Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Internet Kraken posted:

Can you sell the baby at a shop for some spare cash though?

My memory maybe fuzzy, but I think if you misplace the baby or something Aerie dies. Although I could be confusing that with breaking up with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

FauxGateau posted:

My memory maybe fuzzy, but I think if you misplace the baby or something Aerie dies. Although I could be confusing that with breaking up with her.

It sounds to me you're confusing Aerie with some horrible Mary Sue mod character that literally died of heartbreak if you cheated on her. Like just drop dead to the floor where she stands.

That same Mary Sue was also like 15 years old if I remember it correctly.

So yeah what the bioware fandom is concerned, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Fake edit: The NPC is called Saerileth and she is indeed 15 and romanceable.

Deltasquid fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 27, 2014

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

I said come in! posted:

I appreciate romance options in video games because no one in real life will love me.

:(:hf::(

Internet Kraken posted:

Can you sell the baby at a shop for some spare cash though?

Maybe they're just trying to make it like the highschool project you always see in sitcoms with the egg baby. Just boil the baby and everything will be fine.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

It sounds to me you're confusing Aerie with some horrible Mary Sue mod character that literally died of heartbreak if you cheated on her. Like just drop dead to the floor where she stands.

That same Mary Sue was also like 15 years old if I remember it correctly.

So yeah what the bioware fandom is concerned, the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Holy poo poo, I might have a bunch of gamer.txt content on the first google search of reviews for this mod.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Deltasquid posted:

So it's less worse than I thought? Huh.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
As far as Aerie's baby goes I imagine you just don't have the option to remove it from your inventory, much like how you cannot take Boo away from Minsc.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Of course the baby would be safe buried deep in your item pouch beneath all the vendor trash.

This is only tangentially related, but you know what I like in games? When that family heirloom item you get at the start is actually really good/can become something really good later on. It always bugs me when the second I get to the first vendor I'm always pawning off my precious family keepsake because the 50 gold I'll get from it is worth more than keeping it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

FauxGateau posted:

You're thinking of Saerelith, the mod romance wherein the title character can die at several points if you cheat on her/break up with her.

Just straight up dies, of heartbreak.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Internet Kraken posted:

This is only tangentially related, but you know what I like in games? When that family heirloom item you get at the start is actually really good/can become something really good later on. It always bugs me when the second I get to the first vendor I'm always pawning off my precious family keepsake because the 50 gold I'll get from it is worth more than keeping it.

Pretty sure you mean 50 coppers which is even worse. ;( Never actually seen that happen though, what game have you played where it ends up being useful?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Not quite the same but IIRC, in The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing your first crafted weapon turns out to be utter crap, and the blacksmith offers to buy it from you for a few coins. You can decline and tell him you'll keep it for sentimental reasons, but much later it can be turned into one of the strongest weapons of the game.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
In Icewind Dale 1 you can give the shattered Sword of Aihonen to Jhonen who will then give you the restored blade back in the very last chapter of the game. It is not technically a family heirloom, because Aihonen "lost" it in his fight with Icasaracht, but Jhonen is the offspring of Aihonen. The restored sword is the strongest sword in the game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

the least weasel posted:

Pretty sure you mean 50 coppers which is even worse. ;( Never actually seen that happen though, what game have you played where it ends up being useful?

Devil May Cry? :v:

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

That's the arena from the second Hunger Games.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

ElrondHubbard posted:

David Gaiter just did a thing about romances. My personal favorite section is: "We took away that romance because we’re mean, or because we’re boring and couldn’t we see that the romance they wanted would be so much more interesting? And that romance we actually put in is not only terrible but is homophobic/biphobic/racist/pedophilia/etc., which their romance pairing would not be."

Here's the full article:
http://dgaider.tumblr.com/post/73744594703/on-the-question-of-romances

He says they did some games with no romances, which ones were those? My only gripe about the romances is how much ugly comes out of people over them. I lost count how many massive threads exploded over ME3 regarding same sex options, and everyone was being absolutely horrible regardless of taken stance.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The threads exploded over romances, full stop.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
Someone reminded me they did character or love interest reveals one year on Valentines Day (romantic). I wonder if they'll do the same this year?

Cleatcleat
Mar 27, 2010
Recently was revealed that Trevor Morris is the composer. Did a quick google search and he did the music on Olympus Has Fallen, and other stuff but this one sticks out as a recent watch on Netflix, because I remember nothing from that movie. Except the music. So DA3 got a minor +1 in the category to buy.

Leelee posted:

Someone reminded me they did character or love interest reveals one year on Valentines Day (romantic). I wonder if they'll do the same this year?

That or they're gonna put out a dev dairy. Something was said about them filming 5 or 7 of them and gonna stagger the release of them over the next while.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This:

poptart_fairy posted:

The threads exploded over romances, full stop.

and this:

Cleatcleat posted:

That or they're gonna put out a dev dairy. Something was said about them filming 5 or 7 of them and gonna stagger the release of them over the next while.

will mean more explosions, more publicity and advertisement, and more happy Bioware execs.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

He says they did some games with no romances, which ones were those?

The first Baldur's gate, and Shattered Steel which was a shockingly good mech sim. I'd imagine MDK as well

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
I'm doing another runthrough of DA2, and can't decide who to romance...it's between Merrill and Anders, since I've already seen Fenris' and Isabela's romance plots.

I think I'm doomed either way.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Celibacy is your best option.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Psion posted:

Celibacy is your best option.

Sebastian then.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Leelee posted:

I'm doing another runthrough of DA2, and can't decide who to romance...it's between Merrill and Anders, since I've already seen Fenris' and Isabela's romance plots.

I heard the end of the Uninstall Button's romance is really satisfactory.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Leelee posted:

Although I knew by then how the game ends, I felt much less uncomfortable with romancing Anders than romancing Merrill. I had that creepy feeling that I should be locked up for seducing a child. Rivalry-romance Anders, that arc plays out much better than the friendship-romance.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 28, 2014

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Torrannor posted:

Although I knew by then how the game ends, I felt much less uncomfortable with romancing Anders than romancing Merrill. I had that creepy feeling that I should be locked up for seducing a child. Rivalry-romance Anders, that arc plays out much better than the friendship-romance.

Edit: DA2 haters alerted to a heretic trying to play through the DA2 blasphemy! Already recommending to uninstall the game! You guys are quick.

I was bored and started another DA2 run and I have to say that with the addition of the DLC missions it's grown on me. Act 3 still feels really bare, but I quite enjoyed legacy and mark of the assassin was a fun romp.
Plus playing a destruction/force/blood mage is hilarious, gravitic ring, then fire, lightning, fist of the maker and haemorrhage does silly damage.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

I was bored and started another DA2 run and I have to say that with the addition of the DLC missions it's grown on me. Act 3 still feels really bare, but I quite enjoyed legacy and mark of the assassin was a fun romp.
Plus playing a destruction/force/blood mage is hilarious, gravitic ring, then fire, lightning, fist of the maker and haemorrhage does silly damage.

Playing a bloodmage and siding with the templars because 'blood magic is bad' at the end is the best part of DA2.

seriously DAO and DA2 were rear end when it came to letting you be a bloodmage with no one caring/noticing beyond maybe one line of dialogue.

If you're going to put in a single advanced class type thing that actually affects the story make it actually affect the story, don't go 'oh... yeah. No one cares because you're you.'

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

KittyEmpress posted:

Playing a bloodmage and siding with the templars because 'blood magic is bad' at the end is the best part of DA2.

seriously DAO and DA2 were rear end when it came to letting you be a bloodmage with no one caring/noticing beyond maybe one line of dialogue.

If you're going to put in a single advanced class type thing that actually affects the story make it actually affect the story, don't go 'oh... yeah. No one cares because you're you.'

There was actually a mage specialization that had things like curses in them. That could have been the go-to class for "evil" or renegade characters, while keeping blood magic entirely out of the hands of the player.

On the other hand, since they invested so much time in fleshing out blood magic they probably felt it would be unsatisfying to have no access to it.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

KittyEmpress posted:

Gaider's acknowledged that was a problem, so, who knows, they might actually have some reactions to you being a bloodmage in Inquisition. They probably won't though.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
I kind of love how characters call out my sarcastic Hawke out on her bullshit. I'm playing a mage, so I have Carver, who just told me that "you make a joke of everything". It's just sort of satisfying to play such an rear end in a top hat character.

I've never actually played a blood mage, so I'll have to try it this time.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Leelee posted:

I kind of love how characters call out my sarcastic Hawke out on her bullshit. I'm playing a mage, so I have Carver, who just told me that "you make a joke of everything". It's just sort of satisfying to play such an rear end in a top hat character.

I've never actually played a blood mage, so I'll have to try it this time.

Using all the AOE spells trivialises most fights, it's great.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
If you all HAVE to pick- which romance do you go with in DA2- Isabela, Fenris, Anders, Sebastian, or Merrill.

(Death is not an option).

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

Using all the AOE spells trivialises most fights, it's great.

Not to mention you can sink all your mana into passives like rock armor, arcane shield, etc and then still cast spells from your HP if you're set up right.

I remember Morrigan in cloth could tank Gaxkang better than Alistair could in full plate.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Leelee posted:

If you all HAVE to pick- which romance do you go with in DA2- Isabela, Fenris, Anders, Sebastian, or Merrill.

If male, Isabela.

If female, Sebastian?

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Leelee posted:

I have a soft spot for Fenris, despite habitually playing a mage.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Eddain posted:

If male, Isabela.

If female, Isabela.
Fixed that for you.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

Eddain posted:

If female, Sebastian?

Sebastian if you rivaled him into pressing his claim while siding Templars yourself nets you the unstoppable Kirkwall-Starkhaven duo that's sure to dominate the Free Marches, his words. Future entries in this franchise are sure to never touch upon this idea again if not outright handwave it into oblivion.

so obviously that one

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Leelee posted:

Merrill

Yeah, I went there. I like Merrill. Anyone got a problem with that? :colbert:

KoB
May 1, 2009

SgtSteel91 posted:

Merrill

Yes. Shes terrible.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

SgtSteel91 posted:

Merrill

so what's it like having an LI that never, ever takes off the wedding dress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

SgtSteel91 posted:

Merrill

I find her wonky welsh accent a bit grating.

e. she suffers from the same problem as Leliana - despite having an actual welsh VA it sounds kind of fake.

• Locked thread