Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Is Asphalt and Rubber like Iron and Resin or is it like Blood and Oil or Iron and Air or Seaweed and Gravel?

Asphalt and Rubber appears to be non-poseur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I had a dream last night that it was 65 degrees in Wisconsin. I practically woke up in tears to 0 degrees.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Hey I've no idea if you can pull the video to put up on your site but Belstaff, formerly makers of very nice, if slightly pricey leathers, have gone full motherfucking hipster in the last few years:

http://www.belstaff.co.uk/men/pure-motorcycle/

Now their "premium motorcycle wear" is made from loving waxed cotton and yet still manages to be pricier than Alpinestars stuff.

e: Oh tell a lie you can get a jacket with a whole 1 millimetre-thick leather shell (most bike leathers are 6mm or more) for a mere £1050

We have their David Beckham ad in our list of videos to post

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

HNasty posted:

We have their David Beckham ad in our list of videos to post

I love that every hipster bike video has some moment with an angle grinder spraying sparks, even when they're supposedly doing repairs on the side of the road.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

e: Oh tell a lie you can get a jacket with a whole 1 millimetre-thick leather shell (most bike leathers are 6mm or more)

Most actual moto leather is around 1.3mm, sometimes getting up to 1.6mm. Leathers a half a centimeter thick would be stiff and hot as hell, think of your own skin then think of the poor cow that poo poo would have to come from

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Z3n posted:

I love that every hipster bike video has some moment with an angle grinder spraying sparks, even when they're supposedly doing repairs on the side of the road.

It's also always on the rear subframe too, because it's always the pesky vestigal pillion peg mounts that leave you stranded

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Z3n posted:

What the gently caress is the deal with this? Do these turds think that's a really common thing to do to your bike, like checking the chain? All of their bikes must just be covered with grinder scars. Some day there's going to be a blooper reel from one of their stupid videos where some knob goes up in a ball of flames because his leaky lovely CB750 had gas all over it when he decided to do the grinder rooster tail.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

What the gently caress is the deal with this? Do these turds think that's a really common thing to do to your bike, like checking the chain?
Sometimes I'll pass a bike that has a more cafe seat than my cafe seat, and I'll have to bust out my battery powered Ryobi One grinder to make my cafe seat more cafe.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Is Asphalt and Rubber like Iron and Resin or is it like Blood and Oil or Iron and Air or Seaweed and Gravel?

What would the CA shop be called, Chain Lube and Skidmarks?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Keyboards and Cheetos

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Post about riding, don't ride cause I'm postin.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mr. Eric Praline posted:

Sometimes I'll pass a bike that has a more cafe seat than my cafe seat, and I'll have to bust out my battery powered Ryobi One grinder to make my cafe seat more cafe.

Ryobi One? Yeah I guess if you like radioactive, carcinogenic cheap plastic tools made by lawyers and accountants. I prefer to use my vintage Black & Decker, built buy manly men back when people actually used tools to build things.

Also, dear lord, I think I found a hipster tools website. (I should have guessed this is exactly what I'd find when I searched for "vintage angle grinder")
http://www.flamingsteel.com/my-vintage-tool-collection.php

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That guy is insufferable.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Linedance posted:

Ryobi One? Yeah I guess if you like radioactive, carcinogenic cheap plastic tools made by lawyers and accountants. I prefer to use my vintage Black & Decker, built buy manly men back when people actually used tools to build things.

Also, dear lord, I think I found a hipster tools website. (I should have guessed this is exactly what I'd find when I searched for "vintage angle grinder")
http://www.flamingsteel.com/my-vintage-tool-collection.php

I...wow. That is a loving thing, jesus.

flamingsteel

Godspeed, you can indeed throw down a bead, sir.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 29, 2014

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

hot sauce posted:

What would the CA shop be called, Chain Lube and Skidmarks?

Skidmarks and Skidmarks.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Xovaan posted:

Skidmarks and Skidmarks.

The SkidMarx

quote:

Now once I got really into vintage tools I quickly realized that I wanted everything in my studio to be vintage right down to the smallest details. At the same time though I did not want anything in here that I was not going to use at least eventually. Finding a few NOS cases of old Elephant Brand pencils was a real score. The erasers are dead but the pencils are fine!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Word counts on that page:

Plastic - 27 times
Carcinogenic - 5 times
Radioactive - 1 time
Think of the children - 1 time
Girl/girly as an insult - 3 times
Vintage - 120 TIMES.

And I can't get a good count on the number of times he says in one way or another that men aren't real men anymore.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 29, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You missed "accountants" - 15 times.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 29, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Z3n posted:

The SkidMarx

Skidmarks and Kid Marxists

Captures the SA demographic to a T

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have the same 1957 Atlas Bandsaw as that dude but I dont blog about it. I guess I've been missing out

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Z3n posted:

You missed "accountants" - 15 times.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

Skidmarks and Kid Marxists

Captures the SA demographic to a T

Do you support income redistribution, comrade?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I took out a few words to enhance STEEL VINTAGE VINTAGE OLD METAL SCULPTURE OLD

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Well, this is a total score. A photographer friend was doing some UrbEx in a decomissioned refinery and found these vintage 55 gallon drums in an old warehouse (no doubt left there when some lawyer or accountant decided it was too expensive to be useful). I can't quite make out what they say because the amazing patina has faded some of the words printed on the side, but it's something like "keto.e". Whatever it is in there is a really amazing degreaser, great for cleaning up abused vintage tools and greasy hands... you have to be careful though because it can remove the patina. I got some on my carcinogenic plastic Ryobi I was going to discard, and it completely melted the plastic. Didn't do a thing to the real steel tools though. Far better than the wimpy modern "citrus degreaser" I had in the studio. It smells proper, not like some cheap carcinogenic air freshener some accountant would use to make his kitchen smell pretty.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I really tried to like his artwork but none of it has any aesthetically pleasing traits. It's all uncomfortable to look at and throws off my autistic ASMR

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Linedance posted:

Well, this is a total score. A photographer friend was doing some UrbEx in a decomissioned refinery and found these vintage 55 gallon drums in an old warehouse (no doubt left there when some lawyer or accountant decided it was too expensive to be useful). I can't quite make out what they say because the amazing patina has faded some of the words printed on the side, but it's something like "keto.e". Whatever it is in there is a really amazing degreaser, great for cleaning up abused vintage tools and greasy hands... you have to be careful though because it can remove the patina. I got some on my carcinogenic plastic Ryobi I was going to discard, and it completely melted the plastic. Didn't do a thing to the real steel tools though. Far better than the wimpy modern "citrus degreaser" I had in the studio. It smells proper, not like some cheap carcinogenic air freshener some accountant would use to make his kitchen smell pretty.

Poe's Law stamping on my face, forever.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Linedance posted:

I want to hold this guy's face over a pile of burning plastic until he dies of cancer.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

What did he find and how horribly is he going to die from it?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Collateral Damage posted:

What did he find and how horribly is he going to die from it?

If I had to guess kerosene.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Z3n posted:

Poe's Law stamping on my face, forever.

I had to look it up... dear lord what have I done...

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

http://www.flamingsteel.com/a-fly-in-the-microwave.php

This guy is like a really poor imitation of Nick Offerman.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I guess it just drives home you'll never fail by marketing to the bottom 30%.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Coredump posted:

If I had to guess kerosene.

it was supposed to be ketone, as in methy ethyl or worse, but I suppose I could have used .ylen. too.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Oh I thought it was a quote from the hipster tool site. :downs: I didn't bother reading all of that site because by the fourth paragraph my brain was about ready to pack its bags and jump ship.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Oh, I remember cleaning parts for a Turbomeca Artouste back in school by dipping them by hand in MEK without gloves. Good times.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

The SkidMarx

Skidmarx are actually a company that make quite nice plastics for bikes, my belly pan and hugger are from them. TBH I'd still have bought from them if it was poo poo because you can't ignore a name with both a double-entendre and a reference to leftist politics.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

Oh I thought it was a quote from the hipster tool site. :downs: I didn't bother reading all of that site because by the fourth paragraph my brain was about ready to pack its bags and jump ship.

It took me doing a quick find on his website to verify it wasn't real. Thusly the Poe's Law comment.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

you can't ignore a name with both a double-entendre

I would reference you to the tagline for the website http://www.fuzeblocks.com/

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Snowdens Secret posted:

I would reference you to the tagline for the website http://www.fuzeblocks.com/

Oh shoot, this is awesome! I was going to be building my own out of one of these, but a fuzeblock is right up my alley!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

What the gently caress is the deal with this? Do these turds think that's a really common thing to do to your bike, like checking the chain?

I think that "showers of flaming sparks" is their understanding of "MANLY DANGEROUS MAN doing MANLY DANGEROUS STUFF" and that's the extent of what they've picked up on. Like in action movies where people have fights in "factories" that seem to produce nothing but showers of sparks and jets of steam. Or in video games where you can repair anything by pointing a portable blowtorch at the part of it that makes sparks for a couple of minutes and it makes an electric arc buzzing noise for some reason and then presto the thing is done being fixed.

But seriously,

Snowdens Secret posted:

it's always the pesky vestigal pillion peg mounts that leave you stranded

bingo, gotta remove those to ensure your babe has to dangle her feet in the wind or burn them on the exhaust or whatever

Z3n posted:

Godspeed, you can indeed throw down a bead, sir.

bahahahhahahah gently caress

quote:

Now once I got really into vintage tools I quickly realized that I wanted everything in my studio to be vintage right down to the smallest details. At the same time though I did not want anything in here that I was not going to use at least eventually. Finding a few NOS cases of old Elephant Brand pencils was a real score. The erasers are dead but the pencils are fine! I scored these a few years ago at Midland Liquidators for two bucks a box. I figure I got enough pencils with the five or ten cases to last me most of my life. I would have prefered American made ones but even these were a rare find.

Vintage pencils, dude! The graphite was just, like better back then

Radioactive - 1 time

This is the one I don't understand at all. New tools are way, way less radioactive than old tools. I have camera lenses from the 1960s where the glass is like 40% thorium. Everyone used to use thoriated electrodes in their TIG welders until lanthanum ceramic became a thing. Old tools are lousy with stuff like uranium oxides (ceramic glazes, paints) and radium (watch faces, etc).

I love good old tools too, but jeez, please tell me that site's a joke