Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

BadAstronaut posted:

I would honestly accept just DQ3 nicely translated. I own 8 and don't see how/why that could be improved.

And still holding out for DQ7 English translation at some point in life...

I think the guy who translated DQ3 on GBC is on these forums. You probably hurt his feelings. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

I've not played any of them beyond five minutes of a ROM hack on SNES - there was nothing pejorative about my statement. Remove the 'nicely' if it makes people feel better :)

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

BadAstronaut posted:

And still holding out for DQ7 English translation at some point in life...

I don't think it'll happen. They brought over DQM2, but there hasn't been any word on Terry's Wonderland and it came out a year and a half ago.

I think the problem with these kinds of games is that they just don't sell well over here, and I don't think the Japanese companies consider a small profit to be worth the cost of translation. I think it's dumb, but I know several Japanese companies that just do not think very much about anything outside Japan. Thankfully dudes like Carpe Fulgur are trying to change that, but it's slow.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Arcaeris posted:

dudes like Carpe Fulgur are trying to change that, but it's slow.

Say what now?

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

BadAstronaut posted:

I would honestly accept just DQ3 nicely translated. I own 8 and don't see how/why that could be improved.

I do. The environments are fairly sparse when you boil it down, and the story has some pacing issues that could stand to be corrected (it takes the party forever to get the ability to fly, and they just happen to arrive at the same place at the same time as the thing they got the flying ability to chase after, even though it started its trek to that place before the party began its search for the ability to fly—hurray run-on sentences).

I also yearn for anti-aliasing and color correction when I look at DQ8 now.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SereneCrimson posted:

You guys REALLY wanted to play Dragon Quest 8 on your phone... right?

:negative:
Of course this gets to happen, but we can't get a drat localization of 7 on 3DS.

Can't wait to pay :20bux: or more for each of these games! Maybe we'll be double lucky and they'll also use recolored FFD sprites like they did in FF5 and are likely to do in FF6's iOS port this winter. :shepface:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Can't wait to pay :20bux: or more for each of these games! Maybe we'll be double lucky and they'll also use recolored FFD sprites like they did in FF5 and are likely to do in FF6's iOS port this winter. :shepface:

It's quite unlikely that they'll outsource these ports to Matrix Software on a shoestring budget. If nothing else, Akira Toriyama is always the art director on anything Dragon Quest-related. Armor Project also seems to have more stringent requirements for remakes and such than Square Enix.

Instead it'll almost certainly be ArtePiazza again.

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Terpfen posted:

I also yearn for anti-aliasing and color correction when I look at DQ8 now.

I don't want this to get :filez:-ey but isn't that sorted by running it on an emulator on your fancy big PC?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

BadAstronaut posted:

I don't want this to get :filez:-ey but isn't that sorted by running it on an emulator on your fancy big PC?

Yeah, and it's awesome!

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

BadAstronaut posted:

It helps a lot, but the scaling causes 2D or static elements (like menus and text) to look pretty bad. It's a trade-off, IMO.

It also doesn't enhance the game so much as put a better spin on what's there. I think DQ8 is ripe for enhancement.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

BadAstronaut posted:

Say what now?

I remember reading one of the dudes posting about how Recettear was such a success that it helped make it easier for them to have success translating more stuff and bringing it over, because the Japanese guys had no idea something like that would sell well here.

I've certainly noticed a lot more Japanese games coming over on Steam, where PC gaming is such a different animal in Japan. Look at the top 100 bestsellers under PC gaming in Amazon Japan, and you still see Ultima Online timecards up there.

Talen_Soti
Mar 30, 2010
Just checking in but DQVC seems to be up for me. Its Halloween-themed so that may be why.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

New Dragon Quest stuff coming to the US, probably:

quote:

Siliconera dug up trademarks for Luminaries of the Legendary Line and The Seeds of Salvation registered in Japan by Square Enix. These trademarks are in English, which suggest they will be used for a Western release.

The article is a bit more optimistic, speculating that it'll be some of the recent 3DS offerings, but those titles are almost assuredly going to be for Dragon Quest 1+2 (Legends) and Dragon Quest 3 (Seeds) smartphone ports.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
If it's DQ related, I'm buying it day one.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I really want to play Dragon Quest 3 with a modern localization, but it sucks that it's gonna be smartphone. How much effort does it take to port that stuff to the 3DS/Vita as download titles?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Last Celebration posted:

I really want to play Dragon Quest 3 with a modern localization, but it sucks that it's gonna be smartphone. How much effort does it take to port that stuff to the 3DS/Vita as download titles?

It has an snes translation:

http://www.dqtranslations.com/projects/dragon-quest-3-remix-snes-translation-project

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Which is awful and no one should play, it has really basic glitches that I guess never were fixed. I'd honestly play the NES or GBC versions over it, though I personally just play it untranslated since it is the best version of the game, it's just that the patch kinda sucks.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Uznare posted:

Which is awful and no one should play, it has really basic glitches that I guess never were fixed. I'd honestly play the NES or GBC versions over it, though I personally just play it untranslated since it is the best version of the game, it's just that the patch kinda sucks.

Can't really complain about something the fans did for free.

Also, they did an update that should've cleared the bugs, I didn't have any real problems.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I also just recently played the SNES translation of DQ3 and aside from a few tiny bugs, it was perfectly fine. Lovely game, too; I'd only ever played it on the NES as a kid.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

No complaints about the SNES/SFC DQ3 patch here, either. I played it a couple of years ago and it worked fine from beginning to end. The script was a little rough in spots, but it was much better than grinding through the NES or GBC versions.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Terpfen posted:

No complaints about the SNES/SFC DQ3 patch here, either. I played it a couple of years ago and it worked fine from beginning to end. The script was a little rough in spots, but it was much better than grinding through the NES or GBC versions.

The GBC version is based entirely on the SFC one down the drop and exp tables, it's just shittier looking, there's even one more bonus dungeon in it.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Screenshots of the DQ1 mobile port.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

drat, that's ugly as sin.

I don't remember any bugs from the DQ3 SNES translation, I thought it was quite well done. I agree with Mister Roboto, don't be a butt about a passion project done in someone's free time.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

The earlier releases of the patch had some pretty big bugs, if I remember right. Stuff like checking the party status screen would cause the game to crash, that sort of thing. But those were worked out years ago.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Uznare posted:

The GBC version is based entirely on the SFC one down the drop and exp tables, it's just shittier looking, there's even one more bonus dungeon in it.

Sorry, I can't handle the script or the limited resolution.

SereneCrimson
Oct 10, 2007

I am the morning sun, come to vanquish this horrible night!
Dragon Quest 1 & 2 for Mobile has received ESRB rating
Link has some screens (I think it looks pretty lovely to be honest)

Guess we'll be getting at least a few in NA. Maybe not all 8.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Wow… that does look lovely, yes. It looks like they're incorrectly scaling the SNES version graphics. That's terrible.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
That looks bad. Like, give me the NES graphics over that bad.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It doesn't even run smoothly, from what I've been told.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I never played the game on the NES, but I liked playing the first one on the phone. It did have slowdown issues sometimes though. But being able to save anywhere and grind on the go allowed me to actually beat it, which felt kind of good since I've never been able to beat any of those old NES games. I had to use a guide pretty liberally though, since it was the Japanese version and my language skills are not there yet.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
The more I think about it the more this port surprises me. I have a hard time imagining the original Dragon Quest being well-received today. Its pacing is wretched by modern standards. The game only has a handful of objectives and you need to be high level to do them all. The vast majority of the game is grinding up to the level and gear necessary to do those few things.

Dragon Quest II is a much better game structurally. The original's big weakness is that it is brutally and unfairly hard, which is something that's easy to fix in a port.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Draile posted:

Dragon Quest II is a much better game structurally. The original's big weakness is that it is brutally and unfairly hard, which is something that's easy to fix in a port.

I beat this game when I was 10, in 1990.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dragon Quest II isn't too hard, but it's damned inconvenient. To bring it up to speed with the rest of the series, it would need some means of fast travel.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Dragon Quest II isn't too hard, but it's damned inconvenient. To bring it up to speed with the rest of the series, it would need some means of fast travel.

Fast travel, an infinite storage bag, and reworking the spell lists.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
How about not giving non-boss enemies defeat?

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.
Nuts to that. I suffered through the Cave to Rhone, kids today can suffer through it too.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
This is how hazing continues.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Draile posted:

The original's big weakness is that it is brutally and unfairly hard, which is something that's easy to fix in a port.

The original DQ is remarkably easy for an RPG of that era. It's mostly grinding, but even the amount of grinding necessary in each area is light compared to most 80s or 90s RPGs.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006

There's only like 10 things to buy, too. After my brother told me about how people are raging at Bravely Default because "it doesn't explain anything to you," I can't imagine anyone playing DQ1 today and not being totally confused. Most of the the key items are only vaguely mentioned (like silver harp, or flute for Golem), and two whole items you have no idea what they actually do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Really, what struck me about the original Dragon Quest is that most of the game is grind. There's so little to actually do. It's telling that the TAS for the game is less than 20 minutes.