Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Replace Furret with Linoone and added in Zangoose.

What kind of move sets do I even put on them to maximize their potential? I'm so acustomed to doubles now I've become flustered with choosing singles sets. My team's unfinalized movesets prior to my post were:
Weavile
Ability: Pickpocket
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Night Slash
- Icicle Crash
- Fake Out
- Punishment

Mienshao @ Lum Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Drain Punch
- High Jump Kick
- Fake Out

Typhlosion @ Zoom Lens
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Eruption
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hidden Power [Water]

Floatzel @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Swift Swim
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Switcheroo
- Crunch
- Brick Break

Furret @ Focus Sash
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spd / 252 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Me First
- Baton Pass
- Reversal
- Amnesia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stalgren
Mar 22, 2006

Charizard Go!
It's time to jam.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

MustelaFuro posted:

What kind of move sets do I even put on them to maximize their potential? I'm so acustomed to doubles now I've become flustered with choosing singles sets. My team's unfinalized movesets prior to my post were:
Weavile
Jolly Nature
- Night Slash
- Icicle Crash
- Fake Out
- Punishment

So what is the point of this Weavile set? Like, Pickpocket is kind of a trash ability (I'm like 98% sure one of the ferrets gets Switcheroo and or Trick. Hell, Flame Orb Switcheroo Floatzel is a pretty decent set) and you've built for all the big damage. I'd run Ice Shard because Priority is always nice, and Pursuit over Punishment.

If you can, give Typhlosion HP Grass. Gives you most of the coverage of water AND covers Water types. Water only lets you hit other fire types and honestly no one's gonna which out a fire type against you unless it knows EQ or Stone Edge and then you're dead if you can't 1 shot them.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

The reason for punishment was I was thinking about if my opponent had just KO'ed one of my other pokemon with a buffed pokemon, Weavile could come in and punish it.

I was also thinking of running Encore on a fast but not threatening Pokemon like Linoone so that the opponent would be more tempted to use a buff (since clearly Linoone isn't 1HKOing anything) then I could encore-trap it and switch in Weavile

The thing is, I don't know very well which Pokemon or move sets I'm most likely going to run in to. Is buffing common in the singles meta, or is just hammering away with attacks from the start more common?

I figured my best bet for winning would be unconventional tactics that opponents won't expect.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

MustelaFuro posted:

The reason for punishment was I was thinking about if my opponent had just KO'ed one of my other pokemon with a buffed pokemon, Weavile could come in and punish it.

I was also thinking of running Encore on a fast but not threatening Pokemon like Linoone so that the opponent would be more tempted to use a buff (since clearly Linoone isn't 1HKOing anything) then I could encore-trap it and switch in Weavile

The thing is, I don't know very well which Pokemon or move sets I'm most likely going to run in to. Is buffing common in the singles meta, or is just hammering away with attacks from the start more common?

I figured my best bet for winning would be unconventional tactics that opponents won't expect.

Punishment is weaker than Knock Off unless they have 5 or more boosts if they have an item and 4 or more without an item. When a lot of things can sweep through your frail team with only two boosts (a single Swords Dance, Dragon Dance, Nasty Plot, etc) you're probably not going to run into situations where Punishment is better. Trapping something into a set-up move is definitely useful but most players will just switch out on the turn you switch in Weavile, so attempting to use that with Punishment won't be very effective.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Stalgren posted:

It's time to jam.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

MustelaFuro posted:

What kind of move sets do I even put on them to maximize their potential? I'm so acustomed to doubles now I've become flustered with choosing singles sets.
Zangoose is easy--give him Night Slash, Close Combat, Return (or Facade, if you can snag one with the Toxic Boost HA and a Toxic Orb) and Swords Dance. Hits drat near everything in the game for at least neutral damage. His main problem is a lack of bulk and speed but he can tear apart poison walls like Muk or Weezing.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 29, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Linoone gets Extremespeed and Bellydrum, but low defenses make it a dubious prospect.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

MustelaFuro posted:

Buffing is definitely more common in singles than in Doubles, but Punishment doesn't really have enough power to justify its use. After your foe uses one Dragon Dance or Swords Dance or Bulk Up, Punishment will have 100 power. Problem is, you're not going to OHKO much with a 100-power Dark move, and whatever boosted attack they fire back with is going to one-shot Weavile for sure. If you used Knock Off instead, it has 97.5 power against something holding an item, which comes out to about the same damage plus deprives the enemy of its item so you're at least slightly less screwed.

In the first place, having Night Slash and Punishment is redundant. Night Slash has 70 power and Punishment has 60 power if the foe has no stat changes, which means you're hauling two Dark moves of about equal power. Of course, Knock Off has 65 base power and gets a 50% boost if used against something carrying an item, so it outperforms both Night Slash and Punishment and is the Dark move to use this gen.

Also, that Furret set looks a little off to me. It's not a terrible set, but it absolutely doesn't fit in with your team. You've got a very "Fast and kind of Furious" team style there, with high speeds, middling-to-high attack stats, and basically no bulk whatsoever; are you sure Amnesia is the best thing Furret can Baton Pass around - or, for that matter, whether Furret can even find the opportunity to Baton Pass anything? With the Me First and Reversal, it kind of looks like you're thinking of stealing the opponent's stat boosts and then passing them to Weavile and using Punishment to counterattack, or something like that, but it seems risky - Furret isn't really intimidating or bulky enough to pull off any kind of boosting strategy, and that set completely relies on being able to outspeed the opponent (with Furret's base 90 speed) in order to use the threat of boosted Me First attacks to prevent the enemy from just killing it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This is the only decent Furret set, sadly.

Furret
Frisk
Jolly @ Choice Band/Scarf
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Trick
Return/Double-Edge
U-Turn
Coverage (Shadow Claw, Aqua Tail, Brick Break, etc.)

With Frisk, you can decide if you wanna Trick or not. If you do, you trick, then U-Turn out. If not, then you either U-Turn out, or threaten with Choice Band boosted Return/Double-Edge, if you think it's enough to clean up.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
At last, I have the Shiny Charm! I wonder which pokemon it actually increases the chance to be shiny. The description says that it increases the chances that "wild pokemon" will be shiny. Smogon has a thread about this and they note that the Japanese text does not mention wild pokemon.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!

The Leper Colon V posted:

This is the only decent Furret set, sadly.

Furret
Frisk
Jolly @ Choice Band/Scarf
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Trick
Return/Double-Edge
U-Turn
Coverage (Shadow Claw, Aqua Tail, Brick Break, etc.)

With Frisk, you can decide if you wanna Trick or not. If you do, you trick, then U-Turn out. If not, then you either U-Turn out, or threaten with Choice Band boosted Return/Double-Edge, if you think it's enough to clean up.

This exact Furret set (minus Frisk since it was Gen 4) is the first pokemon I ever bred for IVs and EV trained. I wanted my first tryhard breeding project to be the least tryhard pokemon I could think of. It's probably the only reason I still remember Furret exists.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Chimeric posted:

... and cracked 100 (and am still going) on my first try. So my final successful Maison team is SubDisable Gengar as my lead, backed up by Weakness Policy Multiscale Dragonite and Roosting/Swords Dancing Mega Scizor. Onward to Doubles!

I've been using this team for like 3 attempts now. It always loses in the 40's, and SubDisable Gengar is a constant disappointment. For every game he sweeps the floor with the opponents there are 4-5 where he dies having dealt basically no damage. I'm probably going to swap him for Greninja for now and see how that works out, and after that I'm going to try Specs Frisk Switcheroo Noivern.

Is there anything in particular you guys with this team have been doing that makes Gengar better?

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
I feel like Showdown Battlespot Singles is where everyone who was really mad when Mega Kangaskhan was banned went.

Luckily, Infernape outspeeds it, one shots it, and gives zero fucks so.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Classtoise posted:

I feel like Showdown Battlespot Singles is where everyone who was really mad when Mega Kangaskhan was banned went.

Luckily, Infernape outspeeds it, one shots it, and gives zero fucks so.

What set do you use to one shot MegaKhan?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
2400 Honedges and no shiny, I hate myself and I hate this game :(

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Okay, here is the rejiggered team though still minus one member, which I'm still indecisive on. Can Skuntank be used for anything, at all? And could Alakazam possibly be considered a weasel?

Jude Claw (Weavile) (M) @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Brick Break
- Icicle Crash
- Fake Out
- Knock Off

Charlie Slaplin (Mienshao) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Drain Punch
- High Jump Kick
- Fake Out

Anna Burnallova (Typhlosion) (F) @ Power Herb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Focus Blast
- Eruption
- Will-O-Wisp
- Solar Beam

Henry Slinkler (Linoone) (M) @ Normal Gem
Ability: Quick Feet
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 30 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef
- ExtremeSpeed
- Sunny Day
- Retaliate
- Play Rough

Peter Sprinklage (Floatzel) (M) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
Jolly Nature
- Aqua Tail
- Switcheroo
- Crunch
- Me First

I'm honestly thinking a weasel team would fair far better in Little Cup, but do people play that much?

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

2400 Honedges and no shiny, I hate myself and I hate this game :(

I could give you mine if it would cheer you up. :v:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mr Confetti posted:

I could give you mine if it would cheer you up. :v:

Nah, I want mine because I know I overlevel way too hard. Thanks though!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

MustelaFuro posted:

I'm honestly thinking a weasel team would fair far better in Little Cup, but do people play that much?

Sneazel's banned in LC.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

The Leper Colon V posted:

Sneazel's banned in LC.

Sneazel too good. Weavile too good.

The best poke. The most adorable weasel.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

MustelaFuro posted:

Okay, here is the rejiggered team though still minus one member, which I'm still indecisive on. Can Skuntank be used for anything, at all? And could Alakazam possibly be considered a weasel?

Skuntank has a fairly decent typing, with just one weakness, but its stat distribution is kind of bad and its offensive movepool is limited. It could probably be pretty solid in the lower tiers, but it's got basically nothing but Poison, Dark, and Normal attacks (plus Flamethrower for some reason), and it doesn't really have the speed or offensive power necessary to make up for its terrible offensive coverage. Maybe you could throw together some weird defensive or utility set using its decent array of status moves, but I'd suspect whatever you end up with has a pretty high chance of being too gimmicky. Its lack of weaknesses and okay-looking bulk could make it a decent defensive mon, but if you give it Assault Vest then you're stuck with just its offensive moves..really, it's kind of a puzzle. If you really need a decent but kinda-slow Dark/Poison attacker that isn't scared of the things Darks and Poisons are usually scared of, definitely go for it. If you think you can piece together a solid, balanced utility mon out of its movepool, you could give it a try. It's the kind of thing with just enough moves that it kind of has potential in various ways, but isn't so great that it sticks out as being useful for anything in particular.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Skuntank has one brilliant niche: The ability to completely checkmate anything weak to dark. Sucker Punch, Pursuit, Taunt, and a decent Attack stat. It's basically Bisharp Junior in the mindgames department.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

I just want to say I love your names and I have been stealing it for my in game Pokemon, but I'm not nearly as clever. I have:

Klefli: Keyth Urban
Aegialash: Stably Kubrick
Rotom: Wash Groban
Tyrantiar: Sandy Travis
Amoongis: will.i.plant
Trying to think of a good one for Pinsir.

I also have:
Talonflame: Glenn Peck
Chadelure: Chandelure Bing
Gliscor: Bat Damon
Mamoswine: Tusker Max
Lucario: Steela Kunis (some goon more clever than me thought of that one)
Exlpoud: Fred Burst

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

why oh WHY posted:

What set do you use to one shot MegaKhan?

Banded with Close Combat. Guaranteed OHKO on Megakhan

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I usually just name mine the first thing that springs to mind, but if I'm stumped, I admit I fall back on stupid celebrity pun names too. I was going to name my Eelektross 'Fleshlight' but that seemed kind of gross even for me. So now he's named 'Chewy Lewis' instead. I'm trying to decide whether I should pair him with 'And the Nuzleaf' for Doubles.

Classtoise posted:

Banded with Close Combat. Guaranteed OHKO on Megakhan
How do you avoid getting KO'd by a STAB Fake-Out followed by Sucker Punch?

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
Fake out is not standard on mega khan.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Rangpur posted:

How do you avoid getting KO'd by a STAB Fake-Out followed by Sucker Punch?

252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Fake Out vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Infernape: 73-87 (48.3 - 57.6%) -- 91.8% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Infernape: 48-57 (31.7 - 37.7%) -- 92.1% chance to 3HKO

57.6 + 37.7 = 95.3% max.

Regardless, Infernape will rarely be in on the first turn that Mega Kangaskhan is in unless you both lead as it's a revenge killer.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Main Paineframe posted:

but it's got basically nothing but Poison, Dark, and Normal attacks (plus Flamethrower for some reason)

Fart joke. Aftermath is a pretty neat ability too.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Inudeku posted:

Fake out is not standard on mega khan.

I have literally never seen a M-Kenga not running fake out.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Militree posted:

I just want to say I love your names and I have been stealing it for my in game Pokemon, but I'm not nearly as clever. I have:

I also have:

I came up with that, and I still think Lucario Dawson was better. I'm a big fan of Chandelure Bing though.

Might I suggest Pincent Price, or perhaps Pince Vaughn? Pince William?

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

I have literally never seen a M-Kenga not running fake out.

It's so poo poo though. How do you fit it in without sacrificing coverage?

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Militree posted:

I also have:

Haha, thanks. For Pinsir, maybe Kelly Grippa, Anne Wrathaway, Hugo Teething, Richard Plier, Walter Strongbite?

kirbyabc
Mar 2, 2004
:-)

Militree posted:

:lol: this is too good

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Inudeku posted:

It's so poo poo though. How do you fit it in without sacrificing coverage?

How is it poo poo? Due to parental bond it does high damage on top of disabling an opposing pokemon for a turn. Kenga already has great coverage between Return/PuP/Crunch (or SP). What isn't covered by that and what would you use in place of the free damage from Fake out?

VVVv Yes disabling an opponent and taking off 1/4 of their health bar is totally pointless. That's just why literally everyone runs fake out on M-Kenga :psyduck:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 30, 2014

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

How is it poo poo? Due to parental bond it does high damage on top of disabling an opposing pokemon for a turn. Kenga already has great coverage between Return/PuP/Crunch (or SP). What isn't covered by that and what would you use in place of the free damage from Fake out?

Sucker punch. Always. Fake out is pointless.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Inudeku posted:

Sucker punch. Always. Fake out is pointless.

If you're running Sucker Punch Crunch is pointless. Fake out into PuP or Fake Out in SP is basically the best way to run offensive Mega-Khan.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
Fire punch or EQ are simply better than fake out.

They hit super effectively and also can be spammed. You don't need certain conditions to use them.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Inudeku posted:

They hit super effectively and also can be spammed. You don't need certain conditions to use them.

Except what the gently caress does Fire Punch and EQ get you that you can't already handle? Like the stun lets you soften enemies up to let them get sweeped by PuP so you can set up. Then you sweep with literally any other move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Inudeku posted:

Earthquake doesn't benefit from parental bond and has almost identical coverage to PuP. Fire punch has the same problem; Powerup punch provides almost the same coverage, so why not use it instead? The only things those two moves cover that PUP doesn't are electric, fire, and grass. All of those don't resist return so M-Kenga can just reduce most pokemon with that type paste anyways. And the conditions for fake out aren't exactly hard to meet. You just use it when you switch in and get free damage and a disable.

I'm not sure why you're arguing against the move that literally every M-Kangaskhan uses.

• Locked thread