Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They named his character after his pen name?

That's amazing.

I don't think he's explicitly named in the episode, but he's certainly credited in IMDB as playing "Bachman" in that episode.

"All done."
"Where is she?"
"Where's who?"

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 23:08 on Jan 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

People talking poorly about the writing probably have some dumb mental block where they see the surrealism and implausibility of a lot of the plots and freak out because "not real" and overlook the actual nuance of how each plot connects together within an episode thematically and the dozens of subtle character interactions.

No poo poo. It's like an ability to create suspension of disbelief in the audience is a hallmark of decent writing or something, when if everybody would just have the same opinion of it that you do, they'd think it was awesome.

Hello Sailor has a new favorite as of 01:06 on Jan 26, 2014

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Hello Sailor posted:

No poo poo. It's like an ability to create suspension of disbelief in the audience is a hallmark of decent writing or something, when if everybody would just have the same opinion of it that you do, they'd think it was awesome.

Its a function of style. In such a surreal, otherworldly show like Hannibal complaining about the implausibility of a living-person mushroom garden is not a problem that exists on the writing side of the equation.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Cowslips Warren posted:

Was it only in Predator 2 that the whole 'don't kill pregnant prey' was seen? I always wondered if a parent protecting a child, or several children, would rank as a threat worthy of being killed, or swatted aside and ignored because it was being protective rather than offensive?

I thought the whole "don't kill pregnant prey" was a hunting thing. Like hunters aren't supposed to kill pregnant prey, because then they'll run out of future prey.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

I thought the whole "don't kill pregnant prey" was a hunting thing. Like hunters aren't supposed to kill pregnant prey, because then they'll run out of future prey.

I think there are some laws for deer hunting that try to address this. I'm not a hunter but my dad was and there are rules about what season you can hunt bucks and does and such.

I walked into the garage when I was a kid and he had a deer stripped and hanging upside down. It was not long after that that I became a vegetarian.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
Hunting seasons are based so that it doesn't happen.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
Creepshow 2

Specifically, The Raft

The girl that becomes the first victim eyes the blob, bends down towards it, and swirls it with her finger. Here a few shots have the blob with subtle glittering, a couple of faint sparkles look like they were done in post-production. This is a nod to the short story, in which the blob can hypnotize its victims if they stare too long. (If I remember correctly, the lone survivor stares at the blob, gives up, and succumbs to the blob's will.) In the film, there's a different ending. Laverne, the final woman, is raped by Randy. This leads directly to her death and Randy escapes. He makes it to shore and is repeatedly gloating "I beat you!" before the blob forms a wave and blankets him. The remorseless rapist gets his comeuppance, and we're glad to see it happen. When we viewers met the blob, it was a monster. By the end, we're rooting for it and want to see it win.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I don't know. It killed a rapist, which as far as horror movies go is pretty sweet, but at the same time it has just killed like 3 other innocent people, and it's not like it's goin' after the dude because he decided to molest his friend, so if you're rooting for it at any point you're kind of a dick.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's also a pretty lovely change from the theme of the short story which is basically "terrible and incomprehensible things happen to average people for no reason."

Not saying that's not the theme of every Stephen King short story, just as far as horror goes that seems to do the trick more than "the rear end in a top hat gets killed."

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's also a pretty lovely change from the theme of the short story which is basically "terrible and incomprehensible things happen to average people for no reason."

Not saying that's not the theme of every Stephen King short story, just as far as horror goes that seems to do the trick more than "the rear end in a top hat gets killed."

At least it has one of the better King cameos to make up for it. "HOLY GEE, WHAT THE gently caress HAPPENED?"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

At least it has one of the better King cameos to make up for it. "HOLY GEE, WHAT THE gently caress HAPPENED?"

Best one is still in Maximum Overdrive

"Honey? Come on over here, sugarbuns! This machine just called me an rear end in a top hat!"

*cue AC/DC*

Pope Corky the IX has a new favorite as of 16:22 on Jan 29, 2014

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
The first Creepshow had the amazing "Ew, meteor poo poo!"

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ProperCoochie posted:

Creepshow 2

Specifically, The Raft

The girl that becomes the first victim eyes the blob, bends down towards it, and swirls it with her finger. Here a few shots have the blob with subtle glittering, a couple of faint sparkles look like they were done in post-production. This is a nod to the short story, in which the blob can hypnotize its victims if they stare too long. (If I remember correctly, the lone survivor stares at the blob, gives up, and succumbs to the blob's will.) In the film, there's a different ending. Laverne, the final woman, is raped by Randy. This leads directly to her death and Randy escapes. He makes it to shore and is repeatedly gloating "I beat you!" before the blob forms a wave and blankets him. The remorseless rapist gets his comeuppance, and we're glad to see it happen. When we viewers met the blob, it was a monster. By the end, we're rooting for it and want to see it win.

I had nightmares for years as a child after seeing a short portion of this segment.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Was that the one that also had a cigar store Indian come to life and kill some rednecks?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yes.

e: just letting people know Creepshow 2 really sucks compared to 1 if you weren't aware.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Oh man, I remember the meteor episode (because I recognized mono-brow there) and Indian statue episodes from when I was a kid, I need to re-watch those. I'm sure they're terrible!

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Ah, good Ol' Chief Woodenhead :allears:

I remember the Hitchhiker story from 2 when I was a kid. Creeped me the hell out. "Thanks for the ride, lady!"

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Improbable Lobster posted:

I had nightmares for years as a child after seeing a short portion of this segment.

I was jittery on rafts and docks for like, a decade after I saw it myself. And I literally remembered nothing of the third segment until I rewatched the movie as an adult. God that freaked the hell out of me as a kid.

Part of a very short list, as I saw a lot of horror and was a pretty brave kid about it. The first Nightmare on Elm Street scared me for about a day, but then, I was five. I'm not ashamed to admit the first Night of the Living Dead freaked me out, but there's a long story behind that I won't bore you with. And my fourth, and secret scare, the film Terrorvision left me scared to sleep in the same room as a tv, but I didn't tell anyone.

DeathFromAbove1988
Mar 8, 2007

You're a woman, I'm a machine.
So I'm going from memory (which is a little fuzzy due to being very stoned at the time), but while watching Blade Runner for the first time in years I noticed, when the chief is telling Deckard about the 4 replicants, he mentions that one of the females was a pleasure unit, stationed out on some garrison out on the edge of space. While theyre talking, there's a screen with her picture and all her important information. One of the stats listed is Date of Birth (or probably Activation or something): 2/14/2015. Some poor sod couldn't stand to be alone on V-Day.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Watching The Day the Earth Stood Still. Not sure if it's a subtle moment or not, but there is a great bit with two doctors talking about how Klaatu the alien's life expectancy is 130 and that his medicine is far in advance of this and during the conversation both doctors light up cigarettes because, hey! it's the 1950's.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
I just noticed another fantastic series of little touches in Deadwood. In season 2 when Al gets that kidney stone,Dan has to break his door down. First Dan tries to slam it with his shoulder and says he thinks he broke said shoulder. Later on there's a shot where Dan walks downstairs in the Gem with his arm slack at his side and he looks like hes in a little pain. He even lifts up his dangling arm and rests in on the bar. Then, in the next episode E.B. goes and talks with Dan at the Gem. Dan is behind the bar and starts to pour E.B. a cup of coffee with his hurt arm and its shaking so much he uses his other arm to support it. E.B. says "I'll be candid Dan, I did not sleep well last night."

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Rewatching Season 2 of The Sopranos with my girlfriend, after David ends up losing out big at The Executive Game and the crew start looting his store you start to see all kinds of stuff show up in the background of scenes that came from the store.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Since this one just got released on Netflix: In 'The Croods', one of the male protagonists, 'Guy', is telling the Crood family about tomorrow, wrapping it in metaphor with statements like "tomorrow, where there are more suns in the sky than you can imagine". Promptly after that statement, in the background of the scene the idiot Crood son deliberately looks into the sky once to the left, and then deliberately once to the right (a subtle nod to the fact that he was so intellectually stunted it only took 1 additional sun in the sky to be more than he could imagine).

DeathFromAbove1988
Mar 8, 2007

You're a woman, I'm a machine.
After getting some friends into Community when they randomly happened to watch sit down and watch the episode in Season 5 after Pierce dies and the study group is hooked up to the lie detectors. Said friends wanted to start from the beginning, so recently I've been watching through a lot of Season 1 with them. So far I've found a couple of really well played tie-in's from the end of the season 5 ep.

For instance, in one of the first few episodes, Pierce and Jeff end up having to write a short skit for Spanish class, and instead of making it easy, Pierce brings a bottle of good scotch that he refers to as "Hemmingway's Lemonade" and tries to get Jeff to help him write a 10 minute epic called "The Two Conquistodors" (not even "Dos Conquistodores"). Anyway, at the end of the lie detector test, when the group is receiving their gifts from Pierce, Jeff gets a bottle of the same scotch.

The other one I caught that I really liked came at the end of the episode where Troy and Abed are trying to get through the list of quintessential college experiences, so the episode takes on a sort of Animal House motif. At the end, there's a big food fight, and they do the whole freeze frame "So-and-so ended up..." just like the end of Animal House. When it shows Britta, the text reads "Proud owner of an I-pod Nano, 2014." At the end of the lie detector episode, Pierce gives Britta an I-pod nano, filled with inspirational music for when life gets her down. Season five, due to some crazy scheduling, just happened to air in January, 2014.

Well played, Dan Harmon, well played....

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I believe it even says used iPod Nano.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Don't forget the Troy callback in the same episode!

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

mr. stefan posted:

Except its laughing like a huge dickbag when it sets off the bomb, so I don't think it was a point of honorable defeat.

Content: The Wolf of Wall Street is explicitly a story told by its main character, Jordan Belfort, who narrates several scenes and directly addresses the audience at several points. At several points in the movie, Jordan hastily glosses over events in his life that portray him and his lifestyle as less than amazing, such as a co-worker killing themselves; directly contradicts reality at some points, such as by saying he drove home in one piece while high out of his mind on 'ludes (when its shown shortly thereafter that he utterly destroyed his Ferrari in the process;) and at scenes where Jordan is exposed for what he is in a way he can't deny, the narration cuts out entirely, and at at one point the movie directly cuts from his wife forcibly turning him down for sex to Jordan loving her while she's laying motionless and with a blank expression, as if Jordan edited out the part of the film showing that he forced himself on her.

There is a little bit of forshadowing about this in the beginning when he says he drives a white car, but then changes his mind and the car he is driving is now suddenly red. It wasn't until after the movie was over I recalled that little hint and realised a lot of that grand partying and those grateful co-workers were probably bullshit

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

MorgaineDax posted:

Don't forget the Troy callback in the same episode!

Community is the best show ever that has to have a whole season ignored. :stare:

There's also the Beetlejuice joke that took three seasons to pay off.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

DrBouvenstein posted:

Community is the best show ever that has to have a whole season ignored. :stare:

There's also the Beetlejuice joke that took three seasons to pay off.

I love that they continue to refer to it as the "gas leak year."

And here's the Beetlejuice gag, since it was pretty drat subtle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19FMU3M7Jtk

Whiskey
Feb 8, 2004

Back with another one of those block rockin' BEATS
I haven't watched Rocky 3 in many years but decided to watch it again this morning. ~24 minutes in a high school band is playing for an event, for around one second the camera frames the skin of a drum. On the skin is written "Mr. T"

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Small thing, but in Jackie Brown right after you're introduced to Louis (Robert De Niro) he has a conversation with Melanie (Bridget Fonda). It's a pretty quick shot reverse shot, but every time the camera goes back to Louis, he's looking away, unable to make eye contact with Bridget. He says a few words, then brings his eyes back. It tells pretty well about his character before you know much about him.

Let's post stuff about Jackie Brown

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Small thing, but in Jackie Brown right after you're introduced to Louis (Robert De Niro) he has a conversation with Melanie (Bridget Fonda). It's a pretty quick shot reverse shot, but every time the camera goes back to Louis, he's looking away, unable to make eye contact with Bridget. He says a few words, then brings his eyes back. It tells pretty well about his character before you know much about him.

De Niro puts an amazing amount of work into getting into the head of the characters he plays. Apparently he held up the filming of Gilliam's Brazil for weeks because he was running around fuguring out Tuttle's character and then when he got to the set he insisted on doing a huge number of takes for each shot. I think at one point he decided that Tuttle's mechanical dexterity would be somewhat similar to a brain surgeon's performance so he went and sat in on some actual brain surgery to study it.

Brazil also has lots and lots of subtle moments and callbacks/foreshadowing:

quote:

1. Lowry records the destruction of the "personal transport" he signed out, but somehow a "personnel transport" is recorded as being destroyed. I think that the police vehicle that crashes and explodes after the truck chase links back to this. 2. Lowry sets Jill's official status to "Deceased", and later she is apparently shot by the police. 3. Lowry deletes Tuttle from the system. That is when we see Tuttle being "deleted" in real life.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Apparently he held up the filming of Gilliam's Brazil for weeks
I bet Gilliam would be overjoyed if the only reason his filming ever got held up was "actors are getting into character."

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Still watching The Sopranos again with my girlfriend:

In the episode where Tony's mother Livia dies, Tony and his sister Janice discover that while their emotionally destructive, unbalanced mother had thrown away all of Janice and their younger sister Barb's childhood achievements away, she had kept Tony's. This is striking to both the viewers and the characters because of the contempt and hatred that Livia seemed to have for Tony.

At the wake, when everyone is having a surprisingly good time (which I think is a radiating sense of relief at having this one terrible, evil force leave the world), Janice calls everyone into the living room in order to force a touching (though heavily melodramatic and cliched) scene of remembrance for Livia.

During it, Janice remembers her mother as never nurturing her or being nice to her, however in the next sentence describes her mother as having "known that wildflowers grow best in the rocks", excusing her horrifying lack of humanity just like Tony does in therapy.

In her next few sentences, Janice tells everyone in the room how Livia only saved Tony's childhood mementos and threw away Barb's and her own, which was visually heart-breaking news for Barb and was a very Livia-esque move on Janice's part to try and turn Barb against Tony for cruel, petty revenge.

TLDR: Janice and Tony are similar to each other, but Janice displays terrible traits of her mother

Professor Shark has a new favorite as of 12:46 on Feb 12, 2014

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's Livia.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Sweet thanks, changed it

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Let's post stuff about Jackie Brown

I love Jackie Brown.

After Louis's little... "fling" with Melanie, he and Ordell discuss Ordell's relationship with her at a bar. Louis asks him, "But... but what is she to you?"

The song playing in the bar is "Who Is He (And What Is He to You?)" by Bill Withers.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.
Had a few sick days which gave me a chance to watch some new flicks and re-watch some old favorites.

One such old favorite is 13 Assassins. There is a ronin named Hirayama who is seen practicing his swordplay throughout the movie, and when he finishes his practice he sheathes his katana. At the end of the movie, he unsheathes his katana and drops the sheathe, signifying that he won't be putting it away ever again. Like the rest, he dies at the village.

I also got around to watching The Crying Game which I had no idea was on Netflix instant watch. I remember lying there half-cogent and then all of the sudden giving a :stare: when it's revealed Dil is a man. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the issue with the IRA and Dil is that the IRA are Catholic, who believe in Free Will, and are against Protestants, who are all for predetermination. So is the movie staging the IRA and Dil plots to question whether Dil is a woman by choice or by destiny? I'm uncertain on this.

Sin City is a favorite sick day movie for me because it's long and you don't have to pay too much attention to it. I did notice that in the Marv plotline he only seems to get upset about signing the confession when they threaten his mom. I didn't pick up that his mom was mentioned anywhere else in the movie. It just seemed a little bit out of the ordinary and I wasn't sure if there was more to it.

Lastly, I got pretty caught up with The Walking Dead. It was a cool little touch in Season 3 when Lori had a c-section performed in Sector C of the prison. Actually, that show is full of pretty cool little moments like that.

Mr. Kurtz has a new favorite as of 18:20 on Feb 12, 2014

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Mr. Kurtz posted:

Sin City is a favorite sick day movie for me because it's long and you don't have to pay too much attention to it. I did notice that in the Marv plotline he only seems to get upset about signing the confession when they threaten his mom. I didn't pick up that his mom was mentioned anywhere else in the movie. It just seemed a little bit out of the ordinary and I wasn't sure if there was more to it.

The extended cut has a scene with Marv going back to his childhood home to get his gun (actually sneaking to not wake his mom.) But she walks in, and says that some men came by earlier looking for him. Something from the comics, but I never read those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Yeah, Marv loves his (blind) mom.