Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Friday Persona Q update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6psKPODX3I
Shinji

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkXE1Kqf2nI
Yukiko

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Man the more trailers that come out for Q the more and more I hate the artstyle. The graphics just look so..blocky, and the color palette makes everything look smuged. It doesn't really remind me of EO's sprites at all which are pretty crisp.

Game itself looks fun at least, though. Hoping they follow EO's recent trend of having a casual mode so normal mode difficulty doesn't suffer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I find the artstyle really cute, though I agree stuff like the way Yukiko's bangs get all pixelly and weird at the ends is a bit off.

And, well, unlike EO the player characters actually have in-game models.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

You know, is gonna be really weird to have humanity on the brink of destruction or summoning demons like Mara on this artstyle. I can't help but think about Persona Q like being the goofy harmless spinoff.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Man the more trailers that come out for Q the more and more I hate the artstyle. The graphics just look so..blocky, and the color palette makes everything look smuged. It doesn't really remind me of EO's sprites at all which are pretty crisp.

Game itself looks fun at least, though. Hoping they follow EO's recent trend of having a casual mode so normal mode difficulty doesn't suffer.

I think what part of what makes colors look all smudgy comes from the quality of video capping out at 360p. There's a lot of noise in the video that's pretty obvious if you try to gif anything that's moving around.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlsdB6yyKXA
Yukiko Translated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf8r0QkxExc

Shinji Translated

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

oblomov posted:

Didn't SMT IV sell 150k or so I the West?

Not in Europe! :argh:
loving release it in the UK, at least! WE SPEAK ENGLISH!

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

The_White_Crane posted:

No, loving release it in Europe! We speak english too!

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

MonsieurChoc posted:

In my dreams, the special edition of the SMT1 remake is the "All Your Friends Are Dead Edition".

Now, that's not fair. The Heroine survives.

Ok, so she dies and gets reincarnated, granted.

Saigyouji fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 24, 2014

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

I find the artstyle really cute, though I agree stuff like the way Yukiko's bangs get all pixelly and weird at the ends is a bit off.
I think that's in part due to Yukiko having her jet black hair being set in front of her very bright red sweater.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

The_White_Crane posted:

Iceclaw posted:

Random question: why do game developers (especially Japanese ones) hate the EU/PAL zone so much? If it's the translation thing, then, yeah, why not at least release in English speaking countries?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
In this case in particular, Atlus has no European branch. Thus, they cannot publish their games in Europe without going through someone who does (ie Square Enix with Persona 4, NISA with Soul Hackers and Etrian Odyssey 4, etc). The obvious answer is that they should establish an Atlus EU, but hopefully Sega being in charge now means that more of their games will make it over to Europe.

E: Since we're on the subject of SMT4, I just started a new game and I'm going to try and make it farther than just reaching Tokyo. Are magic builds still the go-to build, or are strength builds viable too? I don't seem to remember strength doing a whole lot, but it's also been months since I played so my memory isn't the best thing to go off of. :v:

Artix fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jan 24, 2014

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I think part of it too is that a 3DS screen isn't as large as the video in the youtube player. It'll probably look a lot crisper on a smaller screen.

E:

Artix posted:

E: Since we're on the subject of SMT4, I just started a new game and I'm going to try and make it farther than just reaching Tokyo. Are magic builds still the go-to build, or are strength builds viable too? I don't seem to remember strength doing a whole lot, but it's also been months since I played so my memory isn't the best thing to go off of. :v:

Magic is good, yeah. Physical builds focus on agility do to how physical skill damage is calculated, but I think either is totally viable.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Sega owns Atlus outright now, don't they? Won't they be publishing all their games regardless of territory from here on out?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

if you're going for a physical build it's better to level Dexterity than Strength, which is basically a dump stat.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Artix posted:

In this case in particular, Atlus has no European branch. Thus, they cannot publish their games in Europe without going through someone who does (ie Square Enix with Persona 4, NISA with Soul Hackers and Etrian Odyssey 4, etc). The obvious answer is that they should establish an Atlus EU, but hopefully Sega being in charge now means that more of their games will make it over to Europe.

Time will tell. Right now nothing is confirmed for the US branch as well. The only games currently scheduled for release are Conception II and Daylight. Their side business is to localize and publish non Atlus games. They were recently looking for a web designer for a short term project with Japanese translation as a plus, so something is coming soon.

epitasis posted:

Sega owns Atlus outright now, don't they? Won't they be publishing all their games regardless of territory from here on out?

The Index acquisition was pretty much a transfer of ownership more than a merger. They kept the company structure intact and changed the name from Sega Dream to Index as their first order of business. Pink slips would have gone out a couple months ago if Atlus USA were going to be fired. The home office even visited and bought Persona 3 Movie swag last month.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 24, 2014

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I'm just asking why Atlus would have to worry about setting up a European publisher.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

epitasis posted:

I'm just asking why Atlus would have to worry about setting up a European publisher.

Yeah I'd imagine that Sega will publish Atlus games in Europe from now on, since they have a European branch. Someone at Sega even said that one of the advantages of the buyout will be Atlus being able to utilize Sega's superior distribution network. On the other hand, there's SMT IV. Seems like a weird case though, in that Nintendo said they would publish it before the buyout. I wonder if the reason it is taking so long is from the ensuing chaos that the buyout caused. Either way, hope they hear news about it soon.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Artix posted:

A dex (physical) build will give you more freedom with skills than a magic one, since the latter will have over half of its set busy with all the elemental spells and almighty. Magic builds also tend to be way more expensive MP wise than dex builds. I'd say magic builds are more useful in the beginning, where you need to exploit weaknesses all the time and physical builds are better in the lategame, where you can oneshot any random enemy with Heaven's Bow/Hades Blast anyway.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I feel like Metatron isn't that hard on the surface, but I can't loving beat him. I'd really like to put Devil Survivor - Overclocked behind me finally. I got a solid 70 hours out of the game, but I'd like to move on and be at peace. The guides seems to say to just load up on demons with revive and elec/holy dance, but I just get wiped out too fast. Argh!

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

All you need is holy dance, dual shadow and a demon with Double Up. If you want to get extra silly, savescum for the perfect procs on dance/dual shadow. I was curious and ended up downing him in a single "turn" that way. My MC was around level 70.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Alright, I'm level 75 at this point, and I should have all that stuff. I'll give it a go, thanks!

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Z-Neth posted:

Latest versions have apparently managed to remove broken shadows entirely. It still doesn't exactly fix them, but it should be a lot less annoying.

Yeap, it's not that bad and the graphics and nice and clean with large internal res bump. Let's just say it's a lot less annoying vs PS2 output to modern LED TV. Plus some of the quality of life features like save states are pretty nice.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Iceclaw posted:

Completely forgot that they still haven't released SMT IV in UK/EU mainland. That's just ridiculous. Doesn't NISA have that publishing agreement now or did Sega screw up another localization attempt?

Edit: I should really read later posts. If only 3DS didn't have that region lock :(.

oblomov fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 25, 2014

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

oblomov posted:

Completely forgot that they still haven't released SMT IV in UK/EU mainland. That's just ridiculous. Doesn't NISA have that publishing agreement now or did Sega screw up another localization attempt?

Edit: I should really read later posts. If only 3DS didn't have that region lock :(.

Amazon's just taunting anyone who pre-ordered it from them at this point. Every month or so they just send you an email saying 'Nah, we still don't know when this is coming out.'

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Seems like there is a pretty big disconnect between 8 star challenge quests in the normal game of SMTIV and 8 star DLC challenge quests. The former I can finish no problem, whereas the latter is a pretty big kick in the balls. Which ones flesh out the story the most? "For the Past, For the Future" I'm guessing? Are the rest only really worth doing for obtaining more unique fusions?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's worth doing all the DLC quests, in my opinion but Broken Wings (I think it's called that? it's the one divided into two parts) and For the Past, For the Future, are the big ones. The other two give just a tiny bit of plot each.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

You should do Broken Wings if only for that boss music.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Ibram Gaunt posted:

It's worth doing all the DLC quests, in my opinion but Broken Wings (I think it's called that? it's the one divided into two parts) and For the Past, For the Future, are the big ones. The other two give just a tiny bit of plot each.
I got absolutely slaughtered on the first boss in Clipped Wings 2 which is what made me step back a try to reassess which ones were worth doing.

E: Primarily because of Lamentation, which forced me to use Salvation every turn.

E2: Beat the Clipped Wings, and now am trying some of the others. gently caress Sanat. Is he basically impossible with a Magic-based MC? Feels like I just have to get super lucky 3 or so rounds in a row with smirks to avoid having my heavy Gun hitters become lost to Gaea Rage. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to wait several minutes to reload the DLC every single time.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 26, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Sanat's probably one of the dumbest superbosses in SMT games and it's not due to any actual difficulty. It's that you need to build a specific team to fight him if you want to win and if you built a certain kind of MC, then you are going to have a significantly more difficult time. He's immune to basically every single thing except gun which is the what he's weak to, Gaea's Rage can slap your team out of play, and he has piercing abilities with his physical attacks, so yeah. The best way to handle him is just to have everyone in the team use Archangel's Law, he misses his attacks (This is not guaranteed), and then you hit him and use it all over again until you win the fight. It's meticulous as hell but it works for the most part.

Like he's Elizabeth levels of stupid demon specific team you need.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 26, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I got some pretty good advice in the SMTIV thread for Sanat at least: if you don't actually use a gun attack he doesn't use Gaea Rage (at first). So you load up a team that Repels Phys/Gun and hit him with Almighty attacks while he reflects junk back in his face. However even that wasn't good enough on its own because eventually he will start to use Gaea Rage anyway. So you still need to solo him in the second half with your MC. So I just gave him the best fighting chance he could have: Luster Candy, Debilitate, and Doping. Shoot with his weak-rear end default gun attack, and use Salvation afterwards. It took a while and you still have to roll the dice when your MC gets Panicked and hope he doesn't fail to cast Salvation, but I was able to pull through eventually.

Ancient of Days is the same sort of way, in that if you hit his weaknesses he does some dumb bullshit in retaliation. In that case all I had to due was re-purpose my Gabriel/Michael team (full Repel Ice/Fire) to also have Raphael's Brand attack. Then just pray it doesn't wear off on his first turn.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anyone know if there's a place with a script rip for persona 1 portable? not able to locate anything that isn't persona 3 portable.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah I enjoy bosses where they test how powerful you've become, I don't enjoy when it's less about that and more about "I hope you have these specific things"

But SMT4 had a lot of bosses that just tested how powerful you were so I guess it's not a big deal, especially since it was DLC so you know what you're in for.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010
So Marvalous is shutting down the IMAGINE servers sometime in the future. What this means for the game? No clue.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
SMT IV isn't on the Nintendo upcoming European releases sheet they gave out at today's press conference.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Dehry posted:

SMT IV isn't on the Nintendo upcoming European releases sheet they gave out at today's press conference.

Were other non-nintendo games on the list?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

The_Frag_Man posted:

Were other non-nintendo games on the list?

SMT x Fire Emblem was.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Wrapped up SMTIV. Neutral ending was good. Game was good.

Also to no surprise whatsoever it turns out that my final DLC team (Kannuki-Throw and Refrigerate with the corresponding Pierces) can also be used to wreck both of the big story bosses.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Strange Quark posted:

SMT x Fire Emblem was.

What can this even be at this point? I remember reading that a full, highly produced Fire Emblem on the Wii U would require several hundreds of thousands of copies to be sold to break even, so running on that wouldn't a similar crossover be just as expensive. I'm assuming it's a turn based strategy game, but even if it's a different genre I'm still really surprised this isn't a 3DS game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Nate RFB posted:

Also to no surprise whatsoever it turns out that my final DLC team (Kannuki-Throw and Refrigerate with the corresponding Pierces) can also be used to wreck both of the big story bosses.

Try adding in Guardian Eye. I beat Merkabah in one turn with Flynn, Uriel, and Masakado.