Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Sad lions posted:

So Room 2 has just arrived for iPhone and I have a little confusion over it.
So the description on appshopper has it shown as though it's just been made universal rather than them having released a separate iPhone version yet when I go to get it on the phone it seems to show the versions as separate.
So what gives? Is this something that'll change or am I just stuck playing it on iPad unless I want to fork over again?

The link definitely goes to the version I've purchased yet following the same link on the phone expects me to pay again.
http://appshopper.com/games/the-room-two
It's universal instead of being separate apps like the first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Sad lions posted:

So the description on appshopper has it shown as though it's just been made universal rather than them having released a separate iPhone version yet when I go to get it on the phone it seems to show the versions as separate.
So what gives? Is this something that'll change or am I just stuck playing it on iPad unless I want to fork over again?

The link definitely goes to the version I've purchased yet following the same link on the phone expects me to pay again.

On my phone it's letting me re-download it without paying, having bought it on the iPad previously. It's definitely universal.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Has anyone played Transport Tycoon? The TA review is positive but it mentions scenarios instead of sandbox mode and the game being repetitive. I liked Pocket Trains but thought it lacked depth, so this sounds cool. Are there other games like this?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

No, the Lunar port is actually pretty well done and was recently updated I think. There are a few problems, but no IAP type things I think. The guy who helped make it posts here. I think the only problem people had with it was the controls.

Crashing at a certain point happened for me and made it impossible to advance, but they fixed that too.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Froist posted:

On my phone it's letting me re-download it without paying, having bought it on the iPad previously. It's definitely universal.

Weird. It's still not letting me. Is this through App Store, iTunes or what?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Sad lions posted:

Weird. It's still not letting me. Is this through App Store, iTunes or what?

That was searching for "The Room Two" on the App Store on my phone.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Sad lions posted:

I found "The Room Two" on my iPhone and it's marked with the universal + sign, so it's definitely universal.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Well, after dicking me around for another hour it finally let me grab it. Here's to replaying it for the 4th time (I find all the fiddling with mechanisms great to chill out to).

Roobsa
May 1, 2011

Apologies if it's already been talked about (using the Awful iPad app so can't search) but has anyone tried Sherlock: The Network HD? Seems interesting but would like to know if it's actually any good.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Does anyone know of a good stock market simulator? There's a few that come up on the App Store but I'm not really sure what I'm doing.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

captain wheeto posted:

Does anyone know of a good stock market simulator? There's a few that come up on the App Store but I'm not really sure what I'm doing.

Well there was that one guy who posted his slot machine app on here a while ago.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

The Royal Scrub posted:

Has anyone played Transport Tycoon? The TA review is positive but it mentions scenarios instead of sandbox mode and the game being repetitive. I liked Pocket Trains but thought it lacked depth, so this sounds cool. Are there other games like this?

I bought this, and I'll give it a endorsement with a couple of minor caveats. I used to play a bit of OpenTTD on my Mac a while back, and I just like making road and rail networks and watching the trains trundle around. Tried going back to it recently and it was just too small and scratchy to enjoy properly.

Transport Tycoon on the iPad gives that same virtual trainset feel. Looked good, controlled surprisingly well, and was designed well for touch controls. The minor issues I had were lack of an undo button, so misplacing stuff could get expensive to fix while you learn the controls, and the lack of a sandbox mode. The dev did visit the TA thread, and seemed pretty decent about responding to bug reports and minor requests (for example he addec in the options to rename stuff when it was brought up). Certainly said they would consider adding it in, but I had to delete the game purely due to space reasons on my 16 GB mini so I don't know if that ever came through.

Sandbox mode was always my preferred way to play, just starting a random world and making a railway with zero to five AI competitors. If they have already added, or plan to still add, such a thing then I would recommend this without reservation. You can use the scenarios as a sort of sandbox mode, because they don't just end when you meet the victory conditions. Choose a map where it's just about making X dollars and pretty much go to town just as if it was a freeplay mode. It's not perfect, but it's good enough.

It really is a solid little game though, and I don't regret my purchase. It gives the sense of man-child glee from watching trains trundle about that you are looking for.

E: this link shows how big some of the scenario maps can be. Eye candy hoooooo: http://www.transporttycoon.com/bigmaps

They've also added a lite version to the App Store so you might as well give it a go.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 30, 2014

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

captain wheeto posted:

Stock Wars

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Downloaded Pocket Mine on Monday night, it's taken over my life.

Bro Nerd Alpha
Aug 27, 2012

going on pussy patrol

Lofty132 posted:

I downloaded it because of your post.

I like it so far. It takes the "fall down" mechanic and adds modifiers by the way of unlockable cards. I like how you can get free in game currency by watching ads (which could lead to finding other free IAP games to play) and they do have a way to get the premium in game currency by the "sign up for a free trial of...." type stuff

You do need to pay attention when looking at the free ways to get free in game currency. I almost spammed my entire Facebook friends list with an ad for the game. If you have FB on your phone it automatically ties into it and is very sneaky with its button placement and "auto permission" type things.

Hell, it's free. I like it. Really good game for pooping.

(my ID is azhh6433)

Bro Nerd Alpha fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 30, 2014

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

It's been a couple of years since I have followed this thread. Did a spiritual successor to Dungeon Raid ever emerge? It's sad that the Dungeon Raid developer dropped off the face of the earth.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

dishwasherlove posted:

It's been a couple of years since I have followed this thread. Did a spiritual successor to Dungeon Raid ever emerge? It's sad that the Dungeon Raid developer dropped off the face of the earth.

Dungeon Story
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/dungeon-story/id560744147?mt=8

Last time I played it the dev was still adding lots of updates.

Edit: looks like the last time it was updated was January 2013, so much for lots of updates. It was still pretty fun when I played it though.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 30, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pladdicus posted:

Crashing at a certain point happened for me and made it impossible to advance, but they fixed that too.

I might have to grab this to play when traveling once I finish EO4 on my DS. Glad to hear it's more a straight port and not some horrific "we remade this for mobile isn't it beautiful TELL ME I'M BEAUTIFUL" thing like the FF6 remake. :sigh:

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!

KGBAgent185 posted:

I seem to remember reading people talking about slayin'

For a buck it looks kind of cool. Anyone have a recommendation or hate it?

Slayin is fun though right now most of the fate points for unlocks are frontloaded, early quests will be much more achievable and worth their fp. With the addition of the 3 newest classes there isn't the same kind of cashflow as was engineered into the original three characters/modes. Upside now is you don't have to sink cash on boss rush or advanced now when you can spend the same on new classes.

After so many plays the game becomes an arcadey high scoring repetition fest about 10-20 minutes at a time. Right now the best way for me to farm fp is by playing knight and just trying to get 150+ monster chains on every level til giant slime or someone kills me. Still easily worth the .99 .

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Lofty132 posted:

Thanks for this. From the outside it looks like it has all the trimmings of an IAP shitfest but it's actually good fun to play and easily avoidable.

Also what the heck?

Edit: Ahh, I forgot I had Bummey on GameCenter. Thought we'd hit the viral marketing big time.

Froist fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 30, 2014

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
Tried pocket mine for a bit it's cute but there's about eight million different social media prompt-able situations and what little game there is is not only limited by energy charges but also by upgrading your pickaxe so you can break an increasing number of bricks each run.

There's an implied strategy in the different powers the different rarities of cards give you but you get assigned a random set from your pool every game, you can spend the easiest of the two currencies to reroll the cards while saving others but that doesn't seem that worthwhile with a deck of commons and a few uncommons at this point.

Still feels like less of a game than an attempt to cram every feature of clash of clans and candy crush into one game.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Pan Ache posted:

Tried pocket mine for a bit it's cute but there's about eight million different social media prompt-able situations

This game is hilariously shameless. There is a block that will actually block off a starting position until you spam your Facebook feed with it.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Disco Zoo beta thread is up: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3605790

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSPPiRGHAo8

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III
Anyone got any tips for Marvel Puzzle Quest. I started playing it to day.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire

Dragonrah posted:

There's an entire thread dedicated to it here.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Dragonrah posted:

The tip is stop playing.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

BGrifter posted:

Dungeon Story
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/dungeon-story/id560744147?mt=8

Last time I played it the dev was still adding lots of updates.

Edit: looks like the last time it was updated was January 2013, so much for lots of updates. It was still pretty fun when I played it though.

Thanks for this. Looks like it is free at the moment which is a big bonus.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Is there a problem with dungeonism? Thought I'd give it another shot but i can't seem to download it and I've trying for a few days now.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Dragonrah posted:

Avoid it like the plague. It started out really promising but it's in full on "game dying wring every last dime we can out of it" mode now.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

BGrifter posted:

Avoid it like the plague. It started out really promising but it's in full on "game dying wring every last dime we can out of it" mode now.

Yeah I played when it first came out. It started out kinda meh, then got good. Then it turned to just do the same events over and over again, while everything gets more expensive. Also I hope you have a ragnarok at max covers and level or else you lose.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You forgot about the nerfs Shwqa. Ragnarok got beaten with the nerf stick, along with Thor and Wolverine.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Shwqa posted:

Yeah I played when it first came out. It started out kinda meh, then got good. Then it turned to just do the same events over and over again, while everything gets more expensive. Also I hope you have a ragnarok at max covers and level or else you lose.

They nerfed Ragnarok. Classic Storm, Wolverine and Thor too. The current state of the game is "spend a fortune buying the new characters to be top dog for a month till we nerf those to make way for the new ones".

Plus +all colors boosts cost IAP now. There are IAP entry fee tournaments. Oh and you still need to roll thirteen covers of the same character for him to be playable at $2.50 a roll and dozens of possible results when rolling. Also enemies in PVE missions scale ridiculously high so unless you want to fight teams of level 230 enemies you have to spend a while intentionally losing battles to bring their levels down.

I could go on, but we have an entire thread dedicated to the devs stomping the life out of this game.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Wow I was late on this boat but Hoplite is perfect, can't put it down

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

BGrifter posted:

They nerfed Ragnarok. Classic Storm, Wolverine and Thor too. The current state of the game is "spend a fortune buying the new characters to be top dog for a month till we nerf those to make way for the new ones".

Plus +all colors boosts cost IAP now. There are IAP entry fee tournaments. Oh and you still need to roll thirteen covers of the same character for him to be playable at $2.50 a roll and dozens of possible results when rolling. Also enemies in PVE missions scale ridiculously high so unless you want to fight teams of level 230 enemies you have to spend a while intentionally losing battles to bring their levels down.

I could go on, but we have an entire thread dedicated to the devs stomping the life out of this game.

Oh god that is awful. I'm glad I quit around when got hulk added.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Shwqa posted:

Oh god that is awful. I'm glad I quit around when got hulk added.

Yeah MPQ was kinda fun and neat for a while but the last week or so has been a constant stream of updates that have hosed every single fun aspect of the game. We're gladly accepting exiles in the Puzzle & Dragons thread, that game is still fun and we have an upcoming Godfest tomorrow night making it an excellent time to begin.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

They're trying to do too much at the same time with MPQ. They're experimenting with different monetization schemes at the same time they're trying to level out the characters so it's not the same 3-4 characters everyone is using. Throwing them out all at the same time feels really bad and unpleasant for long time players though. I'm curious how a new player would take it, since it has fixed some longer term problems, but dammit it feels not good right now.

Also literally prefacing all these changes with an in-game message called 'FUNbalancing'.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 31, 2014

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah MPQ was kinda fun and neat for a while but the last week or so has been a constant stream of updates that have hosed every single fun aspect of the game. We're gladly accepting exiles in the Puzzle & Dragons thread, that game is still fun and we have an upcoming Godfest tomorrow night making it an excellent time to begin.

Meh I already did the PAD thing. It was fun for the few months I played and it just slowed when my team was level 70 and I was hunting for +s and awoken material. I didn't really have anything to roll for during god fest either. I already had a lucifer team, Chinese team, and a I&I team with all the best blue gods.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Been at Pocket Mine for a while. Nice little time waster and it involves a little bit of strategy at times. You can play it basically for free without missing out much, apart from some of the characters, most of which seem to suck to be honest. It got a big update recently so I decided to finally throw the game a bit of money, but it's hardly necessary.

You can get the most useful character with the amount of gems you start with, all the rest are just way slower. Get Greedy Goblin as soon as possible, he doubles all sell prices. Demolition Dan is hilarious fun though, especially when you have a bunch of crate appearance boosts. Coal Galore is the best card. Well, it was until the update, now there's Magic Coal which looks even better. All the ores have their own ones but Coal is the best because it's the most common so you end up blowing up everything and having to wait a while for the screen to scroll down to where you've ended up. Dark Pact sucks.

You can get the IAP currency in-game, sometimes when you open a chest you'll get a few gems. But the Facebook integration is some of the most obnoxious I've ever seen. And it's a huge pain when you accidentally hit a Facebook button. Don't do that.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Republique season pass is 0.99$! Don't sleep on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Javid posted:

This game is hilariously shameless. There is a block that will actually block off a starting position until you spam your Facebook feed with it.

You could just not dig in the center to start.

• Locked thread