Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
When HHH was trying to convince Batista to not go after his title, he even made the reference to "What if Flair and Arn Anderson could have been world champions at the same time?" when talking about Batista going after the WWE champ at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
What is an audible and how is it implemented in a match?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

What is an audible and how is it implemented in a match?

A change to the planned storyline, structure, or finish of a match. If they're mid-match, they're usually radio'd in through the referee, who wears a small earpiece to communicate with the producers. Pretty nonexistent in WWE except for injuries and time problems.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

jeffersonlives posted:

A change to the planned storyline, structure, or finish of a match. If they're mid-match, they're usually radio'd in through the referee, who wears a small earpiece to communicate with the producers. Pretty nonexistent in WWE except for injuries and time problems.

How does it get to the wrestlers?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Referee throws them a cue, either verbal or nonverbal.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

What jeffersonlives said. Jeff Hardy vs. Sting in TNA is probably the easiest example to observe this happening (but with Bischoff as the one giving the cues).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The ending of Royal Rumble 2005 is also a good example, with the refs stalling for time until somebody could figure out what to do.

(What to do was for Vince to tear both his quads getting into the ring and then sit on the ground yelling)

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Not sure how answerable a question this is since it's a matter of personal judgement both ways, but; For a female wrestler, where's the best place to be right now? I mean, in terms of money I have no idea how WWE pay for women stacks up next to other promotions, but certainly it's not the place to be if you wanted to learn, or to get respect for your work, or to wrestle against the best.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Revenant Threshold posted:

Not sure how answerable a question this is since it's a matter of personal judgement both ways, but; For a female wrestler, where's the best place to be right now? I mean, in terms of money I have no idea how WWE pay for women stacks up next to other promotions, but certainly it's not the place to be if you wanted to learn, or to get respect for your work, or to wrestle against the best.
Half the WWE Divas are models and the other half are reality TV stars, so probably the WWE since it's probably the least physically demanding job. The best female wrestlers are wrestling all over the world in the independents, Japan, Mexico, and the UK busting their asses to get noticed while the WWE generally still looks for models to promote. AJ Lee seems to be the anomaly, Tamina has a job because of who her father is, and Natalya hardly even wrestles anymore and isn't even that good when she does.

If you want to be respected, you go to Mexico or Japan. If you want to get paid to be pretty you want to go to the WWE. It's a sad state of affairs but there's a few girls in NXT who are putting the division on the right path, but that doesn't guarantee that they'll do anything more than 6 Diva tags and really sloppy, poorly timed filler matches at a PPV

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Nut Bunnies posted:

The company was extremely high on Orton from day 1.

Lost in the fact that Orton has constantly been on top for many years is that they initially bungled his initial big main event run, and probably did long term damage in the process.

I still stand by the hypothesis that the only reason Orton was given first title reign was that Vince was still bitter about Brock bolting, and put the belt on Orton just so they could take the title of "Youngest Heavyweight Champion in WWE history" away from Brock just to spite him.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Davros1 posted:

I still stand by the hypothesis that the only reason Orton was given first title reign was that Vince was still bitter about Brock bolting, and put the belt on Orton just so they could take the title of "Youngest Heavyweight Champion in WWE history" away from Brock just to spite him.

I always wonder how pissed Vince was at Brock over the split. Obviously not anymore because Brock came back and has been consistantly in big-money matches (of varying quality) but rather the only way Vince seems to get REALLY pissed is if someone crosses him business-wise. Brock asking to be released from his contract early, only a few days before WrestleMania seemed to me to be something Vince would be pissed about for a little while.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Davros1 posted:

Oh yeah I think that's definitely it, especially since it happened mere months after Lesnar left

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Did Kobashi sign autographs for people in attendance after the Kobashi/Joe show? I can't remember.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Vince was very pissed about Brock leaving. His argument for staying was the big contract Brock just signed and then he lowballed Brock when negotiating a return after football didn't pan out. The last decade has had many questionable choices to keep the locker room in check and the WWE brand above talent but this one opened them up for a lawsuit.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ChampRamp posted:

Did Kobashi sign autographs for people in attendance after the Kobashi/Joe show? I can't remember.

There was an autograph session scheduled, I'm pretty sure it happened.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I was thinking about how in WWE, at least up 'till recently, being an American with pride in your country makes you a face and being a foreigner with pride in your country makes you a heel.

Are there any examples of this dynamic applying in foreign countries? Mexican wrestlers with a 'USA! USA! USA!' gimmick being treated as heels, or Japanese guys coming out with a giant Japanese flag yelling 'ホーーーーーーー'?

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

Lacey is really good actually
Got a question that I didn't feel deserve it's own thread, My cousin and I are getting together for a day of wrestling the first day off we both have after the WWE network launches, and we need a list of 5-10 bad PPVs. As such we are looking for PPVs that had low buy rates, keep in mind WWE Network will only have WWE/WCW/ECW PPVs at first, so can someone give me a list of buy rates for all PPVs for each of the 3 big feds? Does such a list even exist?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

quote:

I was thinking about how in WWE, at least up 'till recently, being an American with pride in your country makes you a face and being a foreigner with pride in your country makes you a heel.

Are there any examples of this dynamic applying in foreign countries? Mexican wrestlers with a 'USA! USA! USA!' gimmick being treated as heels, or Japanese guys coming out with a giant Japanese flag yelling 'ホーーーーーーー'?

I don't think there's enough server space to accurately answer that question.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Brokenogre posted:

Got a question that I didn't feel deserve it's own thread, My cousin and I are getting together for a day of wrestling the first day off we both have after the WWE network launches, and we need a list of 5-10 bad PPVs. As such we are looking for PPVs that had low buy rates, keep in mind WWE Network will only have WWE/WCW/ECW PPVs at first, so can someone give me a list of buy rates for all PPVs for each of the 3 big feds? Does such a list even exist?

December to Dismember 2006 on repeat.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Endorph posted:

Florida Brothers and Eddie Guerrero and Art Barr come to mind.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

RJ Brewer had a right wing anti-immigration heel gimmick in Lucha Libra USA.

They're not really nationalists, but the Bullet Club heel faction in NJPW led by Devitt are angry gaijin who have cut promos about their issues with Japan and the Japanese people.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11unrj_prince-devitt-vs-gedo-njpw-kizuna-road-2013_sport&start=1795

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Endorph posted:

The Japanese wrestling industry was built on American devils trying to beat Rikidozan. It wasn't as over the top as American gimmicks would be, but it was extremely nationalistic.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

Brokenogre posted:

I'm not sure about any buyrate list but the bad definitely outweigh the good. I don't know a whole lot about the original ECW PPVs so someone else can chime in on that but here are a few to get you started...

WWECW: December to Dismember 2006
WCW: Halloween Havoc 2000
WWF: King of the Ring 1995 (Basically all of 1995 is awful for WWF)
WCW: Uncensored 1995
WWF: Royal Rumble 1999
WWE: Great American Bash 2004
WWF: This Tuesday in Texas (I think this has the lowest buyrate ever for a WWF/E PPV hence why it took over 20 years to run another PPV on a Tuesday which was based on the Cyber Sunday concept I believe and equally terrible.)

Wrestlemania IX is regarded as the worst Wrestlemania by many but X5 and XI are up there as well. Come to think of it VIII is pretty terrible too and only Bobby Heenan's incredible commentary can save it. None of these would have that low buyrate clause you are looking for though.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Tuesday in Texas wasn't a bad PPV per se, it just had a very short time from the day it was announced until showtime (something like a week or two). A lot of people just didn't know about it. That and it certainly didn't help that the Survivor Series shortly before ended up being essentially a PPV commercial for TTT.

Memento posted:

December to Dismember 2006 on repeat.

I went from never having heard of this until the latest OSW Review to hearing in all sorts of places as the PPV to which all other truly godawful PPV's were measured. What made stand head and shoulders below the rest?

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 30, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ghostpilot posted:

I went from never having heard of this until the latest OSW Review to hearing in all sorts of places as the PPV to which all other truly godawful PPV's were measured. What made stand head and shoulders below the rest?
As someone who just watched it: Nothing on the show was ungodly, but basically the show opens with a decent Hardyz/MNM match that goes about ten minutes too long, and then what follows is a string of god-awful matches.

Not the worst matches ever, mind, but extremely bad ones. And it never ends. A lot of lovely PPVs go bad match, good match, bad match, bad match, good match. December to Dismember just goes bad match, bad match, bad match, bad match. The sewage runoff of the 2006 WWE roster marching out there for 5-15 minutes to buy time.

And then the elimination chamber match happens. The crowd's huge on Punk and Rob Van Dam, but especially Punk.

Punk goes out first. Then Hardcore Holly. Then Rob Van Dam.

Then the crowd starts chanting TNA as Bobby Lashley, Big Show, and Test battle in the worst three-way you've ever seen.

To add insult to injury, the show was marketed as running three hours and lasted two and a half.

EDIT: Also if you want a bad pay-per-view, watch Heroes of Wrestling.

Oh wait, WWE/ECW/WCW. Uh, those british exclusive pay-per-views WWE did in the late 90s?

Endorph fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 30, 2014

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Ghostpilot posted:

CM Punk, hottest thing in ECW, tons of momentum, the ECW fans (back when they had ECW fans) completely behind him. Entered third in the chamber, eliminated first. Then RVD eliminated. Final 3? Test, Big Show, Bobby Lashley. Lashley wins.

edit: yup beaten. A 22 minute Hardys/MNM match, and Balls Mahoney vs Matt Striker in Striker's Rules which iirc was something like no strikes to the face, no hardcore stuff at all. The rest of the PPV was just boring ECW mid-carder/jobber level matches, but stretched out to be competitive. Kevin Thrown & Ariel vs Mike Knox & Kelly Kelly? Nobody wanted to pay $40 for that.

spongeh fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 30, 2014

Brokenogre
May 22, 2013

Lacey is really good actually

spongeh posted:

CM Punk, hottest thing in ECW, tons of momentum, the ECW fans (back when they had ECW fans) completely behind him. Entered third in the chamber, eliminated first. Then RVD eliminated. Final 3? Test, Big Show, Bobby Lashley. Lashley wins.

I thought that Big Show won, after RVD came in champ, that is what lead to Heyman managing Big Show

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Brokenogre posted:

I thought that Big Show won, after RVD came in champ, that is what lead to Heyman managing Big Show

Big Show came in as the champion. Heyman and Big Show screwed over RVD on a random ECW TV match to get Big Show the title. Bobby Lashley was the threat to Big Show.

Oh yea, and there were only 2 matches announced coming into the show: the main event, and I think the Hardys/MNM match.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

If you're going bad PPVs, you can't forget WCW's Great American Bash 1991.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Souled Out 1997 is probably the most hated show from the WCW synctube.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Souled Out 1997 is probably the most hated show from the WCW synctube.

I feel like Uncensored 96 would be if it didn't have Lee's diagram, Z-Gangsta and Jeep, but I guess X-7 would be lovely if you took all its good stuff away.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Souled Out 1997 is too special for me to hate, and I don't know how anyone can hate it. It's too stupid to dislike.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Endorph posted:

EDIT: Also if you want a bad pay-per-view, watch Heroes of Wrestling.

Heroes of Wrestling isn't so much a bad PPV as it's just sad, even if Jake the Snake has cleaned up.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

Heroes of Wrestling isn't so much a bad PPV as it's just sad, even if Jake the Snake has cleaned up.

Oh god no it's bad. Real bad. Meltzer has called the Bushwhackers/Volkoff and Sheik tag the worst match of all time and Alvarez gave it "minus more stars than there are stars in the universe, and the universe is infinite"

That PPV has a plethora of bad matches with over the hill wrestlers and some of the worst commentary you'll ever hear.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I really do not recommend watching PPVs based on buyrates because 1999 produced some pretty damned wretched shows for the WWF but also produced record buy-rates that year.

Bearnt! posted:

I'm not sure about any buyrate list but the bad definitely outweigh the good. I don't know a whole lot about the original ECW PPVs so someone else can chime in on that but here are a few to get you started...

WWECW: December to Dismember 2006
WCW: Halloween Havoc 2000
WWF: King of the Ring 1995 (Basically all of 1995 is awful for WWF)
WCW: Uncensored 1995
WWF: Royal Rumble 1999
WWE: Great American Bash 2004
WWF: This Tuesday in Texas (I think this has the lowest buyrate ever for a WWF/E PPV hence why it took over 20 years to run another PPV on a Tuesday which was based on the Cyber Sunday concept I believe and equally terrible.)

Wrestlemania IX is regarded as the worst Wrestlemania by many but X5 and XI are up there as well. Come to think of it VIII is pretty terrible too and only Bobby Heenan's incredible commentary can save it. None of these would have that low buyrate clause you are looking for though.

Don't forget the Summer of Suck for WCW in 1999 starting with Bash at the Beach and the entire calendar year of 2000 is pretty damned horrible for PPVs as well. I remember a bunch of us were watching WCW 2000 PPVs on SynchTube and a lot of us were stunned at how damned trashy and terrible they were getting at times.

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:
The New Age Outlaws only narrowly took the record for longest time between title reigns from Fabulous Moolah, right? She held the record of thirteen years (by pinning Ivory in 1999) until this year's Rumble. Or am I mistaken?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

It's gotta be Backlund.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Oh how quickly we forget GAB 91

Castomira
Feb 24, 2011

Fuck you Eva Marie, if you have to be right there next to all of my posts you don't even get to have red hair. You're a dryad now.
:froggonk:

Hockles posted:

It's gotta be Backlund.
Oh, I get it. When the announcers say "longest time between reigns," they're talking about the tag titles only. Makes more sense now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

WeaponX posted:

Oh god no it's bad. Real bad. Meltzer has called the Bushwhackers/Volkoff and Sheik tag the worst match of all time and Alvarez gave it "minus more stars than there are stars in the universe, and the universe is infinite"

That PPV has a plethora of bad matches with over the hill wrestlers and some of the worst commentary you'll ever hear.

I mean it's bad, awful, horrible, but when I try to watch it I just feel sad for the workers that are on it.