Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarq
Apr 25, 2008

by Ralp
So is anyone in the new engine beta?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Funcom Offices Raided, Delisted From Oslo Stock Exchange
Comment Now Follow Comments
Officers from Norway’s economic crime unit Økokrim raided the offices of The Secret World developer Funcom today as part of an investigation into allegations of shady bookkeeping.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/01/29/funcom-offices-raided-delisted-from-oslo-stock-exchange/

:lol:

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
:rip: Anarchy Online.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Guys do you think this will impact the new engine release date

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Conquistador posted:

Guys do you think this will impact the new engine release date

If we're lucky, we will get PS2 graphics in 2016 it's gonna be AWESOME!

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
If Funcom dies, the only sad thing will be that the source to AO will be lost forever so no one can go back and fix all the fat shits they took all over their only decent game I ever played.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Godammit Funcom, you even do it wrong in real life.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Conquistador posted:

Funcom Offices Raided, Delisted From Oslo Stock Exchange
Comment Now Follow Comments
Officers from Norway’s economic crime unit Økokrim raided the offices of The Secret World developer Funcom today as part of an investigation into allegations of shady bookkeeping.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/01/29/funcom-offices-raided-delisted-from-oslo-stock-exchange/

Dear God, it's Whamadoodles in real life...

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
so just before the new engine release Funcom gets raided by Norway's National Authority for Investigation and Prosecution of Economic and Environmental Crime?

Is this is a loving joke.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

quote:

The company is currently developing the licensed MMO LEGO Minifigures Online.

Seriously?

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

I was under the impression that the secret world was a pretty good game, money wise. For the company i mean...
Guess i was wrong?

And to be perfectly honest i had no idea Anarchy Online was even still around...

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I played this back in like 2003 and all I remember is finding some ultra-rare item that sold for enough to gear five or six characters from scratch to level 200. I should resub to see if my MMO fortune is still intact before the servers get seized or whatever.

e: And also running some level-gated dungeon frantically trying to find a bind-on-pickup skill book that could only be found there before I levelled up too much to enter. EXCELLENT GAME DESIGN.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Lazyhound posted:

I played this back in like 2003 and all I remember is finding some ultra-rare item that sold for enough to gear five or six characters from scratch to level 200. I should resub to see if my MMO fortune is still intact before the servers get seized or whatever.

e: And also running some level-gated dungeon frantically trying to find a bind-on-pickup skill book that could only be found there before I levelled up too much to enter. EXCELLENT GAME DESIGN.

They added a checkbox that allows you to stop gaining experience to fix that... eventually!

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Is there any way of seeing what's on an account without resubbing? I apparently have two of them.

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I played Anarchy Online when it first came out. I remember:

At the time, the highest level you could reach was 200. Everyone who made it to 200 did it by running solo missions. You could do a mission with a reward of experience, where you had to reach the end of the mission and retrieve some item. Agents would just sneak-run their way to the end of the mission, using some item which let them sneak and run at the same time, kill nothing along the way, grab the item and leave. Fixers would try to just haul rear end to the end with their fast movement speed and see if they could make it to the item without killing anything or dying.

Martial artists would exploit a bug which let them jump up above the ceiling of the map, and then run to the end and click on the item without having to fight anything. Nanomages had to actually fight things, but were exploiting some bug where they could stand outside a door and fight mobs in the room which couldn't attack them back. The other professions had no easy way to gain levels, and had to grind their way up.

Agents were a kick rear end profession in the beginning, as they could use false professions to use everyone else's nanoprograms. They could equip weapons so much higher level than themselves compared to everyone else (except Traders, who could do the same) that they did the most damage in PVE and had to tank as the mob would always attack the agent. They were the wealthiest profession, with their easy ability to complete any mission through sneak-running to the end.

Fixers were useless at the time, they weren't good at anything. Soldiers were unbeatable at PVP, except perhaps by Agents under a soldier false profession. Doctors couldn't make any money, but could always get a group.

The major PVP zones were a couple areas where players had to zone in to reach various mission objectives. Due to the game being crappy and buggy, players zoning in would appear in the zone 5 to 10 seconds before they actually saw themselves zone in, as the game software would take forever to load all the textures and such. PVP players had a gentleman's agreement not to attack zoning in players until they moved, to make sure that they were able to see what was going on and fight back.

At that time, level 112 was a special level, as it was one of the only levels where you could set the slider to receive level 200 missions, the highest level missions. So once you hit level 112, if you knew what you were doing, you would stop leveling and roll up missions to try to get all the level 200 gear you could. If you were one of the professions which could complete level 200 missions at level 112, you could become ridiculously rich. If I recall, after level 112, you couldn't get level 200 missions again until you were level 156.

In the beginning, the game was (as has no doubt been told here before) released in an almost completely unplayable state, and the level of animosity which ended up forming from the players against the developers was extreme. If I recall correctly, they ended up entirely wiping the game forums at one point because the messages were so hostile towards funcom.

So, do agents suck now? In the beginning, with the highest damage output, ease of making money, ability to complete any solo mission, the fun of being able to use everyone's nanos, and as the 2nd best at pvp, they were probably the best profession in the game. The only thing they couldn't do effectively was be a group healer.

Orange Sunshine fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Mar 2, 2014

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

The last time I played Anarchy Online I remember always hearing some Nine Inch Nails song on billboards in game. Maybe Everyday Is Exactly The Same?

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
You'd be surprised at how much of that post is still relevant today, Orange Sunshine

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
So how many of you guys play this? Might fire up my old MA. Level 100 or something. No clue on my server...

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Tai posted:

So how many of you guys play this? Might fire up my old MA. Level 100 or something. No clue on my server...

All servers have been consolidated.

I stopped logging in and have been hanging with goons in Star Trek Online

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Orange Sunshine posted:

I played Anarchy Online when it first came out. I remember:

In the beginning, the game was (as has no doubt been told here before) released in an almost completely unplayable state, and the level of animosity which ended up forming from the players against the developers was extreme. If I recall correctly, they ended up entirely wiping the game forums at one point because the messages were so hostile towards funcom.

I played it at launch as well... it was a massive clusterfuck of bugs and missing features, and underneath it was a morass of sloppy game design. One exploit I remember well, is that right outside (I think) Borealis was robot the size of a city block called a Juggernaut. It was aligned to Omni and wouldn't attack unless provoked. It had a zillion hitpoints, hit for a zillion damage, and really wasn't intended to be attacked.

But, soldiers had a nano that reflected up to 30% damage for a short time. They would buff up, attack the juggernaut, then get hit for a huge amount and die but deal a lot back at the same time. The creature was right next to a rez terminal, so groups of people would zerg it over an over until it died, earning enough for a level each time. It respawned in 15 minutes, so people camped there nonstop and levelled to 150 or so. IIRC, this went unchecked for months if not years.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Orange Sunshine posted:

The other professions had no easy way to gain levels, and had to grind their way up.
Bureaucrats actually could just stepladder their implants to summon a robo-butler considerably higher level than themselves and have it tank enemies in level 200 missions just long enough for the Bureaucrat to land a charm on the enemy. Then do it again for the shorter-duration charm, and use your two level 200 charms and level whatever robo-butler to kill all the other enemies in the mission. If the first charm failed you just had to zone out, resummon your robo-butler, and pop back in to try again.

Bureaucrats were pretty goddamn awesome. It helped when they got access to the slick-looking suits too. Fixers were also a lot of fun once they finally got buffs, I think for a time before the first expansion they were even seen as overpowered.

The thing I remember most about the launch of the game was that there were dozens of different brands of weapons and all of them except one tended to be bad. Pretty much no melee weapons were worth anything except the Atrox-only girders, there was exactly one assault rifle of any use whatsoever, and they had to eventually add a special line of Adventurer-only pistols and swords to the game because Adventurers did not have a single usable weapon at all. Life was considerably easier for people who relied on nanos instead, and I think Agent weapons were okay. SMGs I can't recall, I think Full Auto helped?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Every weapon except for like 1 to 3 in every class is bad from level 1-150 or so.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
To be fair AO has like, a shittrillion weapons

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

a dude" posted:

To be fair AO has like, a shittrillion weapons

Nakar posted:

The thing I remember most about the launch of the game was that there were dozens of different brands of weapons and all of them except one tended to be bad. Pretty much no melee weapons were worth anything except the Atrox-only girders, there was exactly one assault rifle of any use whatsoever, and they had to eventually add a special line of Adventurer-only pistols and swords to the game because Adventurers did not have a single usable weapon at all. Life was considerably easier for people who relied on nanos instead, and I think Agent weapons were okay. SMGs I can't recall, I think Full Auto helped?

I ran an adventurer; first I used those fire pistols, but swapped to one-handed because ammo was a pain. There were over a dozen types of 1h, but they all sucked compared to the Merchant Executioner.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
The Engi Pistol quest is still one of my favourites in any game :3:

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

mfcrocker posted:

The Engi Pistol quest is still one of my favourites in any game :3:

Why? I just built one for an alt and aside from the pleasure of completing the quest and getting a new gun I don't recall it being any fun

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Nakar posted:

Bureaucrats actually could just stepladder their implants to summon a robo-butler considerably higher level than themselves and have it tank enemies in level 200 missions just long enough for the Bureaucrat to land a charm on the enemy. Then do it again for the shorter-duration charm, and use your two level 200 charms and level whatever robo-butler to kill all the other enemies in the mission. If the first charm failed you just had to zone out, resummon your robo-butler, and pop back in to try again.

Bureaucrats were pretty goddamn awesome. It helped when they got access to the slick-looking suits too. Fixers were also a lot of fun once they finally got buffs, I think for a time before the first expansion they were even seen as overpowered.

SMGs were basically all awful until they added the MCS and then later the Manex Catastrophe.

Fixers were okay, but only got overpowered if they lucked into grid armor, pre expansion. Fun, though. Gotta go fast.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Fetus Tree posted:

Why? I just built one for an alt and aside from the pleasure of completing the quest and getting a new gun I don't recall it being any fun

I really enjoyed tradeskilling in AO so it was ideal.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Is AO still played? My god.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Archives? No! The bliss of oblivion has been yet again denied to this thread.

Are they aiming for which decade atm with the engine update?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
It'll be out of closed beta by 2016 when funcom goes bankrupt and shutters AO.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
Funcom, the master of color schemes, is apparently sending out subscription advertisements due to something I probably would be able to make out if my eyes were some decades younger. Seriously, black font on dark grey?

There's possibly a crack about not needing eyes to see etc etc somewhere in there but :effort:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I remember back in the day I played a Soldier and I sneaked around (literally) Tir (since I couldn't navigate Omni-One) shooting leets and ownz to death my my Aimedshot Flingshot rifle. Then while visiting a merchant I saw they were selling some horrid machinegun. Its damage was bad but it held like 100 bullets and had Fullauto. Well poo poo, if I fired 100 bullets at once that would be a lot of damage! "gently caress" I thought after I bought it and tried it out.

Also I remember people paying 10,000 credits to shoot me dead in the arena.

hiandbaii
Jul 24, 2014
Dam, does anyone still play this game?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
no

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Back near-ish the start of the game, I ran up on this RP event where they were going to put this guy on trial for murder. Since all the low level missions have you enter random building in the city and murder them I quickly shouted "I just murdered this whole office building wtf". Then I got death threats and "I'm gonna report you dude" and I left.

I saved up a lot of cash and bought the first low level mount car thing, and it drove slower then running. I played an agent but the missions were basically impossible, so stealth was the only way, it got very boring after awhile. I had enough fun space block people mmo I could of back in the day, in the days of "thanks for your $15, good luck cya. I think we put stuff in for you to do".

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I want to play this game so bad, if only it wasn't so horribly dated. The amount of content it accumulated over the years looks great, and I have a ton of nostalgia from back when it launched.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

Mokotow posted:

I want to play this game so bad, if only it wasn't so horribly dated. The amount of content it accumulated over the years looks great, and I have a ton of nostalgia from back when it launched.

Hold on to that nostalgia, cherish it, love it, do not attempt to recreate it.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

PriNGLeS posted:

Hold on to that nostalgia, cherish it, love it, do not attempt to recreate it.

I came in here to read up a bit before reactivating my AO account, but this stuff is so true. I need to stop this nostalgia about old games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If these idiots still had the talent and the funds, they could have a major win with an AO2. Instead the IP is drifting off into irrelevancy.

• Locked thread