Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I fancy the foot shield myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sergio Aragones
Since I got requests for him, I decided what the hell and post him, too. Sergio Aragones (born 1937) is a Spanish-born cartoonist who grew up in Mexico. While living there, he would read Mad Magazine on a regular basis, in spite of the fact that he knew very little English (he remarked that he always read Spy vs. Spy first because it was all pantomime). After college, he moved to New York with only $20 and a portfolio. He tried submitting to syndicates (apparently in Spanish, "syndicate" means "union". He thought he had to join the union in order to be published), but they suggested that he go to Mad instead, so he went to the Mad offices. His first appearance in the magazine was issue 76 (January 1963). Since then he has appeared in every issue except one. In addition to his regular "Mad Look at..." series, he also does tiny drawings that appears in various places of the magazine, called "Drawn Out Dramas".

Sergio's drawing looks simple, but they're remarkably detailed. He would draw crowd scenes with hundreds of people, and every single one of them would be doing something different, forcing readers to take time looking at what every one of these tiny figures are doing. In cartooning circles, he has a reputation as the world's fastest cartoonist. He can draw really fast without his art suffering.

His ability to draw real fast abled him to draw for numerous other publishers. His most famous character is Groo the Wanderer, which debuted in the 1980s. He also did a superhero satire called Mighty Magnor in the 1990s. Much of his comic book works were done in collaboration with writer Mark Evanier. He also did numerous work for Bongo Comics, writing/illustrating The Simpsons comic book stories, as well as 12 issues of Sergio Aragones Funnies, which featured original stories and autobiographical recollection of the artist's life.

We always harp on cartoonists being out-of-touch whenever they try to comment/parody "current" things, but Sergio largely managed to avert this. This is due to his habit of researching materials before doing cartoons about them. For example, when he did a series of comics about video games for Mad, Sergio consulted his friend's teenage son, who showed him how to play games, what games are popular, and what consoles are out.

I'll post a few strips Sergio has done over the years, whether its from his "Mad Look At" series, marginals, or other one-page gags that he has done for Mad and other publications.

(Mad #126, April 1969)

(Mad #147, December 1971)

(from A Mad Look at the Olympics; Mad #314, October 1992)

(from A Mad Look at the Olympics; Mad #314, October 1992)
(yes, I think that is Al Jaffee)

Don Martin Dept. (Mad #33, June 1957)

Thorn (January 24-25, 1984)

Lucky Cow (April 5-7, 2004)

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That's a pretty specific palm reading and the full page gag makes it all worth it.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Awww man, NPR just did a little retrospective on Morrie Turner. :unsmith:

It makes me really happy that he's getting coverage in major outlets. He deserves it.

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 29, 2014

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I want to see what's in the minor treasure hall. That leather mug from the ren fair. An ashtray a previous Phantom won playing skee ball. Perhaps a Tijuana bible featuring the Marx Brothers.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
This is perfect.

Manuel Calavera posted:

Mother Goose & Grimm

So much wrong just with that first panel's word balloon.
I hope The Creeps lasts for years, because I love it to pieces.

Bloom County

It might just be me, but I think Mr. Breathed tried to give Lola's 'ugly' artwork a similarity to his own early artistic endeavors. Compare it to Gesundheit, seen here.

Calvin And Hobbes

Candorville used to be posted regularly, alongside Frazz. There is no clamor to have either return.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Darthemed posted:

I hope The Creeps lasts for years, because I love it to pieces.

Delayed reaction.

OHHHHHH.

That is pretty funny.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
My only correspondence with Morrie Turner was through this mail back in late 2012. I wrote to Morrie, asking him about the "Kid Power" TV show, and he sent me back this hand-written note.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Mister Beeg posted:

Don Martin Dept.
How's this for a new addition? Don Martin...

I'm going to take the unpopular stance and say that stuff published in MAD Magazine doesn't belong in this thread. This is the newspaper comic strip thread: stuff published in newspapers, not monthly publications devoted specifically to comics. We've widened the definition of "newspaper" to include college papers, alt. weekly publications, even old papers that don't exist anymore; as long as it's a publication devoted to current events, it's kosher. MAD Magazine doesn't fit that criteria. It's the same reason why the thread doesn't have Tank Girl or non-retarded Spider-Man posted in it.

There's probably enough interest and material for MAD Magazine to have its own thread. And I would totally read that thread, too. But that thread isn't this one.

Rhymes With Orange

Man, I guess Dustin never caught a break. :smith:

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Bobbie Wickham posted:

I'm going to take the unpopular stance and say that stuff published in MAD Magazine doesn't belong in this thread. This is the newspaper comic strip thread: stuff published in newspapers, not monthly publications devoted specifically to comics. We've widened the definition of "newspaper" to include college papers, alt. weekly publications, even old papers that don't exist anymore; as long as it's a publication devoted to current events, it's kosher. MAD Magazine doesn't fit that criteria. It's the same reason why the thread doesn't have Tank Girl or non-retarded Spider-Man posted in it.

I figured that Charles Addams is posted, and his stuff never appeared in newspapers, so might as well add Mad, too.

I have no interest in starting a separate thread for Mad, so I'll continue posting here.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

That's some serious morning wood.

Bobbie Wickham
Apr 13, 2008

by Smythe

Mister Beeg posted:

I figured that Charles Addams is posted, and his stuff never appeared in newspapers, so might as well add Mad, too.

I have no interest in starting a separate thread for Mad, so I'll continue posting here.

He appeared in The New Yorker, which is, admittedly, pushing it. He didn't get published in a magazine full of comics, is the gist of it.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Bobbie Wickham posted:

He appeared in The New Yorker, which is, admittedly, pushing it. He didn't get published in a magazine full of comics, is the gist of it.
That's also true of strips from The Beano, which I've kind of grown to miss. (Whoever was posting Beano strips, please come back!)

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Darthemed posted:

That's also true of strips from The Beano, which I've kind of grown to miss. (Whoever was posting Beano strips, please come back!)

Yeah, I miss "Beano", too. Have a soft spot for British cartooning.

If there's any consolation, I will only post MAD strips that are pure gags. I won't put up any movie/TV show parodies (unless by Sergio), for example.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

Some Guy TT posted:

It's All Right Chief Dharma

Since a few people mentioned they were having trouble understanding it, here's what I'm getting:

In the first scene Dharma mentions that the other guy seems distracted by something, which turns out to be his hair loss. He suggests getting a wig so that when the hair loss starts to become really noticeable nobody will actually notice because he'll have been wearing the wig for some time already. He agrees to this idea, and Dharma gives him the info of someone who can help with that. The next day, they run into each other and Dharma is shocked to see what appears to be a massive bald spot on his head, apparently due to a hairpiece being blown off. Turns out that nope, nothing was blow off, but rather, a bra was blown on.

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

Bobbie Wickham posted:

This is the newspaper comic strip thread: stuff published in newspapers, not monthly publications devoted specifically to comics.

That puts Dan Dare: Pilot of the Future in the clear, then: Eagle was a weekly! :v:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

That is a fine parrot.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (October 18-20, 1926)

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

A call back to Uncle Happy, originally published in 1965. 8 years is a hell of a long time to keep a lady waiting Steve!

So, censorship. They don't explain why they had to redo the panels, so darned if I know. Nothing particularly spoilery or NWS ahead.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
We're now seeing reactions of Morrie Turner's passing from other cartoonists. Candorville's Darrin Bell writes this.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Midnight Moth posted:

Slylock Fox

"Yessir we've got a perpetual two-foot radius blaring alarm zone surrounding this baby! Only had about 50 accidental set offs so far!"

Just like this. Only with Slick Smitty and Reeky Rat.

Luann

Apartment 3-G

That beast is deformed in a different way every day. Fun to watch!

(Of course I'm talking about Tommie.)

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

Mason is totally stalking Ralph. :ohdear:

Several people posted:

3J ought to get in that suit.
The Amazing Spider-Man

Newspaper Spider-Man aims to please! :neckbeard:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Okay, one of Les's comments in the last strip made me think he had something creepy planned, but no, he's completely ignoring the girl in there and going to go use the restroom, which is what it was made for. Remind me how he's the bad guy again? (Or are we going to be surprised with Les actually being completely reasonable here and the lunatic bathroom pervert actually getting called out on his stupidity? (No we are not, that would be too clever and sensible for Luann.))

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
So is this going to be a straight repeat of the Gunther/Rosa thing where Crystal is going to think it's totally hot that Knute assaulted another guy being overly defensive over her?

Limbo
Oct 4, 2006

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

That stunned look on her face says that she just realized there's no way she leaves this cave alive.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Even Brooke's characters have no idea what kind of a gun that misshapen lump is supposed to be.

Pibgorn

Romeo must have a really impressive hiding spot for his paddle.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Arlo and Janis

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Don Martin's comics should be in this thread due to the transitive properties. He had a newspaper strip, we've posted it before, and it's one of his works.

If Holbrook can have all three of his horrid, horrid strips posted here, then we should at least get some decent work in here.

And besides, Mad Magazine was published on newsprint!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

I doon't like Don Martin or MAD magazine comics, but as long as they're timg'd I don't mind them being posted; I can just scroll right past them.

Speaking of scrolling straight past something, this thread has been lacking in Rex Morgan for a while.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis

You know the rule about how, if you don't get one of these strips, you should assume it's about sex? When you're bored by one of these strips, ALSO assume it's about sex.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I just don't understand. Every "bad guy" in this comic never seem bad. Tiffany never seems bad, Luann just comes off like a bitch to her. This guy is just using the bathroom but then backwards hat is like naw you gotta wait for m'lady and then attacks him? Like this storyline is especially confusing because I've seen girls use the men's bathroom when their line is too long all the time! No one gives a poo poo!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

Okay, one of Les's comments in the last strip made me think he had something creepy planned, but no, he's completely ignoring the girl in there and going to go use the restroom, which is what it was made for. Remind me how he's the bad guy again? (Or are we going to be surprised with Les actually being completely reasonable here and the lunatic bathroom pervert actually getting called out on his stupidity? (No we are not, that would be too clever and sensible for Luann.))

Yeah whatever we were supposed to get out of this is a very dumb riddle. I, for one, am just happy that Scooby or whatever's grapple turned out to be ineffective. It looked like an untenable hold and proved to be so. Score one for Greg.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

I'm guessing the original arcade video game programmers limited it to three lives to get you to keep putting in more coins and not hog the machine and modern programmers keep it out of tradition.

Retail

So is Donnie going to start mimicking Cooper's behavior and destroying merchandise and disregarding orders from management? And then when Marla/Stuart asks what the deal is Donnie will say, "Oh well Cooper does it all the time" and then Cooper will finally get fired, right?

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Run away and join a pack of stray dogs! Whoo! Freedom!

Dustin

Tune in tomorrow for an honest-to-God airplane food rant.

On the Fastrack

Seriously we just got you a 128GB laptop last year!

Safe Havens

Wouldn't Leonardo DaVinci school them all?

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Don Martin's comics should be in this thread due to the transitive properties. He had a newspaper strip, we've posted it before, and it's one of his works.

Since you brought it up, several Mad artists has done at least one newspaper strip in their career. Al Jaffee, Paul Coker Jr., Mort Drucker, and John Caldwell all have syndicated strips in their resume.

Lately Mad's publishing works by cartoonists who is known for their syndicated strips. Paul Gilligan (Pooch Cafe), Rob Harrell (Adam @ Home), Keith Knight (K Chronicles), Ted Rall, and others are regular or semi-regular contributors to the magazine.

Finally, for a brief time there was a newspaper version of "Spy vs. Spy", which ran about 13 years ago in a small number of papers.

(How many people know that our very own Death Ray draws for Mad?)

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jan 30, 2014

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Johnny Hazard

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Mister Beeg posted:

(How many people know that our very own Deep Hurting draws for Mad?)

He does? Also, what happened to that guy? For some reason you're not allowed to talk about him in the Political Cartoons thread.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

From what I gather it's because posting his political cartoons kept leading to derails about politics simply because he's a goon so people could talk to him directly using the thread.

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Even Brooke's characters have no idea what kind of a gun that misshapen lump is supposed to be.
Brooke is just incredible. Here, his character does not what every single person would probably do entirely out of instinct - turn from side-on to face the person with the gun to give them full attention - but instead inexplicably turns his back on the gun then breaks his neck delivering a rejoinder.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Ghostlight posted:

Brooke is just incredible. Here, his character does not what every single person would probably do entirely out of instinct - turn from side-on to face the person with the gun to give them full attention - but instead inexplicably turns his back on the gun then breaks his neck delivering a rejoinder.
That's exactly what I thought of, except I don't think he had him turn his back, he just lost track of the perspective.

F Minus

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Jesus Christ, I'm getting annoyed by Retail. I didn't mind and even enjoyed it when it was this sort of verbal fencing game between the upper management, but Cooper here is infuriating.

I mean, I know retail sucks. I worked in a grocery store last summer (albeit as a janitor, not front end). There were days I was running ragged constantly to keep trash cans empty and stuff supplied for a hundreds-strong parade crowd. There was the time I had to stand there as a woman harangued me about how loving awful the store was, or the loud argument out front between a guy and his wife/girlfriend whatever. I got chewed out by a supervisor at LEAST twice, went home in tears one of the times, thought about quitting, and at one point went to the hospital after eating pavement on my bike on the way to work.

It was a good learning experience job, didn't pay well, but I feel like it was a job I needed. And you know the main thing I learned? No matter how bad things are for you, or your poo poo, you do not let the customer see that poo poo. The customer may not always be right, but the customer can NOT know. The customer has no way of knowing, for instance, how many times in that day or in your career someone has asked where the bathroom is, or where you keep the yogurt. For all they know, they're the first in world history. You treat them the same way you treat everyone--answer, be polite, get on with your job. If you don't know, you loving find someone who knows. Giving them deliberately incorrect information, being disrespectful, damaging and stealing loving merchandise? That will lose the store money, and the store does NOT care about how much you hate your loving job. The store cares about money, and the store will lose you that loving job if you lose it money. It doesn't have to have much of an excuse. The market is flooded with people who would love your loving job.

God, it pisses me off. Moreso because even despite being a lazy slacking son of a bitch in that four-to-six-hours-a-shift half-time job, I STILL feel like I was miles more of a worker than Cooper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I want to know what that sign in Thai says. I'm sure it says something, I just can't get one or two of the characters right in google translate. Best I can get at is "roadshow images."

quote:

(yes, I think that is Al Jaffee)
Definitely. MAD cartoonists would always pop up in each others' cartoons and the curly hair/goatee combo was as much shorthand for Jaffee than the moustache and ponytail was for Aragones or the pipe and glasses for Dave Berg.

I actually wouldn't mind a dedicated MAD thread, then I could share some stuff from the German edition. They mostly translated cartoons from the US version but they had one or two exclusive artists. (But then again, mine are all at my parents' and may or may not have fallen apart completely - they always used to joke about the lovely paper but really it was like 75% legitimate complaints.)

• Locked thread