Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
"We have the inexplicable urge to go to the mall." Best joke in the show so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Skywalker OG posted:

Admittedly biased, but as somebody who has watched a poo poo ton of zombie movies, I loving loved it. This show just keeps taking things that I like and running with them.

I hate the whole zombie craze thing from recent years and I loved this episode. It's not bias, Space Dandy is just that amazing.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Zorak was 100% right in saying this was the best zombie thing in a long rear end time

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
The robot's face in the newest episode is hilarious.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Episode 5 commercial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daV3uYDWteY

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I can't be the only one who audibly laughed when Meow (I swear he had an actual name...) had the door close in front of him in a deadpan manner. Rest of the episode I just spent with a permanent grin on my face.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Meow's actual name is a meowing noise that is hard to type out.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Waffleman_ posted:

Meow's actual name is a meowing noise that is hard to type out.

I've seen it written as Nynamo.

Also can I just go on record as saying that QT's facial expressions are the best things ever?

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.
Well that was amazing. Up until now, I thought the show was fine, but it wasn't really getting a hold of me. This episode turned that right around. I lost it at, "Voices have been changed to protect privacy," and everything else was as good or at least close. Totally on board now.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Looks like it's gonna be a really emotional episode that will show us Dandy's true colors as we explore what life is like in this universe. Can't wait to be proven wrong and to see who bites it this time.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Dessel posted:

I can't be the only one who audibly laughed when Meow (I swear he had an actual name...) had the door close in front of him in a deadpan manner. Rest of the episode I just spent with a permanent grin on my face.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

KingKalamari posted:

Also can I just go on record as saying that QT's facial expressions are the best things ever?

Nyamo or Nyan is just the Japanese way of saying Meow.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
I could have sworn it sounded something like "Mrwr"

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

KingKalamari posted:

You can, but the best face was Bea's zombie face.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

that shot was creepy as gently caress. The ultra-detailed closeup shots of zombies in animated stuff always get to me.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Looks like it's gonna be a really emotional episode that will show us Dandy's true colors as we explore what life is like in this universe. Can't wait to be proven wrong and to see who bites it this time.

I almost hope it's just a completely serious, intimate, very heartwrenching episode.

Because that would be the funniest loving thing possible.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Here's hoping they pull an Excell Saga and make a completely straight, earnest episode with no laughs at all in it, because I would come back for just the juxtaposition.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Space Dandy: Friend of the Children.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Episode 5 is directed by Akemi Hayashi, a veteran who has a shoujo-y style - you'll note she's done plenty of work with Ikuhara, and then ended up at Gainax and worked on Diebuster and Gurren Lagann. For a pretty good example of her style, this is her Gurren Lagann Parallel Works - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9k0MFc07jk

Additionally, Kevin Aymeric (art director on Kick-Heart and BG director of Yuasa's upcoming Ping Pong) did the background design for the episode (https://twitter.com/AYMRC/status/427674415455690752) and Thomas Romain mentioned the episode reminded him of Bebop (https://twitter.com/Thomasintokyo/status/427703646499794945).

So yeah, you guys are pretty much spot on in noticing the tone shift. Expect the unexpected.

Also notably the week after we get Mihara's episode 6, which he directed, storyboarded, and did the vast majority (300+ cuts) of the key animation on over a period of 9 months. He's one of Yuasa's buds and worked on most of his stuff, you can probably check out some of the specific episodes listed on the ANN for examples of his style.

Speaking of Yuasa... his episode will show up sometime soon too. We know its in the first cour and that its not episode 8 or 9, so there's a pretty decent chance its 7. Here's hoping.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
The biggest twist would be playing it straight, so the twist on the twist would be making the episode irreverent and goofy. My money it ends up like My Funny Valentine, where it's emotional until the punchline or that Bebop episode where Spike and Jet go on their VCR adventure, where it's jokes until the stinger.

And the song for that episode ad sounds like Interstate Love Song by Stone Temple Pilots, but about space (Interstellar Love Song?).

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

MadRhetoric posted:

The biggest twist would be playing it straight, so the twist on the twist would be making the episode irreverent and goofy. My money it ends up like My Funny Valentine, where it's emotional until the punchline or that Bebop episode where Spike and Jet go on their VCR adventure, where it's jokes until the stinger.

And the song for that episode ad sounds like Interstate Love Song by Stone Temple Pilots, but about space (Interstellar Love Song?).

The song is "Rocket Ship" by Super X-13

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
This show's writing plus zombies should have been really terrible. What happened?

It's not saying much but zombie existentialism inspired by yoghurt is probably the best zombie related thing ever written.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Mercrom posted:

This show's writing plus zombies should have been really terrible. What happened?

It's Space Dandy is what happened.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

livingfruitvirus posted:

The song is "Rocket Ship" by Super X-13

A local band from Atlanta released the album this song is on about 16 years ago. There's about 3 copies on Amazon. Adult Swim is cruel as gently caress.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Shere posted:

A local band from Atlanta released the album this song is on about 16 years ago. There's about 3 copies on Amazon. Adult Swim is cruel as gently caress.

The top result when you search for it on Youtube is the Space Dandy promo. The rest is footage from live shows.

Too cruel.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Waffleman_ posted:

The top result when you search for it on Youtube is the Space Dandy promo. The rest is footage from live shows.

Too cruel.

Jason DeMarco loves to remind the audience that he posesses tons of music you will never own.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Mercrom posted:

It's not saying much but zombie existentialism inspired by yoghurt is probably the best zombie related thing ever written.

I think a large part of it is that the narrator is so good. He's just perfect for this kind of Douglas Adams-style narration.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I don't think either of the narrators are anything special. It's just that the writers failed to produce any good or unique ideas until for just the second half of this episode they manage to produce several.

Even the Japanese version's "zombie senpai" was funnier than anything in the previous episodes.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

When I asked my older cousin about his take on this show, and questioned why this show out of all shows is getting an international marketing and support beyond even Code Geass despite feeling really mediocre so far, this was his take (after episode 1):

For someone who is excessively familiar with 1980s anime, this show feels like a strong homage or even just a straight 80s style show. But again it's only recognisable by those familiar with that style. And it oozes Watanabe; it's very clear people involved with making Cowboy Bebop were involved in making this show. As for animation, this show is what every 80s anime wished it could look like. But I can see how this show looks mediocre to someone who isn't familiar with 80s anime.

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

AnacondaHL posted:

When I asked my older cousin about his take on this show, and questioned why this show out of all shows is getting an international marketing and support beyond even Code Geass despite feeling really mediocre so far, this was his take (after episode 1):

For someone who is excessively familiar with 1980s anime, this show feels like a strong homage or even just a straight 80s style show. But again it's only recognisable by those familiar with that style. And it oozes Watanabe; it's very clear people involved with making Cowboy Bebop were involved in making this show. As for animation, this show is what every 80s anime wished it could look like. But I can see how this show looks mediocre to someone who isn't familiar with 80s anime.

I don't know about that. I've consumed more than a few 80s shows, and the first three episodes felt no less dry for it. The style is helped by that, but the early writing didn't really do it for me.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The reason Space Dandy is getting more attention for an international market than other shows is because it's directed by Watanabe. Watanabe's stuff in General is very beloved by a western audience, stuff like Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop were beloved by people who don't even watch anime. Adult Swim is also very sweet on his stuff, because not only do those two shows do well in ratings even for reruns, the staff at Adult Swim really likes those shows, which has sort of been the impetus for a show like Big O being funded for a second cour by them. Watanabe's stuff translates really well to a western audience due to many factors, are written well, and usually have really great voice acting to top it off. AS probably sees potential like that in Space Dandy too which is why they helped fund it for another cour and are advertising the hell out of it. From what I have seen, the show is being received very favorably and has a lot of people talking about it, even people who don't watch anime.

The only show of his that hasn't done well here is Kids on the Slope and well that's due to a myriad of factors, the biggest one being who got the license.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I've enjoyed every episode so far. It's not reaching to depths untold or anything, but it's fun. Not necessarily funny, but fun.

I entered it with zero expectations - it may have been oversold to many folks. For me it very much calls back to western animation's love of just zero overarching progression and nothing but a series of completely unrelated nothings, the stuff I grew up with. Even Bebop and Champloo for all their isolated stories had at least the lurking sense of continuity, consequence, and growth. This is much closer to an "Ed, Edd, n' Eddy" or something, where almost anything can happen in any given episode and it has no bearing upon the work as a whole.

If you're looking for what you typically might in an anime series, you might walk away disappointed or find it dry/lacking. If you view it positively, the show has a lot it can do when it isn't shackling itself down with continuity. Episode 4 was the best yet, but each episode has been better than the last, and that's promising.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

I haven't watched much 80s stuff and I've loved Space Dandy since episode 1. :shrug:

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Shere posted:

I entered it with zero expectations - it may have been oversold to many folks. For me it very much calls back to western animation's love of just zero overarching progression and nothing but a series of completely unrelated nothings, the stuff I grew up with. Even Bebop and Champloo for all their isolated stories had at least the lurking sense of continuity, consequence, and growth. This is much closer to an "Ed, Edd, n' Eddy" or something, where almost anything can happen in any given episode and it has no bearing upon the work as a whole.

If you're looking for what you typically might in an anime series, you might walk away disappointed or find it dry/lacking. If you view it positively, the show has a lot it can do when it isn't shackling itself down with continuity. Episode 4 was the best yet, but each episode has been better than the last, and that's promising.

I grew up with that stuff too, but mainly on account of there were a very sparse number of shows that weren't episodic, so it wasn't much of a choice on my part. Once it became feasible to do otherwise I did a 180 turn in favor of serial based shows and now (At least from anime) an anime being episodic alone almost feels like a betrayal of expectations, without even getting into anything about hype from who's making what and how it will save anime. Dantalian no Shoka was a huge snoozefest for me because it felt like the plot went no where.

On the other hand, I liked Cowboy Bebop which had maybe what, 5 episodes that had anything to do with the main plot? That was a long time ago now though, so maybe I've changed. Then again I like Watamote and that's pretty episodic.. :shrug: Though as you said, there's still a sense of some continuity (In both.)

I just know I am not feeling it with this show but desperately want to like it. :smith: Still holding out that it will get "better" (Although if a different person is writing every single episode that seems unlikely unless there's a major shift after the first half.)

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Sex_Ferguson posted:

The only show of his that hasn't done well here is Kids on the Slope and well that's due to a myriad of factors, the biggest one being who got the license.

I think even if it had a different licensor, Kids on the Slope would receive only a little more attention. No television network would ever play that show here.

MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Zogundar posted:

On the other hand, I liked Cowboy Bebop which had maybe what, 5 episodes that had anything to do with the main plot?

I'd say it was more like 10, more if you include the ones that go into the back stories of some of the characters, but whateves.

I have a feeling everything is gonna get tied up together in the end considering Watanabe's track record, but even if it doesn't that's totally cool.

livingfruitvirus posted:

I think even if it had a different licensor, Kids on the Slope would receive only a little more attention. No television network would ever play that show here.

The pitch: A heavily nostalgic slice of life drama set in 1960s Japan about kids that play Jazz. Yeeeaaaahhh.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The final episode will be Crisis on Infinite Dandies.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
The last episode is going to be just like the ending of Bioshock Infinite, with Meow playing the role of Elizabeth.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Pretty sure the last episode they're going to reveal that dandy isn't a human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Command Ant posted:

The last episode is going to be just like the ending of Bioshock Infinite, with Meow playing the role of Elizabeth.

Wait, so Dandy is Admiral Perry?

• Locked thread