Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Tezzeract posted:

I'm ok with the idea of boosting being a limited thing by hero coins. If you think about it, boosting made PVP a complete spamfest and trivialized defense.

On the other hand, throwing these changes along with this ultra-difficult PVE is terrible. The casuals are 100% going to go to another game if D3 keeps on changing rules midway through. The system is doable now, but all this guessing for these events gets really tiring.

There's something about this PvE. Without boosts, I lose about 50% of the time to easy groups... Especially with Maggia people who create needed tile colors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

Tezzeract posted:

The casuals are 100% going to go to another game if D3 keeps on changing rules midway through.

It's not just the casual players, though. Until today, I had loaded this game up every day since I downloaded it. I threw money at them every couple of weeks. But all of the poo poo they've done recently has just sucked the life out of it for me. I was already feeling a little fatigued with the 3-4 events running at a time, but to hop into an event 2 hours before it ends and being forced to download an update that makes it impossible to finish? I can't fight teams of 230 level heroes because any effective character has either been nerfed or is on the list to be nerfed, and now effectively boosting is either eating up more of your ISO or costs ridiculous amounts of premium currency. I was so frustrated trying to place in the PVE event yesterday that I just said gently caress it. Now the game is gone, and I'm done with it. And I'm not a whale, but I'm probably the next best thing - someone who doesn't mind supporting the game that I was getting a lot of time out of with 10 or 20 bucks here and there.

And now I'm gone for good, so how's that look for their business model?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Who knows. All I've seen is that no one is happy with how they're handling this.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

JGBeagle posted:

Is Puzzle and Dragons a good replacement for this turd?

Karnegal posted:

Do you like spending money, or are you very disciplined? It's a good game, and a bit more generous with what it gives you, but it's also easy to throw a bunch of money at.

If you play the JP version they are extremely generous with the in-game currency, so you don't really have to throw money at it. So if you can handle the Japanese text it is the version to play.

So, I was doing pretty well in a lightning round (like top 15) and decided to check the top guy.

Yes, I can certainly beat him. #1, Here I come!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

BDawg posted:

There's something about this PvE. Without boosts, I lose about 50% of the time to easy groups... Especially with Maggia people who create needed tile colors.

The worst is when they pair a Maggia guy with Ares or somesuch and they just go wild with the skills.

I really wish I could hire a Maggia guy to be my battery.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

JGBeagle posted:

It's a different beast as far as gameplay go but it is indeed very fun and WAY MORE generous as far as giving you IAP currency. There's an event coming up which may be a good time to start. Rerolling is annoying and can be frustrating but it is worth it so at the very least try it out.

It's also all PVE so whaling doesnt affect you at all.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Also, dear god read the PAD thread. Following the starting advice (while frustrating) will make your life WAY easier. There's also a godfest coming up in the next week or so, so it'll be a good time to start

JagGator
Oct 31, 2012
I came to this game way back when based on posts in the PaD thread so I guess we've come full circle!

The thing about the boosts is that if they were too powerful or causing people to play in a style the devs didn't intend, then the thing to do would be to remove them. Instead they just made them pay-to-win for the whales who can just keep on playing the same way, which is nothing but the worst sort of cash grab.

IAP only works tolerably if it's for cosmetic purposes only (ex: Path of Exile) or for a fundamentally single-player game (ex: PaD). Anything with PvP or leaderboard rewards it just feels scummy.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
The problem with PAD is that there's no PC version so idiots like me get funbalanced to oblivion :smith:.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

MPQ's best contribution to the world is the word "funbalance."

Speaking of which, here are some thoughts:

- Like I said before, OBW's blue heals for too much. Black deals too much damage with strike tiles
- strike tile additive mechanic breaks the game for characters like OBW and after she's funbalanced I'm sure it will also break the game for future characters.
- X-force wolverine is still broken aka abysmally bad.
- Patch wolverine's yellow at rank 5 violates their own design philosophy that they applied to nerf astonishing wolvie. Expect a funbalance.
- ISO is too expensive to IAP. HC is also too expensive to IAP.
- not enough free IAP, pad-style. Toss me a bone here, d3jsp.
- prologue missions are completely useless after you have all of the rewards (or at least all of the most important ones).
- why not buff bag man, ever? Is he just a joke?
- Event PvE matches need to update their point value live, it sucks to start a match expecting a 2,000 point gain and to just get 1.
- eliminate +3/all boost (Did you guys also notice that +damage/all was also changed to cost 50 HC???)
- fix PvP matchmaking so that you're more likely to see higher ranked opponents than lower ranked opponents, so that we don't need to skip so goddamn often.
- elite avengers tournament is a hilarious shitshow. The winning strategy is apparently to shield, skip through opponents until you have 3 high point targets lined up, beat them for whatever points they're worth, then shield again. The top players have allegedly spent thousands of HC from just hop-shielding around each other. In for a penny, in for a pound.

messagemode1 fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 30, 2014

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

JagGator posted:

I came to this game way back when based on posts in the PaD thread so I guess we've come full circle!

The thing about the boosts is that if they were too powerful or causing people to play in a style the devs didn't intend, then the thing to do would be to remove them. Instead they just made them pay-to-win for the whales who can just keep on playing the same way, which is nothing but the worst sort of cash grab.

IAP only works tolerably if it's for cosmetic purposes only (ex: Path of Exile) or for a fundamentally single-player game (ex: PaD). Anything with PvP or leaderboard rewards it just feels scummy.

Paying to win with these temporary boosts is the worst thing anyone can do. What if you lose with the rainbow boost? What if you're just buying stacks of health packs to crash against the 230s. Because you can still lose. Right now the PVE difficulty is just hosed and whatever consultant they hired to increase revenue through insane difficulty should get the middle finger.

Shields are actually pay to win and I'm wondering why people don't complain about that more.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 30, 2014

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

messagemode1 posted:

- Patch wolverine's yellow at rank 5 violates their own design philosophy that they applied to nerf astonishing wolvie. Expect a funbalance.

I doubt this will happen since he's a 3 star. The reason they nerfed Wolverine and Thor was because they were fairly common to get and nobody gave a gently caress about any of the 3 stars [I still don't give a gently caress about any of the 3 stars as they're all hot garbage with a pretty face.]

Shroud
May 11, 2009
While it's neat that now you can see other players' teams. would it really kill them to have them sorted by level?

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Dizz posted:

I doubt this will happen since he's a 3 star. The reason they nerfed Wolverine and Thor was because they were fairly common to get and nobody gave a gently caress about any of the 3 stars [I still don't give a gently caress about any of the 3 stars as they're all hot garbage with a pretty face.]

I know the stars are a part of the calculus but:

quote:

Analysis:

• Designer Comments: There were a couple issues with this ability (one of which wasn't really a balance issue).
o Healed too much. It ticked just about every turn, which was too often given the amount it was healing. (The numbers don't individually look that big, but the cumulative effect is unreasonably hefty.) Passives have a balance budget and this was spending it three times over.
o Not fun enough. Because it was based purely on tile count it either happened... or it didn't. We strongly prefer abilities that require decision making and this one didn't. Bonus points if you don't have to count anything.
• To address this we introduced a threshold - Wolverine needs to be below 50% health for the ability to tick. This allows us to increase the amount that gets healed without inadvertent overpower. There's some gameplay here now! Healing requires you to make tile moves. There is a wrinkle here too; Wolverine is fairly strong in Yellow, so getting him to heal might put him out front. Mind that team composition. This captures the initial idea of the ability much better: Wolverine using his healing factor to be the last man standing. When you back him in a corner you better be prepared to finish the job! We'll be watching this one closely (as we do with all abilities). It might need another kick up. We want it to be noticeable & fun.
• IceIX Feedback: Wolverine isn't a tank. That's Colossus or Thor's job. Taking damage just isn't what he does (although he does do that on a regular basis anyway). His earlier Healing Factor means that you were best off keeping him out front since at level 5 he could tank pretty much any normal match from your opponents without any worry. To push this back into the spirit of what Wolverine does, we made it more an ability to allow him to carry through against rough odds. At lower health he regens vastly more health. At level 5, he's gaining about 15% of his max health each turn. This pretty well prevents anything but powerful attacks from getting through and enabling him to push out a few more rounds in preparation for an attack of his own to carry the day, much how Wolverine gets through difficult fights in comics.

This analysis doesn't say it was too good of a passive for 2*, it just said it was too good period. Also they don't want wolverines to tank, not astonishing, not x-force, and probably not patch, and currently Patch is very good at tanking because his healing factor is like twice as good as Astonishing was.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

messagemode1 posted:

I know the stars are a part of the calculus but:

This analysis doesn't say it was too good of a passive for 2*, it just said it was too good period. Also they don't want wolverines to tank, not astonishing, not x-force, and probably not patch, and currently Patch is very good at tanking because his healing factor is like twice as good as Astonishing was.

Hint: They are lying about their motives. The reason they funbalanced those dudes was because you could actually get them without spending money. You cannot be having that since the whole point of the game, from their point of view, is for you to covet the expensive poo poo and spend money trying to get it.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Tezzeract posted:

Paying to win with these temporary boosts is the worst thing anyone can do. What if you lose with the rainbow boost? What if you're just buying stacks of health packs to crash against the 230s. Because you can still lose. Right now the PVE difficulty is just hosed and whatever consultant they hired to increase revenue through insane difficulty should get the middle finger.

Shields are actually pay to win and I'm wondering why people don't complain about that more.

It's, again, a really, really strange pricing scheme. In most games you spend premium currency for permanent additions to your account, but they seem to want you to use your currency on constantly buying temporary buffs and shields. And then they don't even award enough of the premium currency to be doing THAT on a regular basis. It just seems like they would have been much better off with a subscription model, if the goal is to have people think of it as a 20 bucks of HP a month game.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
The ridiculous thing is it would cost what, THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS to get enough ISO to max ONE three-star character, assuming you have all the cards?

No wait that's not nearly the only ridiculous thing, but it's right up there!

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

JGBeagle posted:

I have a counterpoint which is that despite the fact that PaD is pretty fun and a much better game than this piece of poo poo, you have to be a serious match 3 savant because you can move a tile an unlimited amount of times within like 5 seconds. Additionally, the game is tuned against this fact, so basically the game for me devolved into using a matchmaking helper app because I just wasn't good enough at it to progress.

Also, enjoy spending 20 hours rerolling your guy and redoing the tutorial to get a starting god :suicide:

Syrinxx fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 30, 2014

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

messagemode1 posted:

same post posted:

Wolverine's abilities are revised to bring them in line with 2-star balance.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Syrinxx posted:

I have a counterpoint which is that despite the fact that PaD is pretty fun and a much better game than this piece of poo poo, you have to be a serious match 3 savant because you can move a tile an unlimited amount of times within like 5 seconds. Additionally, the game is tuned against this fact, so basically the game for me devolved into using a matchmaking helper app because I just wasn't good enough at it to progress.

Also, enjoy spending 20 hours rerolling your guy and redoing the tutorial to get a starting god :suicide:

While you do need some serious puzzling skills to do the special dungeons on their highest difficulty the game usually provides you with an easier option (exception: Zeus, Athena, and a few others) that can usually be done with simple mono-color teams, which are much easier to play.

I use a matchmaking app from time to time when I am farming a dungeon and want to do it as fast as possible, but my skills have improved tremendously since I started playing. The cheating apps are fine to grab rare drops but being good enough to use some of the more demanding monsters is very satisfying.

But yeah, the re-rolling at the start is brutal indeed. I wonder why haven't they added a "skip tutorial" option after all this time.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

trucutru posted:

While you do need some serious puzzling skills to do the special dungeons on their highest difficulty the game usually provides you with an easier option (exception: Zeus, Athena, and a few others) that can usually be done with simple mono-color teams, which are much easier to play.

I use a matchmaking app from time to time when I am farming a dungeon and want to do it as fast as possible, but my skills have improved tremendously since I started playing. The cheating apps are fine to grab rare drops but being good enough to use some of the more demanding monsters is very satisfying.

But yeah, the re-rolling at the start is brutal indeed. I wonder why haven't they added a "skip tutorial" option after all this time.

It gets a lot easier after a few months of playing though. There's this poster in my living room with a bunch of square pictures on it, and whenever I see it my mind automatically starts organizing it PAD-style.

Eddain fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jan 30, 2014

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
This sounds a lot like Doctor Who: Legacy. I liked DWL (even though I've only watched like 7 episodes spread across the entire series) but the gameplay was confusing when switched between it and this turd.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Been throwing trash at Hood & Magneto for the last couple days. Got them down from 230 to 116 so far.

Main observation has been that Dormammu's Aid is bonkers overpowered. A passive that steals 0-2 random AP every loving turn.

herakles
Jan 17, 2009
Welp, accidentally spent 500 hero points on boosts before I noticed the price change while attempting to beat Magneto and Hood. loving awesome.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
Bejeweled and IAP a match made in heaven.

But seriously this kinda totally sucks.

mania
Sep 9, 2004

herakles posted:

Welp, accidentally spent 500 hero points on boosts before I noticed the price change while attempting to beat Magneto and Hood. loving awesome.

Send in a support ticket, they're offering refunds to people who bought boosts for HP by accident.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

I know but I can't imagine that their logic is "2* wolverine isn't meant to be a tank and the skill isn't working like we intended but 3* wolverine is totally a tank."

But yeah that logic is probably more of a front than actual design philosophy.

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

I really can't get over how disappointed I am in what they've done to this game. For a solid 2 months I could not get enough of this and in the span of a week, they have clusterfucked, or more accurately clusterFUN'd, away all my desire to play. I don't want to completely give up on it yet and I will probably try and win one match a day just to keep my daily reward streak going. But my days of playing this whenever I had some free time are probably gone.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

I kinda gave up all hope in this game. I don't even have the motivation to play even one match anymore. I hope their quest for money succeeds for them because I'm pretty much done with it. I'm glad I didn't spend a cent on this game.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
If anyone still gives a poo poo, I'm finding that my best method of clowning the 230 Maggia missions is, oddly enough, to REMOVE Spider-Man from my team and slot in Magneto Classic. The Master of Magnetism versus guys with guns? Sounds like a fair fight to me.

(That's why they're nerfing him soon.)

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Magneto NOW is also worth another look with OBW, at least in pve. In pvp Their combined hps are way too low.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
How is Loki against those countdowns...I have a low level one, but does it let you take control of ALL countdowns, because that seems like you could easily cheese PvE with that no matter what.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Magneto NOW actually seems like a great partner for OBW for this PVE, at least against the Maggia, considering that their most dangerous abilities are Blue. Get purple, use Magneto's ability to destroy the Blue Countdown Tiles, and then use OBW's Blue to delay the Yellow Countdown Tiles. You'd need to pair them up with someone who's good on offense, like Patch or Ares or whatever. Also you'd need to get enough Purple AP as soon as possible.

And Loki doesn't have any skills that lets him manipulate countdowns. His Black manipulates enemy Strike / Protect tiles by turning them into friendly Protect / Strike tiles.

You're thinking of Moonstone, whose Black lets you take control of a random enemy Countdown Tile.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Magneto NOW actually seems like a great partner for OBW for this PVE, at least against the Maggia, considering that their most dangerous abilities are Blue. Get purple, use Magneto's ability to destroy the Blue Countdown Tiles, and then use OBW's Blue to delay the Yellow Countdown Tiles. You'd need to pair them up with someone who's good on offense, like Patch or Ares or whatever. Also you'd need to get enough Purple AP as soon as possible.

And Loki doesn't have any skills that lets him manipulate countdowns. His Black manipulates enemy Strike / Protect tiles by turning them into friendly Protect / Strike tiles.

You're thinking of Moonstone, whose Black lets you take control of a random enemy Countdown Tile.

Ahh, you're right.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

intangible posted:

I really can't get over how disappointed I am in what they've done to this game. For a solid 2 months I could not get enough of this and in the span of a week, they have clusterfucked, or more accurately clusterFUN'd, away all my desire to play. I don't want to completely give up on it yet and I will probably try and win one match a day just to keep my daily reward streak going. But my days of playing this whenever I had some free time are probably gone.

Yeah, I just wiped the game off my HD. I realized I was just chasing the dumb Daredevil character and couldn't really do most of the missions. Between that and all the PVP changes, I just give up on this frustrating game.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

delfin posted:

If anyone still gives a poo poo, I'm finding that my best method of clowning the 230 Maggia missions is, oddly enough, to REMOVE Spider-Man from my team and slot in Magneto Classic. The Master of Magnetism versus guys with guns? Sounds like a fair fight to me.

(That's why they're nerfing him soon.)

Isn't the best way to reduce the difficulty by repeatedly losing? Yesterday I managed to bring some dudes from 150 to 89 doing that.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Brilliant new gameplay mechanics.

:v:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Wish I even had that many useful heroes to kill. I guess that means I've at least got some time to play before I hit the wall they threw up in front of you guys though right? These 300 HP teammates of mine are getting to be a serious liability already though and I just have nothing else with any skills worth using.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I'm not going the "kill yourself ten times to beat the mission once" route because (a) I have the luxury of characters that can win without boosts, albeit painfully sometimes, and (b) it's fuckin' insulting to put the player base through that. The devs saying "We really didn't expect 7/8 of the event to be pinned at Level 230 for most players _but we're going to leave it that way_" speaks volumes in and of itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
There's one mission in the main section that gives you a level 6 storm to fight against Ares, Control, & Bullseye.

The fight is goes really fast if Ares busts out rampage from all the reds the Control is generating.