Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win?
This poll is closed.
Vishy Anand 3 2.26%
Magnus Carlsen 30 22.56%
Kirsan Ilyumzhinov 100 75.19%
Total: 133 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?

V for Vegas posted:

Daniel King :allears:

Goddamn Gelfand, that is a nice hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

singe
Aug 24, 2008

I want to ride my bicycle.
I think my bet paid off, Vishy is going to be playing in the candidates.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

singe posted:

I think my bet paid off, Vishy is going to be playing in the candidates.

Only half of it so far - there still needs to be the return to form.

Also after the rest day (and a near-rest day before that) it looks like there's some pretty interesting stuff going on like Aronian in some trouble against Giri and whatever the gently caress is happening in Caruana-Rapport.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Nakamura just blundered into a midgame mating net against Harikrishna. Painful stuff, fell for the classic attack on a fianchetto bishop position. He's been poor this tournament.

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
Meanwhile my boy Dominguez just stuffed pieces down So's throat until he choked.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Brunello looked to have an extremely drawn game (0.00 for about 5 moves each) but now seems to have an attack going. We'll have to see where this goes, or rather wait another hour since they're about to hit the time control.

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?

Flayer posted:

Nakamura just blundered into a midgame mating net against Harikrishna. Painful stuff, fell for the classic attack on a fianchetto bishop position. He's been poor this tournament.

Modrasone posted:

Meanwhile my boy Dominguez just stuffed pieces down So's throat until he choked.

Welp I suck

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Modrasone posted:

That was just nasty.

silvergoose posted:

Brunello looked to have an extremely drawn game (0.00 for about 5 moves each) but now seems to have an attack going. We'll have to see where this goes, or rather wait another hour since they're about to hit the time control.

When playing through the game I had to keep reminding myself that it was white who won. Then 42...Qe7 happened.

Also nice to see my boy Yu recover from pissing away a great attack to finesse a win out of a drawn endgame.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yeah I'm assuming that move was a blunder, what with the queen being what was keeping that pawn in check. Ha ha check ha ha.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Arkadij Naiditsch has had a pretty bad tournament and, by the looks of it, this game is going much the same way. Also Aronian looks to be in reasonably decent position to continue his perfect score with white.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Gads dang it, section B is off again. How can I cheer for my main man Brunello at this rate? :v:

So what were the actual bad moves in the Naiditsch game thus far? Nothing jumps out at me. I mean, I can do so with the help of the computer, but that feels useless for actually recognizing why a move is bad.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

silvergoose posted:

Gads dang it, section B is off again. How can I cheer for my main man Brunello at this rate? :v:

So what were the actual bad moves in the Naiditsch game thus far? Nothing jumps out at me. I mean, I can do so with the help of the computer, but that feels useless for actually recognizing why a move is bad.

Basically he played a weird poo poo opening and has had to follow it up by putting his pieces in all kinds of awful positions. Just looking through the game and using your intuition will get you a set of moves that pretty much match the ones the computer hates: Qe1, Be3, Rd2. Although it really hates f4 and Qe1, and is now spitting a -3.41 on move 15 so holy crap he's getting murdered.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

Basically he played a weird poo poo opening and has had to follow it up by putting his pieces in all kinds of awful positions. Just looking through the game and using your intuition will get you a set of moves that pretty much match the ones the computer hates: Qe1, Be3, Rd2. Although it really hates f4 and Qe1, and is now spitting a -3.41 on move 15 so holy crap he's getting murdered.

Yeah I'm seeing weird flashbacks to when I tried to play the dragon and just smashed open the C file, which is what looks to be coming. Can't wait!

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I know you just explained it Hand Knit, but I'm still shocked that a strong GM can be this lost by move 16.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

gret posted:

I know you just explained it Hand Knit, but I'm still shocked that a strong GM can be this lost by move 16.

Well, as I said, it looks a *ton* like the Sicilian Dragon, with knight on c3, rook ready to go to c8 and sac there, white castled on queenside, etc.

And unlike the Yugoslav attack, white isn't in a good position to actually punish black for anything.

Note, black already has a pawn on d5, which is one of the main goals of the dragon. I'm seriously excited to see this.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

gret posted:

He's had a real poo poo tournament so he Tried Something and got slapped down. It's sort of a caution about cases where you play openings on the hope that your opponent doesn't understand them so you can get them in trouble - sometimes they understand the opening better than you and you just die.

e: And Naidistch goes out with a splat, more or less mated on move 19.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 23, 2014

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
What a disaster. My poor human brain couldn't really see why Qd1 was such a weak move but holy poo poo @ dxc5. That has to be one of the worst moves played in the last few years, it's blatantly obvious that white losing the Knight on c3 is game over.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
My boy Harikrishna has had a pretty good tournament, only 1/2 a point behind second place. But that was a gift.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

V for Vegas posted:

My boy Harikrishna has had a pretty good tournament, only 1/2 a point behind second place. But that was a gift.

He's played 52 total moves in winning his last two rounds :laugh:

Also another good win by Aronian, this time against Karjakin. He's now +4 -0 =0 with white this tournament. Rc1 was a pretty sweet way to win a pawn (even if the computer says that black has some obscure way to sacrifice an exchange for repetition), and converting the endgame was incredibly direct and elementary in its technique.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Bill Gates... good at computers, not so good at chess.

http://www.nrk.no/kultur/carlsen-knuste-verdens-rikeste-1.11490996

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

V for Vegas posted:

Bill Gates... good at computers, not so good at chess.

http://www.nrk.no/kultur/carlsen-knuste-verdens-rikeste-1.11490996

Not so tough without Deep Blue to act as his enforcer, now is he?

In Wijk-B it looks like Timman is going to knock off Jobava, leaving Ivan Saric all alone in first place with 8.5/11, followed by Timman (8) then Jobava (7.5). Despite there being two rounds left, everyone other than those three and Anna Muzychik are mathematically eliminated. Meanwhile Etienne Goudriaan seems to be the person most suffering from the loss of the C-group, as he's currently 1/11 :stare:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

Not so tough without Deep Blue to act as his enforcer, now is he?

In Wijk-B it looks like Timman is going to knock off Jobava, leaving Ivan Saric all alone in first place with 8.5/11, followed by Timman (8) then Jobava (7.5). Despite there being two rounds left, everyone other than those three and Anna Muzychik are mathematically eliminated. Meanwhile Etienne Goudriaan seems to be the person most suffering from the loss of the C-group, as he's currently 1/11 :stare:

Wait he got mated in a back line with no pawns advanced. No kidding. You know how they make you push a pawn, even if it doesn't really help you, just to avoid that? It's sometimes astonishing that very, very basic truisms come up in such prestigious events, too.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

silvergoose posted:

Wait he got mated in a back line with no pawns advanced. No kidding. You know how they make you push a pawn, even if it doesn't really help you, just to avoid that? It's sometimes astonishing that very, very basic truisms come up in such prestigious events, too.

To be fair to him, he was already fried and just chose to get mated Nigel Short style. On the other hand, that's the sort of game I'd expect to play against a 1900.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

To be fair to him, he was already fried and just chose to get mated Nigel Short style. On the other hand, that's the sort of game I'd expect to play against a 1900.

Honestly have no idea what you mean w.r.t. Nigel Short style. Was he known for that?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

silvergoose posted:

Honestly have no idea what you mean w.r.t. Nigel Short style. Was he known for that?

He has been known to continue playing dead lost games for silly reasons, like setting a tournament record for longest game or getting himself mated in a particularly ridiculous way.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Aronian putting the finishing touches on yet another win. Ho-hum.

Meanwhile, if you guys want to see an extended time scramble, check out Rapport-Nakamura. Naka sacrificed a knight on move 15 (which I see just now Rapport has declined), which has brought Naka to <10 minutes calculating the sacrifice and Rapport to ~25 minutes in deciding whether or not to accept.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
Fantasy Chess Update!

Now that Wijk aan Zee is over, we can have our first official standings update. Even though none of my players did particularly well, I've jumped into first because all four were playing there. Meanwhile, Hand Knit has taken second on the back of Mr. Levon Aronian, while Shoeonhead22 is in third.

Standings Link

OrangeKing: 19
Hand Knit: 16
Shoeonhead22: 11
V for Vegas: 8.5
Flayer: 8
gret: 8
singe: 6.5
silvergoose: 6
Modrasone: 6
supercrooky: 3.5
vyshka: 0
Aggro: 0

Two more tournaments starting up this week: the Gibraltar Masters and the Zurich Chess Challenge.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Aronian topped off his great tournament by hanging mate in the last round. Undercut what could have been a >3000 perf.

Gibraltar starts Tuesday, and Zurich Thursday. Gibraltar looks quite nice, and I wouldn't mind playing it one day.

e: OK - can you give another run down on how the waiver system works.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 26, 2014

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I've got decent hopes for Vitiguov in the Gibraltar swiss. Caruana was a little disappointing at Wijk ann Zee, pretty middle of the road performance for someone of his calibre.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

3/4 of my team members are playing at Gibraltar, so hopefully I should be able to gain some points. Peter Svidler needs to get off his couch and stop watching cricket and play in some tournaments already.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

gret posted:

3/4 of my team members are playing at Gibraltar, so hopefully I should be able to gain some points. Peter Svidler needs to get off his couch and stop watching cricket and play in some tournaments already.

Reading the twitter stream of a Russian GM talking about cricket is pretty funny though.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!
I have 11 players in our fantasy league participating in Gibraltar. If I've missed anyone, let me know. My tally is as follows:

Shoeonhead22: Cheparinov
Flayer: Vitiugov, Navara
OrangeKing: Zhao Xue, Rapport
V for Vegas: Harikrishna
gret: Adams, Kamsky, Muzychuk
Aggro: Vachier-Lagrave
silvergoose: Ivanchuk

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Eljanov!

e: Speaking of which, he came up against a Giuoco Pianissimo today (and crushed it). I bring that up because I saw it come up it Wijk (by Rapport?). Is there some new theory on this I'm unaware of or is this just chance (or a copycat)?

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 28, 2014

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Hand Knit posted:

Eljanov!

e: Speaking of which, he came up against a Giuoco Pianissimo today (and crushed it). I bring that up because I saw it come up it Wijk (by Rapport?). Is there some new theory on this I'm unaware of or is this just chance (or a copycat)?

I wonder if it's just more players trying to follow Magnus's trend of just getting a playable position out of the opening and trying to outplay your opponent from there versus the pre-Magnus strategy of playing some fashionable 25-move deep line that gets you a += at the end.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Though I'd think that playing 1.e4 2.Nf3 3.Be2 is such a big hit in development that it's more likely to be something with heavy prep than something white can casually play for an easy game.

Spug
Dec 10, 2006

Then turn not pale, beloved snail, but come and join the dance.
Holy poo poo Anand was crushed by Magnus in Zurich. 21 moves! Poor guy.

Magnus was pretty rusty too though, but is tied with Aronian for first now. Pretty exciting!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Spug posted:

Holy poo poo Anand was crushed by Magnus in Zurich. 21 moves! Poor guy.

Fortunately, that was just the blitz. The real chess is starting just now. Nakamura-Caruana looks the most interesting to start.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I reckon Nakas attack is busted and he'll now have to spend a couple of tempo getting his King to safety thus giving Caruana some chances.

Spug
Dec 10, 2006

Then turn not pale, beloved snail, but come and join the dance.

Hand Knit posted:

Fortunately, that was just the blitz. The real chess is starting just now. Nakamura-Caruana looks the most interesting to start.
Oh I know. Sorry for not specifying, but that game was just... Wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Levon, you always look good.

• Locked thread