Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

CaptainPsyko posted:

"STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS for the various so called "plot fixes" or "fixes to plot fixes".

What? Why? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Krowley posted:

What? Why? :confused:
Plot Fixes is a mod that wouldn't be out of place in the awful mods thread. The guy who made it frigging loved playing a wizard with save-or-die spells (in the old - now defunct - NWN2 forums he used to post about how awesome his wizard cheated together with overpowered mods was). So he removed the immortality flag from NPCs which had them, just so he could cast Finger or Death on them. This can break the game if such a NPC is needed for a cutscene but dies before that can activate.
A lot of his fixes are also completely untested and just introduce new bugs and glitches. Kinda funny concidering the guy calls Obsidian stupid and lazy in almost every entry in his readme. He also switched the gender checks in the romance related dialogues so he could roleplay as a lesbian and not have to worry about Casavir's advances (he also used to post about that in the old NWN2 forums) and setup several cheats and whatnot to make the game easier for his wizard.

There are actually a handfull of actual fixes in there, they're just burried under layers and layers of flatout broken stuff and the guy's personal tweaks and cheats which makes it not worth it.
A goon made a fix pack for plot fixes which you can find in the OP, but the last time I checked it out it didn't catch all of plot fixes' stupidity.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 22, 2013

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Ah, I see. Played through MOTB with the plot fixes (and goon-made fix fixes) and I never ran into any obvious issues.

I just figured it'd be all good since it's featured in the mod pack in the OP.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Krowley posted:

Ah, I see. Played through MOTB with the plot fixes (and goon-made fix fixes) and I never ran into any obvious issues.

I just figured it'd be all good since it's featured in the mod pack in the OP.

MOTB's fixpack is less bad, but it's still 95% unnecessary bullshit that represents the mod authors personal agenda or interpretation of Realmslore and 5% things that *maybe* need fixing, but honestly, you wouldn't have noticed them anyway.

Some highlights of things that are 'fixed' along with their justifications front the recent updates listed on the download page:

quote:

You won't be able to provoke Yurak and other berserkers into a fight any longer, this is just stupid
Gave some bonus rogue features to Kaji and equipped him with the Amulet of the Master, otherwise the stupid familiar fails all disable device checks. He can pickpocket now as well, gave him some base skill. This is done every time he's summoned, so he will always have the new feats/amulet. He gets Skill Mastery, Nimble fingers feats and some skill focus feats important to rogues. Should help with traps and locks until you gain access to OOM.
Disabled Charisma check for males in initial convo with Gann, feels gay. Enabled additional Flirt Background option for females
transferred all levelup points wasted on str, con, int into their primary attributes (WIS+Cha, focus on CHA for Gann, focus on WIS for Dove)
Destroyed their crap equipment and gave them stuff appropriate for their levels
Dove now has Sun/Evil domains instead of her original crap domains

I mean, I'm sorry, but there's just no reason to bother with this mod, *especially* for a first time player. For that matter, I'm of the opinion that there's really no reason to bother with *any* mod as a first time player, with the possible exception of TonyK's AI if you find the default AI frustrating. (I don't find it worth the amount of configuration it requires personally, but people swear by it so *shrug*.)

Kaedrin's would be the only other mod I'd typically out and out recommend, but it really requires a level of system mastery such that I wouldn't feel comfortable suggesting it to somebody playing the game for the first time. Besides, the primary appeal of Kaedrin's just doesn't exist unless you've already exhausted the options available without it.

The mod pack from the OP is nice and all if you're into that sort of thing, but really, most of it is just mods for the sake of mods. Other than TonyK's and Kaedrin's, the only mods for NWN2 that actually matter are content mods - there's a ton of great modules out there. The rest of the stuff is minor cosmetics at best, and flat out dumb at worst.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

prometheusbound2 posted:

Have there been any good single player modules released for either Neverwinter Nights in the past 2 years? Or is that scene pretty much dead?

I posted about this in the Awesome/Bad mods thread, and it could easily count for one or the other, but I found 16 Cygni for NWN 2 to be one of the better story mods, combining sci-fi and fantasy- my post on the game is here if you want to have a look.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mygna posted:

The only relatively new NWN module I can honestly recommend is Chapter 2 of Swordflight. The first chapter was good, if nothing special, but the second is one of the best modules I've ever played, up there with Aielund in my opinion. Chapter 3 is also still being actively developed, wich is always a plus.

I've tried several times to start Path of Evil, but the writing is honestly so bad and the story so directionless that I always give up after a while, even though I like the idea of an evil campaign.

Play the Blackguard trilogy. It is hysterically bad to the point of being super enjoyable in an MST3K sort of sense.

k stone
Aug 30, 2009
So this topic convinced me to give NWN2's original content a shot before just skipping to Mask of the Betrayer. I've been finding its brokenness and remarkably unselfaware cliches pretty endearing. However, I think my game is actually broken. Like, more than it's supposed to be. Some sailors at Highcliff insulted the druid in my party...but there is no druid in my party. I went to look it up, and apparently Elanee should've joined me on the way to Highcliff. That scene simply never triggered. Then when I talked to Shandra, she started insulting me for getting her barn burned down. Only, I never saw anything of the sort happen. She just introduced herself, then got mad at me. I seem to be missing cutscenes all over the place. Googling this didn't immediately turn up anything, so I'm not sure if this is a known problem or what, but it seems as though my game is totally fubared. I have some old saves, but not that old, and I don't really have the motivation to play up to Neverwinter again in something I'm enjoying in some weird nostalgic-ironic confluence anyway. Anyone know what's up and if there's a chance of fixing it? I'm playing the version offered by GOG without any mods.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
That sounds... Totally FUBAR, and I doubt it's fixable without restarting.

That said there's a save file linked in the OP from right around the point that you're at IIRC, if you don't mind playing a rogue.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

k stone posted:

So this topic convinced me to give NWN2's original content a shot before just skipping to Mask of the Betrayer. I've been finding its brokenness and remarkably unselfaware cliches pretty endearing. However, I think my game is actually broken. Like, more than it's supposed to be. Some sailors at Highcliff insulted the druid in my party...but there is no druid in my party. I went to look it up, and apparently Elanee should've joined me on the way to Highcliff. That scene simply never triggered. Then when I talked to Shandra, she started insulting me for getting her barn burned down. Only, I never saw anything of the sort happen. She just introduced herself, then got mad at me. I seem to be missing cutscenes all over the place. Googling this didn't immediately turn up anything, so I'm not sure if this is a known problem or what, but it seems as though my game is totally fubared. I have some old saves, but not that old, and I don't really have the motivation to play up to Neverwinter again in something I'm enjoying in some weird nostalgic-ironic confluence anyway. Anyone know what's up and if there's a chance of fixing it? I'm playing the version offered by GOG without any mods.

And its a shame, because the the NWN2OC is actually pretty self aware of its cliches, and handles that awareness pretty drat well, but doesn't really hit that point until later in the game, after hours of pointless orc caves and warrior dwarves with Scottish accents.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

k stone posted:

You could try this:

quote:

Travel to Fort Locke or Highcliff.
~
DebugMode 1
rs ga_conversation_self("00_debug")
DebugMode 0
~
It'll open a dialogue that might let you revert (or advance) the plot to where it needs to go. I haven't experimented with it too much.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
There's also kind of a catch-all at the Act II break where everyone that you're supposed to have in your party will just pop into existence in the bar. I've had a few runs where Elanee's first encounter just never triggers because it's an obsidian game

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Anyone know why Bevil might night be using it's AI to fight? I have Annakies mod compilation and the visual compilation as my only mods. I checked his behavior tab and it looks like he should be ready to attack poo poo like Amie does. Even if it's paused and I tell him to attack something and switch to another character before unpausing he won't attack. I have to keep him selected and only switch once he's started running for him to keep doing what I told him.

It's really weird and pretty annoying.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

k stone posted:

I've had this happen to me before, and you can't progress past Shondra's house. You need a save from before Fort Locke. Maybe also try doing a

partyadd elanee

from the console, when you're not in a dialog cutscene?

You're actually still pretty far from where my save in the OP starts. If this or the thing Keeshhound suggested didn't work, let us know and we can try and get you a save closer to where you're at. The only problem will still be playing a different class/gender maybe. (All I have is a female with a rogue base class, currently rogue/bard.)

If Keeshhound's suggestion did work, let me know so I can add it to the bug fixes section of the OP. Thanks! :D

Mustang posted:

Anyone know why Bevil might night be using it's AI to fight? I have Annakies mod compilation and the visual compilation as my only mods. I checked his behavior tab and it looks like he should be ready to attack poo poo like Amie does. Even if it's paused and I tell him to attack something and switch to another character before unpausing he won't attack. I have to keep him selected and only switch once he's started running for him to keep doing what I told him.

Try doing the AI reset trick --

quote:

* If your party members are misbehaving and won't follow you, first try holding down right click, then click "Issue Command" and "Follow me", then go back to that menu and select "Attack Nearest".
If that doesn't work, turn off the AI (It's the second button next to the drop-down menu. Pic.) Then repeat above with turning on follow and then attack nearest, then turn AI back on.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

While people are offering saves, I stopped playing NWN2 a while back after a hard drive failure cost me my progress. I had just finished the trial and was about to start the keep stuff, I believe. Does anyone have a rather complete save around this point? I'm assuming I can adjust the player character with console commands to get him back to what I had, and the same for the NPCs, I just really didn't want to have to go through all that over again.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Klungar posted:

While people are offering saves, I stopped playing NWN2 a while back after a hard drive failure cost me my progress. I had just finished the trial and was about to start the keep stuff, I believe. Does anyone have a rather complete save around this point? I'm assuming I can adjust the player character with console commands to get him back to what I had, and the same for the NPCs, I just really didn't want to have to go through all that over again.

You can to some extent - changing level 1 can make things go sideways though.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Yeah, basically you can take them down to level 1, you can change their stats and their feats that were picked up at level 1 with console commands as well. You can't really change what skills they put in at level 1 but you can just bump the characters INT up a few points when you re-level them and grab extra skill points to put into whatever you want.

You can't change their gender or the class they made the character. You can change cosmetic things like the face/hair/voice if you use a save editor.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Gotcha. Well, anyone have a Human who took Level 1 Bard at that point, then? Male would be preferable, but not a deal breaker.

k stone
Aug 30, 2009
Thanks for your help, all. Sadly, it didn't work, I think because the "ambushed by bladelings" scene triggered for me, but the scene with Elanee never did. So some variable just never got correctly conjiggered. Using the debug console to go back to the ambushed by bladelings scene just gives me an empty woods with what I now know was supposed to be Elanee's animal companion sitting in the middle of it. And the debug console simply ignores me when I try to add her into the party even though I can dismiss and conjure up Neeshka and Khelgar at will. So I guess the only fix is knowing that that scene was supposed to result in recruiting someone and not saving past it. Sigh.

Does anyone have enough experience with this glitch to know whether this might work for me, though:

Propaganda Hour posted:

There's also kind of a catch-all at the Act II break where everyone that you're supposed to have in your party will just pop into existence in the bar. I've had a few runs where Elanee's first encounter just never triggers because it's an obsidian game
?

It's probably not a good idea for me to keep playing this save game since all sorts of stuff seems to be messed up, but I actually was allowed to proceed past Shandra's house and make it into Neverwinter before I realized what was going on. I guess I haven't made a huge amount of progress anyway; I have a save back before I left the village at the start. I just didn't want to do some of lame dungeon crawls again.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

k stone posted:

I just didn't want to do some of lame dungeon crawls again.

It's not a perfect solution, but

quote:

~
DebugMode 1
dm_god
~

Will activate god mode (shocking, I know) letting you just plow through without having to think about the fights. It'll end once you deactivate Debug Mode

quote:

~
DebugMode 0
~

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Mustang posted:

If you have the AI tweak and Kaedrin's PRC pack, turn off NPC automatic weapon switching. Kaedrin's was updated last year while the AI tweak wasn't, and it broke that setting. Once it's off, their AI will work correctly again.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Roobanguy posted:

If you have the AI tweak and Kaedrin's PRC pack, turn off NPC automatic weapon switching. Kaedrin's was updated last year while the AI tweak wasn't, and it broke that setting. Once it's off, their AI will work correctly again.

Thank's this worked perfectly. Forgot I had installed Kaedrin's pack as well.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I'm nearing the end of SoU (skipped main campaign) and I'm liking it. But, even with the Gog version, the unofficial patch and some graphical stuff turned off (like environmental mapping), I still get CTDs at least once in every play session. Any idea what is causing this? I once got a popup saying my graphics driver had crashed, so I'm assuming it something tied to that and not sound. I can also hear, but not see, the cutscenes introducing every chapter, though that's not quite as annoying.

Also, I'm playing as a monk, which I've never done before, and I'm wondering how I should level him when I eventually go on to HotU? People on other forums often suggest dual classing as a fighter before lvl 20, to get weapon focus (specialization?) in kamas and dual-wielding. But I've also read that dual-wielding kamas leads to an OP monk with insane number of attacks at the higher levels. I'd still like some challenge and I like the idea of fighting unarmed, but is that even doable in HotU? Any other fun ways to dual class a monk? How about monk/rogue/shadow dancer?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I'm nearing the end of SoU (skipped main campaign) and I'm liking it. But, even with the Gog version, the unofficial patch and some graphical stuff turned off (like environmental mapping), I still get CTDs at least once in every play session. Any idea what is causing this? I once got a popup saying my graphics driver had crashed, so I'm assuming it something tied to that and not sound. I can also hear, but not see, the cutscenes introducing every chapter, though that's not quite as annoying.

Also, I'm playing as a monk, which I've never done before, and I'm wondering how I should level him when I eventually go on to HotU? People on other forums often suggest dual classing as a fighter before lvl 20, to get weapon focus (specialization?) in kamas and dual-wielding. But I've also read that dual-wielding kamas leads to an OP monk with insane number of attacks at the higher levels. I'd still like some challenge and I like the idea of fighting unarmed, but is that even doable in HotU? Any other fun ways to dual class a monk? How about monk/rogue/shadow dancer?
I'm not 100% sure, but I think levels 20+ worked differently in NWN1. One of the main differences being that attack bonuses stopped growing, so a dual kama monk wouldn't get the absurd number of attacks per round that they'd get in NWN2. There might be a couple of feats that you need to pull it off that weren't in NWN1, too.

The build could still work, I'm sure, because HOTU lets you enchant gear to a ludicrous degree. You thought NWN2's +5 & 3x elemental damage weapons were nuts? I'm pretty sure HOTU lets you enchant up to loving +12.

Of course it's been years since I've looked at NWN1, so I could just be remembering wrong.

Also, monk/rogue/shadowdancer synergises perfectly well. At least to the point where you get hide in plain sight. I don't remember if NWN1 has the feat to let you sneak attack things that are otherwise immune for half damage, but that' d be worth looking into. Then again, I don't remember sneak/critical immune stuff being as wide-spread in NWN1's campaigns, anyway.

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 30, 2014

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Try running it in compatibility mode (XP SP 2 or 3), run as an admin, make sure that CPU affinity is set to 1. Disable grass, since some tiles have fubared grass. Disable shiny water. I also recall there being something that got hosed with ATI cards that required you to replace a DLL, but I'm pretty sure that if you were having that problem it'd crash on startup.

Regarding the monk, going dual kama is only marginally more grossly OP than any dual wielder with maximally pimped weapons in HoTU. If you really want absurdly broken you can take Monk 6 and dump the rest into Cleric for I think 11 attacks dual wielding with Divine Power and Haste.

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
I feel like NWN2 would be a pretty cool game except for two things: (1) it runs like poo poo on my computer which can run SC2 on like max settings with no FPS problems, and (2) party AI is incredibly bad and frustrating. Just herding my party around the map is super hard and on the rare occasion that my party decides to actually follow me instead of just standing around staring at the floor they'll inevitably sit out of melee range and passively watch each other get murdered. I guess i cant blame Elanee's loving badger for not wanting to scrap with a bunch of knights or whatever but its a little frustrating that I can't even tell it what to do. Good thing the OC is tuned to be retardedly easy, I guess they balanced everything with the expectation that characters in your party would only be able to use 70% of their ostensible abilities because the rest would be FUBAR.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Lawdog69 posted:

party AI is incredibly bad and frustrating. Just herding my party around the map is super hard and on the rare occasion that my party decides to actually follow me instead of just standing around staring at the floor they'll inevitably sit out of melee range and passively watch each other get murdered.
Check the Behaviour tab on the NPC's character panel. If you have puppet mode on your party's characters turned on, they won't do anything on their own.
Also for quick AI commands you can press V to open the quick chat menu. The AI will respond to commands labelled with an asterix. General useful ones are the "Attack", "Follow me" & "Hold Position" commands. These commands can be dragged to the quickbar for easy access.

As for your performance issues: Try tweaking your graphical options: Dial shadow quality down to medium, turn of reflections, etc.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Feb 8, 2014

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ever tried to run Storm of Zehir with a six character party with two animal companions, two familiars and six summoned creatures? It's not pretty.

Apparently you keep the monk wis bonus to ac as a druid when shapeshifted. Does that also work in pnp?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to turn on KOTOR style controls?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Raygereio posted:

As for your performance issues: Try tweaking your graphical options: Dial shadow quality down to medium, turn of reflections, etc.

Just turn Shadows off. They don't add too much to the graphical quality, and they're terribly optimized and the number one source of problems.

Which is, oddly, kind of fitting if you think about it.

Eifert Posting posted:

Is there a way to turn on KOTOR style controls?

Not sure what you mean by this... in NWN2, you can already use WASD, tab target, and hotkey a variety of basic abilities for a vaguely 'MMO-ish' control scheme which does actually work pretty well for combat. (Not so much for exploration/conversation/looting/shopping.)

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm referring to holding both mouse buttons to move. Always liked that system. I wonder if there's a mod that lets you level NPCs from 1 in the OC? Some of them are terribly optimized (looking at you Khelgar, dwarven waraxe huh? I wonder how many people screwed themselves out of his endgame weapon that way?)

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Eifert Posting posted:

I wonder if there's a mod that lets you level NPCs from 1 in the OC?

I don't know about mods, but you can use console commands to do this.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Poil posted:

Apparently you keep the monk wis bonus to ac as a druid when shapeshifted. Does that also work in pnp?

It does, but it's not really worth giving up a caster level for, especially if you accept the view that the Monk's Belt grants Wis mod to AC as well as the paltry scaling bonus.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Here's a bunch of NWN2 Module Award Winners listed.

Other Forum posted:

The AME is pleased to announce the results of our Mid-Summer 2012 Quarterly review for Neverwinter Nights 2. Congratulations to all finalists and award winners!

# The following new Golden Dragon Awards have been awarded:

NWN2 2009 Best Storytelling Module

Finalists:
    - Serene, by Tsongo, is one of the longest NWN2 modules out there, and a pure storytelling one. Its main focus lies in providing a good story with plot twists and many characters with well developed personalities.
    - Sands of Solvheil III: Crusaders of Shalihir – This author’s work springs from his embrace of adventuring as “aggressive archaeology”. There’s often a sense in games that “story” is the thing that happens with all the words. What makes this module stand out is the way the story is embedded in the places you visit, often more so than in conversations you have or books you read - to make a story not just something the player reads, but something she can walk around and look at.
    - Dark Waters 3 presents a complex story set in a custom world with an extensive history, and a quest to save the world by solving an ancient mystery from another time. It has many many unique and innovative gameplay elements, but at its core is an ambitious tale that helped to set a new storytelling standard for NWN2 modding.

Award Winner:
    Sands of Solvheil III: Crusaders of Shalihir by Raith Veldrin.

# The following Golden Dragon Awards have now entered the finals:

NWN2 2009 Debut Author

- PJ156 (for Sheep and Stone) – Sheep and Stone is the first chapter in the tightly plotted and intriguing Tales of the Lake of Sorrows. The main action takes place in a tiny village, where the author has put in a great amount of effort into making the community feel genuinely alive. Where commoners are usually not more than extras in the grand scheme of things, here they have a life of their own, and make realistic interactions with the player.
    - Tsongo (for Serene) – A first work, yet hugely ambitious in scope, Serene embarks the player on an epic quest for revenge. It has a strong emphasis on storytelling, but is also supported by compelling gameplay.
    - J.E. McKellar (for The Last of the Dana'an) – Despite being a debut offering, the Last of the Dana'an brings much innovation to NWN2 gameplay. As a module done with the Ranger class in mind, there will be opportunities for tactical combat, special uses of terrain, bartering, and other original elements. And yet, it also sets great value in providing a sound story, and a well-rendered atmosphere.

# The following Golden Dragon Awards are still in finals and have not yet been awarded:

NWN2 Veteran Author Award of 2009

- Azenn – Azenn won the AME’s Debut Author Award in 2009 for Asphyxia. He’s now earned a Veteran Author nomination as well for his 2009 module, Live Forever — a story based module with thought-provoking ideas and entertaining characters.
    - John McA – John McA released the module Hyborean Hack in 2009. A prolific “crossover” author from NWN1, his Conan Chronicles modules were notable for their excellent storytelling and sense of drama.
    - Markus “Wayne” Schlegel – A prolific author of both NWN1 and NWN2 modules, Markus released the NWN2 module Lolthanchwi in 2009. He has also been recognized for his excellent NWN2 work in the past with the 2007 GDA for Most Replayable module for Pool of Radiance Remastered.

NWN2 2009-2010 Best Roleplaying Module Award

- Dark Waters 3 – The conclusion to Adam Miller’s epic NWN2 saga, Dark Waters 3 has many unique and innovative gameplay elements, including strong roleplay options.
    - Trinity – Trinity has a strong “old-school” feel reminiscent of a P&P game. Besides being overall well developed, it features different quest paths and custom abilities such as jumping and climbing.
    - The Maimed God Saga – A module for Clerics of Tyr, it offers a well fleshed out story, but also great attention to roleplay as it makes the player feel like a true Cleric - not just a buffed warrior. Besides praying in altars and the use of spells in conversations and quests, there are also many skill checks and important moral decisions to be made.

# The following Golden Dragon Awards are still open and have not yet entered the finals:

- NWN2 2010-2011 Best Storytelling Module Award
    - NWN2 2010-2011 Veteran Author Award
    - NWN2 2009 Best Action Module
    - NWN2 2008-2011 Best Conversion or Remake Module Award
    - NWN2 2008-2011 Best Multi-Player Module Award
    - NWN2 2010-2011 Debut Author Award
    - NWN2 2010-2011 Best Action Module
    - NWN2 2011 Best Roleplay Module
    - NWN2 2009-2011 Best Custom Content Award
    - NWN2 2009-2011 Community Contribution Award
    - Joint NWN1 & NWN2 2010-2011 Best Sound/Music Award

# Awards and finalists from previous cycles can be found here:

http://www.ame-gda.net/Home/?page_id=90

The Academy for Modding Excellence is actively recruiting for new members to help us in our mission to give recognition to the content creators who keep this great community alive. So if you are an avid NWN2 player, modder or reviewer, and think you might be interested in helping with the AME's mission, answer to our Call for Volunteers!

quote:

The AME is pleased to announce the results of our Fall 2012 Quarterly review for Neverwinter Nights 2. Congratulations to all finalists!

# The following Golden Dragon Awards have now entered the finals:

NWN2 2009-2011 Most Replayable Module Award

• Edinmoor (by Dorateen): As all of Dorateen's modules, Edinmoor features SoZ's party creation and conversation systems. The author put an effort into providing specific conversation lines for a variety of classes, races and alignments, as well as different quest paths.[/*]

• Lowena (by Jezla9): Lowena is a short module that features a surprisingly amount of story paths and endings in roughly half an hour. Its short duration makes exploring the different options much easier than in other, longer modules.[/*]

• Dark Waters 3 (by Adam Miller): Following the trail led by its predecessor, Dark Waters 3 is a sandbox module with lots of exploration. Aside from a strong plot with multiple endings, it features naval battles with two factions to choose from, and a remarkable number of minigames, such as "Lute Hero" or "Pirate Cards", which you may find yourself liking as much as the main story.[/*]

quote:

The Academy for Modding Excellence is pleased to announce the finalists for the NWN2 2010-2011 Debut Author Award!

Kamal (for Path of Evil)

“Villains have to start somewhere.” This is the motto of Path of Evil, where you play the unusual role of the villain of the story, from the humble begginings to the rise in power, until you become a serious menace to the realms.

Path of Evil is a huge sandbox module where you can do evil deeds while you explore the whole map of Faerun. Unlike in many other modules, you are the one who creates the story, always a step forward of the heroes who are trying to stop you. It also allows the player to be evil in an intelligent and manipulative way, rather than the usual psychopatic, mass-murderous one.

Matt Rieder (for The Wizard’s Apprentice)

As its name implies, the first installment in Matt Rieder’s acclaimed trilogy narrates - often in a Python-esque style - the story of a young wizard student and his/her early adventure days. Class-specific as it is, the module features a good deal of wizard-related content, as well as challenging combat and an increasingly complicated plot.

Shaughn78 (for Risen Hero)

Risen Hero is a story-driven module that carries the protagonist on a journey of self-discovery, from a mysterious beginning to an epic ending against a world-shattering threat. All along the way, the player has the opportunity to recruit an unusually high number of companions, as well as completing quests through stealth, smooth talking, or in many other different ways, making this one of the most replayable modules of its year.

Congratulations to all the finalists!

As always, the Academy for Modding Excellence is actively recruiting for new members. If you are an avid NWN2 player, modder or reviewer, and think you might be interested in helping with the AME's mission to give recognition to the content creators who keep this great community alive, then please feel free to contact Andarian (andarian at ame-gda dot net) or any other member about joining or learning more about the AME panel.

quote:

The Academy for Modding Excellence is pleased to announce the winner of the NWN2 2009-2011 Most Replayable Module Award!

Dark Waters by Adam Miller

Dark Waters is a series of three modules set in a customised world made up of a series of islands. The full version released in 2009 includes the third and final chapter of the saga and integrates it with the first two.

Littered with inventive scripting, custom content, interesting side quests and mini games there is plenty to keep the player coming back to this campaign, indeed the side diversions can, at times, keep the player from progressing the modules main story line. The story starts out very linear in construction but soon opens out allowing the player to engage in a more sand box style play. This is particularly the case with the bucaneering system allowing the PC to sail the seas in search of treasure and adventure.

The combination of a strong story, interesting npc’s and an ample serving of in game diversions in the form of mini games, makes this a worthy winner of the award for the most replayable module 2009 - 2011.

Congratulations to Adam for winning the award!

Black Numenorean
Nov 23, 2008
Those who are interested in taking part in NWN's multiplayer for the first time or are interested in trying a PW out should probably look into the Easter New Character Event that's going on in Prisoners of the Mist. All information about the event and everything that you might need to get started can be found here. The music override, by the way, is a must if you don't got your own music blasting in the background and is highly recommended by yours truly.

PotM isn't for everyone, but you might be able to determine if it's a good fit for you during the NCE!

GlowingFauxPas
Jul 24, 2002

TraditiOWNED
NWN2 question.

I want to change dragon disciple (I'm using Kaedrin's) to add partial progression in the arcane spell casting class, akin to the bonus slots that they get in pnp. Let's say at levels 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9. Without progression the class seems pretty terrible. Is there an easy way to do this, perhaps by editing some 2da?

GlowingFauxPas fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 11, 2014

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Black Numenorean posted:

Those who are interested in taking part in NWN's multiplayer for the first time or are interested in trying a PW out should probably look into the Easter New Character Event that's going on in Prisoners of the Mist. All information about the event and everything that you might need to get started can be found here. The music override, by the way, is a must if you don't got your own music blasting in the background and is highly recommended by yours truly.

PotM isn't for everyone, but you might be able to determine if it's a good fit for you during the NCE!

I was all reared up to jump into this, then I saw it was NWN1, which I don't have installed. Care to elaborate more on why it wouldn't be for everyone? I'd like to have a better idea of what it's like before I go through the hassle of finding my old CDs and installing this poo poo, and their forum is mostly total garbage and horribly organized.

Also anyone have any good suggestions on a good Rogue-y melee build for NWN1? Been so long since I played it, I forgot all the ins and outs. Is the server relatively high magic, gear wise?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

GlowingFauxPas posted:

NWN2 question.
I want to change dragon disciple (I'm using Kaedrin's) to add partial progression in the arcane spell casting class, akin to the bonus slots that they get in pnp. Let's say at levels 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 9. Without progression the class seems pretty terrible. Is there an easy way to do this, perhaps by editing some 2da?
Adding spellcasting progression isn't a complicated edit. For editting 2da files you can use Notepad. This tool is also useful (especially the compress function when the 2da file becomes ridiculously large). I find this tool decent for editting dialog.tlk.

- Create new feats in feat.2da for the Dragon Disciple's spellcasting progression. One for each base class with spellcasting you want the Dragon Disciple to level in. Take a look at the spellcasting progression feats for the Eldritch Knight (row 1820-1822) or other prestige classes for how these new entries should look.
- Grab cls_bfeat_dradis.2da and change the 0 on the first row to 1.
- Grab cls_feat_dradis.2da and add the spellcasting feats you created so that you can select one of them as a bonus feat.

cls_feat_*.2da format:
FeatLabel - Use the same Label you used for the spellcasting progression feat in feat.2da
FeatIndex - RowID of the spellcasting progression feat you created in feat.2da
List - 2 (2 = selectable as bonus feat)
GrantedOnLevel - 1
OnMenu - 0

- Create a new cls_featmap_dradis.2da file (Just copy cls_featmap_eknight.2da and rename it). Under the column SpellcasterFeat enter the rowid of your spellcasting progression feats in feat.2da in the rows for the apropriate classes. For all other rows enter "-1".
- Create a new cls_bsplvl_dradis.2da file (Again just copy cls_bsplvl_eknight.2da and rename it). Under "GrantsBonusSpellcasterLevel" enter a 1 for each level you want the Dragon Disciple to gain a spellcasting level.

- Grab CLASSES.2da. In the entry for the Dragon Disciple (rowid 37) under the column "BonusSpellcasterLevelTable" enter "cls_bsplvl_dradis" and under "BonusCasterFeatByClassMap" enter "cls_featmap_dradis".

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Apr 13, 2014

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012

Fuzz posted:

I was all reared up to jump into this, then I saw it was NWN1, which I don't have installed. Care to elaborate more on why it wouldn't be for everyone? I'd like to have a better idea of what it's like before I go through the hassle of finding my old CDs and installing this poo poo, and their forum is mostly total garbage and horribly organized.

Also anyone have any good suggestions on a good Rogue-y melee build for NWN1? Been so long since I played it, I forgot all the ins and outs. Is the server relatively high magic, gear wise?

I haven't played there in ages, but as I recall it's "not for everyone" in that it's a fairly strict RP server with a bunch of rules about what is/isn't considered good RP. XP gain is slow as hell, grinding is discouraged. Setting is Ravenloft, which carries a fair amount of baggage. Low-medium magic, and what's there is hideously expensive and rare. When I gave it a whirl, I got repeatedly gibbed by HiPSing gerbils in low level areas, and got lectured on setting minutia by what turned out to be a 17th level barmaid. Also they were using HCR last I checked, so expect to spend time hunting deer early on to prevent dying mid-rest.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

SodomyGoat101 posted:

I haven't played there in ages, but as I recall it's "not for everyone" in that it's a fairly strict RP server with a bunch of rules about what is/isn't considered good RP. XP gain is slow as hell, grinding is discouraged. Setting is Ravenloft, which carries a fair amount of baggage. Low-medium magic, and what's there is hideously expensive and rare. When I gave it a whirl, I got repeatedly gibbed by HiPSing gerbils in low level areas, and got lectured on setting minutia by what turned out to be a 17th level barmaid. Also they were using HCR last I checked, so expect to spend time hunting deer early on to prevent dying mid-rest.

Ooookay, gently caress that then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Be warned that Dark Waters is kind of buggy, and has a very slow start. Mind you, I haven't actually finished it :blush:

• Locked thread