Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

Castomira posted:

Oh, I get it. When the announcers say "longest time between reigns," they're talking about the tag titles only. Makes more sense now.

No, you're right. Moolah was 13 years and the Outlaws 14. Backlund was only 11 years but seemed much longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Ghostpilot posted:

Tuesday in Texas wasn't a bad PPV per se

I recently rewatched the PPV for the first time in like 20 years and it's a really bad PPV.

Pretty much everyone on the roster treated it like a drat house show (I'm guessing they didn't expect their payoffs to be too high).
Half the card was cut off the telecast, including Piper-Flair.
Bret-Skinner had no business going 15 minutes, especially with Bret's phoned-in performance.

Macho/Jake was the hottest loving angle in professional wrestling, and they went out and killed most of their heat by having Savage squash Jake and then pin him clearly in less than 5 minutes (you can clearly hear the crowd boo after the match).

Hogan/UT was an overbooked crock of poo poo with an afterthought of an ending, where Hogan won his 4th WWF Title with a SCHOOLBOY ROLL-UP, and then treated winning the title with all the enthusiasm of getting an after-dinner mint (not to mention killing a lot of the mystique of Taker and burying his title win).

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Endorph posted:

Oh wait, WWE/ECW/WCW. Uh, those british exclusive pay-per-views WWE did in the late 90s?

Capital Carnage. An absolutely awful PPV saved only by Vinny Jones shouting "IT'S GONNA BE EMOTIONAAAAL"

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

VogeGandire posted:

Capital Carnage. An absolutely awful PPV saved only by Vinny Jones shouting "IT'S GONNA BE EMOTIONAAAAL"

Also Undertaker telling Paul bearer he really likes the PPV name.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

magnum_valentino posted:

Also, isn't that the PPV where 'Taker's gear got lost so he wrestles in a t-shirt and sweats?

(e): Whoops, no, that was Mayhem in Manchester, which is another awful PPV.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Flameingblack posted:

Tamina has a job because of who her father is

I wonder if she'll be quietly future-endeavored if Superfly goes to prison soon. WWE tends to distance itself from murderers.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

VogeGandire posted:

Also, isn't that the PPV where 'Taker's gear got lost so he wrestles in a t-shirt and sweats?

(e): Whoops, no, that was Mayhem in Manchester, which is another awful PPV.

Which also has the distinction of being the only WWF PPV (from that era at least) not released on DVD. I've never seen it, as a result.

edit: That's also the PPV with the on-screen "Triple HHH" graphic.

Reminds me of Austin coming to the ring at WM15 in a t-shirt because he left his vest at home because his divorce had him all flustered.

For content, do any wrestlers play drums?

magnum_valentino fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jan 30, 2014

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

magnum_valentino posted:

OX BAKER PLAYS THE DRUMS ON YER SKULL

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

LvK posted:

OX BAKER PLAYS THE DRUMS ON YER HEART

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

magnum_valentino posted:

Heath Slater presumably would have when he was a one man band.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

sticklefifer posted:

I wonder if she'll be quietly future-endeavored if Superfly goes to prison soon. WWE tends to distance itself from murderers.

She's related to the Rock and he takes pictures with her on Twitter. I'm surprised she's not Divas champion.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

magnum_valentino posted:

They did a video for Youtube visiting Kofi Kingston's man cave full of toys and replica swords and I believe he had a drum kit in there and played a bit.

EDIT - Yep, at 2:30 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr3gCerkptY

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Angle played drums in college at least.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Bearnt! posted:

No, you're right. Moolah was 13 years and the Outlaws 14. Backlund was only 11 years but seemed much longer.

Backlund came back to a very different company, though.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Red posted:

Backlund came back to a very different company, though.

Yeah, there had been a ton of changes in terms of the product betweeen Backlund's two reigns. There was significant audience turnover between Backlund's two reigns, pretty much 100% roster turnover, the presentation (weekly TV, PPV, etc) had changed. With Backlund he held the belt in two different eras.

The product hasn't changed as much from 2000-now as it did between Backlund's reigns. It also doesn't help that a lot of the major players from the NAO's last era are still around in prominent roles today.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

oldpainless posted:

Angle played drums in college at least.

Man, he would have been the best drummer, too.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

Perry Normal posted:

They did a video for Youtube visiting Kofi Kingston's man cave full of toys and replica swords and I believe he had a drum kit in there and played a bit.

EDIT - Yep, at 2:30 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr3gCerkptY

Kofi seems like such a nice guy that I don't wanna say anything mean...

but dawwwwwwwww!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Endorph posted:

As someone who just watched it: Nothing on the show was ungodly, but basically the show opens with a decent Hardyz/MNM match that goes about ten minutes too long, and then what follows is a string of god-awful matches.

Not the worst matches ever, mind, but extremely bad ones. And it never ends. A lot of lovely PPVs go bad match, good match, bad match, bad match, good match. December to Dismember just goes bad match, bad match, bad match, bad match. The sewage runoff of the 2006 WWE roster marching out there for 5-15 minutes to buy time.

And then the elimination chamber match happens. The crowd's huge on Punk and Rob Van Dam, but especially Punk.

Punk goes out first. Then Hardcore Holly. Then Rob Van Dam.

Then the crowd starts chanting TNA as Bobby Lashley, Big Show, and Test battle in the worst three-way you've ever seen.

To add insult to injury, the show was marketed as running three hours and lasted two and a half.

EDIT: Also if you want a bad pay-per-view, watch Heroes of Wrestling.

Oh wait, WWE/ECW/WCW. Uh, those british exclusive pay-per-views WWE did in the late 90s?

To add to this, they were supposed to have Sabu in the Chamber, but he got laid out backstage and replaced by Hardcore Holly. This was Sabu's fault, as he straight up didn't give a poo poo at this point, but replacing Sabu with Holly didn't win over any ECW fans.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This is the show that got Heyman kicked off the booking team permanently. There is also a fifty-year long Matt Striker match where the main draw is Matt's face printed on his trunks. It was pretty clear that other than the end of the show, there was absolutely no plan for anything going into the show.

I *think* the Sabu thing had to do with something backstage, either the marijuana bust or Sabu did something like forget his gear or whatever.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

magnum_valentino posted:

Wasnt it like the time that Jacqueline lost her top during the match making only 1 of 2 ever intentional booby bearings?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Regarding this and the Mayhem in Manchester thing, how the hell do they not have extra pairs of spandex undies for PPV shows grossing millions of dollars? Next thing you know, the Jiu-Jitsu Jackoffs will rip off the WWE for a cool million by saying they forgot to tape their wrists and they'll be right back.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I only remember that because good god, Jacqueline had the sort of boobs where I have no idea how she could walk without her back snapping.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Was the ladder match at Armageddon (featuring exploding Joey Mercury face) the unannounced one or was it the MNM vs Hardys?

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I think it was announced the day of the show, they criminally under booked/promoted that show from memory

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Gavok posted:

To add to this, they were supposed to have Sabu in the Chamber, but he got laid out backstage and replaced by Hardcore Holly. This was Sabu's fault, as he straight up didn't give a poo poo at this point, but replacing Sabu with Holly didn't win over any ECW fans.

Especially since they had Tommy Dreamer and The Sandman on the WWECW roster at the time, but if they had to sub Sabu they went with Hardcore Holly because who knows.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

This is the show that got Heyman kicked off the booking team permanently. There is also a fifty-year long Matt Striker match where the main draw is Matt's face printed on his trunks. It was pretty clear that other than the end of the show, there was absolutely no plan for anything going into the show.

I *think* the Sabu thing had to do with something backstage, either the marijuana bust or Sabu did something like forget his gear or whatever.

Heyman actually quit because the show was such a disaster and he couldn't work like this. He told Vince himself that the fans were going to throw this show back in their faces. Though he was already on thin-ice with Steph and Creative (because of his pathological lying which is so well-documented).

Sabu's weed bust happened that summer (something like a week and a half after ONS 2006 which also lead to RVD jobbing the title). I can't recall what Sabu's punishment was or even if there was a punishment but December to Dismember 2006 was like six months later so I doubt he was taken out because of it. I think it was just a last-minute booking decision by Creative because that show had such slapdash booking everyone knew it was going to bomb.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I'm not sure if I'm even allowed to say this and I'll eat the probation if it is against the rules, but the entire OTE99 PPV is on youtube and it's incredibly sad to watch.

Like somebody else said; there's no matches worth while, and the WWE didn't air Owen falling or anything like that, so you're not going to get a better idea of how it happened or anything like that so it's probably not worth your time.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Oh yeah, there are ways to watch Over the Edge 1999 via :filez: if anyone here is so inclined. It's not a good show at all, the only thing of note is one of Undertaker's title wins happened at the show otherwise it's your typical mid-1999 overbooked Russo-fest.

It will not be added to the Network not so much because of the infamy around it but rather they don't want to piss off the Hart family by releasing it publicly. I'm not just talking about Martha Hart (who still hasn't forgiven Vince) getting mad, Bret could flip a poo poo and we'd be back to 16 years ago. Raw is Owen could be added, it is a pretty sincere tribute, but we'll see when WWE streams all past RAW/SmackDown episodes like I really hope.

Raw is Eddie will be added, Raw is Benoit will never see the light of loving day again because it's a tribute to a murderer before the facts were made clear.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raw is Owen probably will be added, since I think Bret went from thinking it was exploitative and damage control to seeing it s a nice tribute.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Justin Godscock posted:

Raw is Eddie will be added, Raw is Benoit will never see the light of loving day again because it's a tribute to a murderer before the facts were made clear.

Also unlike Raw is Owen and Raw is Eddie, the Benoit tribute was entirely his DVD and some testimonials so there'd be no point anyway. Leaving it a blackout date is fitting. I'm more curious about ECW the following day, since it started with the Vince message.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

they'll probably just omit the Vince message.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

Manwithastick posted:

Wasnt it like the time that Jacqueline lost her top during the match making only 1 of 2 ever intentional booby bearings?

If you're thinking of this and Kat at Armageddon you forgot about May Young the following month at Royal Rumble 2000.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

magnum_valentino posted:

If you're thinking of this and Kat at Armageddon you forgot about May Young the following month at Royal Rumble 2000.
I think we all want to forget that.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
I though mae's were prosthetic?

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.

magnum_valentino posted:

gently caress you I'd forgotten about that. I mean seriously, I think that I should send you my therapy bills.

Here's a question, after watching OSW Review with the Jake Roberts/Randy Savage angle where the cobra bites Randy (eventually), were there any complaints about it? It does seem to be something that shouldn't be on a kids wrestling show and I'm wondering if there was any fallout then or did parents groups only unleash their ire during the attitude era when a lot of it was just trash tv?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Justin Godscock posted:

Especially since they had Tommy Dreamer and The Sandman on the WWECW roster at the time, but if they had to sub Sabu they went with Hardcore Holly because who knows.

I think I remember reading that they wanted another heel for Lashley to go through. The initial line up was heavily face (Lashley, RVD, Punk, Sabu vs. Test and Big Show).

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Poison Jam posted:

gently caress you I'd forgotten about that. I mean seriously, I think that I should send you my therapy bills.

Here's a question, after watching OSW Review with the Jake Roberts/Randy Savage angle where the cobra bites Randy (eventually), were there any complaints about it? It does seem to be something that shouldn't be on a kids wrestling show and I'm wondering if there was any fallout then or did parents groups only unleash their ire during the attitude era when a lot of it was just trash tv?

I seem to remember the WWF not having as much of a hard time with parents groups in the 80s/90s as others. The Hulkster was a very parent-friendly role model for them to trot out, and those activist groups seemed much more interested in going after certain types of music, video games, and role playing games.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I think the most graphic part of the snake bite was censored on most broadcasts. At least it was every time it was aired other than the original Superstars episode (which may have been censored in certain markets anyway). When I saw it, a friend of mine told me that it was "real" and the snake wasn't really supposed to bite Savage because you can hear McMahon on commentary saying "This was not supposed to happen!"

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Cromulent posted:

I think the most graphic part of the snake bite was censored on most broadcasts. At least it was every time it was aired other than the original Superstars episode (which may have been censored in certain markets anyway). When I saw it, a friend of mine told me that it was "real" and the snake wasn't really supposed to bite Savage because you can hear McMahon on commentary saying "This was not supposed to happen!"

They cut away from Earthquake squashing Damien too, and I don't remember any sort of backlash from that stunt.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Regarding this and the Mayhem in Manchester thing, how the hell do they not have extra pairs of spandex undies for PPV shows grossing millions of dollars? Next thing you know, the Jiu-Jitsu Jackoffs will rip off the WWE for a cool million by saying they forgot to tape their wrists and they'll be right back.

Watching Mayhem in Manchester and that PPV might be the most anachronistic PPV ever. It looks really low-budget (even for 1998) and the camera angles are all weird. It really doesn't look like the WWE at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

RoleModel posted:

Watching Mayhem in Manchester and that PPV might be the most anachronistic PPV ever. It looks really low-budget (even for 1998) and the camera angles are all weird. It really doesn't look like the WWE at all.

I seriously never got the point of those UK only shows. I mean, it didn't take long for us to realise nothing would ever happen on the shows, lest the US audience feel cheated, and the matches were rarely that special. Sometimes it even seemed deliberately half-assed, because you'd usually get the 'heel and manager in handicap match' gimmick.

The only advantage to ordinary PPVs I can think of is the ability to have them at a normal time over here and still be live.