Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

If you like In Bruges , give Perrier's Bounty a try. I just watched it a few nights ago. It also stars Brendan Gleeson and I really liked it.

Another film that might fit currently isn't streaming on US Netflix, but Seven Psychopaths has a good mix of crime, humor and violence... and Christopher Walken.

Ah, poo poo, I forgot about Seven Psychopaths. That's the screenwriter of In Bruges follow-up to that film. I've never seen it and I have to remedy that really soon. I'll give Perrier's Bounty a try though, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The Bletchley Circle - During WWII Susan was a codebreaker specializing in pattern recognition, nine years later she is a housewife with two kids that becomes obsessed with a serial killer when she notices a pattern in the killer's behavior. Susan goes to Scotland Yard with her findings but the tip doesn't pan out. Susan has missed something so calls upon three former co-codebreakers to help track down the killer but after her initial fumble the police aren't very interested so the women decide to find the killer themselves. A well written and performed thriller that I highly recommend.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Crow Jane posted:

All of An Idiot Abroad was just added. It's really funny and interesting.

This show is really good. The dumbest British yokel gets a travel show and struggles to enjoy it.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

scary ghost dog posted:

This show is really good. The dumbest British yokel gets a travel show and struggles to enjoy it.

And he has Ricky Gervais laughing at him the entire time. It's great.

Dudes watching the show may want to cover their eyes during a certain part of the India episode, though.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Crow Jane posted:

Thirding this. A must watch for any non-Brits, so they can get a glimpse at the 'Little englander' mentality.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Eat This Glob posted:

That's the screenwriter of In Bruges follow-up to that film.

drat really? Seven Psychopaths is no In Bruges. Not by a long shot.

Submarine is a good flick on Netflix instant. And thought they're not movies, Twilight Zone is amazing and Twin Peaks is the most bizarre/interesting tv show, I'm surprised it aired on a major network. Also, Jack Reacher was pretty good, loving Werner Herzog as a baddie. Nice.

colas has a new favorite as of 04:01 on Jan 20, 2014

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

colas posted:

drat really? Seven Psychopaths is no In Bruges. Not by a long shot.

Submarine is a good flick on Netflix instant.

I really liked In Bruges.

Just based on the cover art, Submarine looks like it wants to be a Wes Anderson movie. What kind of film is it?

colas
Feb 14, 2007

It's a British coming-of-age movie. It's kinda Wes Anderson-y, bright young kid, eccentric intellectual parents, wacky neighbors.

"15-year-old Oliver Tate has two objectives: To lose his virginity before his next birthday, and to extinguish the flame between his mother and an ex-lover who has resurfaced in her life."

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I don't think it's THAT Wes Anderson, other than maybe touching on the same points as Rushmore.

It's a fantastic film though, highly recommend watching it. Paddy Considine is cringe inducingly amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbPeKp142TQ

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Crow Jane posted:

Was excited when I noticed this over the weekend since I saw the first season a while ago. Caught the first few episodes of the second season and I haven't laughed so hard in a long time.

wormil posted:

The Bletchley Circle - During WWII Susan was a codebreaker specializing in pattern recognition, nine years later she is a housewife with two kids that becomes obsessed with a serial killer when she notices a pattern in the killer's behavior. Susan goes to Scotland Yard with her findings but the tip doesn't pan out. Susan has missed something so calls upon three former co-codebreakers to help track down the killer but after her initial fumble the police aren't very interested so the women decide to find the killer themselves. A well written and performed thriller that I highly recommend.

I like period pieces and mysteries and interesting female leads so I enjoyed this a lot and wish it had been expanded into a series.

whatshesaid
May 6, 2007
:spooky:

Crow Jane posted:

Quoting again to say thanks for mentioning this. Been binging it this weekend and loving every second of it.

Spanrah
May 6, 2006
These are small, Those are far away

Saint Sputnik posted:

I like period pieces and mysteries and interesting female leads so I enjoyed this a lot and wish it had been expanded into a series.

There's a second series on here in the UK currently. Still only 3 episodes I believe though.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Holy poo poo, I checked Netflix after ignoring it for a few weeks and I noticed that Horrible Histories got added. Man, I've been waiting for years to be able to watch that show. :woop:
If you have a kid who likes history, it's pretty much the best thing you could have them watch. The books are fantastic too.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Saint Sputnik posted:

It has been, actually. The second series is airing right now, in fact the last episode was released yesterday! It's probably gonna be awhile till it hits Netflix though and I'm guessing you don't live in the UK so you're probably just gonna have to wait, unfortunately.

What are these pies
Jul 22, 2008

Crow Jane posted:

And he has Ricky Gervais laughing at him the entire time. It's great.

Dudes watching the show may want to cover their eyes during a certain part of the India episode, though.

Ha! It's funny you say that- my boyfriend walked in right as the scene in question came on. He yelped and ran right back out of the room!
I was thrilled to see this on instant too, but rewatching it I'm more annoyed than I was the first time seeing it. Karl gets to do all of these awesome things and he doesn't even appreciate it!

.....'ead like a fukkin orange!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Celery Face posted:

Holy poo poo, I checked Netflix after ignoring it for a few weeks and I noticed that Horrible Histories got added. Man, I've been waiting for years to be able to watch that show. :woop:
If you have a kid who likes history, it's pretty much the best thing you could have them watch. The books are fantastic too.

Don't get too excited--it's some sort of awful US re-dub. They found a way to suck the magic right out of the show. Yikes.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Don't get too excited--it's some sort of awful US re-dub. They found a way to suck the magic right out of the show. Yikes.
I knew there was something different about the show from the youtube clips I've seen.:smith: But then again, I've got the Canadian Netflix and they didn't sound American to me.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Finally decided to watch Attack on Titan, pretty nice anime, I'm glad it didn't bore me or abused the usual anime silly faces. What I didn't like is that the lead character can't stop screaming. drat.

Although, right now, I loving can't stop laughing at the titan that,for me, looks like Freddie Mercury. :xd:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Attack on Titan is pretty good for an anime on Netflix. Subbed with original Japanese audio and intact intros and closings. If you survived Bleach, you'll think it's okay, but it suffers from the same problems as any anime based on a currently-running popular shonen manga. Pacing issues and evident production quality problems are two of the most glaring offenders. Still, it's a solid choice--the voice acting, music, and art direction are mostly superb, and the story will have you guessing until (and after) the last episode.

A word of warning, though--this is a pretty dark series, featuring some gruesome images and themes throughout. If you're uncomfortable after viewing the first episode I'd suggest not continuing with the rest, as it can get pretty gross.

Hecuba
Jul 20, 2005

What we do is invent our images. And we build them.
The History of Future Folk is one of the most charming and funny movies I've seen in a long time. The two leads have been an actual bluegrass band for close to a decade and provide an excellent soundtrack. Highly, highly recommended for anyone who likes twangy folk music, retrofuturistic pulp scifi, or unlikely but surprisingly sweet combinations of the two.

PaleBlueDot
Feb 13, 2012

All the way from
Transylvania
Man of Tai Chi was just added. It's Kenau Reeves directorial debut, and it stars, and is loosely based on the life of, stuntman Tiger Chen. The action scenes are pretty good, and the story works well considering it subscribes to that age-old "underground fighting tournament turns deadly"-storyline, albeit with a twist or two. The movie kind of fumbles a bit with the plot in the latter acts, but it's pretty entertaining nonetheless, and it probably has the highest ratio of "holy poo poo, did you see that!?"-moves I've seen since The Raid: Redemption.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Just watched Drew: The Man Behind the Poster and I highly recommend it. It's a documentary about Drew Struzan, the artist who has created so many of the most memorable movie posters of all time.

This is not the icon for the movie, but it shows several examples of his art.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

PaleBlueDot posted:

Man of Tai Chi was just added. It's Kenau Reeves directorial debut, and it stars, and is loosely based on the life of, stuntman Tiger Chen. The action scenes are pretty good, and the story works well considering it subscribes to that age-old "underground fighting tournament turns deadly"-storyline, albeit with a twist or two. The movie kind of fumbles a bit with the plot in the latter acts, but it's pretty entertaining nonetheless, and it probably has the highest ratio of "holy poo poo, did you see that!?"-moves I've seen since The Raid: Redemption.
Oh thanks for the heads up, that seems like it came on streaming pretty fast.

People may make fun of the concept and Keanu Reeves, but I've been very interested to see it. Keanu Reeves doesn't get enough credit and I'm really curious to see what he can do as a director.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
Watched Glow: The Story of the Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling, it was pretty good and slightly depressing.

Also watched the Brony documentary and that was max cringe at all times, 10/10 would recommend.

MacGowans Teeth
Aug 13, 2003

PaleBlueDot posted:

I watched this last night, and I generally agree with you. The fight scenes were awesome, but the plot was mostly pretty standard, and the ending would have been better without Keanu Reeves going through those ridiculously overacted death throes. But goddamn, Chen is a hell of an athlete.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Okay I need a second opinion. Someone who's familair with DC Cab, watch Knight Club and tell me that it's not making fun of Gary Busey. Also Lou Diamond Philips is Mr. T.

I think I've found the meta-Busey :catdrugs:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Endeavour is really good. Watch the movie first, then the 4-part series.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

fork bomb posted:

Just watched Drew: The Man Behind the Poster and I highly recommend it. It's a documentary about Drew Struzan, the artist who has created so many of the most memorable movie posters of all time.

This is not the icon for the movie, but it shows several examples of his art.

I saw this because of your recommendation and really enjoyed it. The only thing that I didn't like was their choice to interview some gross nerds and comic-con at the end. The rest was showing his artistry and all about the majestic feeling of his work... and then you hear a goon talk about her "art-gasm" over it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Been watching season 1 of The Following and it's pretty cool. Fairly standard "FBI agent comes back into the game to catch a serial killer from his past", but the hook here is that the serial killer has developed a cult of killers. It's entertaining and well acted, especially the leads (Kevin bacon's always solid and James Purefoy really has fun chewing the scenery). It can get a little hokey at times and requires a strong suspension of disbelief, but it also has some genuinely intense moments and I'd recommend it

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Opopanax posted:

Been watching season 1 of The Following and it's pretty cool. Fairly standard "FBI agent comes back into the game to catch a serial killer from his past", but the hook here is that the serial killer has developed a cult of killers. It's entertaining and well acted, especially the leads (Kevin bacon's always solid and James Purefoy really has fun chewing the scenery). It can get a little hokey at times and requires a strong suspension of disbelief, but it also has some genuinely intense moments and I'd recommend it

bear in mind this show gets less and less believable by the episode. The good thing is that it embraces being completely unreal and ups the ante every chance it gets.

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
Hannibal just came out on Amazon. I liked the first few episodes that I watched.

For those of you that like Damian Lewis and turn of the century English Masterpiece Classic type of things, you might like The Forsyte Saga.

Wiki posted:

The Forsyte Saga, first published under that name in 1922, is a series of three novels and two interludes published between 1906 and 1921 by Nobel Prize-winning English author John Galsworthy. They chronicle the vicissitudes of the leading members of an upper class British family, similar to Galsworthy's own.[1] Only a few generations removed from their farmer ancestors, the family members are keenly aware of their status as "new money". The main character, Soames Forsyte, sees himself as a "man of property" by virtue of his ability to accumulate material possessions—but this does not succeed in bringing him pleasure.

Damian Lewis plays stuffy stuck up Soames and people get called "bounder". It's great.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
My problem with The Following is that to make the criminals look smart it dumbs down everyone else but I only watched 4 or 5 episodes, maybe it gets better.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I find it helpful to imagine that The Following takes place on the same planet as Mom and Dad Save the World.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

ThatPazuzu posted:

I saw this because of your recommendation and really enjoyed it. The only thing that I didn't like was their choice to interview some gross nerds and comic-con at the end. The rest was showing his artistry and all about the majestic feeling of his work... and then you hear a goon talk about her "art-gasm" over it.

I feel where you're coming from, but I think the point of that segment was to show the artist's surprise at discovering how much enthusiasm/nostalgia his work has created in the general public (fleshing out a wider picture of the artist than just testimony from "industry insiders" was able to provide).

His book is in my amazon cart right now. :3

fork bomb has a new favorite as of 02:56 on Jan 31, 2014

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

wormil posted:

My problem with The Following is that to make the criminals look smart it dumbs down everyone else but I only watched 4 or 5 episodes, maybe it gets better.

This is precisely my problem with Leverage. Well, that and how incredibly racist/sexist it can be.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Edminster posted:

This is precisely my problem with Leverage. Well, that and how incredibly racist/sexist it can be.

It's true of many shows but doesn't always bother me, just depends on the tone. The Following felt like the show-runner couldn't decide whether it was serious or ridiculous and tried both at the same time, it didn't work for me. That and I feel that Kevin Bacon was a poor casting choice, nothing against Bacon.

I really enjoyed most of Leverage season one and the beginning of season two but by midway in the second season every episode was the same and I lost interest. The reasoning behind Sophie's time-out was dumb and didn't help or maybe I don't like the character; can't decide. Had I been watching week to week it wouldn't have been so bad but when you're binging a series, formulas get old quickly. If it improves any after that, someone let me know as I wouldn't mind watching more episodes.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Leverage is pretty good if you want to turn your brain off and see some honest to goodness capers. It's like A Poor Man's Ocean's Eleven: The Series. It's fun television, which requires some idiotic baddies to make work.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Something annoying you notice if you binge Leverage is that half the time their ultimate plan that brings down the mark is something like "Plant cocaine in bad guy's car, call cops saying there's cocaine in bad guy's car" and the majority of the episode ends up being irrelevant.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Yeah Leverage was best-in-genre for me - for having once a week. Multiple in a day just doesn't work with that show. They're all a bit too similar. They did multi-episode arcs better than most, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I won't say that its a good movie, but The Ninth Gate with Johnny Depp and directed by Roman Polanski is potentially interesting.

• Locked thread