Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Guillermus posted:

As a proud S4 owner, I rooted it 10 days after the purchase and in a month installed the GE rom, but since december I've been using CM10.2 stable. The phone is fantastic, I have great battery life and I love how it handles but touchwiz was something I had to avoid. The advice about getting a moto x or N5 is right yet I admit that a removable battery (or being able to get a bigger one) and SD card slot are things to consider.

If you are in the US and get phones via carrier subsidies then you won't be doing that any longer because all of them, with AT&T in the lead, lock new Samsungs down tight. Followed by many other brands - unlocking bootloaders is getting harder than jailbreaking iOS these days, at least for subsidized phones.

If you buy phones for full price then it's not as bad, also in that case your best bet is the X or N5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

wolrah posted:

edit: huh, when the hell did that slip out, I truly wasn't aware of Sprint getting a N5 variant. I thought Google officially swore off CDMA from the GN bullshit.
Just to be clear, it's not a variant, the one from the Google Play has both GSM and CDMA radios included.

There are only two Nexus 5 models, the US one and the EU one. Asia has the EU one I think, can't remember. Anyway, the only difference is a few LTE bands.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
On CM, you can have three different shortcuts when you swipe up from the home button. Is that something GravityBox (or some other Xposed module) can do?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
GravityBox has a thing called Custom Ring Targets which I'm pretty sure is the same thing.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Tunga posted:

GravityBox has a thing called Custom Ring Targets which I'm pretty sure is the same thing.

It is. I have five set up yet I still only ever use it for Google Now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It is. I have five set up yet I still only ever use it for Google Now.
I know what you mean there. On Android I find I so seldom have to enter an app by launching it that shortcuts are useless to me beyond a handful. Almost everything gets launched through a notification or a widget that it makes all these shortcuts (nav ring, lock ring, etc) just redundant and silly.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Ixian posted:

If you are in the US and get phones via carrier subsidies then you won't be doing that any longer because all of them, with AT&T in the lead, lock new Samsungs down tight. Followed by many other brands - unlocking bootloaders is getting harder than jailbreaking iOS these days, at least for subsidized phones.

If you buy phones for full price then it's not as bad, also in that case your best bet is the X or N5.

Spain and yes, I paid full price for my S4 so rooting was a matter of 5 minutes to root and unlock the bootloader. It was in August when I got it, nowadays I'd just go with a N5.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Since the Android Phone thread are being unhelpful assholes, I'll ask here:
For the last two days, I've had a Location Set By GPS notification trapped in my tray. It can't be swiped away, and when I press it just takes me to the settings screen where I can disable location services. Where is it coming from and how do I get rid of it? I'm on a D2USC running CM 10.2.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
GSam Battery Monitor can give you per-app GPS usage times.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

For the last two days, I've had a Location Set By GPS notification trapped in my tray. It can't be swiped away, and when I press it just takes me to the settings screen where I can disable location services. Where is it coming from and how do I get rid of it? I'm on a D2USC running CM 10.2.

Does the problem persist when using the OS version that was meant to run on the phone?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Yes, even then the Android phone thread are assholes.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

The only times I've run into this (which I think was on my d2spr) it would go away by either rebooting or starting Maps then exiting it. It didn't seem like anything was keeping a GPS lock, the notification just wasn't clearing properly.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

datajosh posted:

The only times I've run into this (which I think was on my d2spr) it would go away by either rebooting or starting Maps then exiting it. It didn't seem like anything was keeping a GPS lock, the notification just wasn't clearing properly.

And like magic, it's gone after 3 reboots caused by launcher crashes. Yay Android :)

I swear, the moment my contract is up I'm just buying a Moto X, getting a prepaid sim, and sticking with the stock rom + Xposed/Gravitybox. Custom roms just aren't worth the hassle anymore. I got into the habit because my first phone was an HTC g2 and the stock gingerbread rom blew dicks and they never updated it past that.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
nm, figured it out.

dxt fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 31, 2014

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

And like magic, it's gone after 3 reboots caused by launcher crashes. Yay Android :)

I swear, the moment my contract is up I'm just buying a Moto X, getting a prepaid sim, and sticking with the stock rom + Xposed/Gravitybox. Custom roms just aren't worth the hassle anymore. I got into the habit because my first phone was an HTC g2 and the stock gingerbread rom blew dicks and they never updated it past that.

I haven't even bothered rooting my MAXX. The stock software does everything I could want it to and the battery lasts so long I don't bother loving with radios and disabling things on the fly.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

big mean giraffe posted:

I haven't even bothered rooting my MAXX. The stock software does everything I could want it to and the battery lasts so long I don't bother loving with radios and disabling things on the fly.

Only reason I want to root the Maxx is to get back wireless tethering. Otherwise the phone is picture perfect.

IoT
Dec 21, 2006

This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius
Just bought a Nexus 7 v2 and it's currently rooted with stock ROM and runs Android 4.4.2. I went down the rooting path because I wanted to uninstall crap (though there isn't too much on a N7) but mostly because I wanted to mount a CIFS (Windows 7) drive on the tablet. Turns out CIFS support has been withdrawn. My googlefu has failed to provide a definitive solution and it's starting to look a little scary. Anyone else managed to do this?

(I know this is mostly a phone thread but it seems appropriate to ask here).

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
You can just use something like ES File Explorer to browse to the folder(s).

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also you can completely disable any of the pre-installed apps in Settings -> Apps. No need for root. Removing them doesn't achieve anything.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I've been looking for an app that lets me wirelessly share my N5s wifi connection in much the way that I remember sense did on my old sensation to no avail, everything i seem to dredge up only seems to let me share mobile data?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why wouldn't you just connect the other device to the same Wi-Fi network?

Most devices don't support running a hotspot and connecting to a network at the same time. I'm pretty sure it's a hardware limitation. I'm amazed that the Sensation did it.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch
I used to use my old phone as a signal repeater and for connecting multiple devices to stingy voucher purchase wifi.

Sensation had a switch to select which connection you wanted to share, I've yet to find an app that replicates this and it's a feature I am constantly missing.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Anyone able to suggest a "clean" stable rom or kernel for the i9100 S2? It's my work phone and I've done my best go not root it but with 4.1.2 it's sluggish and driving me insane with how long it takes to just do a search in Chrome. The Telekom bloatware really ticks me off sometimes (it has this hotspot app that automatically turns on wifi and connects, since I'm not paying for that I lose my data connection every time).

I used to go with CM for a fast clean rom with good battery life but the last couple phones I've ran it on even the stable release was glitchy with sudden reboots.

Ashex fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 1, 2014

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Ashex posted:

Anyone able to suggest a "clean" stable rom or kernel for the i9100 S2? It's my work phone and I've done my best go not root it but with 4.1.2 it's sluggish and driving me insane with how long it takes to just do a search in Chrome. The Telekom bloatware really ticks me off sometimes (it has this hotspot app that automatically turns on wifi and connects, since I'm not paying for that I lose my data connection every time).

I used to go with CM for a fast clean rom with good battery life but the last couple phones I've ran it on even the stable release was glitchy with sudden reboots.
Don't use Chrome because it's a memory hog and the S2 doesn't have much to work with

You might want to look into Omnirom here:
http://dl.omnirom.org/i9100/

It's a new AOSP based firmware under development by former CM maintainers.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

nimper posted:

Don't use Chrome because it's a memory hog and the S2 doesn't have much to work with

You might want to look into Omnirom here:
http://dl.omnirom.org/i9100/

It's a new AOSP based firmware under development by former CM maintainers.

I'll switch browsers but I'm getting cranky using it, I want to use my N5 instead but I don't want to cut my sim. Omnirom sounds interesting but it's only nightlies :( I'm happy to tinker with it on my N5 but I want to minimize any risk of instability/crashes on my work phone.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Can't you get work to give you a new phone? Sounds like its old enough to be due an upgrade anyway

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

They just gave it to me this past August :(

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I've already ordered a new N5, but I had a question about my Sprint GS3 that I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light on.

I've been running CM11 pretty much since the first nightlies back in November, with minimal problems. CM10.1 and 10.2 before that.

I've had issues restoring nandroids in recovery for a long time (using CWM recovery). I have a rooted stock backup, a backup of CM10.1.2, and a backup of CM10.2.0, as well as a couple of CM11 backups. When I first tried installing CM11, the first nightly was a mess so I tried to go back to the CM10.2 backup I had just made. It would get part way through restoring System, sometimes making it to Data, and it would restart. It would get stuck on the boot animation, obviously having not completed the restore. I think I eventually was able to install CM10.2 again from scratch.

The same issue popped up again when I installed the very broken 2/2 nightly of CM11 yesterday. It would get part way through restoring data on a backup of CM11 from a couple weeks ago, and restart. I had two CM11 backups that did this same thing. I tried formatting /system, /data, and /cache manually before restoring, which seemed to help it get a little further, but no luck.

After fighting with that all day, I tried several times to reinstall the earlier CM11 1/29 nightly, which finally stuck this morning, and I'm not loving with it just so I can have a useable phone in the meantime. Even that was totally inconsistent, sometimes restarting in the middle of install in recovery, sometimes taking WAY longer than it should to write to /system or /data, etc. When it did install the first one or two times, poo poo was force closing like mad and mostly just didn't work. This morning was the same CM11 nightly file, and the same PA GApps file, it just worked this time for some reason.

Anyway, does that all sound like intermittent hardware failure or just jank from dealing with custom ROMs? I ran an eMMC check after getting it back online and it seems like it checked out, and it doesn't have the "sudden death" eMMC that apparently affects certain 16GB models.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

While I don't know anything about Samsung in particular it sure sounds like a hardware failure to me.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What's the procedure to flash a factory image but keep root and a custom recovery? Can I edit the batch script and remove the fastboot erase recovery line, then just flash some SuperUser zip? If so, what's the current recommendation for SU? SuperSU or SuperUser?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If it's a Nexus the easiest thing is to just immediately reflash your custom recovery and then root from there.

Deleting the recovery image from the zip should also work.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

If it's a Nexus the easiest thing is to just immediately reflash your custom recovery and then root from there.

Deleting the recovery image from the zip should also work.
On a Nexus now you have to boot after unlocking the bootloader. If you replace the recovery prior to booting after unlocking the bootloader it attempts to wipe the device using the stock recovery which isn't there and never completes booting.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I have an old original Droid Razr, it's no longer activated. Searching the web suggests I can root this and install custom ROMs. What ROM should I go with to get the most basic experience that is possible for this device, is there just a "stock" Android distributed via google I can install? Since it's no longer activated, ideally I would like to uninstall the phone and messaging apps, will this cause problems? My plans for this razr are to install some sort of dash cam software or maybe just use it is a GPS/traffic monitor.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

On a Nexus now you have to boot after unlocking the bootloader.
Since the post was about "keeping root", I was assuming it was already unlocked.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tunga posted:

Since the post was about "keeping root", I was assuming it was already unlocked.

Yup. Your instruction worked just fine. The biggest pain in the rear end (after the USB driver, of course) was waiting for TitaniumBackup to pull everything back down from Dropbox. But I was asleep for most of that, is its OK. Time to see how much I can make stock at like parts of CM!

Edit: Man, I forgot how much fun it is when you go back to stock and don't have some of the notification sounds LightFlow was using, so either it or the system picks ones for you (at random?), and they end up begin ring tones instead, so your calendar notification goes on indefinitely until you reboot the phone!

hooah fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 4, 2014

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Crotch Fruit posted:

My plans for this razr are to install some sort of dash cam software or maybe just use it is a GPS/traffic monitor.

Honestly if I were you I'd skip all the rooting whatnot and toss on some recording software, throw a big SD card on there and use regular old google maps navigation. You really don't need root access for any of this and should be able to get almost everything you need off of the Market.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

MC Hawking posted:

Honestly if I were you I'd skip all the rooting whatnot and toss on some recording software, throw a big SD card on there and use regular old google maps navigation. You really don't need root access for any of this and should be able to get almost everything you need off of the Market.

If it's not activated though wouldn't he have issues with routing/navigation?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
It is inded not activated, and this morning I tested dash cam software (Daily Roads Voyager) and the GPS still functions just fine.

Yesterday, I followed the directions on Cyanogen's website, and I rotoed the droid, then installed safestrap, the installed CyanogenMod in ROM slot 1. I wasn't entirely sure what that meant, I know the website says "This is a KEXEC build and must be installed in rom-slot1." Now I have a dual boot between stock Motorola and Cyanogen. I don't want a dual boot, I want to free up as much space as possible on my device. I want to remove the NFL mobile and Amazon and Motorla print services and all of Verizon's crap. Cyanogen is nice in that once I boot it, I don't see all of the Verioz/Motorola garbage, but it's all still present on my phone and taking up even more space due to the dual boot nature of the install. Can I install only Cyanogen on this phone and remove the default Verizon/Motorola firmware? If not, how do I remove Cyanogen now so that I can at least attempt to de-crapify the stock ROM?

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 5, 2014

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I recently switched from CyanogenMod back to stock on my Nexus 4. I had a Tasker profile that would turn on my PIN lock when I was not connected to my home wifi. This relied on CM's profile mechanism, which doesn't exist in stock. How can I get this back? A relatively easy Tasker method would be preferable to downloading another app, but I will if that's what it takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think you need Secure Settings to be able to do that through Tasker.