Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Quote is not Edit, pt. #172 - here, have an emergency Gouf:

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

muike posted:

I don't think so, but they've been using a lot more ABS recently, maybe it was just one of those. The polystyrene seems like as good or higher quality than it's ever been on the most recent kits I've checked out.

I haven't noticed anything different on the Amazing Booster I picked up either. On a side note, I had a weird time of trying to get a Union FLAG kit today. There's three stores (that I know of) in Melbourne that stock Gunpla, and you would think a generic unit kit (even a "custom" variant like the Graham Aker's) would be something easy to find. Instead I ran into every hard-to-find and new release kit that you'd never expect to see on an actual shelf. All three Thunderbolt kits, even that Zaku with the fixed gun emplacement, the new Red Astray with the flight pack, and entire shelves of weirder kits like The Kshatriya (and god drat does that thing have an MG-size box). But not one generic Gundam 00 antagonist's kit to be had.

:negative:

Bimmi posted:

Quote is not Edit, pt. #172 - here, have an emergency Gouf:

So you're saying you done Gouf'ed? :haw:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

I can speak from experience, the RG Destiny is pretty sweet.

Honestly I'm not really a fan of the proportions, and the little hole underneath the V-fin looks really silly, but the MG is too close to the original lineart (read: boring as gently caress) and the MG Zeta 2.0 is pretty bad, so not much choice.

Why couldn't there be a Metal Build Zeta. :negative:

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I got some h-hangars a couple weeks ago and decided to clean up a bit and try to free up some shelf room.
HGs all in the hangar (sort of):

MGs overlapping a little into the Macross section:

Strike Noir not pictured because it didn't neatly fit anymore. Trying to free up shelf room failed, though now that I think of it, I probably spread out the Macross stuff a bit while the rest of the shelf was empty.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SpikeMcclane posted:

I got some h-hangars a couple weeks ago and decided to clean up a bit and try to free up some shelf room.

Out of curiosity, what's the grey starfighter-esque thing on the Action Base to the left of the Nobell?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Delta Plus in waverider mode.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So loving tempted to ship this now, but I gotta wait till God Hand and FA ZZ restock. :smithicide:

EDIT: If you're curious, my restraint broke in one minute. Gotta have my GX fix.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 30, 2014

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Dooo iiiiit. I'm putting in my pre-orders for Phenix and trying to source a cheap D-style Deathsaurer.

GN-X is looking a little below the weather here :ohdear:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I already got it, and it'll be my last purchase until MG Turn X in May. Nothing you release can tempt me now Bandai, bring it. :colbert:

Also

turns out MG X has holographic stickers on the solar panels!

EDIT: Also no dry transfers, ugh. No wonder all of the reviews didn't put on any decals. Time to break out the Future I guess.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 30, 2014

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?

Ignimbrite posted:

Dooo iiiiit. I'm putting in my pre-orders for Phenix and trying to source a cheap D-style Deathsaurer.

GN-X is looking a little below the weather here :ohdear:

It's prone for sniping. Which I guess made more sense 3 moves ago when it and Exia were in opposite ends of the room and it was pointed at that. I just really like the pose because you pretty much never see that.

SpikeMcclane fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 30, 2014

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

So anyone built the MG GP-01Fb? My ladyfriend grabbed it for me after me telling her it was one of my favorite Gundams.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I have built the normal GP-01, which is largely the same kit. Some seam lines are evident as it is maybe a second-generation MG at best, it may or may not have very loose joints when completed, and getting the body and core fighter to work together will lead you to doubt the existence of a loving god. It looks pretty decent when finished, though, with some neat gimmicks, and I always felt it was it was well-done for its time – though that time was almost 17 years ago at this point, so adjust your expectations accordingly.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Jan 30, 2014

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

So my Sazabi ver Ka finally arrives tomorrow after being stuck in customs hell for about a week, having to pay 20% tax on it and the shipping cost + a handling fee which cost even more than that.

Is there a better way to get more expensive kits in the UK? Customs charges here are worked out in the most ridiculous fashion.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Luminaflare posted:

Is there a better way to get more expensive kits in the UK? Customs charges here are worked out in the most ridiculous fashion.

Speaking from experience with Dutch customs, I use the slowest shipping (mostly SAL) and that gets me around 25% catchrate on the random inspections they do on those.
Customs on stuff like gunpla is just stupid to me, there is no market to protect since that stuff isn't even made anywhere but Asia.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Zedd posted:

Speaking from experience with Dutch customs, I use the slowest shipping (mostly SAL) and that gets me around 25% catchrate on the random inspections they do on those.
Customs on stuff like gunpla is just stupid to me, there is no market to protect since that stuff isn't even made anywhere but Asia.

I've used SAL for all my purchases til now (Although none of those have arrived yet :v:) but it wasn't available as a shipping option on the MG Sazabi vKa.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

SpikeMcclane posted:

MGs overlapping a little into the Macross section:

Strike Noir not pictured because it didn't neatly fit anymore. Trying to free up shelf room failed, though now that I think of it, I probably spread out the Macross stuff a bit while the rest of the shelf was empty.

Jesus Christ, is that supposed to be the 1/144 Kshatriya? That's ridiculous, I must have one. Sazabi looks so sad standing alone up there, straight legged and neutral. :( I suppose you don't have the space luxury for dynamic action battles though. Probably something I should cut down on myself, before I find all my space eaten. Nice collection though.

Making progress on my damaged RX-78, got myself some burlap for a cloak and some joint dust covers, maybe I'll even make a small desert diorama to go with it. Question for those who've done battle damage mods, what's a good tool for making a kit look like it's been slashed? I've heard between a soldering iron dragged along a surface and a slow speed dremel quickly applied to the surface.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Luminaflare posted:

I've used SAL for all my purchases til now (Although none of those have arrived yet :v:) but it wasn't available as a shipping option on the MG Sazabi vKa.
Odd, Back in 2010 or so I shipped MG Hi-Nu, MG Exia, 1/100 Arios and around 8 HG's together and that was still possible with SAL.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?

S-Alpha posted:

Jesus Christ, is that supposed to be the 1/144 Kshatriya? That's ridiculous, I must have one. Sazabi looks so sad standing alone up there, straight legged and neutral. :( I suppose you don't have the space luxury for dynamic action battles though. Probably something I should cut down on myself, before I find all my space eaten. Nice collection though.
Yeah, that's 1/144. Even without the binders, it's as big as a small MG. As for Sinanju, fixed that. Though, I guess that reveals that I didn't panel line the back of the shield.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Zedd posted:

Since your also from the Netherlands, any good Dutch stores for generic supplies? (Markers/Micron pens and such, paints) Everything round where I live is hella expensive, due to them being the only somewhat good model shop in town.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I guess that unlike the other first run koto TSFs, the F-22 doesn't come with a stand. Kind of a bummer

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Micro-Mark shipped me my replacement tool, no questions asked, less than 12 hours after I sent them a notice; all the more impressive seeing as I received the original order over a month ago, which I thought they might take issue with.

Retailer status: still owns.

edit: revisiting panel-line chat, I tried out the Gundam Marker Sharp today. It's just a mechanical pencil and outputs the usual bland pencil grey, but whatever lead they're using is less shiny and metallic than your typical office-supply pencil and lays down dark and non-powdery on bare plastic, and I haven't yet had any problems with the tip breaking. Still not good for deep grooves but otherwise seems like a decent solution for applications where a wash wouldn't work and a marker would be overkill. I like it.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jan 31, 2014

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

BizarroAzrael posted:

I guess this is sort of the look I'm after, probably also over black, just gold patterns and details over some of the plating. Or perhaps like Ebony gear in Skyrim.

And yeah, regular Tamiya acrylic.

To follow up on this, will a gold Gundam marker do the job? Can I "draw" on plastic or painted surfaces with it? And is it metalic? Just done some searches looking for a suitable pen that will give the look I want.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
If you have the skills, it'll do the job. Looking at that stuff though definitely makes it look like a brush would work beest.

tgv
Oct 16, 2008

You could always just do a reverse wash, you'll waste paint but it might work and I find its pretty easy to do.

Should mention it really only works with raised details though

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
I just threw down for a bunch of tools, I can't wait for my crappy first build! I picked up a Gouf at NYCC last year. I wish mine could look as good as the one just posted.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Gold Gundam Markers are worthless. A better name for the finish they produce would be "tarnish": it's certainly not anything metallic or even vaguely gold-like.

A fine-tipped gold paint pen should suit your needs - they're meant for stationery and scrapbooking but work just fine on models.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

AzMiLion posted:

Since your also from the Netherlands, any good Dutch stores for generic supplies? (Markers/Micron pens and such, paints) Everything round where I live is hella expensive, due to them being the only somewhat good model shop in town.
Look up non-chain hobbystores tbh, mine is quite expensive but I haven't moved into airbrushing yet (lack of space) so I do the good old build, detail, line, spraycan large parts, topcoat thing.
It's probably cheaper to send some extra gundam markers and lining markers with a kit order over buying them locally. :shepface:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yesssss. :unsmigghh:

:swoon:

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

So almost everything arrived at once.

Yaaaayyyyy.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

S-Alpha posted:

:aaaaa:

I was skeptical at first, but that looks so much better in good lighting. The display case lights seemed to give an ugly green tinge to the psycoframe.

If my poor experience with the Banshee hadn't soured my opinion of the Unicorn model, I would seriously consider buying one of those.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

Luminaflare posted:

So almost everything arrived at once.

Yaaaayyyyy.

Mother of gently caress, I knew you were getting some suits but I somehow managed to forget about the Sazabi and the Buster.

E: and now i have several weeks of you swearing like a sailor on skype to look forward to. yaaay?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

S-Alpha posted:

I have enough Unicorn-based MGs as it is but if I was looking for another one, I would probably grab this.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Cannot wait for my Phenex to arrive.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Now that I think about it, I guess the best possible thing you could do with the Unicorn frame is make it so incredibly pretty you never want to touch it. Bam, stability issues gone.

Hope you guys enjoy nubs though, because review pictures already make it clear that Bandai did not randomly decide to completely remake the mold like that one Gundam Guy commenter is demanding they do.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah, it's kind of a shame, but at least there's ways to mitigate the damage, so that at the very least it won't be noticeable on a display shelf. It is insanely pretty, even with the nubbins though.

But this is gonna end up being my fourth Unicorn mold (FA Unicorn, Banshee ver Ka and ver OVA), so I guess I'm not soured on the mold yet, somehow. Or I just hate myself that much, who knows.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
http://gundamguy.blogspot.com.au/2013/12/hgbf-1144-gm-sniper-k9-new-images.html

Am I the only one that thinks the GM Sniper K9's sniper rifle is just a little too comically oversized? It looks like an MG weapon in the hands of an HG kit, if only because of that awkward stock.

S-Alpha posted:

It's like a shiny golden god :allears:. Just remember; once the fingerprints start, they'll never stop.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 31, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

S-Alpha posted:

But this is gonna end up being my fourth Unicorn mold (FA Unicorn, Banshee ver Ka and ver OVA), so I guess I'm not soured on the mold yet, somehow. Or I just hate myself that much, who knows.

I know a guy who's built like twelve MG Unicorn variants. He once told me that he literally dreams of the Unicorn manual.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's like a shiny golden god :allears:. Just remember; once the fingerprints start, they'll never stop.

This is what keeps me from getting one like that. I know I'm going to miss a fingerprint at some point and then that's gonna become my whole world.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

I know a guy who's built like twelve MG Unicorn variants. He once told me that he literally dreams of the Unicorn manual.

:stare: Jesus Christ

Tatum Girlparts posted:

This is what keeps me from getting one like that. I know I'm going to miss a fingerprint at some point and then that's gonna become my whole world.

Anyone who gets this should just get latex gloves for the build, because I can't imagine ruining that golden sheen with awful fingerprints. Or the millions of sticker decals that it'll of course come with and will look absolutely awful on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Some dark pit of my soul says they're all positioned over/around his bed. Judging him.

• Locked thread