Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emushka
Jul 5, 2007
...so I made a ticket.

me: umm, a major gently caress up, please correct the issue asap.
SP: :silent:
me: please, revert to what was last week asap.
SP: oh, we don't officially recommend to use this feature. sorry.
me: WTF, after over a year you tell me this, my suppliers are pretty pissed
SP: :silent:
me: :suicide:

wtf, after the SP reconizes they can't correct/revert they don't officially recommend that feature that got hosed. w-t-f.

ah, life in the IT. time to buy some more beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

An IM came in

:v: - Server X (non-critical) is down!
me - Did you contact the oncall (not me) or the service desk (who they're supposed to call first)
:v: - No. Should I?
me - Considering I've just gotten to the office, am working on a project all day, and I'm NOT ONCALL, probably yes.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Thanks Internet posted:

Didn't stop my coworker from buying an Alienware laptop for his primary machine.

Isn't alienware overpriced? Then again, I can't talk. I bought a novatech pc just before christmas because I was impatient and a friend got a PC that matched mine in spec for £300 less. Only downside was it runs AMD and the case isn't as bitchin' :nitecrew:

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Last night an IRL BanMe came in from one of my coworkers

A 2 page long diatribe with choice cuts of

- "being ultimately managed by a man who wears bicycle shorts"
- "Husband, to a lovely job title, not-giver-of-gently caress to a faggoty boss-guy,"
- "I started thinking about how I got demoted recently, but have been asked to do nothing but higher level work for less money! Or like when I was asked to take tickets that your helpdesk couldn't (apparently) handle! Wow! So quick! Such disease! Whoa!"

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

Last night an IRL BanMe came in from one of my coworkers

A 2 page long diatribe with choice cuts of

- "being ultimately managed by a man who wears bicycle shorts"
- "Husband, to a lovely job title, not-giver-of-gently caress to a faggoty boss-guy,"
- "I started thinking about how I got demoted recently, but have been asked to do nothing but higher level work for less money! Or like when I was asked to take tickets that your helpdesk couldn't (apparently) handle! Wow! So quick! Such disease! Whoa!"
What the poo poo, the end is doge meme poo poo.

Did work gently caress him/her over unwarranted-ly?

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

KoRMaK posted:

What the poo poo, the end is doge meme poo poo.

Did work gently caress him/her over unwarranted-ly?

He's... a character. But more than not, I find myself agreeing with the poo poo pay, increased responsibilities, and lack of recognition. He was a brilliant tech, the main issues with him was that you could set your watch to how late he'd be in, he was somewhat... brusque to be around.He also had a recent string of absences and no-calls. He's also suffering from depression... I'm kind of hoping that he pulls himself together after this, he was sort of a mentor like figure to me here with regards to learning new stuff here.

VvvvV : The writing is on the wall here. I've seen two senior techs ragequite out of here, I've been given a laughable offer for fulltime (25K, what?!), and consistently see missed marks between my employer and the promises to the employees in the org. I'm trying to pull the eject handle into a YOTJ.

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 30, 2014

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Um, I hope he isn't the violent type. Strikes me as the sort that would snap and bring a gun into work.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Also his homophobia doesn't speak well to his character.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Yeah, I never figured him the type, oh well. :sigh:

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
Jesus, 25k salary offer? You can make more managing a Wendys. I'd rather take the hourly equivalent, at least then overtime would be an option

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

In 2000 I was offered 25k to be an assistant manager at a Burger King instead of quitting and doing an IT internship. 25k is some bullshit in 2014.

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 30, 2014

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I an hourly as a level 1 tech and make 32k a year. I feel underpaid and angry. If I was in your position I would probably be having the same mental break as your coworker.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!
I can say that some of the people on our helpdesk are worth 25k and not a penny more (of course, they make almost double that so its a career for them). Thats what happens when you staff your helpdesk with 40 year old ex-secretaries :(

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I started at 25k, in 2005, as my first foray into this illustrious field. Lowest bidder gets the padding for his resume. Sadly, I stuck there for almost 8 years, and only worked myself up to 31. :(

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

25k full time isn't a salary, it's an insult. It's basically the company telling you to gently caress off.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
So a ticket came in last Friday...

A user was getting everything they sent to gmail bounced back to them with this:

quote:

mx.google.com #550-5.7.1 [2002:c16c:518a::c16c:518a] Our system has detected that this message 550-5.7.1 does not meet IPv6 sending guidelines regarding PTR records and 550-5.7.1 authentication. Please review 550-5.7.1 https://support.google.com/mail/?p=ipv6_authentication_error for more 550 5.7.1 information.

I thought this was odd as we don't have any IPv6 addressess on our network, internal or public. However when I checked through the headers, I noticed this from the start of the chain:

quote:

Received: from usa-mail-server.my-company.local ([::1]) by usa-mail-server.my-company.local
([::1]) with mapi; Fri, 24 Jan 2014 10:24:38 -0800

A bit a Googling implied that this error could happen if you have any IPv6 addresses in the internal routing headers, so I set the edge server to remove them.

Another ticket came in... exactly the same issue from another user.

This time I went around disabling IPv6 in the registry for every mail server in the domain, and rebooted them over the weekend. I sent a few test emails to various gmail accounts, and all of them got through fine so I told the affected users to try again as the problem was now fixed.

Monday morning... and more tickets come in :suicide:. Several other users can't sent to Gmail addresses, with the same error. For some reason it does randomly let some mails through now, but others get rejected. There's no obvious pattern, so it's time for some intensive digging. After much searching I learn that someone not only had this genius idea this service which is switched on be default, but disabling everything IPv6 doesn't disable this:

I login to the edge server and terminate the service with extreme prejudice. I ask some users to test, and find a 100% success rate. All is well!

...A few hours later, I'm at home when another ticket comes in to my phone. One of the same users as before still getting rejected by Gmail.

quote:

mx.google.com #550-5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please try 550-5.1.1 double-checking the recipient's email address for typos or 550-5.1.1 unnecessary spaces.

:v:

It took a lot of self control to reply politely to that one.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Collateral Damage posted:

25k full time isn't a salary, it's an insult. It's basically the company telling you to gently caress off.

When I started out full-time at my city government job 5 years ago, I was getting paid $29k as a server admin who also acted as network admin and part-time webapp developer and database admin.

I left that job to take a $10k pay raise to work as a tier-1 helpdesk tech. :negative:

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Yes, a YOTJ is in the works for me, and I will hopefully leave with a lot more tact than "Mr. Y'all Circlejerking" and the Manifister

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Jesus; I started at 40K a year at my current job and feel way underpaid for the position (Embedded Linux/Network systems engineering. [I do a lot here. :v:] ). If I had been offered 25K a year I would have laughed my rear end off.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

ratbert90 posted:

Jesus; I started at 40K a year at my current job and feel way underpaid for the position (Embedded Linux/Network systems engineering. [I do a lot here. :v:] ). If I had been offered 25K a year I would have laughed my rear end off.

That is incredibly underpaid, unless you're in the UK.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

evol262 posted:

That is incredibly underpaid, unless you're in the UK.

Nope, Boise Idaho. And trust me; I know I am super underpaid, but there isn't a whole lot of job in Boise and I don't have my RHCSA done yet.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 30, 2014

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

ratbert90 posted:

I've mentioned it before, but if you ever want to move to Austin, TX or San Jose,CA you'd probably land a job with my company really easy. We pay well too.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

skipdogg posted:

I've mentioned it before, but if you ever want to move to Austin, TX or San Jose,CA you'd probably land a job with my company really easy. We pay well too.

San Jose? Send me a PM if you can.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Lum posted:

It still amazes me that there are IT people who don't immediately format and reinstall any prebuilt computer that comes their way.

Related: this program was sent my way by someone asking if it's any good. I've not used it but supposedly it will backup and restore Windows+Office activations so you don't even have to worry about having to phone microsoft or losing your OEM/SLIC based key. Anyone know if it's any good?

Couple pages old, but I've hit more than laptop with touchy hardware and not-easily-or-at-all available drivers for it. HP was always a bitch about that, along with their stance of "we're not going to send you a PDF of your motherboard's manual so that you can check jumper positions unless you can quote us the Windows key that came with your desktop".

gently caress HP.

e:

ZetsurinPower posted:

Jesus, 25k salary offer? You can make more managing a Wendys. I'd rather take the hourly equivalent, at least then overtime would be an option

I was getting 30k as a tier 1 tech support at a government job, and I was underpaid for what I ended up actually doing to boot. Anyone offering that either wants to get rid of you or has a really overinflated sense of importance.

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 30, 2014

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
A ticket came in, I'm apparently getting some type of promotion. My boss asked me to pick my new title. I've been "IS Coordinator", corporate's default, I'm a generalist who does everything on all computers, runs the whole network myself including active directory etc. No one works under me (yet, we're trying to hire underlings for me), and my boss is "IS Director".

What's the best sounding new title I can pick? "Systems Administrator"? "Lead Systems Administrator"?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jan 30, 2014

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

A ticket came in, I'm apparently getting some type of promotion. My boss asked me to pick my new title. I've been "IS Coordinator", corporate's default, I'm a generalist who does everything on all computers, runs the whole network myself including active directory etc. No one works under me (yet, we're trying to hire underlings for me), and my boss is "IS Director".

What's the best sounding new title I can pick? "Systems Administrator"? "Lead Systems Administrator"?

Senior + ${OS_YOU_USE_THE_MOST} + Network + Administrator

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Senior Windows Network Administrator, aside from sounding like it might typecast me (I do Avaya VoIP, androids etc), is really long... You sure that's a good idea? Then again I've been doing Windows XP for three years the Navy and another four years here. At my last job, lead was above senior though.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Senior Windows Network Administrator, aside from sounding like it might typecast me (I do Avaya VoIP, androids etc), is really long... You sure that's a good idea? Then again I've been doing Windows XP for three years the Navy and another four years here. At my last job, lead was above senior though.

It's a tough call. You are making this job title for future resume's and interviews. It what you do primary deals with networking, then put network administrator.

If you engineer everything and you don't just administrate it, put network engineer. If you do primary systems based stuff, but systems administrator/engineer.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Lead Systems Administrator shows 60+ salaries on Glassdoor compared to 14 for Senior Windows Administrator, so at least it's more common. I might branch to different IT areas since I've always been a quick study.

I don't really engineer much since it's usually all working when I get here but I certainly reorganize subnets and set up Spiceworks installations, VMware and more crap like that.

Edit: Sorry if I'm :spergin: but my boss just gave me until the end of the day to decide, sort of a surprise.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
a ticket came in: what has been working fine since the company started is suddenly unacceptable

Anyone have any suggestions for video conferencing that isn't google hangouts or Skype? My company has decided these are no good apparently and wants something else.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

Lead Systems Administrator shows 60+ salaries on Glassdoor compared to 14 for Senior Windows Administrator, so at least it's more common. I might branch to different IT areas since I've always been a quick study.

I don't really engineer much since it's usually all working when I get here but I certainly reorganize subnets and set up Spiceworks installations, VMware and more crap like that.

Edit: Sorry if I'm :spergin: but my boss just gave me until the end of the day to decide, sort of a surprise.

That's OK dude, gotta impress grandma with your fancy job title. :v:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Not that is free. You can buy GoToMeeting or something similar if you want.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

mad.radhu posted:

a ticket came in: what has been working fine since the company started is suddenly unacceptable

Anyone have any suggestions for video conferencing that isn't google hangouts or Skype? My company has decided these are no good apparently and wants something else.

:homebrew: lync

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Did they give a reason why Skype or Hangouts aren't good enough? Because there's probably hundreds of options for video conferencing at various price points.

Edit: I like the look of http://webconferencing.brother.co.uk/plans

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 30, 2014

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Zero VGS posted:

Senior Information Services Architect :haw:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Zero VGS posted:

Engineer means "my primary job is projects, not handling day-to-day admin issues", basically. You don't have to be designing datacenters or anything.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

evol262 posted:

Engineer means "my primary job is projects, not handling day-to-day admin issues", basically. You don't have to be designing datacenters or anything.

Oh, that makes more sense. I do both about 50/50, but naturally I wanna be doing projects more than being a computer janitor in the future.

Example, I'm currently doing a Wifi site survey for a Unifi installation, virtualizing some servers, and preparing to migrate the whole network to Win7 before the XP support expiration. But I also just dropped off a toner and some replacement phone cables to the call center.

Edit: Hmm, I'd still have to be pretty balsy to suggest engineer, it strongly implies coding and I can't write a line of code. Best I can do is some basic scripting.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jan 30, 2014

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

A database schema came in. Adding 'WHERE' as a field in a SQL table: Bad idea or extremely bad idea?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

evol262 posted:

This is my experience as well. Admin is day to day, Engineer is projects and then there is the ever elusive Architect

We have a lot of software engineers in the company so titles tend to follow their convention

System Admin then goes to Senior, Lead, Staff, Senior Staff, Principal

System Engineer then goes, Senior, Lead, Staff, Senior Staff, Principal etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:homebrew: :homebrew: Halo

Serious answer: What's your use case? Just inter-office conferencing or external parties too?

• Locked thread