Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Sounds like someone's getting SHITCANNED

jk jk congrats to Rick and Morty staff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I posted this on the weird fan art thread

achillesforever6 posted:

Found this Rick and Morty Fanart comic

I can actually hear how the dialogue would go by reading this comic, its weird.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

muscles like this? posted:

I liked how their principal was on the PA early in the episode announcing the Flu Season dance reminding people not to go to the dance if they actually have the flu.

My favorite throwaway Principal Vagina joke was "Principal Vagina here, don't let the name fool you... I'm very much in charge."

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty
For as hosed up as the ending was, I was glad to see Jerry existing at least in some universe where he and his wife are very happy. I was worried he'd be a complete punching bag from start to finish in this show, so a 'win' like this was a nice twist.

Still, poor Morty. I mean he already had to kill a clone family of his once before this, but they actually found a way to top that trauma.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I'm angry with all my real life friends who didn't tell me about this show.

Armchair Eclectic
Jan 22, 2004

Smellrose
http://danharmon.tumblr.com/post/74973533164/winstonchurchillenjoyspopsicles-dan-harmon

Full length flu-hatin' rap. I'm amazed Dan didn't go back to the "I hosed your mom" well.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The realization that it's Harmon singing that makes it a million times better.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

NutritiousSnack posted:

Keep in mind it also doesn't go with the character development Rick gets last episode either, when he determines that "it is important to clean up the universe"

You know, I saw Rick in the end of the King Jellybean episode as humoring Morty in order to cheering him up after the universe very nastily proved Rick right. But I suppose character development is also a valid reading of it.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo this show is amazing. Is it by the same people as Moral Oral, because I'm getting a really similar vibe from it.

I saw Rick Potion #9 first and loved it but after watching the five other episodes I think it's my least favorite. The comedic timing reminds me of some of the best of Futurama, but it's much less formulaic. Only real complaint is that I find the lead voice acting to be grating and obnoxious.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 30, 2014

my2k
Nov 11, 2004

I WISH I WASN'T SUCH A LARDASS :'(
this show is incredible. Moral Orel, Venture Brothers, Futurama, Superjail, rolled into one. I couldn't ask for a better show. God, the human body park episode was probably one of the grossest episodes of anything I've ever seen for a dozen different reasons. I still can't get the taste of puke out of my mouth. This show is so loving horrible. ...I love it.

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Don't Think About It.
the amount of incomprehensible horrors Rick must have seen in his life is staggering. That blows my mind the most. He can look at anything and then shrug and open a beer. It's funny situationally, but also serves to really spell out exactly how much poo poo this guy has seen and while we think of him as a sociopathic freak, he's seen countless worlds die, horrifying creatures and mind-bending paradoxical craziness- he has a perspective no sane human being could ever be able to mentally digest, and here we are slapping our foreheads because he's a massive drunk. Rick is what happens when a normal man is forced to comprehend poo poo he wasn't made to.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I went into this episode thinking "well at least it cant be darker than last weeks episode"
:stare:
yeah, I get the impression this show is going to go right straight into the deep end. I got Moral Orel vibes after the first few episodes. Now, imagine that with time-space fuckery. We're in it now, boy.

Hazo posted:

I'm really interested to see what sort of dark secret Rick is hiding, given his obsession with making Morty his "little helper" on all his science adventures. It really seems like there's something more going on than Rick simply wanting to pass the torch and Morty being the person he despises the least.

Punch Card posted:

He's going to be Rick if he ever makes it to adulthood. That existential horror experienced as a child leads perfectly to a self-medicating alcoholic nihilist later in life.

literally. Rick is Morty. They speak the same way, they look similar, they have the same mannerisms. He became his own grandfather, and when he realized that massive fuckup, the only way to prevent the paradox from erasing his existence entirely was to complete the cycle and have Morty experience what he did enough to drive him into madness and alcoholism and eventually become him. He's doing it to save his own rear end. Why else would someone like him have such a pressing urgency to drag Morty around on these adventures otherwise, to explain poo poo to him, to keep him at his side? What other reason could he have to give the slightest poo poo about such insignificant little people? The amount he cares about anyone else but himself is close to zero.

I figured this a few episodes in, but... and stay with me here... when Morty approached him and wanted to go home at that tavern, it didn't take much for Rick to understand what just happened. It wasn't exactly hard to figure out but, still, he also made the choice not to ask or pursue it directly. It was Rick's arm that reached back through the portal to blast the Jellybean King, I doubt Morty ever knew he did that and so it was safe for him to do. I'd go so far as to insinuate he remembered it, and finally got his revenge after all this time, as an adult having remembered something that just happened?

I want to believe Rick does care about Morty and wants him to know what he knows, because I'm a sap. But I don't think it's that simple.

....I mean the odds are, this is all 100% bullshit of course but nothing is off the table so I may as well say it now in case it comes true later in some way.

At least he respects women, though, that's nice.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Rick and Morty: Winner of the TVTropes' Tropiest TV Trophy 2014

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I literally came to post that theory My2k posted.

Look at the noses of those two characters in relation to everyone else. It's interesting. That's what made me think.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Rick, Deadpan Snarker of our generation.

Existenzangst
Jul 19, 2013

pew pew

achillesforever6 posted:

I posted this on the weird fan art thread

I just got hooked on this show yesterday and yes, I can totally hear it, too.
The show is actually well paced and not that much over the top, I think. Get's to you quickly.

Existenzangst
Jul 19, 2013

pew pew

Eifert Posting posted:

Only real complaint is that I find the lead voice acting to be grating and obnoxious.

In comparison to Lemongrab?

And that's bad thing?

my2k posted:

literally. Rick is Morty.

I like how this literally does not feel like a spoiler.

Existenzangst fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jan 30, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah, but the sunglasses make Rick look more like Dr. Strangelove than Doc Brown.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Garfu posted:

My favorite throwaway Principal Vagina joke was "Principal Vagina here, don't let the name fool you... I'm very much in charge."

I like his announcement that continues in the background admonishing students with the flu NOT to attend the flu dance. He says something like, "you wouldn't bring a dead baby to Passover, would you?"

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The only thing that throws a wrench into the Rick is Morty speculation (it is speculation, not a spoiler) is that the creators have said that they aren't going to do time travel stories.

Turra
Oct 28, 2006

Help! A guinea pig tricked me.

Last Chance posted:

The only thing that throws a wrench into the Rick is Morty speculation (it is speculation, not a spoiler) is that the creators have said that they aren't going to do time travel stories.

I saw this screengrab just before I read your post, so found it kind of funny what Morty is pointing at. It's just background dressing though so who knows.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

my2k posted:

the amount of incomprehensible horrors Rick must have seen in his life is staggering. That blows my mind the most. He can look at anything and then shrug and open a beer. It's funny situationally, but also serves to really spell out exactly how much poo poo this guy has seen and while we think of him as a sociopathic freak, he's seen countless worlds die, horrifying creatures and mind-bending paradoxical craziness- he has a perspective no sane human being could ever be able to mentally digest, and here we are slapping our foreheads because he's a massive drunk. Rick is what happens when a normal man is forced to comprehend poo poo he wasn't made to.

This is part of why I really like the scenes where we get to see Rick relax a bit and do something relatively normal. There's a sense that even though he sees normal people as beneath him and his science-stuff as what's really important, he still appreciates the occasional respite from the madness.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Last Chance posted:

I think it's more plausible that Rick cloned himself and injected the embryo into his daughter.

I can't believe I just wrote that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I think it's more plausible that Rick cloned himself and injected the embryo into his daughter.

That would explain why he's so dismissive of Jerry in particular. :v:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That would explain why he's so dismissive of Jerry in particular. :v:

Hey, man, it's Jerry's place so what he says goes.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Hearing the 'Cronenberg' thing was particularly amusing as I was recently discussing a new term for describing someone as hideously unattractive with a particularly catty friend and we came up with Cronenberg. To hear it in this show has just solidifed my love for it.

<3

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
There's no way that Rick is Morty, except in some loose figurative sense. The "no time travel" thing for one. For another, Morty is dumb as poo poo. Finally, it'd be way too predictable.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Anony Mouse posted:

There's no way that Rick is Morty, except in some loose figurative sense. The "no time travel" thing for one. For another, Morty is dumb as poo poo. Finally, it'd be way too predictable.

Plus if Morty and Rick had the same DNA, the whole world would have had the hots for Rick as well. They can't possibly be genetically identical.

e: and they also have to be genetically related, and the father didn't turn into a mantis monster so Jerry has to be the father.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I hope they do an episode in a universe where Rick and Morty die.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Gaunab posted:

I hope they do an episode in a universe where Rick and Morty die.

They are: All the rest of them.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Anony Mouse posted:

For another, Morty is dumb as poo poo.

Morty is dumb in the same way Philip J Fry is dumb. In many of the episodes shown thus far he's been capable of some intelligent insight and clever ideas.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy

CoolCab posted:

Plus if Morty and Rick had the same DNA, the whole world would have had the hots for Rick as well. They can't possibly be genetically identical.

e: and they also have to be genetically related, and the father didn't turn into a mantis monster so Jerry has to be the father.
Also good points.

I was wondering after that episode though, how closely related do you have to be to be immune? If Rick was immune, then what about Morty's grandmother and paternal grandparents? Cousins? Aunts and Uncles? Somewhere out there in Neo Cronenberg World must be other small tribes like Jerry's who are distantly related to Morty. Maybe eventually they'll find each other, inbreed, and rebuild civilization, just like in the Bible!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I actually really like the implication that Rick is the only human on this technological level. I hate that "rival" poo poo. I even hated it in Futurama.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Hi, I'm Mr. Boobie-buyer, I'll buy those boobies for twenty-five shmeckels!

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Its like some sort of legally safe knock off of an eighties horror character... with miniature swords for fingers instead of knifes.

Welcome to your nightmare, bitch

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

Its like some sort of legally safe knock off of an eighties horror character... with miniature swords for fingers instead of knifes.

Welcome to your nightmare, bitch
When I showed Rick and Morty to a friend, I think this is the moment that sealed it for him. He even said "what is this, Freddy Krueger" a moment before Scary Gary even showed up.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 30, 2014

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

JT Jag posted:

When I showed Rick and Morty to a friend, I think this is the moment that sealed it for him. He even said "what is this, Freddy Krueger" a moment before Scary Gary even showed up.

His name is Terry, bitch.

drat this is a good show.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

CoolCab posted:

Who says they didn't? The only time Rick was being chased was when he was with Morty, and at no point did anyone say "You're not Morty" or something similar to Rick. Rick never really had any direct contact with the horde after that point.

Not to help derail the thread with this talk, I just found that interesting.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Last Chance posted:

That's what Futurama said when they first started, and then "Roswell That Ends Well" and Fry's his own grandfather.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I'll toxx right now. If at any time in Rick and Morty's adventures it is revealed that Rick is in fact an older Morty, ban me.

Doesn't count if they suffer some kind of teleporter malfunction and become spliced with each other.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Can you do an alt Toxx? Anyone who calls this theory and it turns out to be true I will buy you an avatar saying "That is the stupidest stupidest stupidest loving theory ever"

in red text

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

I think you guys are thinking about it.

• Locked thread