Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Desert Bus posted:

I'm hoping someone here can help me with this. I'm looking for an old article or forum post about a guy who found a 8-10 foot long bristle worm in his tank so I can show it to a friend, and despite somehow stumbling upon it a few times over the years, can't find it anywhere. Any ideas?

Steve Weast's is the one that comes immediately to mind...
http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_worm.htm

edit: New page, added quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Wandering Orange posted:

Steve Weast's is the one that comes immediately to mind...
http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_worm.htm

edit: New page, added quote.

That's it! Tanks!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh jesus christ save us! :stonk:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SynthOrange posted:

Oh jesus christ save us! :stonk:

You should address Shai Hulud by his proper name.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Going back to the freshwater thread, where we don't occasionally find crawling nightmares in our tanks.

Have fun guys.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Ugh, so after a month, my drat impeller shaft snapped for my ehiem classic filter. So I spend about an hour trying to figure out where their technical support section is and finally find that it is just an emailer program, so I fill it out, and submit it. Unfortunately I also saw that they have a habit of not responding to the emails so I finally found their number after more searching. What do you know, I spend about half an hour on hold as "first in line" before being sent to an answering machine that is full. Their website is also full of dead links and their parts store doesn't even work properly.

Does anyone know where I could get a replacement impeller for as cheap as possible since it appears that my 24 month warantee on the filter is completely useless? Either that or how to reliably contact them? Are they even still in business?

In other news my new fire gobies are the best of buddies. I bought 2 of the orange and a few days later a purple. They are all just hanging out in the same cave and don't seem to be unhappy about it.

jadebullet fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 31, 2014

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Slugworth posted:

Going back to the freshwater thread, where we don't occasionally find crawling nightmares in our tanks.

Have fun guys.

It's really part of the fun to occasionally find some horror from beyond in our tanks. Without the possibility of that, why, it'd feel positively sterile.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Sometimes there are delightful surprises though! Say your clownfish pair try hosting a fungia plate coral and their love is just too much so the plate coral recedes and dies. If you leave the coral skeleton in your tank, there's a chance it will sprout dozens upon dozens of baby fungias! When they're ready to leave the nest, the baby fungias eject from the old skeleton and float away to find a new spot to live.

Hopefully they color up as I get my reef back in order cause right now they're worthless as frags.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

When you're ready to ship some of those, holler.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Presenting the colony of the year from LiveAquaria Diver's Den. Yes I'm comfortable with awarding it this early.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152171592994706

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013

api call girl posted:

Presenting the colony of the year from LiveAquaria Diver's Den. Yes I'm comfortable with awarding it this early.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152171592994706

That is a beautiful acropora. One day, I will keep such a beauty in a tank.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
Been having some trouble with green hair algae and to a lesser extent bryopsis lately. It keeps coming back and it's really starting to annoy me. Coral growth and color is still pretty good but having this poo poo on my sandbed so bad that my goby can't keep up with it is annoying. Lights out for a few days kills it for a week or so but it continues to come back. Does nutrient export (larger more frequent water changes) kill this or do I have to get something that eats it?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Anything that eats it eventually puts the nutrients back into the water to be absorbed again, that's what you're hopefully exporting with water changes.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Melchior posted:

Been having some trouble with green hair algae and to a lesser extent bryopsis lately. It keeps coming back and it's really starting to annoy me. Coral growth and color is still pretty good but having this poo poo on my sandbed so bad that my goby can't keep up with it is annoying. Lights out for a few days kills it for a week or so but it continues to come back. Does nutrient export (larger more frequent water changes) kill this or do I have to get something that eats it?

If you have a sump or any sort of refugium, growing macro algae is a very efficient and effective form of nutrient export.

As far as CuC members that will eat hair algae, I frequently hear emerald crabs lauded, but I've never had much luck with them. Minimize nutrients, rinse any raw food prior to feeding, siphon up detritus and skim aggressively.

You might also consider testing for phosphates.

LordHop
Oct 26, 2003
Ugh - Algae has been an uphill battle for me.
I switched to doing 20% water changes bi-weekly, and upgraded my skimmer.
I also will randomly pull a chunk of liverock out and give it a good scrubbing in a bucket with the water I pull out from the water change.

Seems to be the best strategy.

My theory is the water changes + skimmer pull the waste out of the water and the rock scrubbing exports the stuff that is going to eventually die and turn into algae food.

It hasn't been an overnight success, but I am slowly turning the tide.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
The strategy that has worked best for me is large frequent water changes and a severe cutback in light. Like 2 or 3 hours of light a day with some dark days. This is still doable with corals. Plus a large clean up crew -- like 40-50 hermits at once, considering like a third will die anyway probably more.

That large neon green toadstool is completely covering a large and healthy bam bam colony as well as a green acro. It was much smaller 6 months ago so poor placement on my part but I want to move it at this point. I think the thing is rock solid but I'm still worried it'll freak out when I move it plus I'm not sure where the gently caress to put it. I was hoping it would flop over by now.

visuvius fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Feb 12, 2014

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

visuvius posted:

The strategy that has worked best for me is large frequent water changes and a severe cutback in light. Like 2 or 3 hours of light a day with some dark days. This is still doable with corals. Plus a large clean up crew -- like 40-50 hermits at once, considering like a third will die anyway probably more.

This is some very workable advice. I tried four days with lights out but all my corals lost color and I'd like to avoid that with possible. Cutting back light is a definite option, though. I also need to replace my RO/DI filters (the DI resin is about 2/3 brown now) which should also help. My water changes are about 25% of a 100 gallon system (90g +10g in sump). I put in a dozen or so Hawaiian strombus snails about a year ago and they seem to have reproduced so they are definitely helping. I'd like to avoid hermits though because they tend to harass some corals that I've got.

Like I said, coral growth is great but I'm afraid at this point that the nitrates allowing this have leached into my liverock and made it kind of a semi-permanent problem from here on out.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I bought a biocube over the weekend, and my heater was too large to fit in the back chamber so I temporarily threw it in the main chamber. Heated up fine.

I modified the back chamber to accommodate my heater, and now the temp keeps dropping, despite me cranking the heater. Any ideas? My understanding has always been that heaters work best in a high flow area, which the filter inlet chamber definitely is.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

A: Which size cube?
B: What is the heaters rated wattage?
C: Is the tank in the refrigerator?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

MrYenko posted:

A: Which size cube?
B: What is the heaters rated wattage?
C: Is the tank in the refrigerator?
29, 100w, and you joke, but kind of. Drafty house in the midwest. My other tanks are doing fine though. I have now really cranked the heater and am seeing some progress. The only thing I can guess is the small chamber is warming up fast enough to confuse the heater's thermostat. The water movement seems too good for that though.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Slugworth posted:

29, 100w, and you joke, but kind of. Drafty house in the midwest. My other tanks are doing fine though. I have now really cranked the heater and am seeing some progress. The only thing I can guess is the small chamber is warming up fast enough to confuse the heater's thermostat. The water movement seems too good for that though.

It may seem like overkill, but you could consider a separate controller for the heater - that way you can have the temperature probe a ways away from the actual heat source.

Especially with a small system, shelling out a hundred bucks for a decent heater and controller may well be worth it. In the event of something going wrong, 29 gallons doesn't provide much of a buffer.

I'm using the JBJ Titanium 500 Watt for my 150. I won't recommend this particular company (I've gone through three temperature probes and two heaters in less than three years), but I love the convenience of having a controller. Browsing around in Google, it looks like you can probably find a decent controller/heater for around $100.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've been cycling my damned tank since the end of November due to that bryopsis issue. Yesterday I did a 50% water change after having the water quality tested. All parameters are finally go for a fish! Just need to do some more changes throughout the week to get rid of the high levels of magnesium I've had in there all of this time. Haven't seen bryopsis in over a month and a lights on day had no macro algae appear, so I'm feeling confident. One more test after that to make sure magnesium is reasonable and I'll be moving in my first occupant. Taking this week to re-read about fish that best fit my tank (29 gal nano cube cf quad). Wooooo

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Slugworth posted:

Which chamber is the heater in? The pump chamber, the big one, or the useless one on the right? That heater is at the low end of what I'd consider ok for thirty gallons, so it's no surprise it's running a lot.

Also, I hate you for having heating issues. I can barely keep mine cool enough. :suicide:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Useless one on the right. Which has a useless false bottom on it. Your heat issue definitely seems more common than mine. I am considering disconnecting the upgraded cooling fans the previous owner installed. Seems dumb to be cooling heated water.

The thought of a remote probe has definitely crossed my mind, but hopefully it doesn't come to that.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
The cooling comes in handy if yours is one of those biocubes with metal halide lighting.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Nope, power compacts.

Is there a good beginners guide for corals? I am having a surprisingly hard time finding a good one. Something that describes the basic 'groups' and terminology.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Slugworth posted:

Is there a good beginners guide for corals? I am having a surprisingly hard time finding a good one. Something that describes the basic 'groups' and terminology.

Shimek's PocketExpert Guide to Marine Invertebrates may be what you're looking for (http://www.amazon.com/PocketExpert-Guide-Marine-Invertebrates-Essential/dp/1890087661/ref=pd_sim_b_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0XXMHTFJW230QNGBHQ31).

My copy is from 2004, and it looks like the most recent is 2005, so don't expect the most current info, but I think Shimek does an excellent job of general categorization along with general husbandry. He does tend towards the philosophy of "leave that in the ocean, yo" for more difficult and rare specimens; for me that's just fine, but it's something you should be aware of.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've been having a problem with the right stock Accela pump for my nano cube that apparently is shared by a lot of people online. It is just noticeably louder than the left and is really starting to aggravate me. More reading shows that the Maxijet 1200 also can have some noise issues. Anyone have any ideas for a silent pump for use with the 28 gal nano cube? The sump looks basically like this:

Pretty tight squeeze just with the stock pumps.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
A Cobalt Maxijet, i.e. the original Italian(?) and not Chinese, is really your only option. Everything else is a pile of poo poo.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Woah, thanks for the quick response. That is exactly the solution I needed - picking up two! Also picking up two Hydor Flo water deflectors to replace the stock heads. I've read that you just have to maintain them with a quick rinse on water changes to avoid deposits messing with the teeth.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
My problem with those has never been with the teeth, but they slip right off of the return pipe nozzle after a while.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So these past two weeks have been devastating. We had gotten some liverock from PETCO and went back later to pick up some chemicals and discovered that they had a massive ich breakout. Sadly out tank got hit as well. We lost everything but our crustacions, a few mollies and our salt acclimated Dragon goby due to the stress, ich, and ammonia spikes. Our tank is now stabilized and all of my parameters are perfect but my dragon goby is spending his time floating at the top of the tank breathing air and I dont know why. Like I said all of the parameters are perfect and we have a poo poo ton of stuff bubbling in the tank so I don't think that it is an oxygen issue.

All told we have lost about $500 worth of fish including our bullet goby and our emperor angel and we are devastated. I am so worried about my dragon goby. Does anyone know what could be the issue with the water if the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, Ph, and salinity are optimal. I also have noticed that our macroalgae and decorations has a white chalky residue on it. I thankfully was able to kill the icy before it was fully established but we are going to be waiting til April to restock. I don't know what I will do if we lose our beloved dragon goby.

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013

jadebullet posted:

So these past two weeks have been devastating. We had gotten some liverock from PETCO and went back later to pick up some chemicals and discovered that they had a massive ich breakout. Sadly out tank got hit as well. We lost everything but our crustacions, a few mollies and our salt acclimated Dragon goby due to the stress, ich, and ammonia spikes. Our tank is now stabilized and all of my parameters are perfect but my dragon goby is spending his time floating at the top of the tank breathing air and I dont know why. Like I said all of the parameters are perfect and we have a poo poo ton of stuff bubbling in the tank so I don't think that it is an oxygen issue.

All told we have lost about $500 worth of fish including our bullet goby and our emperor angel and we are devastated. I am so worried about my dragon goby. Does anyone know what could be the issue with the water if the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, Ph, and salinity are optimal. I also have noticed that our macroalgae and decorations has a white chalky residue on it. I thankfully was able to kill the icy before it was fully established but we are going to be waiting til April to restock. I don't know what I will do if we lose our beloved dragon goby.

Sorry to hear about your losses; that always sucks. I love your idea about waiting until the ich dies off before you restock.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Castaign posted:

Shimek's PocketExpert Guide to Marine Invertebrates may be what you're looking for (http://www.amazon.com/PocketExpert-Guide-Marine-Invertebrates-Essential/dp/1890087661/ref=pd_sim_b_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=0XXMHTFJW230QNGBHQ31).

My copy is from 2004, and it looks like the most recent is 2005, so don't expect the most current info, but I think Shimek does an excellent job of general categorization along with general husbandry. He does tend towards the philosophy of "leave that in the ocean, yo" for more difficult and rare specimens; for me that's just fine, but it's something you should be aware of.

Picked this book up, and it's great, thanks for the suggestion. You weren't kidding about his stance on leaving things in the ocean. This guy's tank must just be a chunk of live rock.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Slugworth posted:

You weren't kidding about his stance on leaving things in the ocean. This guy's tank must just be a chunk of live rock.

Yep. However, the upshot is that he usually provides a clear explanation for why he feels a particular species is not suitable for the aquarium trade, and I found that that was really helpful in making an informed decision.

Hearing someone say that "you shouldn't keep cocoa worm feather dusters; they don't do well in captivity" isn't very useful. Reading "cocoa worm feather dusters are poor aquarium specimens because most aquarists don't have a system that provides sufficient nutrition and are unable or unwilling to target feed" gives you adequate information to decide on your own whether the animal would thrive in your tank.

Although, to be fair, a lot of the animals Shimek advises against (cocoa worms, goniopora, non-photosynthetic gorgonians) were, even with my best efforts, less than excellent animals and required far more work than I anticipated.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Bought a book to keep from making bad purchases, got talked into a carnation at the LFS.

So it goes.

A little annoyed, but the guy has been giving me great advice for a couple years with my freshwater tanks, so he is allowed the occasional terrible advice I suppose. And of course, I am just as at fault for impulse buying. From what I can tell, I have essentially zero chance of this thing surviving for very long.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Honestly? Just find a local aquarium to donate it to. Unless you are already running a non-photosynthetic tank or some other heavily fed system, this is really a no-go. Save the animal and give it to someone who has the capacity to care for it.

Also, don't listen to that dude at the LFS anymore. There's mistakes, and then there's MISTAKES. This falls into the latter.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Feels good to finally have things up and running!

Tank on Dec. 1st:

Tank this afternoon:

Haven't seen even a hint of bryopsis. I'm so glad that I took the extra two months to eradicate it before putting any fish or corals into the tank. Can't imagine what a pain in the rear end it would be to try and get rid of it now! Tech M's magic impurity saved the day. You called it on the deflectors, api. Came home to see one off of the return and laying in the middle of the toadstool!

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Castaign posted:

Honestly? Just find a local aquarium to donate it to. Unless you are already running a non-photosynthetic tank or some other heavily fed system, this is really a no-go. Save the animal and give it to someone who has the capacity to care for it.

Also, don't listen to that dude at the LFS anymore. There's mistakes, and then there's MISTAKES. This falls into the latter.
I ended up returning it to the LFS and talking to the owner, who was a bit surprised his employee had sold it to me. I am not writing them off, but will be (as I should be anyway) more cautious there in the future.

I noticed a tiny little blue starfish snuck into my tank. I have read a lot of negative things about starfish - Should I be concerned or will he be pretty harmless until he gets a bit bigger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Forgive the cell pic, finally spent some time cleaning up the glass after a mega GHA outbreak. Things are finally under control again. That drat slimer, it's started to sprout new branches out of the already huge branches. This is a 40 breeder for scale, the slimer is probably a foot+ wide.

That was just earlier this week, here's the frag it started from in October 2011.

Here's the tank in May, 2012.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 9, 2014

• Locked thread