Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wait, CineD had a change in leadership?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

MrAristocrates posted:

Wait, CineD had a change in leadership?

Yes, Penismightier stepped down and I'm not sure who replaced him. There might of been some drama or reason given but if there was I missed it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My safe word is "eggplant", fwiw

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Irish Joe posted:

You shouldn't ever feel the need to defend this (:nws:) from people.

See I can take that multiple ways: It's either something I shouldn't WANT to defend (because it's disgusting) (and I agree) or it's something I shouldn't NEED to defend (because it's amazing) (and I also agree).

Like I said, I get very weird when talking about an anime I like.

PriorMarcus posted:

Yes, Penismightier stepped down and I'm not sure who replaced him. There might of been some drama or reason given but if there was I missed it.

Yeah, Vargo took his place.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

GraPar posted:

Although a totally different kind of show other than being animated, Steven Universe had been consistently phenomenal in many different ways all of this season.

I completely agree. The second episode of Steven Universe is still the best, but they've done a very good job of making an otherwise unremarkable concept (it's essentially a magical girl show, except it's a magical boy instead) into something new and worth watching and the setting and characters are just the right amount of bizarre without going to far with it (a trap Adventure Time falls into sometimes).

Last week's episode, Tiger Millionaire, was a pretty good example of that (the title makes... slightly more sense in context).

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I like Steven Universe because it's fairly chill and relaxed despite often featuring some apocalyptic crisis. Steven feels like a real kid instead of being unbearably shrill or smug, he and his family all get along and love each other without it being saccharine, and it never feels too twee or needlessly depressing.

It's a breath of fresh air compared to CN's other popular output like Adventure Time, where everybody's screaming and being wacky and random when they aren't having maudlin episodes about how tragic and dark everybody's backstories are. Of course Steven Universe only has like half a season under its belt so I'm sure two years from now I'll be rolling my eyes after it vanishes up its own rear end in the name of pandering to the adult fans.

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 30, 2014

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I feel like it kinda already is playing to an adult audience. The David Bowie ripoff homage theme song, the dark aspect of Stephen's backstory (his mother died giving birth to him and he was basically raised by her friends because his dad is a total deadbeat), and some of the jokes are definitely designed to play to an older audience.

It does play to all ages better than Adventure Time does, though.

Marvin_Gardens
May 25, 2005

Hey are you guys on that "Broad City"? I think it's really good, but there's no thread about it.

I'm going back to the Games, ok later you all.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Marvin_Gardens posted:

Hey are you guys on that "Broad City"? I think it's really good, but there's no thread about it.

Yeah there is.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3604171

And yes, Broad City is great thus far.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Marvin_Gardens posted:

I'm going back to the Games, ok later you all.
There's a thread for it! :) The CC Power Hour thread which covers both that and Workaholics. I don't think the show's all that funny myself, but a bunch of other goons seem to be digging it so far.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah okay fine, I'll bite. What's first?

scary ghost dog posted:

He's not gonna say Adventure Time, but it is.
Nah it's definitely Steven Universe.

Adventure Time's... time... has passed

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I know goons tend to skew younger than their demographic, but I don't get the appeal of Steven Universe at all.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Adventure Time's... time... has passed

Adventure Time was better when it was about a boy and his dog having fun adventures. I appreciate the deeper and more introspective direction the series has taken over the last few seasons, but I can't remember the last time I enjoyed watching an episode.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Supernatural spinoff will be called Supernatural: Tribes and will air its back door pilot later this season.

quote:

The backdoor pilot -- which will air as an episode during Season 9 -- will explore the different hunter and monster cultures in Chicago, and how the two come into conflict with each other.

I don't have high hopes for the quality of this. I don't think Supernatural the show would be nearly as good without the its two leads, especially Jensen Ackles, who is fun to watch no matter how stupid the episode. It also sounds like its going to be a bit more serious, and one of Supernatural's saving graces is that it always knows when to step back and stop taking itself so seriously.

In other important news, Delta's new in-flight safety video has Alf in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eduNjwNvcH4

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Irish Joe posted:

I know goons tend to skew younger than their demographic, but I don't get the appeal of Steven Universe at all.

I like lots of parts of Steven Universe but it's still reeeeally kid's show-y, and has a lot of mediocre pacing and dead air. I like the general laid-back vibe of it but it's yet to be interested in constantly working on more than one level like AT.

The music's loving rad, though.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

zoux posted:

The Supernatural spinoff will be called Supernatural: Tribes and will air its back door pilot later this season.

I don't have high hopes for the quality of this. I don't think Supernatural the show would be nearly as good without the its two leads, especially Jensen Ackles, who is fun to watch no matter how stupid the episode. It also sounds like its going to be a bit more serious, and one of Supernatural's saving graces is that it always knows when to step back and stop taking itself so seriously.

In other important news, Delta's new in-flight safety video has Alf in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eduNjwNvcH4

If they can somehow turn it into Supernatural: The Dresden Files I would be all over it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm pretty sure the Delta video I saw last year was pretty amusing too, always a good thing for these kinds of videos. Doesn't do much to sell the Economy Comfort seats though, they still looked cramped as hell, so I'm glad we didn't upgrade to those but got bumped to the emergency aisle instead. Bliss.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Remember Alf? He's back. In Delta safety video form.

That's what I should've put.

Also: Why were the Tuesday Fox comedies off this week?

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 30, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

Remember Alf? He's back. In Delta safety video form.

That's what I should've put.

Also: Why were the Tuesday Fox comedies off this week?

State of the Union.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Thanks Obama.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
New Girl and Brooklyn are airing two episodes in three days come Sunday anyway.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Bown posted:

I like lots of parts of Steven Universe but it's still reeeeally kid's show-y, and has a lot of mediocre pacing and dead air. I like the general laid-back vibe of it but it's yet to be interested in constantly working on more than one level like AT.

The music's loving rad, though.

Yeah, I gave Stephen Universe a couple of episodes and I wouldn't call it "bad" but boy is it boring.

zoux posted:

I don't have high hopes for the quality of this. I don't think Supernatural the show would be nearly as good without the its two leads, especially Jensen Ackles, who is fun to watch no matter how stupid the episode.

I'm only up to season 6, but this is my single favorite moment of the series so far:

He just has a way of selling the poo poo out of the goofiest lines.

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 30, 2014

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I recently (like, this week) got one of my best friends to start watching Supernatural. She's already head over heels for Dean.

I look forward to giving the spinoff a chance, though it's probably too much to hope for to have Ghostfacers be regular/recurring characters, or Garth and his new pack.

SN meets Dresden would be a hell of a thing if they could pull it off.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Manos del Sino posted:

I recently (like, this week) got one of my best friends to start watching Supernatural. She's already head over heels for Dean.
I look forward to giving the spinoff a chance, though it's probably too much to hope for to have Ghostfacers be regular/recurring characters, or Garth and his new pack.

SN meets Dresden would be a hell of a thing if they could pull it off.

I think I read something about Ghostfacers returning this season, and Garth's in Wisconsin, so even with my limited familiarity with mid-west geography, I imagine that's a stretch.

Interesting that the backdoor is only introducing one character.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm a Ghostfacers hater :colbert:

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

devoir posted:

I think I read something about Ghostfacers returning this season, and Garth's in Wisconsin, so even with my limited familiarity with mid-west geography, I imagine that's a stretch.

Wisconsin and Illinois border each other, so it's not that big of a stretch. At the least they could justify an appearance here or there.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Manos del Sino posted:

Wisconsin and Illinois border each other, so it's not that big of a stretch. At the least they could justify an appearance here or there.

Well, it serves me right for not just looking at Google Maps.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

The best moment ever on Supernatural:

The dick slap sounds really sell it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dean, gruffly, we've got to get all three of that crap.

Don't watch if you aren't through season 6 but this is one of my all time favorite TV scenes ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka2AMceJoI4

Actually the whole episode is solid gold.

New Cosmos trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb5tdqplTqQ

Please try and refrain from the same tired debates and comments about Seth McFarland.

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 30, 2014

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

zoux posted:

New Cosmos trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb5tdqplTqQ

Please try and refrain from the same tired debates and comments about Seth McFarland.

I'm absolutely going to watch the new Cosmos but Neil deGrasse Tyson is really no substitute for Carl Sagan.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

smg77 posted:

I'm absolutely going to watch the new Cosmos but Neil deGrasse Tyson is really no substitute for Carl Sagan.

Yeah but he's as close as we can come without a time machine.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

zoux posted:

I really like Bill Nye but he doesn't really have the gravitas to pull it off either. Honestly, though, nobody else would measure up to Sagan.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm sure that, for that reason, some people will say, "why remake it then" but with Cosmos it makes more sense to update it (and periodically into the future as well) than other remakes. We've come so far in terms of our understanding of the universe since the original Cosmos and what they were trying to do with SFX in the original show can be accomplished so much better today, that I think it's appropriate to do so.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Maybe it's my British bias but I think that Brian Cox would be a good fit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Does Neal degrasse smoke as much weed as Carl Sagan did? This question is vital to my potential enjoyment of Cosmos.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I was certain that Tyson was writing it, and Seth MacFarlane would perform the material in a Sagan impression... Maybe that was just a fever dream...

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

zoux posted:

I'm sure that, for that reason, some people will say, "why remake it then" but with Cosmos it makes more sense to update it (and periodically into the future as well) than other remakes. We've come so far in terms of our understanding of the universe since the original Cosmos and what they were trying to do with SFX in the original show can be accomplished so much better today, that I think it's appropriate to do so.

I absolutely agree with you and didn't mean to imply that they shouldn't have bothered updating it (I've just never been a big fan of Tyson). The original series (and book) had a huge impact on me when I was a kid.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

zoux posted:

Leonard Nimoy should narrate everything. :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I was at a house party on Tuesday when the snowpocalypse hit Atlanta, and during local news coverage, someone asked what the thing was below the NBC logo. The Olympic rings.

At that moment, I knew I needed to get out, icy roads be damned.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Josh Lyman posted:

I was at a house party on Tuesday when the snowpocalypse hit Atlanta, and during local news coverage, someone asked what the thing was below the NBC logo. The Olympic rings.

Good, the Olympics is corrupt as poo poo, let's forget about it and make it irrelevant.

Young kids today really know what's up, not attached to poo poo yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Josh Lyman posted:

At that moment, I knew I needed to get out, icy roads be damned.

Ah, the universal (pun not intended) symbol for "thar be reruns on tv this week for no good reason."

NBC loses money on the Olympics at this point if I remember 2012 right. The most memorable part of which was the horrible logo that was Lisa blowing Bart, and Mittens' dancing horse.

• Locked thread