Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angus725
Jan 5, 2014

Oooh, they're coming to Toronto in May.

Any suggestions when I should buy the tickets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Soon as, at it became difficult to get good seats for the shows over here and a couple sold out.

Also Rave Tapes hit #10 in the UK album chart, not bad for a post-rock band (who aren't Sigur Ros anyway).

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Booo, no west coast dates.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

There's actually dates for both Portland and Vancouver, however if you're talking about California, they posted an addendum with more dates.

Bliggers-
Dec 1, 2006
Back in business

angus725 posted:

Oooh, they're coming to Toronto in May.

Any suggestions when I should buy the tickets?

No rush, I don't think they usually sell out. I've been to the last 4 Toronto shows and will be hitting this one too because I won tickets through the promoter. You should follow Collective Concerts on fb/twitter, they will likely give more away closer to the show.

CC also hooked me with pairs for the Black Angels & Roky Erikson and Gary Numan.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Jehde posted:

There's actually dates for both Portland and Vancouver, however if you're talking about California, they posted an addendum with more dates.

Oh, hell yeah! That's definitely more feasible.

E: Wait... gently caress that's the same night as QOTSA in San Francisco.
Decisions...

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Russian Circles is headlining a US Tour! :woop::woop::woop::woop:

I so very much have to see them in Cleveland.

e for link: http://artistdata.sonicbids.com/russian-circles/shows

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

zxqv8 posted:

Russian Circles is headlining a US Tour! :woop::woop::woop::woop:

I so very much have to see them in Cleveland.

e for link: http://artistdata.sonicbids.com/russian-circles/shows
Yeah, they're playing here on the 10th of February and I'm so glad because I've always wanted to see them but never have. And Memorial is one of my favorite albums they've put out, so what a great first time to see them!

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
I actually don't have Memorial. I'll have to get on that.

So so so so so keen for Jakob to come out with a release date for their new album and Australian tour.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
How is A Silver Mt Zion live? They're playing Union Pool in Brooklyn and I want to get tickets, but I'm broke and wondering if I should charge them now or wait a week til I get paid (or they sell out)

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
A Silver Mount Zion are very good live, although I've seen people complain about all the audience interaction that Efrim does, he'll stop between every song and talk to the audience about whatever which I thought was pretty cool. However, they could easily fit another song in their set with all the time that takes up and some people would prefer that.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm going to see them in a few weeks and yes, I'd far prefer it if they were more like GY!BE in that respect: just play the songs.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yeah I don't remember Godspeed saying anything when I saw them for the entire hour and a half or so that they played. Maybe "thanks" at the end, but that's it.

That's how shows should be.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Stage banter is nice if the person doing it is engaging--Bomb the Music Industry! and Opeth come to mind. Sometimes you want a break.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

When I saw El Ten Eleven opening up for Bonobo, it was really hilarious because they made a point to say before one of their songs that it "wasn't made with any computers", and then Bonobo comes on stage after them blasting computer music. He had a live band with a vocalist and everything, but it was still funny.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah I don't remember Godspeed saying anything when I saw them for the entire hour and a half or so that they played. Maybe "thanks" at the end, but that's it.

That's how shows should be.

Seen them twice, don't remember one word. Maybe this is Efrim's valve for getting all that out.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
Godspeed doesn't even have mics set up through which they could say something.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Starsnostars posted:

A Silver Mount Zion are very good live, although I've seen people complain about all the audience interaction that Efrim does, he'll stop between every song and talk to the audience about whatever which I thought was pretty cool. However, they could easily fit another song in their set with all the time that takes up and some people would prefer that.

He does talk a lot. But every time I've seen them he's also been pretty funny.

Circa 2006, at a SMZ show, some fan yells "WHEN IS GODSPEED GETTING BACK TOGETHER!"

Efrim: "I don't know, when are you getting back together with your ex-girlfriend?"

Anyway, holy gently caress the new SMZ is their best yet. It's like "13 Blues 2", which is a drat great thing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I just got around to listening to gently caress Off Get Free for the first time last night. What We Loved Was Not Enough is definitely my favorite new song of the year so far. I had to listen to that one like 3 or 4 times in a row because I liked it so much.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I just got around to listening to gently caress Off Get Free for the first time last night. What We Loved Was Not Enough is definitely my favorite new song of the year so far. I had to listen to that one like 3 or 4 times in a row because I liked it so much.

What surprised me is that Pitchfork gave it a good review. I can't remember the last time they gave a post-rock album above a 6 or 7, and if they did it was probably only because they let Ned actually write a review.

e: Well, to be fair, Silver Mt. Zion haven't really been post-rock for a few albums now, starting with 13 Blues they really committed to the blues/hard rock/gospel mix. Actually, even Horses in the Sky wasn't what people would normally call post-rock.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My only previous experience with SMZ was their debut, which I wasn't big on, so I was surprised at how much I enjoyed gently caress Off Get Free. Definitely my current album of the year.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Henchman of Santa posted:

My only previous experience with SMZ was their debut, which I wasn't big on, so I was surprised at how much I enjoyed gently caress Off Get Free. Definitely my current album of the year.

I think it's very safe to say you'd enjoy the three albums prior to the new one, at the very least. Around the "Pretty Little Lightning Paw" EP they got into the heavy, chanty sound. The debut and second album, while I love them, are quite different to all their other output. Definitely at least try Thirteen Blues and Kollaps.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
They've never been post rock you nutters.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ICHIBAHN posted:

They've never been post rock you nutters.

The first and second album had songs on it that fit as well in with "post-rock" as bands like Labradford, who were always called post-rock.

"Sit in the Middle of Three Galloping Dogs" definitely fits the label as well as, I don't know, Dirty Three.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_Mot5iGloY

e: I guess maybe you gotta realize that at one point everything from Trans Am to Fly Pan Am was lumped into the post-rock category.

precision fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 8, 2014

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Aye it's a shite genre.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

ICHIBAHN posted:

Aye it's a shite genre.

Yeah even if you think about it, Godspeed sounds more like later Swans than it does any other post rock band (except maybe Riding Alone for Thousands of Miles). It's a useful term that most means "stuff that people who like post rock think other people who like post rock might like", but it's so ill defined it borders on useless.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Sounds like it's time to break out this old chestnut!

Constellation Records posted:

"This is our 'post-rock' -- a term that must be construed politically in equal measure to its referencing of some diffuse 'instrumental' or 'deconstructed' musical aesthetic. 'Indie rock' was never a genre and its bastardisation as an aesthetic category was one of countless elegant corporate-intellectual coups during the 1990s. Sadly, all too many hipper-than-now taste-makers were happily complicit, ready to replace 'indie' with 'post' and thus help extinguish any abiding concern about the economies that ground and contextualise rock music. So gently caress post-rock, and the smooth untroubled consumption it enables. Independent rock as a utopic analogue for social organisation is our mandate."

I agree 100%.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

But I need my handy two-word phrase to lump hundreds of fairly disparate bands into one category!

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Do ASMZ play with a support act? How long do they give you?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Whatever "post rock" means, this sounds like it to me and if anyone can ID the band/song I would appreciate it, tia

(the multimillion dollar house this is an ad for is also pretty cool to look at!)

Organic Modern Estate

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BobHoward posted:

Whatever "post rock" means, this sounds like it to me and if anyone can ID the band/song I would appreciate it, tia

(the multimillion dollar house this is an ad for is also pretty cool to look at!)

Organic Modern Estate

That song is awesome and definitely rock of a postal sort. I wanna say it's old Do Make Say Think but it's not. drat it! Someone solve this mystery!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I finally saw Russian Circles live for the first time tonight. The sound ranged from just okay to really loving great. It was kind of a 50/50 mix. Half was just alright and the other half was incredible.

The crowd was pretty loving weird. 90% of it was white dudes, which makes sense, but there were several bro dudes, drunk guys that started a pit and literally got into a fistfight with people who tried to stay out of the pit, drunk girls that were making out with each other on the floor, guys and their girlfriends who were PDAing throughout the whole show, etc. The bro dudes were the ones who went craziest out of probably the entire crowd, and by went crazy, I mean they were throwing up bullhorns, waving their hands around a couple inches away from the guitarist and bassist, yelling douchey remarks both in between and during songs (at one point one of them yelled "Play something in Russian, Circles!" :ughh: ), etc. Although everyone in that bitch went nuts for songs like Deficit and Youngblood.

Overall it wasn't the worst post-metal show I've been to but it wasn't the best either. I'd been waiting to see them for years and it felt like they delivered in some ways but not others. Maybe I'd see them again, maybe I wouldn't. I don't know. I'm not already looking forward to seeing them again, though.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Feb 11, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If there's one thing I've learned about post-metal bands, it's that they have some truly awful fans. I think the worst offender in this regard, that I've personally seen, is Jesu.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

I saw 65daysofstatic in Sheffield years ago and there was a guy literally popping pills in the front row.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Stoat posted:

I saw 65daysofstatic in Sheffield years ago and there was a guy literally popping pills in the front row.

Why is that bad? I'd see that band on Ecstasy or painkillers, both would be interesting ways to enhance it. Or is "popping pills" associated with a certain sort of person in the UK?

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Has there been much talk of Cloudkicker in here? The man behind it put together a short tour in April with Intronaut as the band, and I decided I need to go to it.

http://blog.cloudkickermusic.com/post/74729258459/tour-details
http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/570496

Turns out I'm seeing the first show on March 29th before the tour officially kicks off :smaug:. I live in the man's home town, so this is cool as all hell. I'm kinda excited for it, even though it feels sorta far away.

http://cloudkickermusic.com/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hfm_ROTbUCw

I'm not huge on Intronaut, but I remain hopeful they'll be a good fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1LmYsCzAgw

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

precision posted:

If there's one thing I've learned about post-metal bands, it's that they have some truly awful fans. I think the worst offender in this regard, that I've personally seen, is Jesu.

This is disappointing to hear, I still haven't seen Jesu, and I love his music. People who talk through post-rock/metal shows are generally the most irritating, especially when it's during the quiet parts.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

nomapple posted:

This is disappointing to hear, I still haven't seen Jesu, and I love his music. People who talk through post-rock/metal shows are generally the most irritating, especially when it's during the quiet parts.

I think I said it before, probably in this thread, but people talking all the way through Eluvium when he was supporting EITS in Manchester made me sad. I love Eluvium but could barely hear him. :smith:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New ...Of Sinking Ships album coming on 3/25 and it sure does sound pretty so far:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP9kFfali50
Doesn't sound as simple as the first album, which I really loved about that album, but I dig this too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

zxqv8 posted:

Has there been much talk of Cloudkicker in here? The man behind it put together a short tour in April with Intronaut as the band, and I decided I need to go to it.

They're also touring with TesseracT, who in my opinion are (along with Uneven Structure, Vildhjarta, and Ever Forthright) one of the few really good bands to come out of the "djent" scene.