Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Not the best quality (seems to be recorded with a cellphone or something) but here's the full OP for ToQger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMoLmuRAbzQ (Just the audio, sadly. The video portion is just pointed at the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's not quite as good as Vamola Kyoryuger to me, but I'll wait to pass full judgement when I hear it in a better quality/in the show. It's still quite good.

ToQ is gonna rock.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Waffleman_ posted:

It's not quite as good as Vamola Kyoryuger to me, but I'll wait to pass full judgement when I hear it in a better quality/in the show. It's still quite good.

ToQ is gonna rock.

More like ToQ is gonna roll.

(I'm very excited.)

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Waffleman_ posted:

ToQ is gonna rock.

Most themes seem to get better when you here them on a regular basis. I Didn't care for Gaim's theme for a while and now I can "sing" it even if my video is muted.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Power Rider trademark issued by Saban has expired. Seems like they weren't able to do anything with Kamen Rider. It's almost a shame, because I'd like to see the series get another chance in America, but then again, it's Saban.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
They might have bought the name just so that no one could try to use it to compete against them, to be fair.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If that was the case, they probably would have renewed it. They filed the trademark around the time they got the Power Rangers rights back and made a deal with Nick, so I think they might have just been giving themselves room for expansion for if they could get the rights to Kamen Rider and either they never bothered or they couldn't get the rights.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Waffleman_ posted:

If that was the case, they probably would have renewed it. They filed the trademark around the time they got the Power Rangers rights back and made a deal with Nick, so I think they might have just been giving themselves room for expansion for if they could get the rights to Kamen Rider and either they never bothered or they couldn't get the rights.

Sounds they could have done the Decade crossover for Samurai but ended up skipping it.

Apollove
May 31, 2013
Oh man speaking of samurai, me and my friend were talking about it and Shinkenger, and how Shinkenger is of course way way better. And we were talking about the Shinken brown episode and "What if they adapted it for english" And we basically came up with instead of being a caucasian richard brown would have to be japanese, leading to:

"Hey you can't be a samurai, you're japanese!"

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012

Apollove posted:

Oh man speaking of samurai, me and my friend were talking about it and Shinkenger, and how Shinkenger is of course way way better. And we were talking about the Shinken brown episode and "What if they adapted it for english" And we basically came up with instead of being a caucasian richard brown would have to be japanese, leading to:

Alternatively, Samurai could have been about Richard Brown coming back to the states or wherever, turning out to be some eccentric rich dude, and using his money and what he learned to create a new team of rangers.

Also, I'm gonna be a little disappointed if the cast of Tokkyuger don't dance to Kyoryuger's end song like the cast of Gaim did.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Can I just say how much I love Monster and Juo doing anything in Bioman? It's so rare to have two villains who are just bros to each other.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.

Apollove posted:

Bulk was the logical conclusion of Richard Brown

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I haven't seen the new episode of Kyoryuger yet, I watch them on Sunday, but I'm having trouble getting over the last one. Has there ever been a Henshin as amazing as Dantetsu's? Stone faced, spinning the barrel with his fist, then playing the GigaGaburevolver like a goddamn guitar. The cheering was uproarious at my place. I don't know if I'll ever be the same.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Has there ever been a Henshin as amazing as Dantetsu's? Stone faced, spinning the barrel with his fist, then playing the GigaGaburevolver like a goddamn guitar. The cheering was uproarious at my place. I don't know if I'll ever be the same.

I like the Boukenger's Acellular use when they use it 'in action'. They use it Kind of like that episode where D returns and King, Amy, and Purple use the enemies sword, the wall, etc. to spin the revolver.

Or GekiViolet's bell.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I haven't seen the new episode of Kyoryuger yet, I watch them on Sunday, but I'm having trouble getting over the last one. Has there ever been a Henshin as amazing as Dantetsu's? Stone faced, spinning the barrel with his fist, then playing the GigaGaburevolver like a goddamn guitar. The cheering was uproarious at my place. I don't know if I'll ever be the same.

He didn't dance; gently caress him and everything he stands for.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I like the Boukenger's Acellular use when they use it 'in action'. They use it Kind of like that episode where D returns and King, Amy, and Purple use the enemies sword, the wall, etc. to spin the revolver.

Or GekiViolet's bell.
I haven't seen Boukenger or Gekiranger myself, but a good friend of mine who's seen a lot more Toku than me loves both of those morphers for the same reasons. (I know you didn't list a reason for GekiViolet's, but he loves GekiViolet and GekiViolet is apparently awesome.) I've always loved alternate morphing styles, like the using-other-things-to-spin examples, though sadly they don't happen especially often.

Brother Entropy posted:

He didn't dance; gently caress him and everything he stands for.
It's understandable to feel this way, but he did tap his feet while rocking out and did the spin, which is close enough for me!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I haven't seen Boukenger or Gekiranger myself, but a good friend of mine who's seen a lot more Toku than me loves both of those morphers for the same reasons. (I know you didn't list a reason for GekiViolet's, but he loves GekiViolet and GekiViolet is apparently awesome.) I've always loved alternate morphing styles, like the using-other-things-to-spin examples, though sadly they don't happen especially often.

It's understandable to feel this way, but he did tap his feet while rocking out and did the spin, which is close enough for me!

This is why I love Geki Violet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZqsINTWD_o

It's so simple but so good

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
:tviv:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uokHKC0oY4

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

As much as I feel the whole "Attack on Titan OP goes with anything" deal has run its course, that massive pose compilation during the guitar solo is great, especially watching the film quality slowly improve from show to show.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Pacific Rim footage at 1:17. :v:

Not really caring about Attack on Titan I'll admit it has a pretty good OP and this is a pretty great video.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Cernunnos posted:

Pacific Rim footage at 1:17. :v:

The joke is that the lyric there is "Jaeger."

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Waffleman_ posted:

The joke is that the lyric there is "Jaeger."

My mind was too focused on parsing footage for me to make out any lyrics specifically.

I did notice the sudden German halfway through but beyond that it was all white noise as I tried to make out what I was seeing in all these quick flashes of various shows.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

That is one hell of a video. Just watch it and try not to regret the parts of your life you've spent not watching Tokusatsu.

I remember a good few years back when I saw threads here for shows like Decade and then W but never paid them any mind because I knew and cared nothing for whatever a Kamen Rider was. I didn't start watching until Gokaiger and Fourze, what ground I could have covered by now! Stupid life.

The pose montage and various teams lifting up at the end where the jumping is in the AoT OP are by far my favorite bits.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I didn't start watching until Gokaiger and Fourze, what ground I could have covered by now!

I first got into tokusatsu from 4chan's /m/. Started with Fourze, then decided to give Gokaiger a shot. If I had gotten into that sort of thing, I could have caught Gokaiger while it was still airing! That would have been a blast. :arghfist::mad:

Actually, it seems like Fourze/Gokaiger was a great era for those two. I've heard of a lot of people getting into it from those two shows, and they're pretty great on their own, leading to a nice "combo". I'd say that Gaim/Kyoryuger is a bit similar, or maybe Gaim/Tokyuger if it's even better than Kyoryuger, but for some reason I feel that Fourze/Gokaiger as a whole was better than what Gaim/Kyoryuger is now. Have there been others like that, where both shows were strong, and them airing together really was great? Maybe Shinkenger/W?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Serperoth posted:

I first got into tokusatsu from 4chan's /m/. Started with Fourze, then decided to give Gokaiger a shot. If I had gotten into that sort of thing, I could have caught Gokaiger while it was still airing! That would have been a blast. :arghfist::mad:

Actually, it seems like Fourze/Gokaiger was a great era for those two. I've heard of a lot of people getting into it from those two shows, and they're pretty great on their own, leading to a nice "combo". I'd say that Gaim/Kyoryuger is a bit similar, or maybe Gaim/Tokyuger if it's even better than Kyoryuger, but for some reason I feel that Fourze/Gokaiger as a whole was better than what Gaim/Kyoryuger is now. Have there been others like that, where both shows were strong, and them airing together really was great? Maybe Shinkenger/W?

Starting during Shinkenger/W would have been amazing, I think. Personally, I think Gokaiger/Fourze is a popular starting point because Gokaiger's anniversary series status and use-all-the-powers concept was so appealing to people who might otherwise have had little or no interest in Sentai or Tokusatsu.

Personally, I watched some MMPR and a little of the series' after, but I was never good at watching series' on a week to week basis, so I inevitably fell out of it. I had a friend who watched a whole lot more of the PR franchise though, so it was as much for his sake as my own curiosity that we started watching Gokaiger, which then led me to where I am now after I ended up enjoying it, checked out Fourze after it started appearing on OT's site, and then began delving into the backlog.

Fourze was a good starting point too, though, given that it didn't have the nostalgia factor to latch onto. Gentaro is an incredibly likable main character, so even though the rest of the cast didn't get to do quite as much and the story didn't really start until near the end, he was worth the price of admission alone. (I loved Fourze all around, though.) I watched Fourze, OOOs, and Double by myself though, my friends didn't join me until Wizard. I'm not sure if I would have been as keen to dive into the KR backlog had Wizard been my first exposure, though I like to think I would have. I started watching Double during Fourze since I wanted more than one new episode a week, and Wizard certainly would have left me wanting more. :v: (Liked Wizard too! Just not as much.)

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I started watching toku stuff with episode 1 of Gokaiger. Once Fourze started, I jumped onto that, too.

What a glorious time that was. :swoon:

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
I got hooked when I found out about Accel, I saw a clip from his debut episode and flipped my poo poo out at how ridiculous the entire scene was.

"This guy looks pretty serious. Why is that sword so heavy? Can he even swing that? Okay, he transformed into a red robot. I dig it. Why is the Kaiji announcer yelling all those words?

wait WHAT JUST HAPPENED HE TRANSFORMED INTO A MOTORCYCLE :supaburn:"

Later on I found out about Shinkenger and I was immediately captivated by their suit designs. From that point on my fate was sealed. :unsmigghh:

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I started with Faiz/Sailor Moon/GranSazer/Dekaranger on TVNihon. Then I would periodically check in. I think the one I followed the longest after Faiz was Den-O followed by Decade.

Then when W/Goeseiger was airing I went back and finished Decade and caught up with W just in time for the finale and to live-watch OOOs/Gokaiger. The series after that left me cold, I still have to finish Go-busters, Wizard and Fourze. But I'm caught up on Gaim and Kyoryuger. Can't wait for TrainRangers.

Crimson Dragoon
Jan 24, 2012

Sometimes you have to go against your family to save the world.
I started with Kabuto. Tendou was just great throughout the series and KaGAmi's development into a Rider was pretty well-done. I didn't really keep up with Fourze and Wizard, but I went back on the Rider binge with Gaim, which is pretty drat good so far.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I started with Decade & Shikenger and haven't looked back since(oddly enough I prefer Decade to Shikenger these days)

Also finally got around to watching Kyoryuger and just finished episode 6 and I have to say Ramires is best Sentai

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

If we're linking awesome MAD videos of tokusatsu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIH1txDk1u0

Kuso Meriken
Jun 30, 2007
Are we still bragging talking about when we started watching toku? How about '96 with Ohranger / B-Fighter back when metal heroes and kamen rider were separate! I'm old...

My opinion is slowly changing on which final arc I like more, Shinkenger vs. Kyoryuger. Kyoryuger is winning me over more. Shinkenger had a twist and the relationship the main characters developed really paid off during that in a satisfying way. But Kyoryuger is having all sorts of stuff that I didn't realize was being set up pay off. Feels like kind of like an arc of One Piece in that way.

I wish Kamen Rider did this more. I feel like in that series the deus ex machina is revealed three episodes prior to the finale and makes everything before it kind of not matter. I'm not saying every Kamen Rider did this but the dissapointments really stick out in my mind as like Faiz and Kabuto.
Not saying there aren't sentai guilty of this as well, but it's rare I get into or care about a sentai that ends badly to begin with. Generally if I'm not liking the beginning I don't get too invested. Where as in Kamen Rider I usually get pretty invested in most seasons making the bad endings stick out.

P.S. I'm really glad Gaim turned out to not be about dancing.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Also finally got around to watching Kyoryuger and just finished episode 6 and I have to say Ramires is best Sentai

I just caught up to the latest episode. drat, I'm going to miss this show already when it ends. To me, every Kyoryuger is the best (even Souji).

I personally started with Kabuto. It was pretty fun, despite the TV-N subbing, and got a lot better when Kagami finally became a Rider. Wouldn't come back to it again for a while until a friend recommended Decade and W to me, but I'm sorta glad I did.

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
A friend of mine talked to me about W around when that was airing and I checked out the first episode and thought, "huh alright that's cool I guess", then he later showed me stage show OOOs stuff focusing on the sing-songy belt and I thought "haha that is ridiculous", and then I didn't actually watch any of them until I got hard into it halfway through Fourze. I'd been aware of the concept of Kamen Rider, mostly just the look of Rider 1 and thought he looked cool as hell for a long time, but I guess it took space to seal the deal. I didn't start watching sentai until Kyoryuger, mainly spurred on when I heard the movie was going to be a musical. The movie was not really a musical but it was still good and Kyoryu is great so who cares.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtkLsoASn2w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy2bgTRIfas

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The guy demonstrating the toys sounds so happy about them. :allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqQTLetdI1w

Oh my God, do you HAVE to quip while morphing?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Waffleman_ posted:

Can't have any dead air. The kids will stop paying attention the instant someone isn't saying something.

That's how the real world works, right?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

COLOR ME IMPRESSED. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

Why even have the morpher talk if you're not going to play the sound clips in the show?
And how are you so lazy you can't even edit out the "GAO!"?

• Locked thread