Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

The REAL Goobusters posted:

He doesn't have a twitter account.

STILL NOT ON TWITTER, GUYS?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFU27_VJYQ0

The HDTGM crew explains Sleepaway Camp...ANIMATED!

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
That video is great. Also the very long Amazon review in the Mortal Kombat episode is unbelievable - simultaneously hilarious and tragic. And I love that Paul had no idea that Jason co-wrote Ride Along (the No. 1 movie in the country for two straight weeks) until he saw it on a poster.

GraPar fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 31, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
The game with the frog riding the cart

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Mortal Kombat is a button smasher, right? A button smasher.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

bobkatt013 posted:

The game with the frog riding the cart

I'm also pretty sure she referred to the Atari as the "Nintari"

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

GraPar posted:

And I love that Paul had no idea that Jason co-wrote Ride Along (the No. 1 movie in the country for two straight weeks) until he saw it on a poster.

WE VACATIONED TOGETHER MAN

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Berzerker posted:

I'm also pretty sure she referred to the Atari as the "Nintari"

She did, which was an obvious callback to The Adventures of Willy Beamish, proving once and for all that June is a 90s PC adventure gamer at heart.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
I love it when We Hate Movies turns into We Love Movies. I just love how by the end of it this weeks episode they effectively figured out that they watched a Batman movie.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

MadScientistWorking posted:

I love it when We Hate Movies turns into We Love Movies. I just love how by the end of it this weeks episode they effectively figured out that they watched a Batman movie.

They've talked before about how much they wanted a movie they were watching to turn into a secret Batman movie, and now it's finally happened!

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

The only bad part about this WHM; now that they've teased The One I cannot wait until that episode happens. That movie is loving bananas.

Dogeatdog
Jun 17, 2005

davidHalestorm posted:

That was Paul F. Tompkins. There's also the fact that June's twitter handle is @MsJuneDiane for extra confusion.

"There is something so unnerving about a married couple being so formal with each other."

I tend to imagine their life is just some long form sketch comedy of manners.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I'm not sure who is to blame for the WHM Live shows having sub-gramophone audio quality but holy poo poo they're unlistenable.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I haven't found all of them to be unlistenable but this one was loving awful. Surely they're doing a live show into microphones, someone couldn't record off of the mixing board?

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
The problem is, they're such hipsters that they only record onto Edison cylinder because, "it's the only medium that has real life to it."

Al! posted:

I haven't found all of them to be unlistenable but this one was loving awful. Surely they're doing a live show into microphones, someone couldn't record off of the mixing board?

Some venues make you pay a non-insignificant amount to record off their boards.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Answers!

quote:

Look, we realize it's not ideal, but we have to mic the room when we do these because the board in this particular theater has a faulty output that causes an even worse buzz when used -- see our On Deadly Ground episode which people also deemed unlistenable. Back in studio next week.

Bad answers!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Yeah I'm a huge WHM fan but this live episode was unlistenable. Couldn't hear Eric at all, and an audience member kept laughing into the mike at full volume. I gave up after eight minutes which was a bummer as the few jokes I could understand were good.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I liked this week's HDTGM. I didn't know the guest, but he was a good guest.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I hate to be a butt, and the WHM guys seem extremely resistant to asking for money, but if it would make these live episodes listenable, I'd gladly donate. It's frustrating because each one has been consistently unintelligible, which means I have to wait another week to hear a new episode. I'm sure they could scrounge together $100 - $150 to buy a mixer to run their mics through whenever they do a live show.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
I don't remember Cliffhanger being that terrible, or at least I was able to make it through the whole thing. But yeah I've given up on the last two WHM Live episodes pretty quickly.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
If they don't wanna do a straight 'donate money' button or whatever there's always Kickstarter, a couple of my favorite podcasts were able to get some major upgrades in gear and all through that.

Yea Cliffhanger and Shaky Ground was ok but this was terrible, I got up to when one of them namedropped some other lovely movie they were suggested and some chick shrieked with joy into the mic and my earbuds I had turned up super high to hear them felt like they would explode.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Berzerker posted:

I liked this week's HDTGM. I didn't know the guest, but he was a good guest.

I know it wasn't him but he sounded like Badger from Breaking Bad so that's who I pictured.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Really started to get into How Did This Get Made?. They seem to be having a ton of fun ripping on bad stuff, and Mantzoukis is basically Raffi during the podcast.

What is the deal with June though? She's been on the show forever, she's been in movies, and yet she sounds quasi-retarded most of the time. She doesn't seem to understand what a movie is, how movies work, what a plotline is, how to follow a plotline, what characters are, and anything in the movie is foreign and confusing to her. I know she's pretty much there because of her relationship with Paul, but c'mon already. When Mantzoukis is basically playing an idiot on the podcast, and yet is continually astounded when June completely fails to understand the most basic concepts in the movie, what the hell is going on with her.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I met June Diane Raphael a decade ago when she was touring with Casey Wilson doing Rode Hard and Put Away Wet, and she is a smart woman; if you think she sounds dumb on this bad movie podcast, it's probably because the movies are really bad and make people who watch them sound dumb trying to describe them.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I wish WHM was just Andrew, Steve, and Eric every week. I'm not crazy about Chris.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Yeah, if you've seen any of her roles in stuff like Party Down or Burning Love, that's kind of her schtick. She's actually my favorite part of HDTGM.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Al! posted:

Yeah, if you've seen any of her roles in stuff like Party Down or Burning Love, that's kind of her schtick. She's actually my favorite part of HDTGM.

Interesting. I haven't seen either, but I'll see if I can check them out.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I wish WHM was just Andrew, Steve, and Eric every week. I'm not crazy about Chris.

The guy is very on-point and succinct, but Christ he's not half as funny as Eric or Steve, who are amazing in any episode they show up in.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I know she's pretty much there because of her relationship with Paul

Yeah women mostly get jobs because of who they're loving am I right.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

The Berzerker posted:

Yeah women mostly get jobs because of who they're loving am I right.

Cool. Thanks for standing up for the embattered female podcast hosts of the world.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

When Mantzoukis is basically playing an idiot on the podcast, and yet is continually astounded when June completely fails to understand the most basic concepts in the movie, what the hell is going on with her.

I think it has a lot to do with the language of the movies they're watching. Paul and Jason understand nerdy comic book and sci-fi movies because they've been watching them their entire lives. June, presumably, hasn't. So when a movie uses a lot of language specific to the genre (like Street Fighter), June is completely lost. On the other hand, June has no problem digesting bad romcoms or female-centric plotlines in action movies because those are the kinds of movies she watches and enjoys. See, for example, her take on Twilight: Breaking Dawn and Barbarella.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Irish Joe posted:

I think it has a lot to do with the language of the movies they're watching. Paul and Jason understand nerdy comic book and sci-fi movies because they've been watching them their entire lives. June, presumably, hasn't. So when a movie uses a lot of language specific to the genre (like Street Fighter), June is completely lost. On the other hand, June has no problem digesting bad romcoms or female-centric plotlines in action movies because those are the kinds of movies she watches and enjoys. See, for example, her take on Twilight: Breaking Dawn and Barbarella.

Oh poo poo, I didn't even see they had one on Barbarella! I have to listen to that one today.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Yeah, when someone in this thread compared June to a Grandmother it was pretty spot on. Her frame of reference is totally different from the typical nerdy comedy person.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Oh poo poo, I didn't even see they had one on Barbarella! I have to listen to that one today.

Do they? I think they may have meant Barb Wire. I just listened to that the other day. It was interesting to hear June's view on it. Though I think she may have gone overboard with her hatred of the word "babe".

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 16, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Really started to get into How Did This Get Made?. They seem to be having a ton of fun ripping on bad stuff, and Mantzoukis is basically Raffi during the podcast.

What is the deal with June though? She's been on the show forever, she's been in movies, and yet she sounds quasi-retarded most of the time. She doesn't seem to understand what a movie is, how movies work, what a plotline is, how to follow a plotline, what characters are, and anything in the movie is foreign and confusing to her. I know she's pretty much there because of her relationship with Paul, but c'mon already. When Mantzoukis is basically playing an idiot on the podcast, and yet is continually astounded when June completely fails to understand the most basic concepts in the movie, what the hell is going on with her.

The How Did This Get Made crew are more doing characters and bits about the movies than they are actually commenting on them. It's a different approach from Flop House (who tend to work more toward criticism) and WHM (which seems more freeform), but that's why its nice to have three different bad movie podcasts that are listenable.

The Ape of Naples posted:

Do they? I think they may have meant Barb Wire. I just listened to that the other day. It was interesting to hear June's view on it. Though I think she may have gone overboard with her hatred of the word "babe".

You must have been. When you said Barbarella my reaction was "How the hell did I miss that because it's got to be incredible!" I don't think any of the bad movie casts have actually stuck their toe into the psychedelic movies of the 60's and that would be fun just to hear their utter bewilderment. Hearing one of them take on Wild in the Streets would be amazing.

Edit: I just remembered that We Hate Movies had the biker movie that they did near the start of their podcast before they got a decent rhythm down for the shows. So there was at least one.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 16, 2014

sweetroy
May 23, 2011
thats a space bar

man i hate yall

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

100% this, Chris is just a really negative guy and doesn't seem to have as much fun with it as the rest of them. The episodes where it's just Andrew, Steve and Eric are always my favourites

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Honestly despite listening to the entire WHM catalog, many twice, I cannot really distinguish any of the dudes.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Honestly despite listening to the entire WHM catalog, many twice, I cannot really distinguish any of the dudes.

The only one that really seems different to me is Eric. I've never been bothered by any of them really.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Andrew Jupin is my most favorite dude as he's the one that has to mute his microphone whenever he hears a joke he loves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

That's pretty weird, I've listened to most of them and I don't have a problem. Chris is the nasally guy who dislikes most everything. Eric is the gruff voiced guy who does a lot of jokey jokes and puns, sometime aping Norm MacDonald. Steve is also nasally but his voice is higher pitched he is also (arguably) the funniest. Andrew is the pilot of the whole thing, has the most radio appropriate voice of them all and serves as the de facto straight man a lot of the time.

Now if you wanted me to identify them based on their pictures that's a different thing. They're all chubby white dudes. I agree with the sentiments expressed in this thread in that I prefer it when Chris isn't on, but I kinda feel bad about saying that because it's not like he's bad or anything, I just prefer the other two guys. On the plus side, he does seem to know more about movies than the anyone else on the podcast.

He's no Elliot Kalan though.

edit: feel like I'm thinking way to much about bad movie podcasts. I blame you assholes.