Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
I'd say include it if you really have something to say, like you have a lot of relevant experience that isn't adequately reflected by your resume, or you have a significant personal connection to the job. If it's just another job application where you're including a cover letter just because you feel it's expected of you, I'd say don't bother, because they don't seem to be expecting it in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Sir John Falstaff posted:

I'd say include it if you really have something to say, like you have a lot of relevant experience that isn't adequately reflected by your resume,

If that's the case you've got a problem with your resume

Saintfuzzled
Jan 17, 2010
Hey guys, I didn't really know where to start but this seems an appropriate place. I'm a recent immigrant to the US, and I feel like I'm getting extremely frustrated finding a job (like pretty much everyone else).
I just grabbed an example US resume and modified it to fit my experience and I feel it looks okay. But I've been applying for jobs for a month and there's barely any responses. Is that normal in the US?
my wife tells me it's better to go into a place and apply or call and ask, but most places don't appreciate it and clearly state the application process online is how it is. How do you people deal with that lack of personal contact?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Saintfuzzled posted:

I just grabbed an example US resume and modified it to fit my experience and I feel it looks okay. But I've been applying for jobs for a month and there's barely any responses. Is that normal in the US?

Yeah, a month is pretty normal. If you post your resume with identifying stuff blanked out, people'll be happy to help you with it.

Saintfuzzled posted:

my wife tells me it's better to go into a place and apply or call and ask, but most places don't appreciate it and clearly state the application process online is how it is. How do you people deal with that lack of personal contact?

It's just the way it is; you apply online and forget you've applied until someone calls you.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

angst emotion posted:

Hi all. Hoping for some feedback on my resume.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1YljEUSAeg2qT-Kw1MgM8tTUJm6RGFxMiRPvKebTMjjE/edit?usp=sharing

I just recently moved from Atlanta to Seattle with a buddy of mine, and I'm looking to get a job doing data analysis for one of the hundreds of tech companies up here. The problem is, I graduated a year ago and spent too long working at the restaurant instead of doing mathematical work, which is why I'm playing up my coursework in this version.

In addition, any tips for networking and/or actually finding jobs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Here is a VERY basic critique. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Goon Approved Resume and CV Writing Service
http://bit.ly/ForumsCritique
My service will get you job interviews!

Zzu
Jun 17, 2008
Quick question about a resume.

When should I take my academic projects off my resume? Have been in my first post college job for about a year and looking to put out feelers. Should I leave academic projects on my resume or take them off?

Thanks

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Zzu posted:

Quick question about a resume.

When should I take my academic projects off my resume? Have been in my first post college job for about a year and looking to put out feelers. Should I leave academic projects on my resume or take them off?

Thanks
How related are they to the field you're looking to get a job in?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I'm sending in a resume/cover letter to an employer I left on good terms a few years ago. Obviously since the people reviewing my application know me, I have to be careful about over-exaggerating things I did there. As well, I need to word things carefully to not sound like I'm begging for a job, or that I expect it back.

Any general tips on handling this kind of thing?

Cyril Sneer fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 29, 2014

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So, a week ago, I was contacted by a company I applied to in a city I really want to live in. He contacted me and said that he noticed I lived in Illinois and if I would be available to come to their NY office for an interview. I responded the same day saying that I would be available to do so. I haven't heard back from him since then.

Is it too soon to send a follow-up e-mail reiterating interest and desire for an interview? I haven't dealt with out-of-state interviews before, so I'm not sure if the communication timeframe is longer, shorter, the same, etc.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Chaotic Flame posted:

So, a week ago, I was contacted by a company I applied to in a city I really want to live in. He contacted me and said that he noticed I lived in Illinois and if I would be available to come to their NY office for an interview. I responded the same day saying that I would be available to do so. I haven't heard back from him since then.

Is it too soon to send a follow-up e-mail reiterating interest and desire for an interview? I haven't dealt with out-of-state interviews before, so I'm not sure if the communication timeframe is longer, shorter, the same, etc.
A day isn't too long when you're dealing with recruiters if you haven't even received a "let me talk to the hiring manager" back. These are typically Type A people who deal in the timescale of minutes.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Misogynist posted:

A day isn't too long when you're dealing with recruiters if you haven't even received a "let me talk to the hiring manager" back. These are typically Type A people who deal in the timescale of minutes.

It's one of the Vice Presidents. It's a fairly small market research firm, so I don't think they have any dedicated recruiters.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm not a terribly aggressive person so I usually go with a 48 hour rule on following up. Just because after 10 years of corporate work I know how the inside of most companies work. Things take time to setup, people get busy and don't communicate as often as they should, and sometimes people just forget.

For all you know the VP has reached out to HR to arrange travel arrangements for you to come interview but he's waiting on them, so he can get back to you. The last guy we hired on my team it took a week and a half for all the paperwork to get through before we could officially offer him the job.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Could I get a review on a cover letter?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/50954758/Cover%20Letter%20Public.pdf

The context here is per my earlier post - I'm applying to a company I left a few years ago, on good terms, to pursue some further education. The intent of the cover letter is just to provide an update on what I've been up to, as opposed to selling myself as a candidate (the application is going directly to my former boss). They don't have any open positions at the moment but there's some high-level restructuring happening and I was told to submit a resume anyway as some things might come up in the future.

Thanks!

edit: ok, that's better.

Cyril Sneer fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 29, 2014

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
My suspicion is that you getting rehired is going to depend far more on the circumstances of why you left and how your former boss sees you than on anything else. I agree with focusing the cover letter on what you've been up to, and I think it does a good job of that.

I assume Company X is the company your applying to? Otherwise it's quite short.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Xandu posted:

My suspicion is that you getting rehired is going to depend far more on the circumstances of why you left and how your former boss sees you than on anything else. I agree with focusing the cover letter on what you've been up to, and I think it does a good job of that.

I assume Company X is the company your applying to? Otherwise it's quite short.

Yes, that's correct. It's short intentionally - in my mind its only purpose is to update my former boss on what I've been up to, with just a short "shout out" to my previous employment there.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

skipdogg posted:

I'm not a terribly aggressive person so I usually go with a 48 hour rule on following up. Just because after 10 years of corporate work I know how the inside of most companies work. Things take time to setup, people get busy and don't communicate as often as they should, and sometimes people just forget.

For all you know the VP has reached out to HR to arrange travel arrangements for you to come interview but he's waiting on them, so he can get back to you. The last guy we hired on my team it took a week and a half for all the paperwork to get through before we could officially offer him the job.

I ended up sending a follow-up. Hopefully, I hear something back.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

If a company approaches me for an interview, is it acceptable to ask their salary range early on?

I don't want to have to name a number, but I have a feeling they aren't going to offer a competitive salary, so I don't want to waste anyone's time. Is there a good way to do this?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Xandu posted:

If a company approaches me for an interview, is it acceptable to ask their salary range early on?

I don't want to have to name a number, but I have a feeling they aren't going to offer a competitive salary, so I don't want to waste anyone's time. Is there a good way to do this?

I've had a lot of luck asking them what they feel the market range is for the position and how they feel the position is being budgeted competitively in said region. Actually everyone I've asked something like that to has just straight up given me the calculations they were doing for for the position's pay and came up on it when I remained dead silent. YMMV.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So it's time for another attempt to GTFO. I'll be applying for a few positions within my company in a location I really want to move to, and the positions are likely in the same team - It's DB/BI, C++ and UI stuff.
  • My current job is heavy on the first and a bit on the last area, but I've used C# almost exclusively here and not C++. I do have an academic project and a pet ray tracer written in C++ and a bunch of other crap in C. Would a separate section for these make sense?
  • Do I modify the resume to fit each job, even though the same people are likely to be reading them?
  • I speak several languages that aren't very common in the region. Keep or take off?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Xandu posted:

Are you getting cold called by a recruiter? A recruiter I have no qualms asking about the salary range, they usually won't say much other than "competitive" or "in like with market".

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

skipdogg posted:

Are you getting cold called by a recruiter? A recruiter I have no qualms asking about the salary range, they usually won't say much other than "competitive" or "in like with market".

Not a recruiter, it was the director of some division at the company. Not sure how he got my email. I'm giving him a call today, will probably just ask for a general range.

StarSiren
Feb 15, 2005

Wade in the water, Children, Wade in the water
Curious, do employers call people in to offer jobs in person?

I've been through essentially 4 rounds of interviews for a position I'm absolutely ecstatic about pursuing. I get a call today letting me know they've gone through my references and want me to come in and meet one-on-one with the person who would theoretically be my boss. I'm not sure what to expect or if I should prepare for something in particular, or what.

StarSiren fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 31, 2014

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

StarSiren posted:

I've been through essentially 4 rounds of interviews for a position I'm absolutely ecstatic about pursuing. I get a call today letting me know they've gone through my references and want me to come in and meet one-on-one with the person who would theoretically be my boss. I'm not sure what to expect or if I should prepare for something in particular, or what.

No, I've never heard of this happening. They're just having you meet someone within the company. It would take some sadistic fucks to force you to accept or reject an offer point blank in person.

StarSiren
Feb 15, 2005

Wade in the water, Children, Wade in the water

seacat posted:

No, I've never heard of this happening. They're just having you meet someone within the company. It would take some sadistic fucks to force you to accept or reject an offer point blank in person.

I forgot an important detail. The boss-to-be I've already interviewed with during 2 of my group interviews, and she was the one to call me directly today and ask me to come meet with her one-on-one.

I'll just go into this treating it like another interview, I just feel like it's been an unusual gauntlet of a process.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Howdy braddas, I need some advice on my next resume I put together.

Basically, 2 years ago I was 3/4 of the way to failing out of college when I got a sql dev internship at a great company. I 'faked' my way in (without lying/doing unethical stuff) and quickly learned everything I needed to and then some for excelling within the position. Anyway fast forward to today and I work well with my team, and my manager has nothing but glowing praises for me whenever we do our regular face to face feedback meetings.

For the past 3 months however there has been no movement on the topic of promotion to full time since I brought it up in November. Despite all the assurances in the world from my boss that there was a place for me and that I didn't have to worry at all, there's been almost no real progress.

So now I'm curious as to whether or not I'm actually ready (like my boss has told me) to take on a Jr. developer role's responsibilities. I feel like I have a pretty strong grasp on how to do things (admittedly, at a junior level) but the lack of movement on my onboarding suggests otherwise.

I'd now like to move ahead interviewing at other places to see if I have what it takes yet or if I need to just continue sucking it up in my current position. I'd say my primary concern is money as my student loan repayments will start in a couple months. It would probably be easier to get an hourly rate raise than full time, but that seems to me like missing the forest for the trees. Or am I thinking about this wrong and I should just go for the raise and then the promotion?

Also, what kind of strategy should I adopt for building a resume with only 1 previous job (an internship) and no degree?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

StarSiren posted:

I've had one employer have me come in for the offer in person. It made it extremely hard to negotiate because it was the typed letter right in front of me.

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
So I made it to the next round of interviews but before I go in they want me to take the Hogan Behavior Assessment. Does anyone have experience with this?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

From what I remember there's a social desirability scale, so if a question seems weird, don't lie. Beyond that, just make sure your answers are consistent, but I really wouldn't be concerned about it.

Pofolk
Nov 27, 2002

Let chaos entwine on defenseless soil.
I graduated from university in 2011 with a B.S.B.A. in MIS and then promptly moved to Asia and have been teaching English since. I'll be moving back to the U.S. in 6 weeks with hopes of finding an entry-level Business/I.T. Analysis type position. How negatively will recruiters look upon these last 2 1/2 years? I plan on emphasizing the communicative and facilitative aspects of teaching, but I'm not sure if recruiters will really care about that. I would also like to highlight that I've been teaching corporate classes at Intel, but I'm not sure how to word it on a resume since my actual employer is a small corporate training firm.

When should I begin sending out resumes? I don't currently have a U.S. phone number other than my Google Voice number, and obviously won't be able to attend any interviews until I'm back in the States. Should I wait or is earlier better?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

prezbuluskey posted:

So I made it to the next round of interviews but before I go in they want me to take the Hogan Behavior Assessment. Does anyone have experience with this?
If you're a moral person, but a philosopher, and you overthink questions like "I think it is wrong to steal candy" and think of a dozen edge cases instead of just answering "Always," you won't do well. The whole system is a joke. Role-play as Donald Trump and you'll be fine.

It appears to be designed for sociopaths.

prezbuluskey
Jul 23, 2007
A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Took it a few minutes ago and poo poo, was it weird. I'll hold off going into more about it until later, but it was surprisingly tough.

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"
Hi all, on the job market again since I'm planning to leave a doozy of a hell of a post-college job in non-profit fundraising. I woke up the other day realizing I'm pretty well-qualified for grown-up positions with "Director" and "Vice President" in the title (minus a year or two of experience, but no matter). Since I already have a job I can take this search easy, and apply for a couple of these reach positions. My instinct in drafting these applications has been the same as with fundraising: it doesn't matter if you're asking for $10 or $10,000,000, just ask the best way you know how.

Translation, I'm planning on just sending along a great cover letter and resume, just like with any other posting, but for these kinda senior-level jobs I'm wondering if that might be a bit naive, or if there are more bits and pieces people will secretly expect me to include. Any thoughts?

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

myresume.txt posted:

"I went to college, hosed around for 4 years, have no relevant work experience and am now in grad school."

I went to college for one kind of engineering and figured out I didn't want to pursue it by the time I got out. Spent a few years roaming the country working lovely jobs and "living life". I got tired of being broke and working the lovely jobs, so I'm now in grad school for a different kind of engineering (that I really want to do).

I'm trying to get an internship lined up for this summer, and I'm totally miffed as to what to do about my resume. My last few jobs are things like warehouse morlock, cook, dishwasher, snowboard coach.

Pretty sure I need to write a resume completely devoid of work history and emphasize skills, but I'm really kind of stuck as to how to go about doing that. If anyone has any helpful advice or insight they could share I would be very thankful.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

deptstoremook posted:

Hi all, on the job market again since I'm planning to leave a doozy of a hell of a post-college job in non-profit fundraising. I woke up the other day realizing I'm pretty well-qualified for grown-up positions with "Director" and "Vice President" in the title (minus a year or two of experience, but no matter). Since I already have a job I can take this search easy, and apply for a couple of these reach positions. My instinct in drafting these applications has been the same as with fundraising: it doesn't matter if you're asking for $10 or $10,000,000, just ask the best way you know how.

Translation, I'm planning on just sending along a great cover letter and resume, just like with any other posting, but for these kinda senior-level jobs I'm wondering if that might be a bit naive, or if there are more bits and pieces people will secretly expect me to include. Any thoughts?
The best way you know how, for a director position, should be full of data and quantitative measurements of your accomplishments. If you've got that, you're well on your way.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I don't know anything about that market, but I'm curious what percentage of those positions are filled through unsolicited resumes.

deptstoremook
Jan 12, 2004
my mom got scared and said "you're moving with your Aunt and Uncle in Bel-Air!"

Misogynist posted:

The best way you know how, for a director position, should be full of data and quantitative measurements of your accomplishments. If you've got that, you're well on your way.

Absolutely, and with pretty competitive numbers for my sector.

Xandu, you raise an important question, even if it's not one I can really help. At my current institution I've seen multiple searches for these types of positions, and many of the resumes are unsolicited; at least half of the development directors I know got there without pre-selection. There's still probably quite a bit of what you'r saying, though.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

deptstoremook posted:

Absolutely, and with pretty competitive numbers for my sector.

Assuming you mean salary numbers, I don't think anyone hires a Director type position by looking for a bargain. Yeah, the achievements you talk about need to make them say "hell, we want him to do that for US!"

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I don't think that's what he means, but the point still stands.

I think the worst that could happen for you, assuming your numbers are truly good, is that you continue working where you are but now a bunch of companies that didn't have your information on file has now put your name on the short list for when a position opens up.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Holy poo poo the importance of networking can never be stressed enough. I've been sending out resumes online for a while with no hits or responses, but I went to a casual networking event last Thursday (just a pub night hosted by a local professional society in my field) and had a great time. No job hits still, but I at least learned some names, got my name out there, and grabbed a few business cards and contacts. I've even been invited to give a talk about my graduate research to them! :allears:

In a few days I'm heading to a career expo to get my face out there even more. Any tips for this? I'm bringing copies of my resume with me, but what else should I consider?

Considering calls and drop-ins are discouraged I'm continuing to apply for job postings online. My understanding is that successful employment from online applications are abysmally rare barring unusual circumstances so I want to increase my chances as much as humanly possible. I'm getting into catering my resume and cover letter for these positions, but what else can I do aside from crossing my fingers? What if, for example, these job postings allow you to apply via multiple services? I'm noticing that medium-large companies allow you to use LinkedIn or a web-based resume submission, while smaller companies seem to prefer direct email or (rarely) phone. I'm thinking anything that gets your application to an Actual Human as soon as possible is more likely to get you in so direct email and LinkedIn would be much better than web submissions, right?

One of the job ads (for a Position I Went to School For) I'm looking at says calling to inquire is an option along with a direct email. Should I do that, politely say that I'm inquiring about and am highly interested in the such-and-such position, and then after the call follow it up by sending a resume? Or does that do anything at all aside from taking up the company's time, thus making the email option more appealing?

I am definitely overthinking this. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Thanks interview thread! With your tips I managed to do so well in an interview that they denied me the position, because they want me to apply for a better one!