Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Lot of cartoonists too grumpy to come up with a joke today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

All those Express readers hit hard by the 50p in the pound on income tax, they must be terrified.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

BastardySkull posted:

All those Express readers hit hard by the 50p in the pound on income tax, they must be terrified.

Job creators! Taxing aspiration! Other bullshit!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I don't think I've ever heard the phrase "job creators" said with a British accent.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Mr. Squishy posted:

I don't think I've ever heard the phrase "job creators" said with a British accent.

George Osborne says it quite a lot I think. I'm sure some of the other tories have started using it too, it seems to me that they are increasingly trying to import US phrases and talking points because they've realised the American right are way more effective at messaging than they are.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

Puntification posted:

George Osborne says it quite a lot I think. I'm sure some of the other tories have started using it too, it seems to me that they are increasingly trying to import US phrases and talking points because they've realised the American right are way more effective at messaging than they are.

I don't even think they're being that clever, frankly. They're blaggers, just winging it and making the right noises. Stealing talking points from anyone they judge Knows What They're Talking About.

Semi-mental
Feb 5, 2007
You must be a couple of pansies
Maybe I'm massively underestimating wages in journalism, but would any of these cartoonists even be affected by the 50% rate themselves?

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Semi-mental posted:

Maybe I'm massively underestimating wages in journalism, but would any of these cartoonists even be affected by the 50% rate themselves?

Ideology doesn't get in the way of facts or self awareness. The Telegraph cartoonists are quite well trained in that respect..... D:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Semi-mental posted:

Probably not. The people who give them "suggestions" on what to draw cartoons about though...

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

goatface posted:

Probably not. The people who give them "suggestions" on what to draw cartoons about though...

Even those guys won't get much. Art Directors for big papers probably get like £30k plus but I might be talking out my arse.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I was thinking more along the lines of editors & owners.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

UJ? loving hack.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Jedit posted:

UJ? loving hack.

It doesn't really matter what the signals they're doing, because the Beatles album Help! didn't spell Help! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLtQjuNESm8

Crashbee
May 15, 2007

Stupid people are great at winning arguments, because they're too stupid to realize they've lost.
Surely Revolver would have been a better choice to parody since it actually has the song Taxman on it. Which was complaining about tax rates under Labour, no less.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Crashbee posted:

Surely Revolver would have been a better choice to parody since it actually has the song Taxman on it. Which was complaining about tax rates under Labour, no less.

I don't really expect Telegraph readers to be Beatles fans, they most likely think of Yale Quartet when thinking of 1960s music.

Speaking of music I was just thinking this the other day then someone linked me this article from 2011 on pop music now:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9373000/9373158.stm

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the flood defence cuts - Critics blame 'climate sceptic' environment secretary for drop in funding to prepare country for impacts of global warming"

Telegraph:

Cameron pledges to cut red tape for small business

Independent:

Times:

Mail:
"A row has broken out over Ed Balls plan to bring back a 50p rate of tax for high earners."

quote:

“Turn first right then straight on past the lights and Ed Balls’s house is second on the left.”

Express:

:stonklol:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The assassin waited patiently on the balcony, glancing sideways at the heir and his consort, listening carefully to the noises around him. "Europe bad EU lol" drifted up from the palace gardens, interrupted by "piss! tarts! slanty eyes!" from a distant drawing room. A professional, he bore them no mind, focusing instead on the wind speed and drop distance, and waited for the guard to walk obliviously past him. He inched along the ledge and began to piece together the rifle and bipod from his suitcase, sighted through the scope, and pawed ineffectively at the trigger guard for several seconds before wandering off.

Why did we send a badger?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on food banks – Food banks show welfare cuts and inefficiency cause hundreds of thousands of people to depend on emergency food aid" After Margaret Bourke-White.

Telegraph:

Royal overspend prompts call to open palace doors

Independent:

Pete Seeger, US folk singer, dies aged 94

Times:

Mail:
"The Royals have overspent their budget and it has been suggested that they should fund their own maintenance bills."

quote:

“At this point I must remind visitors, no photography in the Royal bathrooms.”

Express:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The Queen's English, folks. And do you have to be under 5 feet tall to tour the palace?

Just wanted to say thanks for linking the pastiche sources in these!

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I'm the obvious TERRORIST plotting to kill ARE ROYALS by spying on Philip having a bath.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Why is Cameron drawn so crappily in all these Telegraph cartoons? That could be anyone.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Why is Cameron drawn so crappily in all these Telegraph cartoons? That could be anyone.

Express you mean?

He's a poo poo artist. I know it's kinda sarky but really I don't think there's much to it. I don't think he ever really gets the part about caricatures where you're supposed to exaggerate features or insert them into references and the like.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Overminty posted:

Express you mean?

He's a poo poo artist. I know it's kinda sarky but really I don't think there's much to it. I don't think he ever really gets the part about caricatures where you're supposed to exaggerate features or insert them into references and the like.
Did he respond to being asked that once by saying that he'd always drawn Cameron like that, and that he was still a distinctive character within his cartoons?

Which is broadly true, but he still obviously looks nothing remotely like the actual Cameron. Condom Head is significantly closer. Like you said, he's exaggerating features Cameron doesn't actually have.

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo
Hasn't he drawn him like that for so long that people automatically know it's Cameron now?

I'm sure he said something along those lines, that he'd become just as recognisable to regular readers as an accurate caricature, so there was no point changing it to make it more accurate.

Seems fair enough to me.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah he said he actually draws Cameron badly on purpose, and everyone recognises him now so it's kind of his 'funny thing'.

No word on why he draws everything else badly (except celebrities)

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Scotland's shared currency plan - Bank of England governor Mark Carney says there are logical economic and business arguments for Alex Salmond's planned currency pact, but also warns of dangers"

Telegraph:

Independent:

Times:

Mail:
"The floods continue to bring suffering to the people of Somerset."

quote:

“Well Dammit. When are you incompetents going to fix it? We’ve suffered since Christmas and our rug is ruined!”

Express:

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Urgh, every single time they comment on Scotland, even the Independent... Carney's not "burst" anyone's bagpipes, all he's come out and said is "I'll set it up once you two agree on what to do, but you've both got to make concessions to each other and actually talk about what to do instead of playing silly buggers *glares at Osbourne and Darling*."

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on David Cameron's reign – David Cameron has much to think about as he and François Hollande head into the Anglo-French summit" After Hyacinthe Rigaud.

Telegraph:

MPs reject Tory rebels' immigration amendment; Ban on smoking in cars carrying children backed by Lords

Independent:

Times:

UK to act with 'urgency' over Syrian refugees says PM

Mail:
"It will soon be illegal to smoke in cars when children are present."

quote:

“And he’s doing 75 miles an hour…Not his day is it?”

Express:

Environment Secretary Paterson warns people to heed flood warnings

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail:
"It will soon be illegal to smoke in cars when children are present."

What is this cartoon even trying to say? "Not his day is it?" ??

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Butt Potato posted:

Independent:

oh no that dog is raping cameron

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lord of the Llamas posted:

What is this cartoon even trying to say? "Not his day is it?" ??
Guessing that the kids are making things up with their signs, which is totally a thing that happens. Probably also raising how enforceable the law will be.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

This weeks If...

Fluo fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 31, 2014

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Shabbits.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on François Hollande and David Cameron"

Telegraph:

Independent:

After William Gowe Ferguson.

Times:

Stephen Collins:

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

The Fall!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We_mND4HpTg

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Coohoolin posted:

Urgh, every single time they comment on Scotland, even the Independent... Carney's not "burst" anyone's bagpipes, all he's come out and said is "I'll set it up once you two agree on what to do, but you've both got to make concessions to each other and actually talk about what to do instead of playing silly buggers *glares at Osbourne and Darling*."
Most of the London press has a visceral dislike for Scotland, and yet take the idea of independence as a personal affront. It makes no sense.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 1, 2014

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Someone should go around with a bunch of cease and desist letters purporting to represent whoever owns the rights to Braveheart.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Zephro posted:

Most of the London press has a visceral dislike for Scotland, and yet take the idea of independence as a personal affront. It makes no sense.

I'd guess it's a sort of residual imperialist mindset, where they believe Scotland rightfully belongs to the British Empire and not the ghastly savages that actually live there. They may hate the place but Scotland being in the UK materially benefits England and independence would reduce England's remaining power and wealth.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

God drat it, those Express cartoons just... Eurgh. Can we just not post them? They have never been well drawn, made a funny joke or made an incisive point, nor will they ever. Even Mac at least has a vaguely charming art style and something that might be considered a debateable opinion, if you squint. There is nothing to redeem the Express cartoons; they're too lazy to even have fun sneering at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Haha, Cameron has never drank a pint in his life.

• Locked thread