Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

bobkatt013 posted:

It is not like the Cardassians have a history of kidnapping and torturing Federation citizens. They would never capture a starship captain and brutally torture him.

Picard was clearly operating outside of Federation rules and had gone rogue, abandoning his principles and effectively renouncing his citizenship. The Federation disavows any knowledge of his activities and firmly condemns his actions. We hope this does not have a meaningful impact on our delicate political situation. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

bobkatt013 posted:

It is not like the Cardassians have a history of kidnapping and torturing Federation citizens. They would never capture a starship captain and brutally torture him.

Yeah but at least that was on the sly after luring him in for a completely deniable black ops mission (contrived though such a scenario may be), and they held him completely in secret, IIRC.

e;fb

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

How many kidnappings do you see?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

armoredgorilla posted:

Picard was clearly operating outside of Federation rules and had gone rogue, abandoning his principles and effectively renouncing his citizenship. The Federation disavows any knowledge of his activities and firmly condemns his actions. We hope this does not have a meaningful impact on our delicate political situation. :colbert:

Thanks a lot Dick Jones

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

armoredgorilla posted:

Yeah, sorry for the spoiler, but this is from the next episode, where Sisko goes through, not Kira and Bashir.

I slipped. :(

No prob. More crazy Sisko? Awesome.

McSpanky posted:

How many kidnappings do you see?

The show trial was broadcast to all. Imagine it's a US citizen, captured by no Al Qaeda or some splinter terrorist group but an entire other country. Pick one, it doesn't matter. Then they broadcast the show trial on their public TV and promise to execute him for crimes they claim he's committed and they've tried by their standards. It's just ridiculous. Not just the US would pretty much immediately see this as an unacceptable affront to national and global security, the rest of us (Aus, UK, etc) would pretty much jump straight the gently caress up too and it'll be WW2 all over again. The whole UN would get in on the act.

It happens fairly regularly, actually. That's how we avoid war now, we can rely on each other to stand together when our joint morals of human rights and decency are threatened. The United Nations are pact of decency. That's exactly what the Federation is.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

In my "watching by airdate" bonanza, I have at last come to five straight episodes of Deep Space Nine with no Voyager interruptions. This will take me through the end of Season 6 and into Season 7. Time to meet the new Dax. :munch:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Tony Montana posted:

The show trial was broadcast to all.

:edi:

:ssh: It's a "how many lights do you see?" joke :ssh:

Bicyclops posted:

Time to meet the new Dax. :munch:

Meet the new Dax, same as the old Dax.

*Odo arrives on scene* "What happened?"

*some random security dude* "He got spaced out of an airlock, sir."

*Odo shapeshifts into a form with sunglasses* "Sucks."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMPAH67f4o

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 31, 2014

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Haha. poo poo.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Meet the new Dax, same as the old Dax.

*Odo arrives on scene* "What happened?"

*some random security dude* "He got spaced out of an airlock, sir."

*Odo shapeshifts into a form with sunglasses* "Sucks."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMPAH67f4o

A montage of Odo delivering CSI/Law and Order-like one-liners would be better than most of season one of TNG.

On another note, I'm two minutes in and already Keiko basically just called O'Brien fat out of nowhere and said she'd be controlling his diet. And Molly just fell into a cave vortex. Some things never change, suffering Miles.

edit: Hm, an Irish teacher trying to get a feral child to understand language. I hope that by the end of this episode, Colm Meaney is shouting "Water! It has a name, Molly! W-A-T-E-R!"

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 31, 2014

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

poo poo, I'd love a season or two of Star Trek: The Wire set on DS9, with Odo investigating a criminal organisation like the Orion Syndicate on Deep Space Nine.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Tony Montana posted:

The show trial was broadcast to all. Imagine it's a US citizen, captured by no Al Qaeda or some splinter terrorist group but an entire other country. Pick one, it doesn't matter. Then they broadcast the show trial on their public TV and promise to execute him for crimes they claim he's committed and they've tried by their standards. It's just ridiculous. Not just the US would pretty much immediately see this as an unacceptable affront to national and global security, the rest of us (Aus, UK, etc) would pretty much jump straight the gently caress up too and it'll be WW2 all over again. The whole UN would get in on the act.

It happens fairly regularly, actually. That's how we avoid war now, we can rely on each other to stand together when our joint morals of human rights and decency are threatened. The United Nations are pact of decency. That's exactly what the Federation is.

The Federation is about peace, while they doubtless made formal protests that weren't shown in addition to sending some ships to try and intimidate the Cardassians ultimately they would have been forced to sacrifice O'Brien because until Sisko and company proved otherwise the evidence said he was guilty. While we might like to think that our governments would move heaven and earth for individual citizens the truth is very different. Look at tourists accused of crimes in countries like Saudi Arabia, they're put through public trials, ambassadors may make pleas for clemency and occasionally cut deals to bring people home but they go through their court and penal systems, like O'Brien went through the Cardassian court system. The only issue was the arrest taking place outside of Cardassian space but Cardassian politicians and ambassadors could easily argue that they suspected a conspiracy within Starfleet, in fact they would make a point of doing so, and as such had no choice but to intervene themselves. I'm pretty sure we've seen the heroes of the various Star Trek series do similar things every now and again.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Man, the Worf B plot about him learning to be a dad was actually way more interesting that the whole Molly Keller plotline.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Just finished up rewatching the Emissary. I'd forgotten that Odo and Bashir do a tribute to Rene Auberjonois' scene as Father Mulcahey.

Trapper John: [In O.R] Dish, let me have a long needle holder.
Duke Forrest: [Mulcahy is performing the last rites on a casualty] Hey, Dago! Dago! Dago, I want you over here to hold this retraction. Now! Please, come on, now!
Father John Patrick 'Dago Red' Mulcahy: Sorry, I'm coming.
Hawkeye Pierce: Hi, Dago.
Duke Forrest: I'm sorry, Dago, but this man is still alive and that other man is dead, and that's a fact. Can you hold it with two fingers, Dago? Hell... Where the hell... Do ya see it?

(Bashir puts Odo's hand on a neck wound)
BASHIR: Press there, hard.
ODO: Look, Doctor, maybe I should find you someone
BASHIR: Hold it there.

Edit: Oh oh and they do a tribute to MASH again in the episode "Nor The Battle to the Strong".

Edit 2: A Man Alone starts with Dax doing some mental exercise of holding a holosuite generated sphere in place with "clarity of thought". Bashir tries it out and fails miserably. Dax leaves with Sisko, Bashir goes "Computer. Reset." and it fades to the opener.

I bet that son of a bitch nailed it the first try immediately afterwards and most of y'all know why.

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 31, 2014

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

This is from a couple pages back, but I have to ask: what do all of you see in Ezri? I find that overall I agree with the hive mind here, except on this point. I hated her with a fiery passion, and the amount of time they spent on developing her in the last season really made it drag. I thought Jadzia was the better Dax by far, and genuinely enjoy episodes focused on her.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Jadzia has pretty much no character development in six years. Ezri has a ton of it in just one. Jadzia is dull, and often the only consistant things about her are "likes alien cultures" and "is sexually active".

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jadzia as a character is dull as dishwater and has no characteristics of her own. Anything that defines her is basically something that's been borrowed off of Curzon Dax (seriously, count how many times she, or Sisko brings up Curzon) like being a massive Klingonaboo, and even episodes that are centred around her end up being about someone else. At least Ezri had a character and an arc.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Vagabundo posted:

poo poo, I'd love a season or two of Star Trek: The Wire set on DS9, with Odo investigating a criminal organisation like the Orion Syndicate on Deep Space Nine.

Considering how Odo operates it'd be over in about two episodes when Odo plants a completely unauthorized bug (or just hangs around suspects as a bug) until he hears something incriminating and then throws them in the brig and smugly Harumphs at them all day.

Edit: And you know, even if you don't like the conclusion to Tribunal it provides some interesting bits and pieces about Cardassia and I think that's one of the best parts about DS9. Even the worst episodes almost always have at least something to like.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Kibayasu posted:

that's one of the best parts about DS9. Even the worst episodes almost always have at least something to like.

THE MUSE

THE MUSE

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

THE MUSE

THE MUSE

Lwaxana & Odo. :colbert:

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

THE MUSE

THE MUSE

Sisko eating a punch from Bareil and simply looking annoyed by it.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I'd go for Profit and Lace. The Ferengi episodes usually work well as farces, but that one is just plain embarrassing.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
On the other hand, the actual message behind that episode is a good one that needs to be repeated.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Apollodorus posted:

On the other hand, the actual message behind that episode is a good one that needs to be repeated.

Being a woman means being more emotional, ditzy, and vain?

Attempted rape is HILARIOUS?

Employees want to be sexually harassed?

Oh, no wait, I remember the message - If the Ferengi homeworld was destroyed, nobody would care, nor should they. You're right, that is a good message!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I think the actual message is, women's rights in the workplace are important, and it is more important to treat women like actual people than to cling to "traditional values" because many of those are actually p. lovely in real life.

Like I said, the message BEHIND the episode, not the message IN the episode.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Tyson Tomko posted:

Back on the Season 8 books again for a second. Damnit damnit those things look and sound drat fun and cool. One of MANY examples was I had no idea they brought back Macet (guy that was played by same actor as Dukat in TNG episode) complete with facial hair and all.
The only problem with the Season 8 books is that because they were being so serial they fell out of sync with the rest of the Trek books, so while the DS9 books were supposed to take place over like a year or so the rest of the books tend to follow the 1 real year = 1 Trekverse year rule and got years ahead. Because of this the DS9 relaunch series just abruptly stops with The Soul Key in 2009/2377, because by then we'd already seen the future of some of the DS9 characters in the Destiny trilogy in 2008/2381. They left tons of plotlines hanging, and DS9 novels became kind pretty disjointed after that, with most of the novels released under the DS9 name really just focusing on a few of the characters doing things away from the station. We didn't get a true DS9-centic again novel until 2012's Plagues of Night. They've been pretty stable since then though.

Tony Montana posted:

Okay, for my country I pick North Korea. Now how does that trial aftermath play out?

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Tony Montana posted:

That was just a stupid episode. The Cardis were so cartoon evil and ridiculous it's one of those moments where I feel shameful to be watching Trek. There was no communication from the Federation at all, at any point, while poo poo was going down with Miles. It wasn't happening behind the scenes, it was an open trial and broadcast to all of Cardassia, the Federation knew all about it (as did the Federation citizens) and it sent a clear message that Cardassia had no respect for the Fed and would kidnap, torture and execute it's citizens and allies as it saw fit.

This is clear violation of any peace treaty. Even if the CCC was trying to spark a war, the Fed still would have responded denouncing their actions and making it clear (not only to humanity, but the Vulcans and whoever else are our bros at this point) that we stand for something. It is impossible for the Federation command to stay silent, as it did, and remain in power.

It was all just very silly. DS9 is a hearty stew with large chunks of pepper. The stew generally quite tasty, but now and then you bite down on the pepper and you cough and splutter and spit out your mouthful. Much of Trek is like this.

While I agree with you that in hindsight it is stupid, I didn't see it at the time.

Rather, what I thought was interesting was how the Cardassian justice system compared to one of my Hong Konger friend's view of justice on mainland china. Basically for high profile things, if you've been arrested, you already know that you'll be found guilty. Either the crime you've been accused of is too high profile so that if you aren't convicted then you'll cause embarrassment to the party, or someone high up in the party thinks you've directly wronged them. Either that or you just haven't bribed the right people. The question is what the sentence will be and that partially depends on how much you throw yourself on the mercy of the court.

Again, of course this is his view of how justice goes there and he specifically left Hong Kong before the UK ceded it back to China. Also, I don't think anyone has accused the Chinese of taking teeth as a regular occurrence.

QVC Drinking Game
Jun 23, 2005

Tony Montana posted:

Iran's capture of those British Navy sailors a few years ago comes to mind. Iran held them for two weeks, denied them access to consul, and made nonspecific threats of punishment towards them. The UK and its allies got way mad about it but it didn't start WW3. Yes, poo poo might have gone down if they had actually come close to executing them, but it's not really that far-out of a scenario.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I said "almost" :colbert:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
DS9 Best Trek

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF
I wasn't rooting for either team, but if our dear Captain Picard is rooting for the Seahawks I suppose that's reason enough to choose who to root for!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The not-American football is best part.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

Knormal posted:

The only problem with the Season 8 books is that because they were being so serial they fell out of sync with the rest of the Trek books, so while the DS9 books were supposed to take place over like a year or so the rest of the books tend to follow the 1 real year = 1 Trekverse year rule and got years ahead. Because of this the DS9 relaunch series just abruptly stops with The Soul Key in 2009/2377, because by then we'd already seen the future of some of the DS9 characters in the Destiny trilogy in 2008/2381. They left tons of plotlines hanging, and DS9 novels became kind pretty disjointed after that, with most of the novels released under the DS9 name really just focusing on a few of the characters doing things away from the station. We didn't get a true DS9-centic again novel until 2012's Plagues of Night. They've been pretty stable since then though.

When Knormal says "abruptly stops" he totally means it too. There's this massive buildup with some seriously crazy poo poo that portends to be apocalyptic in scope in Soul Key, then .... absolutely nothing. The events are referred to in the next set of DS9 books and apparently were very influential to make Kira quit her job and become a Vedek but the whole thing is pretty much handwaved as "yeah A Thing happened, it's all good now, let's never reference it again." Very jarring.

While I personally think the "season 8" books spiraled their way into some ludicrous bullshit (MegaHitler Dukat and his Rape Dungeon Adventure with Fake Kira/Illiana Ghemor and everything that results from that) on the way to that last book, they were definitely pretty entertaining getting there. I just wish they'd resolve that whole thing so I can see just how ridiculous they would have gotten with it.

I'm not too thrilled about the new stuff starting with Plagues of Night but ehh, might just be Trek overload.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

LegionAreI posted:

When Knormal says "abruptly stops" he totally means it too. There's this massive buildup with some seriously crazy poo poo that portends to be apocalyptic in scope in Soul Key, then .... absolutely nothing. The events are referred to in the next set of DS9 books and apparently were very influential to make Kira quit her job and become a Vedek but the whole thing is pretty much handwaved as "yeah A Thing happened, it's all good now, let's never reference it again." Very jarring.

While I personally think the "season 8" books spiraled their way into some ludicrous bullshit (MegaHitler Dukat and his Rape Dungeon Adventure with Fake Kira/Illiana Ghemor and everything that results from that) on the way to that last book, they were definitely pretty entertaining getting there. I just wish they'd resolve that whole thing so I can see just how ridiculous they would have gotten with it.

I'm not too thrilled about the new stuff starting with Plagues of Night but ehh, might just be Trek overload.

Good lord. Either I'm forgetting some poo poo or Unity was a good place to stop after all.

I picked up DS9: Valhalla on Amazon Kindle the other day, it's not the most amazing book in the world, but I'm happy to be reading it again. They reference the Defiant being away from the station, but the way the characters interact and the heavy Cardassian politics make it feel much more like a first season episode. If you ignore the Defiant being there, I guess it would have to take place between The Forsaken and Duet.

Picking up on the Jadzia conversation earlier, I always waffle on whether she's a good character or not, but I'm starting to lean towards good. I think her characterization earlier in the series is better than in later seasons. She has this otherwordly calm around her, utterly confident and competent, and really does come across with the "wisdom of age" bit. She makes a good contrast to Kira at that point. In fact, Kira sort of takes over some of those mannerisms later in the series as she becomes more sure of what she expects of herself.

I'm always reminded of early series Jadzia whenever she has conversations with Sisko because she always acts as his sounding board, letting him work his way to the right decision instead of interjecting her own opinion. She seems so above it all.

But after her later relationship, she sort of breaks down into a boring generic adventure girl and it doesn't really work for me.

Basically, if you juxtapose early Dax and Ezri, then you'll have a fight on your hands about who's better because they're two halves of the same coin. One is a woman who's been preparing for the joining all her life and the other is an emergency receptacle for the symbiote who never intended to be joined. If it's late Dax and Ezri, I've gotta go with Ezri.

primaltrash fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 31, 2014

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Nemesis is on Syfy right now.

TNG's The First Duty is on BBC America right now.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Ehhhhh.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

Apple Jax posted:

I wasn't rooting for either team, but if our dear Captain Picard is rooting for the Seahawks I suppose that's reason enough to choose who to root for!

Gandalf has better taste in football teams.

Gau fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jan 31, 2014

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Gau posted:

Gandalf has better taste in handegg teams.

Look, if Sir Patrick Stewart calls it football, you will loving call it football too.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

armoredgorilla posted:

Look, if Sir Patrick Stewart calls it football, you will loving call it football too.

Yes, sir!

Now all I can imagine is Enterprise, but instead of Scott Bakula they have Peyton Manning.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I always got the impression that Jadzia was a shell of a person, and the symbiotic had the dominant personality. Ezri was a fully realized person and was dealing with the addition of another set of life experiences.

• Locked thread