Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Neal Degrasse Tyson-san! :allears:
Seriously, I am very excited for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

IRQ posted:

Ah, the universal (pun not intended) symbol for "thar be reruns on tv this week for no good reason."

NBC loses money on the Olympics at this point if I remember 2012 right. The most memorable part of which was the horrible logo that was Lisa blowing Bart, and Mittens' dancing horse.

The funniest thing about the London Olympics was that if you only watched NBC coverage you'd think women's beach volleyball was the biggest sport in the world. I swear they got more coverage than anything else combined.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

smg77 posted:

The funniest thing about the London Olympics was that if you only watched NBC coverage you'd think women's beach volleyball was the biggest sport in the world. I swear they got more coverage than anything else combined.

Agreed. Those ladies had way too much coverage :quagmire:

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

FadingChord posted:

Leonard Nimoy should narrate everything. :colbert:

I fooled you, I fooled you.

I've got pig iron, I've got pig iron.

I've got all pig iron.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't mind the Olympics existing but dear bleeding Jesus who actually watches that poo poo?

Curling is actually pretty chill to get baked and watch, admittedly.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I do. It's a nice break from regular TV for a couple weeks every two years.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Josh Lyman posted:

I was at a house party on Tuesday when the snowpocalypse hit Atlanta, and during local news coverage, someone asked what the thing was below the NBC logo. The Olympic rings.

At that moment, I knew I needed to get out, icy roads be damned.

The Olympics were in Atlanta.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In '96.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Back when it was Christian terrorists bombing the Olympics

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
I heard this season of American Horror Story sputtered to an unsatisfying end. I watched the first few episodes of the season, then lost the rest when my DVR died. Is it worth trying to see the season finale or should I just skip this season?

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

VorpalBunny posted:

I heard this season of American Horror Story sputtered to an unsatisfying end. I watched the first few episodes of the season, then lost the rest when my DVR died. Is it worth trying to see the season finale or should I just skip this season?

There were a few memorable aspects to season, notably Kathy Bates and, uh... well there was Kathy Bates.

Definitely not a stellar season. It felt like they just threw a bunch of halfway thought out stories together and tried to form something coherent, but couldn't make it work.

I didn't hate it, and if you really like the cast I would say it is certainly worth sitting through, but I won't be recommending it to my friends who are otherwise uninterested.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Okay, I thought the second episode of Rake was better than the first, and it's obvious that any edges it might have had were sanded off, so I'm gonna need to know where I can watch the original series. Get me some perspective.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Manos del Sino posted:

There were a few memorable aspects to season, notably Kathy Bates and, uh... well there was Kathy Bates.

Definitely not a stellar season. It felt like they just threw a bunch of halfway thought out stories together and tried to form something coherent, but couldn't make it work.

I didn't hate it, and if you really like the cast I would say it is certainly worth sitting through, but I won't be recommending it to my friends who are otherwise uninterested.

Francis Conroy was awesome as well. :colbert:

(Also, Angela Bassett was wonderful in her first few episodes.)

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

DivisionPost posted:

Okay, I thought the second episode of Rake was better than the first, and it's obvious that any edges it might have had were sanded off, so I'm gonna need to know where I can watch the original series. Get me some perspective.

Get an Australian itunes account? I haven't seen the US version yet but the original gets pretty dark at times. Actually it's usually pretty dark but with some moments and episodes which are hilarious. It mostly leans more towards the drama side than comedy though. It's probably a fair bit 'edgier' just because there's more you can get away with on an Australian public broadcaster than you can on an American commercial network.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

zoux posted:

I'm sure that, for that reason, some people will say, "why remake it then" but with Cosmos it makes more sense to update it (and periodically into the future as well) than other remakes. We've come so far in terms of our understanding of the universe since the original Cosmos and what they were trying to do with SFX in the original show can be accomplished so much better today, that I think it's appropriate to do so.

I agree. Just take planets. When the original series was done we could only speculate that there might be some other solar systems with planets, maybe a very rare phenomenon. Now we know they are actually the majority of solar systems (extrapolated from the couple of hundreds we found right around us) and that there are really many very odd and spectacularly eccentric planets and solar systems. And that there are many planets that at least have the positional possibility to carry life. Or the form of the Milky Way - recently it was discovered that the spiral form isn't really what it looks like. And so on.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

precision posted:

I don't mind the Olympics existing but dear bleeding Jesus who actually watches that poo poo?

Curling is actually pretty chill to get baked and watch, admittedly.

Lots of people watch and enjoy the olympics including me, for most of the events its the only time you really get a chance or bother to watch it on TV. It's a fun event.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Winter Olympics is all about hockey and curling. I couldn't give less of a poo poo about any other sports in Sochi.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Skeleton is the only Winter Olympic sport worth watching.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Decius posted:

I agree. Just take planets. When the original series was done we could only speculate that there might be some other solar systems with planets, maybe a very rare phenomenon. Now we know they are actually the majority of solar systems (extrapolated from the couple of hundreds we found right around us) and that there are really many very odd and spectacularly eccentric planets and solar systems.

I don't know much about this but it sounds awesome, are there any good recents books on this that you recommend?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

IRQ posted:

Ah, the universal (pun not intended) symbol for "thar be reruns on tv this week for no good reason."

NBC loses money on the Olympics at this point if I remember 2012 right. The most memorable part of which was the horrible logo that was Lisa blowing Bart, and Mittens' dancing horse.

2012 was the best Olympics you shut your whore mouth :argh:

:britain:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
America had more gold and overall medals than anyone, so yes. It was a good Olympics.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Congrats you're the fastest at skating around this ice rink

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Boogaleeboo posted:

America had more gold and overall medals than anyone, so yes. It was a good Olympics.

Think you need to go for the table relative to population and sports funding there mate

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Rarity posted:

2012 did give us Queen Elizabeth II and James Bond jumping out of an airplane, so there is that.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Rarity posted:

Being the best Olympics is like winning the Special Olympics.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

2012 also gave us the TV show that wasn't at all a rip off of the Aussie show (albeit by people who've made this type of TV before) but still really good - 'Twenty Twelve'. Worth a watch if you like mockumentary TV comedies. The games themselves were awesome too, and we did a surprisingly good job and everyone here actually seemed happy for a few weeks for a change.

Don't care as much about Winter Olympics but I'll probably watch ridiculous amounts of it anyway, especially if the online delivery is as good as 2012 was.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
We won medals in equestrian, taekwondo and the men's gymnastics. Take that, world :smug:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

It's a shame there's a comma in that sentence because equestrian taekwondo is something I would actually watch.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Skeleton is the only Winter Olympic sport worth watching.

What Olympics are you watching? :stare:

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I just know there's a luge relay for the first time ever and I am so curious as to how that works. Do they have to pass a baton? :lol:

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

IRQ posted:

They only lost money like once (I think in 2010). They unexpectedly made money and got great ratings in 2012 in spite of internet backlash.

I remember in 1998 the second CBS' coverage of their final Winter Olympics ended NBC put their Olympic rings on everything (including on their station here in New York). Those games bombed big time in the ratings. Didn't help that they were in Sydney and started in the middle of September. Plus they showed absolutely nothing live except for the basketball gold medal game.

At least now they stream everything online live, plus I heard they're gonna show all the figure skating on cable live.

Can't wait for the backlash when they interrupt the closing ceremonies for something else again. This time it's Growing Up Fisher

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Broad City is pretty great.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I'm excited to have all of my tape delayed events interrupted for 10 minutes of Mary Carrillo telling us poo poo we already know about Russia followed by an overproduced human interest piece about the American athlete's trumped up sob story.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Will the Beeb have something as awesome as what they had for the London Olympics? Their system was pretty drat snazzy.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I asked on another forum, and it sounds like it should be a similar setup.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Joramun posted:

Being the best Olympics is like winning the Special Olympics.

Watch them run, watch them fall. Watch them try to catch a ball, Olympics..... Special Olympics. Watch them laugh, watch them drool, watch them fall.. into the pool.. that's diving.. At the Special Olympics.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.
Olympics are nice, winter Olympics are great: curling !!! Hopefully the russians will again chose their team through a model agency this year.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Dantes posted:

Olympics are nice, winter Olympics are great: curling !!!

Ski Jump is cool because there's an element of danger and a high skill threshold not present in the other events.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

Ski Jump is cool because there's an element of danger and a high skill threshold not present in the other events.

Figure skaters are literally dancing on knives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What's odd is this year I'm seeing a lot of not-nbc networks preempt their programming and I really don't recall that happening in the past. I didn't think, in general, that the Olympics were a large enough ratings draw that the other prime time networks would be worried about viewership for their shows.

• Locked thread