Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Dick Grayson has always been way more laid back than Batman. He would probably get along pretty well with this version of Ollie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I can see Dick being more of a jokester. Think in a mix between Ollie's physical prowess with Barry's charm (using as basis this show's depictions at least).

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

Is Starling supposed to be a Boston analogue in the DC universe out of curiosity? One of the establishing shots last night was the Prudential Center and Boston and Moria mentions there are 600,000 people living there which is (about) the population of Boston.

Also, I think Katie Cassidy is a pretty good actress but her makeup people don't know what the gently caress to do with her.

You know, I was wondering this myself one week when they had an establishing shot of the nightclub. According to Wikipedia, it has varied a lot, but the most consistent analogues seem to be either San Francisco or Boston.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've never even seen a half credible Nightwing rumor at all. The only thing Nightwing related was that one dude from the other CW show saying he wanted to play it on the show. The Moira running for mayor rumors were never rumors at all. They came from people actually getting pictures of the set during a campaign rally for her.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Dick Grayson has always been way more laid back than Batman. He would probably get along pretty well with this version of Ollie.

Dick's run as Batman, with Damian as Robin, was excellent for this very reason. Suddenly Batman was laid back, cracked some jokes, and was upbeat, while Robin was grouchy, violent, and macabre. ... I could've dealt with a much longer run of Bruce's absence.

I'd love to see Nightwing on Arrow because it'd be great to see Ollie interact with a more experienced vigilante. Someone who's been doing the no-kill thing for a while, dealt with some of the weirder poo poo, and could impart a few words of wisdom while they go on an adventure together. It's an interaction we never really get - Ollie's new to this and introducing even newer people to the world of superheroes and villains.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Jason can also work on his own and even Tim, Damian's the only one who can't work without referencing Batman directly.
Edit: I am dumb and got Tim confused with Todd. Man Todd Red Hood in Arrowville would be pretty cool and did happen in the comics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_Todd#Red_Hood_again

wargames fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jan 31, 2014

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Amell would fit better with the NDP to be honest.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Part of the fun of Nightwing is that he's a badass vigilante who's not a raging dickhole. He's proof positive that batman's an rear end in a top hat because he's an rear end in a top hat, not because the job made him into one.

And while I too have wondered if the Prudential Center was being used for the city shots, I vaguely remember reading that the show often uses Toronto for those types of establishing shots.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Okay, what's the deal with this Suicide Squad shenanigans? Spin off show? Mini series? Direct to dvd movie?

Also, what happened to Summer Glau? Not that she's missed or anything, but they haven't done anything with her character all season. :iiam:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Krad posted:

Okay, what's the deal with this Suicide Squad shenanigans? Spin off show? Mini series? Direct to dvd movie?

Also, what happened to Summer Glau? Not that she's missed or anything, but they haven't done anything with her character all season. :iiam:

Ollie's not CEO so he doesn't run into her anymore.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Krad posted:

Present day Slade is actually Summer Glau in a mask.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Aphrodite posted:

Ollie's not CEO so he doesn't run into her anymore.
He's still CEO, we've seen him working in his office many times even since Moira was released.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Krad posted:

If they're smart, it's DC trying to pull a Marvel with TV shows instead of movies.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Have we even seen Glau since the trip to Russia?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

gently caress me running, this man wants me to love him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dear Mr Amell, please run for President of Television.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm only a recent acquaintance of this Amell fellow but yeah I'm starting to think he's pretty cool.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hcreight posted:

I thought Arrow got good ratings (for the CW) though? I do watch Arrow on hulu every week, and the CEO of the CW has said in the past that Netflix streaming is a huge part of their model.

He's right about the Hall.

zoux fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 31, 2014

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Rhyno posted:

Dear Mr Amell, please run for President of Television.

of America, you mean.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

jscolon2.0 posted:

of America, you mean.

Alas, he's ineligible.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

hcreight posted:

He's so great. :allears:

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

zoux posted:

I thought Arrow got good ratings (for the CW) though? I do watch Arrow on hulu every week, and the CEO of the CW has said in the past that Netflix streaming is a huge part of their model.

He's right about the Hall.

It does. That post was just an addendum to an earlier post about the show getting good ratings (for the CW) last night.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Amell is awesome because he's usually the nicest dude in the world. But when he thinks something is unfair/wrong/evil, he is loving brutal. So far he's been spot-on on every thing I've seen him rant about. His facebook is the polar opposite of almost every other celebrity's twitter/facebook.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

hcreight posted:

This is really stupid. Yes, Nielsen ratings take time shifted viewing into account, and yes, smart companies do rely on them when buying ads (certainly more than popularity on iTunes or :lol: piracy :lol:). Declaring them pointless and irrelevant because his show broadcasts on the one major US network that doesn't care about them is arrogant as hell.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

JohnSherman posted:

This is really stupid. Yes, Nielsen ratings take time shifted viewing into account, and yes, smart companies do rely on them when buying ads (certainly more than popularity on iTunes or :lol: piracy :lol:). Declaring them pointless and irrelevant because his show broadcasts on the one major US network that doesn't care about them is arrogant as hell.

Yeah, unfortunately his rant is something I think all of us would like to believe in, but it has no basis in reality actually.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm legitimately sad I can't afford a trip to Washington State in April, because I would totally be at the Nocking Point release party. :sigh: Being poor sucks.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Warmachine posted:

I'm legitimately sad I can't afford a trip to Washington State in April, because I would totally be at the Nocking Point release party. :sigh: Being poor sucks.

I have a friend who is going and I'm considering murdering him for his ticket. Not really, but I just wish I had the $ to go because it is not that far from me! Darn kids and rent and having to pay bills and all this grown up stuff. :argh:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Rhyno posted:

Have we even seen Glau since the trip to Russia?
She was in the two Solomon Grundy episodes, mostly to talk poo poo about Moira.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrianWilly posted:

She was in the two Solomon Grundy episodes, mostly to talk poo poo about Moira.

D'oh, I forgot. At least she's sticking t the sidelines and not ruining my enjoyment of this show like everything else she pops up in.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Yeah, unfortunately his rant is something I think all of us would like to believe in, but it has no basis in reality actually.

I'm enamoured by the baseball stuff :kiddo:

He's right about it being an outdated model for judging a show's popularity. He's wrong about advertisers ignoring it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mooseontheloose posted:

Is Starling supposed to be a Boston analogue in the DC universe out of curiosity? One of the establishing shots last night was the Prudential Center and Boston and Moria mentions there are 600,000 people living there which is (about) the population of Boston.

Also, I think Katie Cassidy is a pretty good actress but her makeup people don't know what the gently caress to do with her.

Well, Starling has to be on the West Coast because the Island is in the South China Sea and they got there by taking the Queens Gambit.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

muscles like this? posted:

Well, Starling has to be on the West Coast because the Island is in the South China Sea and they got there by taking the Queens Gambit.

They are rich, they are exactly the sort of people that would sail the long way around for funsies.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

hollylolly posted:

I have a friend who is going and I'm considering murdering him for his ticket. Not really, but I just wish I had the $ to go because it is not that far from me! Darn kids and rent and having to pay bills and all this grown up stuff. :argh:

Oh, the ticket is the cheap part. It's the $800+ I'd have to spend to go from Michigan to Washington. Plus spending money for the silent auction, and general tourism.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Warmachine posted:

Oh, the ticket is the cheap part. It's the $800+ I'd have to spend to go from Michigan to Washington. Plus spending money for the silent auction, and general tourism.

Well, if it makes you feel any better I'm even poorer than you. ;)

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

hollylolly posted:

Well, if it makes you feel any better I'm even poorer than you. ;)

Now he feels bad for himself and you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

There's this thing called the Panama Canal.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

I've always assumed Star City to be in the Pacific Northwest, simply because every time Ollie lives in a real city in the comics, it's always Seattle.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Star City in the comics has switched coasts more than once. It's not consistent.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So, in the DC universe there are all these stand in cities like Gotham and Metropolis but also actual cities like NY and Chicago right? (Also are Gotham and Metropolis both supposed to be NYC?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

So, in the DC universe there are all these stand in cities like Gotham and Metropolis but also actual cities like NY and Chicago right? (Also are Gotham and Metropolis both supposed to be NYC?)

Metropolis is north of NYC, Gotham is in New Jersey. The Atlas of the DCU had the at the time agreed upon locations of all the fictional cities marked on a map.

• Locked thread