Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

XyloJW posted:

If I did, it would be because Ron Jeremy taught me it's how I should solve problems.

E: man, I wish that wasn't his username right now.

You have the power to change that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time to read Zinn
Sep 11, 2013
the humidity + the viscosity
Furthermore, in the context of that quote, Obama does not mean upward mobility has stalled in the sense that people are no longer moving upward, but in the sense that the rate of people moving upward has remained where it is. Ambiguous language, sure, but it is made all the more clear by his contrasting "stalled" upward mobility with increasing corporate profits. So actually, the point that upward mobility has remained unchanged is an affirmation of what Obama said. That may sound like a stretch, but the alternative interpretation is that Obama said, literally, that no one is improving their station in life.
e; If I said, "Grades are up, Budgets are up, but High School attendance has stalled", I do not mean that no one is going to High School. There is an implied (rate) after High School.

Time to read Zinn fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 30, 2014

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I've been seeing an alleged LBJ quote of "I'll have those niggers voting Democrat for the next 200 years" going around. Is that a real quote? I haven't been able to find a source.

Did LBJ travel to the future to make the GOP racist?

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

kelvron posted:

You have the power to change that.

Actually I don't. Mods can't do namechanges, only admins can.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

XyloJW posted:

Actually I don't. Mods can't do namechanges, only admins can.

You fool! Only my fear of being renamed "Pope Benedicksucker" has kept my seething hatred and contempt for you from spilling out into every post.

Now that I know you are powerless, you will never be safe from my merciless and cunning insults...jerkface!

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Doctor Butts posted:

The minimum wage hike is only going to affect 1% of people but will also result in an astronomical rise in the cost of good for the consumer. Something about those viewpoints doesn't seem to add up.

In the end, everything comes down to the Fascist point of view that the enemy is both incredibly strong and incredibly weak at the same time.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

BBJoey posted:

In the end, everything comes down to the Fascist point of view that the enemy is both incredibly strong and incredibly weak at the same time.

Nah it's the conservative perspective that any change in the status quo (at least any that is actively created rather than a consequence of the continuation of the status quo) risks destroying literally every part of civilisation and society as they know it.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I've been seeing an alleged LBJ quote of "I'll have those niggers voting Democrat for the next 200 years" going around. Is that a real quote? I haven't been able to find a source.

On top of everything else said by everyone else, this is also more of the far right's prodigious projection ability; specifically with regards to the Southern Strategy.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

BBJoey posted:

You're not describing fascism, you're describing the motivating paranoia of every political movement or ideology, good or bad, that has existed across the course of human history. Really, if anything, Fascist states were notable for not emphasizing the strength of their enemies.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Actually 2% of American workers make minimum wage (link), but what percentage of people make below what the new minimum wage will be? Bet it's higher than 2%, which is why that statistic is misleading.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Some states have a minimum wage about the federal as well. So technically they're above it but in those states typically the cost of living can be higher than other places (e.g. Massachusetts, California) especially in urban areas that a slightly higher min wage isn't helping.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009
I just Poe'd myself. I tried to beat someone to the obvious crazy conclusion they were headed towards, hoping that arriving there too early would get them to recoil in horror. My facebook comment was subsequently liked and now they consider me a kindred spirit.

I guess if you play with fire, you get burned.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
You can't not get a screenshot of that.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

You can't not get a screenshot of that.

I'd have to heavily edit it beyond Social Fixer's Anonymize option. Company names are mentioned as well as plenty of first names/nicknames.

usbombshell
Oct 29, 2004

Boom!
I cannot screenshot at the moment, but locally a police K9 was stabbed and after a couple of surgeries and a slight improvement, he died. People are upset and the Facebook pages for the local news have outpourings of RIPs, "hang the scumbag that did this", "killing a police K9 should be the same as killing an officer"...you know, the usual.

And then, right in the middle, there is this guy:

"How'd you folks react to what went on at the embassy in Libya?"

Always gotta be BENGAZI-ing, don't we?

E: A second post spotted this morning, by a different person, on a different news source, as a response to a local story about a dog:

"RIP Glen Doherty, Tyrone Woods, Sean Smith, and Ambassador Chris Stevens
The Americans of Benghazi who were swept under the rug because it was politically inconvenient for Obama."

usbombshell fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 31, 2014

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

usbombshell posted:

I cannot screenshot at the moment, but locally a police K9 was stabbed and after a couple of surgeries and a slight improvement, he died. People are upset and the Facebook pages for the local news have outpourings of RIPs, "hang the scumbag that did this", "killing a police K9 should be the same as killing an officer"...you know, the usual.

And then, right in the middle, there is this guy:

"How'd you folks react to what went on at the embassy in Libya?"

Always gotta be BENGAZI-ing, don't we?

A dumb sort of friend shared this middle-aged white guy "rap" response to the Macklemore don't-hate-gays thing.

quote:

We've all heard Macklemore's song called "Same Love." He's the hypocrite who pushes tolerance and acceptance while being intolerant and unaccepting of those who disagree. That's me "rapping" and my daughter Sam singing!

Lyrics - Joe Pags
When I was 3 years old, I started watching the news,
I’d observe and feel bad for people facing the blues,
I cared for the people, their stories hard times and their glories
But, I never got a lift thinking about who they wanted to sleep with
Fast forward to Obama-times, these rappers with their catchy rhymes ignoring Benghazi, Spying our economy dying..
Instead they force their thoughts on us, insult if we want to discuss they push tolerance and acceptance as they force us to the back of the bus.
Sorry, that doesn't work for me.. if you want me to accept your thoughts you don’t get to reject my thoughts
I accept you and love you and get that we don’t see eye to eye.. but, you don’t get to preach those words of love while dumping hate by my side.
You have your beliefs and I have mine.. but, stop lying to the masses acting like anything goes passes if I’m against what you’re pushing accept it … I won’t hold my breath I don’t expect it..

And I can't change
Even if I tried
Even if I wanted to
And I can't change
Even if I tried
Even if I wanted to
My love
My love
My love
She keeps me warm
She keeps me warm
She keeps me warm
She keeps me warm

as you say I should accept you, and love would not reject you – you tell me why I’m dead wrong for feeling you’re not singing my song..
You denigrate my beliefs saying we’re from the same tree just different leaves, I have to agree with you or shut my mouth, sorry funny haircut that’s just not what I’m about.
I have an idea for you, if you’re having trouble seeing my view.. if you care to do something positive for me and you .. accept my disagreement and make your argument less vehement.. show me some tolerance and I’ll see your side clearer before you cast aspersions be sure you look in the mirror
Don’t you get it? You’re telling me what I should or shouldn't feel depending on YOUR take – that’s your spiel. You want me to say you’re right.. if I disagree, then it’s a fight.
As MLK said, now get this through your head – you bring change through peace not violence or incitement – you want tolerance and understanding.. then check the judgements where you’re standing
Today it might be hip to call me out because I refuse to stop being so devout.. you say all love is the same.. putting down religion is your game.. you have the inside track on the truth you claim.. sorry, from my perspective.. my brother, that’s just insane..

Look at all these rappers, ignoring Benghazi. Shameful.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
If you want some serious ragegasm, you can listen to this anti-gay rewrite of "Same Love" by an actual Christian rapper, which compares homosexuality with pedophilia.

http://blog.chron.com/jesusmusik/2014/01/houston-christian-rapper-bizzle-offers-song-response-to-macklemore-ryan-lewis-same-love/?cmpid=hpts

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

Actually 2% of American workers make minimum wage (link), but what percentage of people make below what the new minimum wage will be? Bet it's higher than 2%, which is why that statistic is misleading.

I bet even if you opened up to say a dollar over minimum wage you'd catch a pretty big percentage of Americans. When I was in high school I worked at Wendy's and when I started I made more than minimum wage. I made $5.20 instead of $5.15 in ~1997. Later, I did make minimum wage because the state of Florida raised the rate to like $5.50 and I made like $5.40. So I made minimum wage for like a month before getting a .05-.10 raise over the Florida minimum wage.

Also, as far as the whole idea that only kids worked minimum wage jobs. That is so not true, most of the workers were adults. For workers under the age of 18 the times you could work were pretty restrictive. If you only ate fast food during dinner or weekends it might seem like it. Most of the adults worked during the week and had weekends off to be with their families.

So hard to believe people (try to) make it on 15,000-16,000 a year.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Exactly trying to frame it at people making EXACTLY minimum wage cutting off people who make a nickel more is just an attempt to push the issue away as irrelevant.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

socialsecurity posted:

Exactly trying to frame it at people making EXACTLY minimum wage cutting off people who make a nickel more is just an attempt to push the issue away as irrelevant.

Unsurprisingly, this was a constant canard in the late minimum wage thread. This would be brought up, debunked, the debunking ignored, then the same bullshit "only 2% make exactly minimum wage" would be brought up 5 pages later.

You will never win with people who consider facts as just a cynical means to push ideology, to be discarded when convenient.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

oh dear lord, a local meteorologist had to post a debunk of a conspiracy theory

Link

apparently, there's something floating around that the government put something artificial in the snow or engineered it or some bullshit

this loving country :suicide:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

VitalSigns posted:

Unsurprisingly, this was a constant canard in the late minimum wage thread. This would be brought up, debunked, the debunking ignored, then the same bullshit "only 2% make exactly minimum wage" would be brought up 5 pages later.

You will never win with people who consider facts as just a cynical means to push ideology, to be discarded when convenient.

It's also quite possible that they had no recollection of the debunking because they disagreed with it. The human mind has a remarkable capacity to filter out contradictory information if at some fundamental level it feels like a threat.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Got a good one today:

Anyone got a link to the ANY DAY NOW Tumblr?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Agents are GO! posted:

Spooky.

Anyway, it's here: http://seriouslyanydaynow.tumblr.com/

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Yeah, that's why I was asking (google turned up nothing.)

EDIT:

I think I'm not doing to well on this one.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 31, 2014

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

usbombshell posted:

Fwiw, the police treat their dogs as if they were officers. A police dog being stabbed will draw the same "officer down"response as an officer being stabbed.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ron Jeremy posted:

Fwiw, the police treat their dogs as if they were officers. A police dog being stabbed will draw the same "officer down"response as an officer being stabbed.

Well until they leave that officer in a car on a hot day and it dies of dehydration then it gets downgraded to "police resource".

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Agents are GO! posted:

EDIT:

Your first mistake was moving away from the nuclear issue. Iran has never had the capacity to build a bomb, and refining uranium isn't the only reason they want nuclear power. Hell, it's probably not even the main reason. The MAIN reason they want nuclear power is to wean themselves off dependence on imported refined fuels--they have plenty of oil and gas in the country, but none of the refinery infrastructure, since all of that was destroyed back in the Iran-Iraq War. Lest we forget, that lasted for a full decade.

So Iran is EXTREMELY vulnerable to outside sanctions on gasoline and other such things, which is why they want nuclear power--they can supply that themselves for much less of a comparative cost. Now, of course, the reason they want it is to be no longer vulnerable to sanctions and thus able to act more freely in the Middle East, but one thing at a time.

EDIT: Also, geopolitically speaking, if Iran DID acquire a nuclear bomb they have A. no method to deliver it as far as the US, and B. Why would they want to? Iran isn't a terrorist organization writ large, they're a relatively well-functioning nation-state, albeit one which has had an extreme bent to it since the coup (but, again, we have no-one to blame for that but ourselves). Iran has no reason to want to bomb DC or Los Angeles like Ted Cruz wants you to be terrified of. They know as well as anyone that that would provoke retaliation in kind, and indeed in more than kind.

Tel Aviv is theoretically possible, but personally I doubt that even if it came down to war between the two Iran would fire the first nuclear shot. Iran is more sane than North Korea, who have been building nukes like crazy and have had no end of cheap excuses they could have used to use them. Given that Seoul isn't currently a radioactive crater...

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 31, 2014

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

I really dislike it when people do disingenuous stuff like this. It's like that Eddie Izzard (I think) quote: "guns don't kill people, people kill people. But I think the gun helps"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
Don't forget that we supported fully an invasion of their country by a dictator who used chemical weapons on them. Iran has never used WMD, unlike our proxies.

usbombshell
Oct 29, 2004

Boom!

Ron Jeremy posted:

Oh I wasn't making light of that part. I am in criminal justice, and the news stories were heartbreaking-they called all of the K9 officers to the emergency vet to see the dog pass, images of officers crying, they announced his death over the police scanner, they saluted the dog's flag draped body when they wheeled it out on the gurney, a bagpiper played, then there was a processional of police cars as they transported the K9 down the highway, past his handlers house and to the crematory, the mayor spoke and ordered the city flag's at half staff for today.

I was watching and reading all of this on one of our news station's Facebook pages, just bawling and reading all of the heartfelt condolences, people were posting pictures of their dogs with little signs, and...BOOM...BENGHAZI.

slush
Jun 23, 2006
Thank you for calling....

Poizen Jam posted:

Excuse the grammar/spelling- I believe the prof is ESL and I'm not sure I want to bring up the implications of such a discussion.

I had this professor during my time at MUN. The unfortunate thing is that his English is so awful and incomprehensible I honestly think something was lost in translation. Clearly a very awful topic to be given, but, I still have (some amount of) faith in humanity that he didn't set out to write what he wrote.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Agents are GO! posted:

Got a good one today:

Bringing in the Donald Duck cartoon pisses me off, since the original was part of an anti-Nazi propaganda cartoon Disney did that showed how poo poo life would be under the Nazis. Literally 180 degrees different than the used context, but that's never stopped this kind of poo poo before.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

usbombshell posted:

Oh I wasn't making light of that part. I am in criminal justice, and the news stories were heartbreaking-they called all of the K9 officers to the emergency vet to see the dog pass, images of officers crying, they announced his death over the police scanner, they saluted the dog's flag draped body when they wheeled it out on the gurney, a bagpiper played, then there was a processional of police cars as they transported the K9 down the highway, past his handlers house and to the crematory, the mayor spoke and ordered the city flag's at half staff for today.

I was watching and reading all of this on one of our news station's Facebook pages, just bawling and reading all of the heartfelt condolences, people were posting pictures of their dogs with little signs, and...BOOM...BENGHAZI.

Well... Maybe the dog was... Stabbed in the back?

Also, I wish there was at least some amount of respect paid for the number of dogs killed by police just as a matter if course.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Agents are GO! posted:

EDIT:

If you're going to try to compare someone to Neville Chamberlain, you really need to be able to point to a series of aggressive actions that suggest a pattern of insatiability. Also, don't forget that "Appeasement" refers to the year or two prior to Germany's invasion of Poland prior to 1939. We're not talking about a 40 year history, it's two years of extremely rapid buildup and aggression. In 1933, Germany was spending around 3% of it's GDP on it's military, that's pretty modest, by 1939 it was up to 32%.

Iran's military spending has been around 2-3% for the last 10 years. If they suddenly shot up to 20% it'd be different story.
In this light, Desert Storm sounds like a pretty reasonable move. Iraq had been massively increasing their military strength and then moved to invade a neighbor.

If the United States had ignored Iraq, I think that a comparison to Chamberlain would make sense, it's a similar scenario and I wouldn't be surprised if Iraq expanded it's ambitions further.

But Iran? Their military spending has been pretty modest and their nuclear progress always seems to be measured in terms of time "Over the last 2 years, they've gotten two years closer to the bomb!"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ron Jeremy posted:

Well... Maybe the dog was... Stabbed in the back?

Also, I wish there was at least some amount of respect paid for the number of dogs killed by police just as a matter if course.

Yeah it's similar to people killed by police. Police dog gets killed and it gets a day of mourning. Your dog is shot by police when they bust in your door on bogus information and you get beat if you complain.

Swarmin Swedes
Oct 22, 2008

Agents are GO! posted:

EDIT:

I would say your problem is you are letting him get away with a ridiculous comparison just "for the sake of argument". Force him to defend each characterization because his equivocations are bullshit. Then you can move onto the other issues, when you let him set the conversation as Iran = Nazis it's pretty tough to come up with any reasonable defense because it isn't grounded in reality at all.

Hell point out that Iran hasn't invaded a country in well it's modern history, you can however point out how it has been invaded and hit with sanctions. Point out that the two most aggressive states (Israel and pre-invasion Iraq) both targeted Iran.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Agents are GO! posted:

EDIT:

The United States, which has nuclear weapons and has used them before against civilian populated areas, and just recently invaded two countries near Iran and spent a decade engaged in military action in those nations, says it's unacceptable for Iran to have nukes because they might pose a danger to the region. :ironicat:

Carrie must've watched a bomb go off to be so blind.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
It kind of reminds me of this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Um... they're the BAD GUYS and we're the GOOD GUYS duh.