Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

As much as I agree with you about monsters being inhuman and unreachable, the funny thing about the Thing is how you're not really correct about it. Rob Bottin's storyboarded pitch that got him the job on the movie was to talk Carpenter through the heart attack scene (complete with head crab) from the perspective of the Thing, with it's thoughts and motivations. Basically the Thing's sole motivation is to survive. It seems to also absorb all the thoughts and biology of its host. When Thing-Norris started having a heart attack, the main motivation was "Great! Now I can play dead, and everyone will leave me alone!". It's difficult to conceptualize however because as shown, with this creature even a single cell is autonomous from the rest, and upon separation has its own thought process.

Yea part of what makes The Thing so re-watchable is observing the behavior of the Thing and trying to figure out what its motivation is for doing what its doing in a given scene. You can't get any of that on first viewing because you're so busy trying to figure out who's a Thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Grand Piano came out on itunes today. Any good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEoM7bM7KVw

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Harminoff posted:

Phonebooth II: The Concerto, looks good.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Harminoff posted:

Holy poo poo that looks amazing.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

After you guys were talking about it, I finally watched Return of the Living Dead.

Holy poo poo, I hate myself for not watching this sooner! It was so well paced, great shots, great effects.

I can totally see why people hate the sequel. I watched it first a long time ago, and thought it was alright, but the original blows it away.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

The Senator Giroux posted:

After you guys were talking about it, I finally watched Return of the Living Dead.

Holy poo poo, I hate myself for not watching this sooner! It was so well paced, great shots, great effects.

I can totally see why people hate the sequel. I watched it first a long time ago, and thought it was alright, but the original blows it away.

It is a well constructed film, I'll its borderline film as opposed to movie. Very efficient. edit: You can probably find sites that have deconstructed it frame by frame.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Harminoff posted:

Am I seeing Wood's real hands moving in some of those shots?

Today on Showtime I finally saw Phantoms(1998). It was pretty decent, especially for a late 90's horror. I wonder why nobody ever saw that, to the point of being a running gag in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. Maybe because it was a monster movie and the trend had already skewed towards masked slashers? Maybe because no one seems willing to say it's a monster movie? It's a monster movie. I really enjoyed how the plot kept you guessing for some time. It ended rather abruptly, but that's alright. Also, I really dug the Nigel Neal style story once we had an idea of what was going on.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Choco1980 posted:

Am I seeing Wood's real hands moving in some of those shots?

Yes.

quote:

“That was me,” Wood confirmed at “Grand Piano’s” press conference, explaining that the fleet fingers flying across the ivories were nearly always his own.

“All the music was pre-rendered in animatics in almost demo-like form. It was, for all intents and purposes, fully finished. We’d listen to and I would play along. It was almost like Automatic Dialog Replacement, but for physicality,” he told Variety.

Wood’s remarkable hand-synching – he admitted to having piano lessons as a child – will be seen on commercial release from Oct. 25, when Paramount releases “Grand Piano” in Spain.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Choco1980 posted:

Today on Showtime I finally saw Phantoms(1998). It was pretty decent, especially for a late 90's horror. I wonder why nobody ever saw that, to the point of being a running gag in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. Maybe because it was a monster movie and the trend had already skewed towards masked slashers? Maybe because no one seems willing to say it's a monster movie? It's a monster movie. I really enjoyed how the plot kept you guessing for some time. It ended rather abruptly, but that's alright. Also, I really dug the Nigel Neal style story once we had an idea of what was going on.

The lack of popularity is probably because it's an adaptation of a Dean Koontz novel. He's the sort of 'novel a month by horror mad lib, cheap knockoff Stephen King' that nobody really likes unless they're stuck in an airport.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.

a foolish pianist posted:

The lack of popularity is probably because it's an adaptation of a Dean Koontz novel. He's the sort of 'novel a month by horror mad lib, cheap knockoff Stephen King' that nobody really likes unless they're stuck in an airport.

Every Koontz novel sells a billion copies. Their poo poo, but I wouldn't say nobody likes them.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Novel a month by horror mad lib is actually a pretty good way to describe Stephen King as well.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Are the Phantasm movies any good? I remember the commercials for those on TV when they actually had their theater run when I was a kid (I am old). They looked cheesy but potentially scary.

edit: ah crap, I missed out on Burnt Offerings before it was taken off Netflix streaming.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Volume posted:

Novel a month by horror mad lib is actually a pretty good way to describe Stephen King as well.

Stephen King was tight as hell in his earlier years. Don't judge him by the later half of his career.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Zwabu posted:

Are the Phantasm movies any good? I remember the commercials for those on TV when they actually had their theater run when I was a kid (I am old). They looked cheesy but potentially scary.

Watched Phantasm II back when I was...jeez, I dunno, nine or so? Even back then, I wouldn't say it was scary so much as creepy and gross? But incredibly cheesy and over-the-top, too. Nine-year-old me loved it, but I don't know how I'd feel about it now.

Also:

Zwabu posted:

Stephen King was tight drunk as hell in his earlier years. Don't judge him by the later half of his career.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

The Phantasm movies are great. They're simultaneously strange and dreamlike and wacky cornball, while being one of the most original horror series I can think of. What creator Don Coscarelli does to end the fourth movie (and the series) is remarkably ballsy from an editing standpoint.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Choco1980 posted:

The Phantasm movies are great. They're simultaneously strange and dreamlike and wacky cornball, while being one of the most original horror series I can think of. What creator Don Coscarelli does to end the fourth movie (and the series) is remarkably ballsy from an editing standpoint.

Agree 100%. As odd and cheap and low budget and lead actor replacing for one installment as they are, they're still some of my favorite horror flicks. I dread the day a remake is greenlit.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Phantasm II is my favorite. The death-balls really shine in that one, the scene wear it tears through the one guys whole body is one of my favorite horror bits.

I can also, honestly say, that I like the Tall Man as much as like Pinhead. Tall man doesn't even need to attack you, he just stares at you and you instantly understand that he can't be hosed with.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I watched the Phantasm movies over the summer....

1st one, good movie if you like the characters.
2nd one, almost a direct continuation of the story. Very slow but provides some resolution.
3rd one, bad. Not worse than most movies from that time but it gets weird and you just have to like the series to watch it.
4th one, weird. All weird. What is the series about any more? You realize you have invested so much time into these characters and the same ideas are recycled since the 1st movie. Talking about the series is far more fun than watching it. Watch the first one and walk away IMO.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

temple posted:

I watched the Phantasm movies over the summer....

1st one, good movie if you like the characters.
2nd one, almost a direct continuation of the story. Very slow but provides some resolution.
3rd one, bad. Not worse than most movies from that time but it gets weird and you just have to like the series to watch it.
4th one, weird. All weird. What is the series about any more? You realize you have invested so much time into these characters and the same ideas are recycled since the 1st movie. Talking about the series is far more fun than watching it. Watch the first one and walk away IMO.

The same thing it always has been. But not necessarily what you think it is. I could talk for length about it, but it'd be spoiler-filled.

Short answer: Mike's having a series of nightmares as he deals with the grief of losing his brother so soon after his parents. The very end of part 4 where they show him back as a kid again is him waking up and moving on finally after such an elaborate fantasy world.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Hey, Stephen King put out Joyland all of a few months ago, and that wasn't bad at all. Not really horror, but eh.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

epoch. posted:

Have your protagonist autistic child watching Sesame Street in broad daylight while his mother cleans up his scattered pasta from the kitchen floor and Elmo breaks in mid-sentence of his song, and the background musical number is drowned out by static and the other muppets continue their dance, oblivious, and Elmo looks directly at the child, and tells the child he will eat his soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtsdoVPpxSM

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Phantasm II might be one of my favorite horror films just for the balls to make it a road film.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Phantasm might be one of my favorite horror films just for the balls.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

schwenz posted:

Phantasm II is my favorite. The death-balls really shine in that one, the scene wear it tears through the one guys whole body is one of my favorite horror bits.

I've only seen the second movie, probably about 20 years ago, and that's the only scene I remember. Well, that and a low rent Michael Ironside picking up a hitchhiker and fighting some jawas.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Choco1980 posted:

Short answer: Mike's having a series of nightmares as he deals with the grief of losing his brother so soon after his parents. The very end of part 4 where they show him back as a kid again is him waking up and moving on finally after such an elaborate fantasy world.
I can see that. I think watching all 4 movies together really made me realize Phantasm is closer to a Lovecraftian horror. However, the signal to noise ratio is abysmal. The ending of 4 was sort of satisfying (seeing Reggie in the ice cream man suit again)but it felt like a slog to get there.

temple fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jan 31, 2014

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Yeah, they're not classics by any means, but the tone of them is great.

A good director could probably condense all four movies into on awesome horror film.
There might even be enough good bits for a really good editor to do it with what exists.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

schwenz posted:

Yeah, they're not classics by any means,

The first one is. One of my favorite horror films of the 1970s, and that decade was very kind to the genre.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Watching Phantasm I learned that you can open a locked door with a hammer and a shotgun shell.

So there's that I guess.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Watching Phantasm I learned that you can open a locked door with a hammer and a shotgun shell.

So there's that I guess.

That's one of my favorite parts. It's probably a good thing I don't have any shotgun shells lying around because I probably would've tried to see if that works at some point.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

You don't really need to see the sequels after the first one, but they're still lots of fun. The first movie on the other hand you can tell so much that it was written in a very short amount of time by a guy who didn't know what he was going to make, just that it was going to be scary. There's so many moments where Coscarelli is just throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks, whether it's the crazy shotgun shell lockbreaker just mentioned, or the big bug scene or what. The only part that really doesn't work at a painful level is "Myrt" the housekeeper's jump scare. She pops up way late in the movie just to scare you by walking around a corner, and she's not mentioned before or after at any point.

For the record, this is also a great film for the commentary track, regardless of which version you have. The gang obviously had fun making the film, and they all still have a good time talking about it. Also, it taught me to play "Spot the XX" in the film. See, the Dos Equis company made a deal with them to front a big chunk of the budget, in return for product placement in the film, which was no problem for the cast and crew. They thought they'd get maybe like a few packs and like a sign to use or something, and instead, a whole truckload of the beer was sent to them. So you find bottles and boxes for the stuff everywhere in the film if you're looking close.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
That's kind of neat. I remember watching it in college and wondering what the loving deal was with all the Mexican beer.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm bored, what's a good horror movie I should watch?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Volume posted:

I don't often watch horror movies, but when I do I watch Phantasm.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

That's one of my favorite parts. It's probably a good thing I don't have any shotgun shells lying around because I probably would've tried to see if that works at some point.

I vividly recall asking my mother if we had any shotgun shells around. She was not amused at the idea.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Volume posted:

Phantasmagoria 2: A Puzzle Of Flesh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCBJFDWANF4

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

I remember getting stuck at the point where the dumb security guard shoots you.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Drunkboxer posted:

I remember getting stuck at the point where the dumb security guard shoots you.

Click on the door, not the guy, dum dum!

rawdog pozfail
Jan 2, 2006

by Ralp
Never ever watch Crowsnest ever.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Click on the door, not the guy, dum dum!

Oh that clears it up! I can't remember the specifics of the puzzle at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Drunkboxer posted:

Oh that clears it up! I can't remember the specifics of the puzzle at all

Calling any sequence in Phantasmagoria 2 a puzzle is extremely generous.