Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

mad.radhu posted:

a ticket came in: what has been working fine since the company started is suddenly unacceptable

Anyone have any suggestions for video conferencing that isn't google hangouts or Skype? My company has decided these are no good apparently and wants something else.

You could try shovelling money at Cisco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Well, like I said it's 50/50 day-to-day and projects for me, projects is where I want to be.

One more thing, my boss says the HR guy would definitely approve Lead Systems Admin, but Engineer sounds weird and I may be asked to demonstrate why I'm qualified for that. if I do a Hail Mary for the Systems Engineer title, are there any job listings that say in plain English "create helpdesk system, create Wifi network, plan this and that"? Everything I find online is written in this Careerist/Government jibber-jabber poo poo. Finding System Administrator that match up with my job exactly are way more common.

skipdogg posted:

We use Tandberg equipment. It's stupid expensive but works great. I think we have 75+ units across the world.

Is it bad that the only thing that comes to my mind is Tandy?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 30, 2014

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

KennyTheFish posted:

We use Tandberg equipment. It's stupid expensive but works great. I think we have 75+ units across the world.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
We are doing this big quarterly company meeting thing and jumping through so many hoops with Intercall. I don't understand why the hell we can't use Lync. We pay all this money, IT is SUPER familiar with it, yet we need to turn everything in to a big old production.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

skipdogg posted:

You can find used/refurb equipment for super cheap, I've bought a few recently.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Anyone here do video tutorials or walkthroughs for common helpdesk solutions? We're thinking about doing that here. Is Camtasia still the thing to use, or...? I'm a bit out of touch.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We've been buying 1700 MXP's off of ebay recently for important people's offices

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

evol262 posted:

Engineer means "my primary job is projects, not handling day-to-day admin issues", basically. You don't have to be designing datacenters or anything.

skipdogg posted:

This is my experience as well. Admin is day to day, Engineer is projects and then there is the ever elusive Architect

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

That's terrible.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
gently caress's sake. New company has decided we must switch from our convenient and easy swipe-card based time clock to some poo poo that requires logging in. So our procedure is about to change from:

1> Swipe card. The End

to

1> Log in to computer. The time clock computer is used for other things, so you may need to switch users.
2> Connect to the VPN if not already connected.
3> Log into ADP's lovely JAVA BASED horseshit.
4> Clock in.

The worst part is that this sort of setup is clearly designed for a situation where everyone comes in to work in the morning and sits down at their own computer and is able to access the site directly without any VPN fuckery. Most of the users here DON'T HAVE COMPUTERS. So we're gonna have a giant loving queue of pissed off and confused users on Monday morning.

I need out. Out Out Out so badly. :[

edit: oh my loving god, this lovely app REQUIRES an old version of Java and won't run with anything else. My head explodes.

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 30, 2014

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

skipdogg posted:

So, yeah, shoveling money at Cisco.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

babies havin rabies posted:

A database schema came in. Adding 'WHERE' as a field in a SQL table: Bad idea or extremely bad idea?

Possibly even terribad but will the DBMS even allow that?

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Galler posted:

I'm really afraid to even try. When I told them it was a bad idea they said to forget about that field entirely. Solves that problem. :shrug:

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

skipdogg posted:

I like(d) Tandberg, hate the new Cisco units since the buyout.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

some poo poo that requires logging in.
I hate hate hate when your clock-in time requires work related tasks to get to and imho it should be illegal unless you pad people's start times to account for that.

I used to work at a call centre where as soon as you put yourself "on the clock" then you had to take calls. So you weren't paid for the time you spent turning on the computer, reading any instructions by email, talking to your boss, etc. Such bullshit.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Gunjin posted:

I like(d) Tandberg, hate the new Cisco units since the buyout.

There's quite a bit that is out now that was late in development or already released by the time the Cisco buyout happened. The C series codecs, and the E20 were all released Pre-Cisco. The EX90/EX60 and the SX20 are really the only hardware releases since buyout.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

odiv posted:

I hate hate hate when your clock-in time requires work related tasks to get to and imho it should be illegal unless you pad people's start times to account for that.

I used to work at a call centre where as soon as you put yourself "on the clock" then you had to take calls. So you weren't paid for the time you spent turning on the computer, reading any instructions by email, talking to your boss, etc. Such bullshit.

The place my brother worked at did this poo poo. They're currently on the receiving end of a class action suit because their computers were such poo poo people would be in the office but not getting paid on average of an hour a day, more if their boss wanted to chitchat.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

n0tqu1tesane posted:

There's quite a bit that is out now that was late in development or already released by the time the Cisco buyout happened. The C series codecs, and the E20 were all released Pre-Cisco. The EX90/EX60 and the SX20 are really the only hardware releases since buyout.

The C series were developed pre cisco? Then I hate Tandberg. Compared to the MXP codecs the C are such a pain in the rear end to work with.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Galler posted:

If you quote it properly, yes.

You should always quote your names anyway. Doesn't make naming a column "where" any less stupid though. Just name it "location" instead.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Gunjin posted:

The C series were developed pre cisco? Then I hate Tandberg. Compared to the MXP codecs the C are such a pain in the rear end to work with.

Yeah, it's a pretty big change. The newer software releases are a lot better though. It was like going from a Classic series to an MXP. Worlds of difference.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

He's... a character. But more than not, I find myself agreeing with the poo poo pay, increased responsibilities, and lack of recognition. He was a brilliant tech, the main issues with him was that you could set your watch to how late he'd be in, he was somewhat... brusque to be around.He also had a recent string of absences and no-calls. He's also suffering from depression... I'm kind of hoping that he pulls himself together after this, he was sort of a mentor like figure to me here with regards to learning new stuff here.

VvvvV : The writing is on the wall here. I've seen two senior techs ragequite out of here, I've been given a laughable offer for fulltime (25K, what?!), and consistently see missed marks between my employer and the promises to the employees in the org. I'm trying to pull the eject handle into a YOTJ.

This flameout feels like the symptoms listed in The Rands in Repose article called bored people quit.

Except this guy didn't just put in his two weeks and go. He's tearing the roof off of this bitch first.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

ZetsurinPower posted:

I can say that some of the people on our helpdesk are worth 25k and not a penny more (of course, they make almost double that so its a career for them). Thats what happens when you staff your helpdesk with 40 year old ex-secretaries :(

We had an honest-to-God massage therapist working Helldesk at my previous job. I tried to not get down on her, but drat she could not remember poo poo. One of my other co-workers told me that the lady had the recall of a goldfish and quite literally asked the same question every week about how to do a procedure she'd been doing for several years. It was a lightbulb moment and spurred me to YOTJ out.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Daylen Drazzi posted:

We had an honest-to-God massage therapist working Helldesk at my previous job. I tried to not get down on her, but drat she could not remember poo poo. One of my other co-workers told me that the lady had the recall of a goldfish and quite literally asked the same question every week about how to do a procedure she'd been doing for several years. It was a lightbulb moment and spurred me to YOTJ out.

I think I've explained four times now what the reqs are for this one piece of software to my coworker, and I have no doubt the next time it comes up I'll be explaining it for the fifth time. It's not like it's rare, it's used by all the doctors, the physician group and their support staff, and medical records. And the requirements aren't complicated either, just Adobe Reader 9.3 for printing, Java v6u7 for transcription, and entering admin credentials for the first printing so the .cab can install off the site. A pain in the rear end, yeah, but that should just make it more memorable.

A THING I GOT TO HEAR TODAY:

FOTO tech support posted:

Well when we designed the update we didn't consider IE8; we're surprised by the number of people calling in about it!
This is healthcare software you are lucky they aren't running IE6 still jesus

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

hihifellow posted:

A THING I GOT TO HEAR TODAY:

This is healthcare software you are lucky they aren't running IE6 still jesus

It's a rough cycle, because the people developing the software are poo poo, and the people using the software are poo poo, and the actually-IT savvy people who get in on both ends are getting paid peanuts and don't give a poo poo, or give a poo poo for all of 3 months until they go insane and drink themselves into oblivion every night until they can YOTJ.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

odiv posted:

Anyone here do video tutorials or walkthroughs for common helpdesk solutions? We're thinking about doing that here. Is Camtasia still the thing to use, or...? I'm a bit out of touch.

psr.exe! Super sweet if your users can open a zip file unassisted. I have to host them on a webserver :downs:

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 31, 2014

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

KennyTheFish posted:

You have to use the Cisco MoneyShovel™ 7900. Otherwise the licensing doesn't work right.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Agrikk posted:

The Rands in Repose article called bored people quit.

For my exit interview, I'm just going to write down that link.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Sonic Dude posted:

You have to use the Cisco MoneyShovel™ 7900. Otherwise the licensing doesn't work right.

That's the Small Business model. For real Enterprise level shoveling you really need to go up to the 7945.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

n0tqu1tesane posted:

That's the Small Business model. For real Enterprise level shoveling you really need to go up to the 7945.

And you're going to need at least 10 hours of consultant time in order to learn the proper procedure and posture for correct use of your new Cisco MoneyShovel™. Failure to qualify for your Cisco MoneyShovel™ Operator's Permit will void the warranty on all Cisco MoneyShovel™ related items, as well as any future purchases facilitated by the use of your Cisco MoneyShovel™.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Well, yeah, to get an operational configuration on it you're going to need at least a CCNP MSO (MoneyShovel™ Operations), and for full effectiveness you should definitely hire a CCIE MSO to look it over before putting it into production.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

What's SmartNet running for a MoneyShovel these days?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Yeah, it's a pretty big change. The newer software releases are a lot better though. It was like going from a Classic series to an MXP. Worlds of difference.

Since the later 5.x and now 6.x updates, I've found that C40s/SX-20s to be a lot better. The C20s are still garbage for some reason, but thankfully most of those are deployed in locations where people don't use them often.
I'm actually running into issues with new Cisco units connecting back to our Tandberg MXP 880s, the calls work, its just they look like butt compared to the new gear talking to each other. Wish the webUI on the Cisco stuff was half as good as it was on the Tandbergs, it was a lot more useful.

The price on equipment though, goddamn. C40 with 12x zoom and multisite was close to 20k.

I'm going to continue to bitch about video conference. I was on the road for 5 hours today driving to a site to help them setup a new conference room. Back in Dec when this project was dumped on me, myself and a Project Manager (who was great at that job) started planning the room. I was dragged to a new project, the PM was mysteriously let go and things went downhill. I've been on the road too much to have time for this, and the PM this was assigned too just kinda shrugged his shoulders and let things happen.

So now I had to order some stupidly expensive TA3 cables off of Amazon because now they suddenly don't want to see microphone cords and want them ran through conduit. I could have ordered a single XLR to TA3 extension cable, those are cheap, but cords are now bad. They apparently thought VGA cables carry audio, and no composite cables were ran from the laptop station at the back of the room. Time to find some wireless speakers or hope this laptop can send a bluetooth signal to the front of the room to a soundbar (it probably can't, if it even has bluetooth).

In a previous location, they bought and mounted 2 TVs on opposite walls so people sitting at the table didn't have to turn their precious heads to look at the TV at the front of the room. This had a side affect of making their audio quality poo poo because they had a ceiling mounted mic and now no one was looking at it when they talked.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 31, 2014

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

AlternateAccount posted:

The worst part is that this sort of setup is clearly designed for a situation where everyone comes in to work in the morning and sits down at their own computer and is able to access the site directly without any VPN fuckery. Most of the users here DON'T HAVE COMPUTERS. So we're gonna have a giant loving queue of pissed off and confused users on Monday morning.

I need out. Out Out Out so badly. :[

edit: oh my loving god, this lovely app REQUIRES an old version of Java and won't run with anything else. My head explodes.

Sounds like eTime. Only works with some version of Java 6, and the further from it you get the worse it works. At least my company lets you 1) use swipe cards or 2) call a 1-800 number or 3) log in to eTime and clock in.

Nemo2342 fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 31, 2014

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Definitely eTime. We have punch machines (that HR didn't set me up for :mad: ) and eTime, and nobody likes eTime, not even most of HR, who "own" it at our org. If I wasn't able to edit my own timecard by some fluke of access rights I probably would have started logging my times by excel spreadsheet and sending it to my boss.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

skipdogg posted:

What's SmartNet running for a MoneyShovel these days?

Oh you poor misguided fool, SmartNet inexplicably doesn't exist for this product. The only way you can get ongoing support is to have one of our VARs come onsite and do it for you. In exchange for sacks full of cash they will ignore your calls and act as though your custom is irritating to them.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

babies havin rabies posted:

I'm really afraid to even try. When I told them it was a bad idea they said to forget about that field entirely. Solves that problem. :shrug:

If your RDMS is sane then SQL keywords are reserved and can't be used as field names. Even Oracle manages to enforce this so I'd be surprised if the others didn't.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

CitizenKain posted:

Since the later 5.x and now 6.x updates, I've found that C40s/SX-20s to be a lot better. The C20s are still garbage for some reason, but thankfully most of those are deployed in locations where people don't use them often.
I'm actually running into issues with new Cisco units connecting back to our Tandberg MXP 880s, the calls work, its just they look like butt compared to the new gear talking to each other. Wish the webUI on the Cisco stuff was half as good as it was on the Tandbergs, it was a lot more useful.

The price on equipment though, goddamn. C40 with 12x zoom and multisite was close to 20k.

What software version is the 880 running? Try disabling the h.264 codec on the 880, I know there have been some compatibility issues with the particular version of codec that the MXPs run that can lead to video quality problems.

And yeah, the C20s are junk. Great idea, but the hardware is junk. There's a reason that they released the SX-20 instead of just updating software on the C20s.

CitizenKain posted:

I'm going to continue to bitch about video conference. I was on the road for 5 hours today driving to a site to help them setup a new conference room. Back in Dec when this project was dumped on me, myself and a Project Manager (who was great at that job) started planning the room. I was dragged to a new project, the PM was mysteriously let go and things went downhill. I've been on the road too much to have time for this, and the PM this was assigned too just kinda shrugged his shoulders and let things happen.

So now I had to order some stupidly expensive TA3 cables off of Amazon because now they suddenly don't want to see microphone cords and want them ran through conduit. I could have ordered a single XLR to TA3 extension cable, those are cheap, but cords are now bad. They apparently thought VGA cables carry audio, and no composite cables were ran from the laptop station at the back of the room. Time to find some wireless speakers or hope this laptop can send a bluetooth signal to the front of the room to a soundbar (it probably can't, if it even has bluetooth).

In a previous location, they bought and mounted 2 TVs on opposite walls so people sitting at the table didn't have to turn their precious heads to look at the TV at the front of the room. This had a side affect of making their audio quality poo poo because they had a ceiling mounted mic and now no one was looking at it when they talked.

One of those big Audio Science mics? Yeah, those can be problematic if you don't pay attention to the sound design in the room. Make sure that you have the volume on the TV that's facing into collector on the ceiling mic turned way down or muted. I've seen the audio coming out of a display facing into the ceiling mic cause the codec's audio cancellation kick in and knock the system volume down low enough until it is barely audible.

A few condenser table mics are almost always better for conference rooms though. We usually only use the Audio Science ceiling mics in classrooms, or places where you have an audience facing one direction.

We also use VGA cables with built in audio cables like this one on most of our conferencing installs these days. Simplifies getting audio from the PC quite a bit.

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013
An email came in....

asyoucansee
thespacebar
onmykeyboard
nowdoesnot
functioneither
sohope
youcan
resolvethis
formesoon

pfffft :D

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Reply that they can use Alt-032 to enter a space and close the ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Collateral Damage posted:

Reply that they can use Alt-032 to enter a space and close the ticket.

All of these years of computers and somehow I still get my mind blown. I have never known that Alt codes existed.

I'm bad at this, aren't I?

• Locked thread