Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Fax Sender posted:

please tell me about some of these companies

Electra, Vantage, Aria Pro II, Maxx, Cutler, Cortley, Aims, Memphis, Westone, Lotus, and Arai (among others) tend to make quality stuff. You can also look into the 80's Squiers (MIJ) along with Greco, Orville, and Burny for stuff that hasn't had its price bloated by guitar collectors. The problem is that while these are good deals, a lot of people selling them don't or didn't know what they had so they may be in need of a setup, but that's true of any vintage gear.

Other deals: Peaveys and Samick guitars from the 90's

Declan MacManus fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

mclast posted:

hahahaha hotdamn

that's awesome though

White Dog Eggs posted:

Do ESP even makes guitars that aren't horrible?

my cousin used to have an older m-ii, it was by far the nicest instrument i've ever played, even compared to prewar martins and custom made stuff

mclast posted:

word, that all makes sense. thanks. the history is super cool and i don't know it

i mostly think of ibanez/esp/kustom from the guitar shred rep they build in the 80s, and i understand a lot of music but serious metalheads are like a different species from me

ibanez actually got into the marketing to shred metal dudes thing pretty late, like around 86/87. before that most of their customers were fusion jazz dudes and george benson

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 31, 2014

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
The old Harmony stuff was solid as hell but its all been jacked up by collectors in recent years. You used to be able to get a Harmony bass from the 60's that sounded just as good as pretty much any modern P-bass for like 150~ ten years ago but now they're all way more than that. Sears knew how to make a quality product that would last.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Declan MacManus posted:

japanese based companies that copies the designs of fender and gibson wholesale while using the fujigen gakki, hoshino gakki gen, and matsumoku woodworking factories to produce bomb rear end instruments at cheap prices

fujigen also handles fender's mij production (also licensed as allparts). which makes it all the more weird that when fmic bought jackson/charvel they shut down their factory and moved their upper-level import line to the ensenada factory instead of getting fujigen to take over

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
which factory handles japanese jackson production because my pro series dinky is actually pretty solid

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
none since like 2003

e: 2012 it turns out. anyway they were made by chushin gakki

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 31, 2014

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Declan MacManus posted:

and most of those companies still produce wholesale copies of fender and gibson guitars in japan because copyright law is funky (basically you can infringe upon others' designs as long as you "improve" the original design which is nebulous enough that you can do what the gently caress ever)

the end

tl;dr: japanese guitar companies own

See Edwards: http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/

If you go down to the menus at the bottom they don't even try to hide it by changing the model type, i.e. LP = Les Paul, SG = SG, EX = Explorer etc.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The old Harmony stuff was solid as hell but its all been jacked up by collectors in recent years. You used to be able to get a Harmony bass from the 60's that sounded just as good as pretty much any modern P-bass for like 150~ ten years ago but now they're all way more than that. Sears knew how to make a quality product that would last.

Some Harmony stuff is still cheap and most of the vintage stuff is still about the same or less than the reissues

It's all St. Vincent's fault, god drat anime ladies making my gold foils more expensive

Anyways if you want a good quality bass for cheap now you can get a Peavy Fury (made in the good ole' USA) for under 200 bucks or some Aria Pro II poo poo for less than 500 and both are built like brick shithouses

(only crazy guitar deals itt)

Rob Ford
Aug 12, 2013

by XyloJW

stolen from here:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/guitar-owners-clubs/166151-ugly-guitar-owners-club.html

Have you guys building your own monstrosities given any thought to an ugly strap to match your ugly guitar? I'm sure that SA-mart could come up with some pretty ugly poo poo for cheap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCCVzkhWvy0

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Declan MacManus posted:

Electra, Vantage, Aria Pro II, Maxx, Cutler, Cortley, Aims, Memphis, Westone, Lotus, and Arai (among others) tend to make quality stuff. You can also look into the 80's Squiers (MIJ) along with Greco, Orville, and Burny for stuff that hasn't had its price bloated by guitar collectors. The problem is that while these are good deals, a lot of people selling them don't or didn't know what they had so they may be in need of a setup, but that's true of any vintage gear.

Other deals: Peaveys and Samick guitars from the 90's

I might be in the market for a cheap guitar to play chords and distortion. For something halfway decent and as cheap as possible (under $300), would I, as an uninformed, out of practice fool be better off going with an Agile, or taking more time and going through that list of brands?

My Gibson V2 would be worth more to an ugly guitar aficionado than it is to me sitting here collecting dust.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Snowy posted:

I might be in the market for a cheap guitar to play chords and distortion. For something halfway decent and as cheap as possible (under $300), would I, as an uninformed, out of practice fool be better off going with an Agile, or taking more time and going through that list of brands?

My Gibson V2 would be worth more to an ugly guitar aficionado than it is to me sitting here collecting dust.

You would probably be better off with an Agile to be honest. Vintage guitars can have all sorts of problems that are beyond you while modern production line guitars all tend to be looked at fairly well, and Rondo in particular has really good customer service and if something doesn't work out of the box you can return it without too much problem

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Snowy posted:

if you just want something cheap to dick around with either agile or yamaha are your best bet

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
My first real guitar was a $300 agile. Great instrument, needed some small fret work and a setup but 7 years and 3 guitars later and I still enjoy playing it.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Snowy posted:

it really depends on your skill level, what you'll be using it for, and how much effort you want to put in.

If you need something cheap for home practice, the squier line has been OK for the last 7 years or so. I prefer bullet to affinity, and the vintage modified line to either of those, just check for basic setup and how well the frets are dressed. If you fret the first and last fret of the low E string, the string should be close but not touching the frets all in between. If it's touching, don't buy, and if the neck looks really obviously bowed, don't buy. If you run your hand along the length of the neck and you can feel the frets against the side, don't buy. Pretty much any major brand is going to follow this guideline, squier by fender, ibanez, peavy, and on down the list.

My favorite performance guitar is a Dan Electro I got used for $200, but it also took me going to a store every other week for a few months, checking out their used stock, and having enough experience to be able to tell quality. bring the most experienced player you can, if it's just you i'd suggest buying something new because the quality will be more consistent.

play something with single coils and something with humbuckers, that's the biggest division between guitar tones, and see if you have a clear preference. after that ignore the other styles and goto A, up top there.the more experienced you are, and the more time you have to shop, the closer you should check out less well known brands.. but also, the easier it will be for you to form your own opinions anyway

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

Jack White demonstrates the importance of wood in guitar tone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ7DZ7HPXck

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

mclast posted:

hahahaha hotdamn

mclast posted:

that reminded me this dude exists

plz dont troll. stephen carpenter and claudio rule

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

i enjoy stephen carpenter's band but i lol at his bradshaw fridge

also do not joke about enjoying coheed and cambria please

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
i think he cut his needlessly complicated setup down to an axe-fx which is no less mockable, but at least it's a more reasonable size

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

like, i dig deftones, but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woR6ohiFeYE

c'mon if you need that much processing to get your guitar sound you probably need to switch amps or some poo poo, drat

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Declan MacManus posted:

tl;dr: japanese guitar companies own

Yup.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
Let's stop trying to change the Deftones, ok.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

RevusRangerous posted:

Jack White demonstrates the importance of wood in guitar tone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ7DZ7HPXck

To be fair that was terrible, sounded and like like butt.

Jack White sucks, he tries to pretend that he's saving the blues but he only plays lovely revisionist bullshit .

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Can we just agree that all musicians suck and are terrible and turn this back from the "post your opinions on bands" thread to the "post ugly guitars" thread

I mean even if it wasn't 8 strings this loving thing

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I just like making GBS threads on all the kookiest aspects of guitar playing, from the Faustus dad-like horrorshows to the one chord djentstick hardcore kids with 8 string guitars. Everything owns and everything sucks. Once you accept the catch 22 of embarrassment that is any hobby, you will achieve earthly enlightenment such as I have.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Spanish Manlove posted:

Everything owns and everything sucks.

:respek:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I mean 8-strings are pretty silly but I unironically like a lot of metal that frequently uses those (although some of the best and heaviest bands make do just fine with using 6-strings), and I bet they'd be fun to play

Bass on the other hand...I don't know why I hate my 5-string like a red-headed stepchild, it's a great bass. 4 strings is enough for me, I guess.

Troglyfe
Jan 2, 2014

Spanish Manlove posted:

Everything owns and everything sucks.

I feel like this notion can be applied to a lot of things in general. :gbsmith:

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Troglyfe posted:

I feel like this notion can be applied to a lot of things in general. :gbsmith:

the zen of hatred

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Can we just agree that all musicians suck and are terrible and turn this back from the "post your opinions on bands" thread to the "post ugly guitars" thread

Right. I found this (guy?) on blogspot a while back, don't want to post his name or URL in case he finds this thread.
But if you google the word 'pooky' but replace p with a j, you'll find it.

he's done some cool stuff imho, whatever your views of relics I think this looks good

(except there's a painted pattern on the headstock I could do without)

BUT... then he does things like this. I dunno man, I don't even know.
they can't be commissions surely? and if not, do / would people buy these?

he also seems to have done a lot of paisley guitars

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Fair Hallion posted:

BUT... then he does things like this. I dunno man, I don't even know.
they can't be commissions surely? and if not, do / would people buy these?

this is what my cum looks like

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lol

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

mclast posted:

this is what my cum looks like

My cum is also capable of being used as paint stripper.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
is.. is there a website for doctors appointments? i'm asking for a friend

Dirt
May 26, 2003

This is cooler than the surf board guitar. Those guys should be friends

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

skudmunky posted:

Speaking of ugly electric violins, I made this during my last year of high school.

Useless cutaway? check. Extra string? check. Gotta get that C string for warm viola sounds :3

Pretty much a testbed for my handwound violin pickups. Sounds... alright, but it is almost unplayably heavy.

If I ever get around to making another one there's a whole bunch of functional things I would do.

djent violin

djentolin

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
violdjïn

the umlaut over the i is for flavor

e: vïöldjïn

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I mean even if it wasn't 8 strings this loving thing

If you can't laugh at everything then you deserve to laugh at nothing

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Declan MacManus posted:

If you can't laugh at everything then you deserve to laugh at nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Declan MacManus posted: