Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Irradiation posted:

To be fair it is a really stupid name.

Also it's spelled Synyster. :smug:

IN MY DAY THIS WAS ALL FIELDS *has stroke, dies*

empty baggie posted:

Synyster's Schecter

Huh, I probably could have made that pretty easily actually. That headstock is horrible, looks like a pubic louse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valtaherra
Feb 23, 2007

It's a personal pineapple

man thats gross posted:

lmao who plays

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
You know good times are ahead when you start a band and the bass player shows up with one of these:

Valtaherra
Feb 23, 2007

empty baggie posted:

Synyster's Schecter

As a left handed player on a reasonable budget, I found that a lot of what is available to me is Schecters, and aside from not appearing to be particularly well-built instruments, they literally all look like they were designed by a 13-year-old goth shut-in jackass, trying to be brutal or whatever dumb poo poo

Not to mention that literally every video of a guy playing one in existence has like the worst technique and tone, save for maybe Jeff Loomis sometimes

gently caress Schecter, gently caress being left-handed, gently caress whoever thinks this poo poo is cool:

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Valtaherra posted:

As a left handed player on a reasonable budget, I found that a lot of what is available to me is Schecters, and aside from not appearing to be particularly well-built instruments, they literally all look like they were designed by a 13-year-old goth shut-in jackass, trying to be brutal or whatever dumb poo poo

Not to mention that literally every video of a guy playing one in existence has like the worst technique and tone, save for maybe Jeff Loomis sometimes

gently caress Schecter, gently caress being left-handed, gently caress whoever thinks this poo poo is cool:

If you're left handed, why don't you use your strong hand for the frets? I find it works great.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Valtaherra posted:

this is the dude who runs the company, so that's probably not too far off the mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAK4Qv4hs9c

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

CSM posted:

You know good times are ahead when you start a band and the bass player shows up with one of these:

i'm pretty sure fat mike had one just for laughs

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Valtaherra posted:

Buy one and spray it pink or purple or something. Anything that stupidly shaped needs to be as obnoxious as possible.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

Valtaherra posted:

man both of those are so close, and yet so far, to something i might like

edit:

White Dog Eggs posted:

Buy one and spray it pink or purple or something. Anything that stupidly shaped needs to be as obnoxious as possible.

exactly if it wasn't trying to be grimdark this could be kitsch-cool

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Concatenation posted:

Well as luck would have it:

This is the Djentstick, one stringed fretless low tune instrument i've made myself featuring an active EMG81 pickup thru a Line 6 Pod XT.
All the audio was recorded only using the Djentstick!
Believe it or not!
Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhOYflyfOPM

see emgs always sound the fuckin same

(i kind of want to make one tbh)

Valtaherra posted:

gently caress me no gently caress you buddy that poo poo is kind of neat looking

man maybe i'm not cut out for hating guitars

e: also schecters are really well built instruments

Valtaherra
Feb 23, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

gently caress me no gently caress you buddy that poo poo is kind of neat looking

man maybe i'm not cut out for hating guitars

e: also schecters are really well built instruments

I dunno, every Schecter I've ever held didn't seem of reasonably high quality, maybe i'm full of poo poo. i'm left handed, after all, so i'm loving backwards

as for that one being neat looking, that's literally the best looking Schecter i've ever seen so take that as you will

also

Declan MacManus posted:

see emgs always sound the fuckin same

this is the truest of statements

Valtaherra
Feb 23, 2007

GOT A EXTRA TITTY posted:

If you're left handed, why don't you use your strong hand for the frets? I find it works great.

If I'd thought of that 15 years ago, maybe. But as has been mentioned, strumming is like using a wooden block for a pick and I'm really not interested in starting over again (even though I gripe literally everyday that being a left-handed instrumentalist is the worst thing ever)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Valtaherra posted:

I dunno, every Schecter I've ever held didn't seem of reasonably high quality, maybe i'm full of poo poo. i'm left handed, after all, so i'm loving backwards

i can't vouch as to the qc on the left-handed instruments buuuut their higher end stuff in the diamond series (corsair, s-iii, solo-6) is all good stuff

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The hellraisers aren't bad, even if the inlays are kinda dumb, but they're really not worth the price. I've never really playe a shector or a dean that I really liked. But then again I bought a mockingbird just because of all the coiltap/phase/veritone poo poo on it, that it played really well, and how fucktarded it looked so uh yeah.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
only kid i've know who liked schecter also liked line6. he had bad taste is what i'm saying

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat
EMG's are good if you use a shitload of pedals and effects and naff as hell for anything else. They cost a fair bit too and I swear I install them in half of my builds, you can get better pickups for a third of the price easily, or just wind your own using dirt-cheap ceramic magnets.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

mclast posted:

only kid i've know who liked schecter also liked line6. he had bad taste is what i'm saying

uhguhguhosvasdas

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
:twisted:

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
fender < line6 < roland < johnson < vox, for modelling poo poo i've used, with vox being vastly, head and shoulders better

edit: cause really fender modelling is just awful

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
at that point everyone should just do what stephan carpenter does and use a laptop plugged into the pa because why the gently caress not

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

hahahaha hotdamn

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
fyi his guitars are bridge/middle like that because he thought it looked cool lmao

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Spanish Manlove posted:

at that point everyone should just do what stephan carpenter does and use a laptop plugged into the pa because why the gently caress not

That laptop better be made from Honduran Mahogany otherwise his tone is going to be horrible.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

mclast posted:

hahahaha hotdamn

Do ESP even makes guitars that aren't horrible?

AchtungBaby
Dec 5, 2007

Is that Dino Cazares after doing a gastric bypass?

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
that reminded me this dude exists

White Dog Eggs posted:

:rock:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

White Dog Eggs posted:

ronnie wood's tele looks good

I admit that hanneman's urban camo/digi camo guitars look kinda dumb, though I loved them even if they werent his old jackson. he had one that was the heinekan logo but said HANNEMAN on it and that ruled

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

White Dog Eggs posted:

Kirk Hammett's ouija board guitar.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

White Dog Eggs posted:

it is really weird how all the lawsuit companies now push some of the most horrid looking poo poo imaginable

Spanish Manlove posted:

ronnie wood's tele looks good

I admit that hanneman's urban camo/digi camo guitars look kinda dumb, though I loved them even if they werent his old jackson. he had one that was the heinekan logo but said HANNEMAN on it and that ruled

that one does rule, does he still use it

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

mclast posted:

that reminded me this dude exists

:rock:

Everyone knows you can't play a slayer song without a abusing the gently caress out of a whammy bar. 2/10

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
lawsuit companies?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Declan MacManus posted:

it is really weird how all the lawsuit companies now push some of the most horrid looking poo poo imaginable

that one does rule, does he still use it

i hope so, satan's bard needs something to play down there

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

mclast posted:

lawsuit companies?

After the craziness of the 60's, all the Japanese guitar makers started making copies of Gibson guitars. They were usually just as good quality for half the price so Gibson flipped their poo poo. Copy-era Ibanez guitars sell for shitloads.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

i hope so, satan's bard needs something to play down there

aw i forgot he was the dead one

reign in peace

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

mclast posted:

lawsuit companies?

japanese based companies that copies the designs of fender and gibson wholesale while using the fujigen gakki, hoshino gakki gen, and matsumoku woodworking factories to produce bomb rear end instruments at cheap prices, examples include
-ibanez
-esp/edwards
-fernandes/burny
-aria
-yamaha
-greco/goya/kustom
-tokai
-takamine

and most of those companies still produce wholesale copies of fender and gibson guitars in japan because copyright law is funky (basically you can infringe upon others' designs as long as you "improve" the original design which is nebulous enough that you can do what the gently caress ever)

the end

tl;dr: japanese guitar companies own

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Declan MacManus posted:

japanese based companies that copies the designs of fender and gibson wholesale while using the fujigen gakki, hoshino gakki gen, and matsumoku woodworking factories to produce bomb rear end instruments at cheap prices, examples include
-ibanez
-esp/edwards
-fernandes/burny
-aria
-yamaha
-greco/goya/kustom
-tokai
-takamine

and most of those companies still produce wholesale copies of fender and gibson guitars in japan because copyright law is funky (basically you can infringe upon others' designs as long as you "improve" the original design which is nebulous enough that you can do what the gently caress ever)

the end

Best part is that the Japanese Gibson copies are literally superior because they fixed the frail headstock and pickup placement problems whilst making them lighter and better balanced. If you can get your hands on a decent 70's copy of a Les Paul (Satellites were made by Fujigen Gakki and can be brought for under £200) you'll see what I mean.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Declan MacManus posted:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

There are lots and lots of under the radar companies that have obscure branding on them that are all up to the same level of build quality (although sometimes with inferior pickups or whatnot) because they all came from those factories, it's absurd

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
word, that all makes sense. thanks. the history is super cool and i don't know it

i mostly think of ibanez/esp/kustom from the guitar shred rep they build in the 80s, and i understand a lot of music but serious metalheads are like a different species from me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass

Declan MacManus posted:

There are lots and lots of under the radar companies that have obscure branding on them that are all up to the same level of build quality (although sometimes with inferior pickups or whatnot) because they all came from those factories, it's absurd

please tell me about some of these companies

• Locked thread