Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

A post from the guy who won the elite tournament: http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2879

quote:

I said in the tourney thread that I spent ~2.5K HP in total, but upon doing the math, I spent 300 on entry, 200 on boosts (once was on accident because I hadn't noticed the changes, the other for a critical unshield in the last hour of the event), and 3150 on shields for a total spend of 3650. Take out the delta from the shield spend on seed team grinding and you're looking at a realistic spend of 2150 under normal circumstances to run my team with my strategy. A roughly 5 to 1 return on investment under normal circumstances, but still nearly 3 to 1 in actuality for this event for me. Still not bad at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

chrisf posted:

A post from the guy who won the elite tournament: http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2879

Yes, not a bad investment, for the top 3 people, that is.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Captain America is super good in maggia events, just FYI. Pair him up with magneto now and a strike tile generator and you're golden.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I love how the bottom most reward for most events is a measly 70 ISO. It's like they're telling you to just not even bother.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
NO DOGS
NO IRISH
NO BAG-MEN

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
what's the go to build for patch or does he have multiples?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
All three of Patch's powers are good. Basically, pick which downside you like least and make that one your L3:

* Green L5 creates six strike tiles for you, but also six for them. Going to L3 makes that 3 for each side, L4 is 4.
* Red L5 does about 4-5K damage normally, double that if he's the last man standing. L3 cuts damage roughly in half, L4 boosts it slightly but if you're going to go past 3 you might as well take 5.
* Yellow is like 2* Wolvie's old healing factor: L3 only heals if enough yellow tiles are present, L4 heals less if they aren't.

5/3/5, 3/5/5, 4/5/4, 5/5/3 all have their advocates. I went 3/5/5 myself.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

I went 5/5/3 and let me tell you it's suicidal. You have to plan the use of green carefully or else everything will die.

Everything being your team.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

messagemode1 posted:

I went 5/5/3 and let me tell you it's suicidal. You have to plan the use of green carefully or else everything will die.

Everything being your team.

I'm 4 1 0 right now and not going to regret getting a fifth green. Just gotta make sure I have enough to aggressive recon first. Or have a bunch of other quick things ready.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
It's not that 5 Green is BAD. It isn't, at all. If you are prepared for it -- ready to either lock down the other team (and keep in mind that Spidey's All Tied Up is SO on the nerf queue), clear purple strikes rapidly, or be fighting all henchmen who don't move tiles around) -- 5 Green is like running angrily at a six-year-old with a chainsaw. Lots of things can happen and all of them will be quite fun to watch. If you have an OBW with 5 Black riding shotgun, she will lick her lips hungrily at the possibilities and then drop a deuce on the enemy leader's head. It's true. They have unused animations for this that might make it into R48.

5 Green is a statement. This statement is "gently caress your attempts to slow matches down, I want this poo poo over QUICKLY." Your team will be lost, drunken men and women who have heard of things like patience and longevity and want no truck with them. They have such a desire to see blood on the floor that they wear armbands and collars spiked on both sides.

Penance approves of 5 Green.

Now, 5 Red is a different story. 5 Red rewards patience, and in particular rewards indifference to the fates of your teammates. Three on three? Both teams taking casualties? Who gives a poo poo? Just keep building those sweet red tiles. Maybe use Green a few times to help put a couple of bodies on both sides. What do you care? You have a healing factor. Now, all alone? Last man standing, but a full tank of red to play with? You goddamned idiot villains, that's what he wanted.

Now every tile on the board that isn't environmental is his icon and he's going to jack you up for five-figure damage. AND add some strike tiles in case he has to do it again!

Or if you really don't care... just don't care... you can put them BOTH at 5. :black101:

Gallow
Apr 9, 2002

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Yet another thing that PaD does better than this shitheap: if your game gets interrupted by something like an automatic update, it'll load you right back in the battle and not punish you. I was about to beat the Meeting IX mission when suddenly my screen went black. The game decided that would be a GREAT time to update! I then go back into the app to find my whole team practically dead. Two more attempts at that mission with full boosts are complete failures.

gently caress this game so hard.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

One thing I like about this game better than PAD is that it doesn't have a stamina bar. Most of the late-game dungeons in PAD take 50 stamina, and the bar recharges at 10 minutes per 1 point, so win or lose, you're done for eight hours. Team health theoretically serves the same purpose, but with a healer, I can stay afloat as long as I don't screw up the bejeweled game/decide to pick a fight with a level 130 team because I'm an idiot.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Is it just me or did the AI get a massive upgrade since the funbalance? I keep getting hit by the most BULLSHIT chains from the AI. I'm willing to say I'm on a string of bad luck but its pretty consistent. I'll have a guy down to 500HP, have patch at 3k HP Thor dying at 500 and OBW hanging in at around 200. Suddenly the game is flipping out and I'm dead. This never happened to me until the funbalance. At least this also has happened to me in PvP so if the AI does cheat you Defense > attack in PvP. Which means grind up a bit and with a good team no one can touch you without boosts. You'll lose some but you should tread water with people dying to you, until all the fish quit and all that are left are sharks and whales. Eventually it'll just be the whales circle jerking.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I don't think the AI changed. I've wiped my good team maybe 2-3 times in the past few days when I pretty much never ever lost before. It's 100% due to the nerf on boosts though since I'm not using 3 all and just blue purple now. That said, and I know I sound like a broken record here, if spiderman goes above 2, I'm sure I'll die wildly more because I've already subbed punisher out for OBW and stocking blue quickly is still super scary against some mac level teams. Jugs for instance, will 1 shot anyone on my team if he gets to use his red.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
#2 with 94 minutes to go.

(It won't last.)

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
I'm hoping I'll get some more value because I dropped from 1 to 12 over the past 4-5 hours and I was planning on spending the final hour making a push for top 2.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
gently caress me, got knocked from 1st to 3rd in the last <1 minute. I was this close to having to decide how I wanted to build wolverine X-Force

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 31, 2014

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Argh. So close to #1 and kitting out my Patch fully, but I just couldn't get any blue matches to lock down those Muscles and someone slingshot past me by about 30 points. Guess I'll have to save up for that last green cover. I barely squeaked in at 100 for the main event, too, guess I'll be ready for the next event invariably requiring Daredevil to win Daredevil.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I left the events untouched thinking I'd get around to them, but when the time came closer to the end, I found I just didnt care anymore. :geno:

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Made it to top 10 for the 3 recruit tokens since my Patch is already maxed out, and top 50 in the main event for 2 daredevil covers. Top 10 would've been nice for all 3 covers but it definitely wasn't happening.

My 3 recruit tokens ended up being 2x moonstone and 1x hawkeye modern so, gently caress me.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Somehow managed to get top 5 in the small event and top 250 in the large one. So now I am the proud owner of my very first auto-healing tank, a 1/1/4 Patch that will take all the hits from now on. All of them.

I also got those Captain America covers so I guess I should do something with the guy.

Not so bad for twelve days of playing. Now to get into some lightning rounds to thank my MMR rating. Since I did well I am starting to see some really bullshit teams that my poor dudes cannot really handle. (I sure hope you can tank your rating, I am seriously getting outgunned).

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Well, I'm happy with my result of top 250 as it gets me 3 more covers for Cpt America as well as 100 HP which will go towards more hero space.

I'm really hoping I can get the 3 Thor covers as well from the 'Best There Is' event as it will let me finish him off as well.

Overall, I thought that this PvE event was pretty poo poo though. The Rubber banding made playing at any point other than near the end of each sub event pretty much useless. The Maggia dudes were basically all damage races with a little bit of board control worked in and were boring as hell.

Worst of all, of the ** recruit tokens I earned, 3 of them were Bag Man.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

Didn't bother trying in this PVE event at all; trying to fight lv230 enemies without buying all these expensive boosts was just absolutely not remotely fun on any level. I feel like I will regret not getting a DD for the Oscorp Heroic event coming up soon but I can't be bothered to care. I got 3 useless Cap covers I don't need but all in all I got a fully-covered 5/5/3 Patch so that's okay I guess.

But still, my god what were they thinking of changing the AP boost prices? High level players will always have the crew to fight or have AP battery characters to work around this, but inaccessibility to boosts will just hurt low-level beginners and discourage newcomers the most. I hope they revert this change or at least switch back to the old prices in PVE only, or start giving us hero point drops for PVP fights.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Top 100 overall.

Need blue spidey covers, but don't think I can be bothered going for top 15. :effort:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Top 500 overall, but I'd stopped caring like a day into the event. I got my 100 HP and that's all I'm asking for, really.

BWO and Magneto NOW worked great against the Maggia. If I didn't have a favorable starting board, I could just leave. With a proper board, I could prevent all of the Blue Countdown Tiles from going off, so all I had to worry about was a cascade from the Threaten skill, which could be tanked, or the Tommygun skill, which wasn't that hard-hitting. BWO's Blue would pretty much heal me to full by the end, so the health penalty for retreating was no concern at all.

Too bad I never thought about doing it earlier, would've helped me get more points on the Maggia at least.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SynthOrange posted:

I left the events untouched thinking I'd get around to them, but when the time came closer to the end, I found I just didnt care anymore. :geno:
Me too. I thought I'd rush the main map on the last day, but I did a few matches, realised the leader was 40k points ahead of me, so I got the 20k unlock and turned it off because gently caress that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Info on Daredevil from the wiki, http://marvelpuzzlequest.wikia.com/wiki/Daredevil_%28Man_Without_Fear%29 :
Purple: 11AP -- makes an environmental trap tile that steals 2 of each color when the enemy matches it. Steals one purple and moves if you match it. Points add 1AP stolen up to 6AP at 5.
Blue: 7AP -- makes a blue trap tile that stuns for 2 turns. Gives an extra blue and moves if you match it. Points add a turn stunned up to 6 at 5.
Red: 7AP -- Red trap tile that deals damage. Deals a pittance and moves if you match it (maybe double-dip strike tiles?) Points add damage. At max level/points it is allegedly 7712 damage to the enemy who pokes it!

Trap tiles can be seen by you, invisible to the enemy. Any not-power tile removal (matching it directly, matching 4 in a line with it, et cetera) sets it off. Powers that destroy tiles do not set it off (don't know if this is all abilities, or just powers that don't generate AP). Enemy tile placement CAN overwrite it (for example **Wolvie's strike tiles). I don't know if your tile placement can overwrite it, which would really affect who he can be paired with. I don't know what happens if a power changes a trap tile to a basic color tile (for example Thor's Thunderstrike), whether it removes the trap or has the same trap on the new color.

Overall he looks like he'd be a lot of fun to play with and either a pain in the rear end or trivial to play against depending on who you have.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

In other news, buffed Patch/Thor/OBW is hilarious in the current event. OBW keeps their AP down, Patch tanks with his heal, Thor gets the green AP up to 27. Three Berserker's and they're usually dead, if not you have some of Thoir's red to hit whatever's left before they get to use the strike you gave them.

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

I've been experimenting with a team of Patch/Loki/Spidey and making the board look like this is pretty fun:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Happy Bear Suit posted:

I've been experimenting with a team of Patch/Loki/Spidey and making the board look like this is pretty fun:

I've played some Patch vs Patch matches and if you don't keep the enemy's green down it gets chaotic. Strike tiles for both sides all over the green and purple, and from that point it's a race to the death.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Spent 200hp on a 2 star roll hoping to get maybe the normal or patch wolverine and I got the 4 star one instead.

Whatever i guess.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Just started playing this game, got level 12 Iron Man 35, 6 Storm Modern, 6 BW Modern and 6 Bullseye. I seem to be in a position where I am either doing PVP for virtually no reward or the only PVE fights available to me are 'deadly'. Am I doing it wrong or is this par for the course? Considering dropping a little cash on coins to speed things up but not if it doesn't change much.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

Lofty132 posted:

Just started playing this game, got level 12 Iron Man 35, 6 Storm Modern, 6 BW Modern and 6 Bullseye. I seem to be in a position where I am either doing PVP for virtually no reward or the only PVE fights available to me are 'deadly'. Am I doing it wrong or is this par for the course? Considering dropping a little cash on coins to speed things up but not if it doesn't change much.

Don't do it. The game has become pretty harsh for newcomers right now.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lofty132 posted:

Right now the game is in "suck player's wallets dry" mode. Don't drop cash or the developers will think that it is working (it also won't change much unless you drop quite a bit of $$$, prices in this game are out of whack).

I was pretty much in your position a week ago. I just grinded the regular PvE missions in order to get a few covers and tokens and played plenty of lighting rounds, since you can earn a token and some ISO by beating 2 lovely teams every 2 hours.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cashed in the two hero tokens I got for giving up on the final map. Double Bagman. Even the same loving colour of Bag-man. I think that brings me up to ten Bag-mans in like a week.

And I already have a maxed one :argh:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh wow Yellow Patch from the Tournament Token. Probably like the first time I got something decent from one of those!

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

delfin posted:

#2 with 94 minutes to go.

(It won't last.)

It didn't. Top 50. I had some repeat missions left over but didn't feel like pounding on it all night because some of us East Coasters work for a living.

As for Daredevil, if the wikia is accurate he looks pretty damned sweet:

Purple: 11 AP, Environment trap, on enemy match steals [2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6] from all AP.

Blue: 7 AP, Blue trap, on enemy match stuns for [2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6] turns.

Red: 7 AP, Red trap, on enemy match hits for [x / more / more / more / more] damage, maxing at 7712 at 141/L5.

So, potential powerhouse but with a huge random factor since you don't get to place your tiles, so it might stick it in a corner somewhere where nobody can get at it. My biggest question is this:

Bruceski posted:

Trap tiles can be seen by you, invisible to the enemy. Any not-power tile removal (matching it directly, matching 4 in a line with it, et cetera) sets it off. Powers that destroy tiles do not set it off (don't know if this is all abilities, or just powers that don't generate AP).

as that doesn't match up with, say, Bullseye's Adamantium Bones or Spider-Man's Spider-Sense behavior where only matching it directly causes the effect, and matching four counts as destroying the rest of the line, not matching it. Early reports are that you are correct and down-the-line-from-a-4-match DOES trigger the trap, offensively or defensively, but I wonder if it'll stay that way.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Pvp is actually a little bit more fun because there are fewer crabs since not everyone with a 2-bit Thorverine can stomp all over you to take 50 points a pop and not every team you face is thorverine either (variety??? In MY mpq???) And without boosting every round I'm actually earning more ISO, with obw to keep my hp afloat. Because healing is manual there's also more tactics involved in the fight itself beyond spam every ability as soon as it's up.

Patch is hilarious in this event though, ridiculous damage on his red.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Every team is now OBW/Patch/???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Every team is now OBW/Patch/???

Actually I still see more thorverines than that.

Old habits for hard (but still a lot fewer than before).