Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Since there's a lot of chat about the post-Chapter 4 slump:

I'm currently on C4 right now, and have heard people saying that there's an opportunity to skip large parts of C5 and onwards? At this point, I'm still enjoying the gameplay a lot but probably wouldn't want it to go on for another 30 hours or so. If there's opportunity to get through the rest of the game at an accelerated pace I'm up for it.

Without spoiling too much, can anyone give me a rundown of my options?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
I'm at chapter 5 right now, and the map has four orange points of interest and a good 10-15 blues. The blue ones are all optional boss fights that don't really add that much other than a large amount of JP and some additional story stuff. You do get a new costume for Edea from a fight in the lab underneath Florem, so if you like dress-up you can do that, but it seems they're really just there for unlocking the Vampire Class genome abilities and for additional story bits pertaining to what happens at the end of chapter four.

From the sounds of it, if you have a decent battle set up you can just skip the optional stuff without much in the way of penalty and do chapters 5,6 and 7 in a few hours

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Skip optional fights in 5 and 6 if you want to rush through, do chapter 7's because of good gear you can steal.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Polite Tim posted:

I'm at chapter 5 right now, and the map has four orange points of interest and a good 10-15 blues. The blue ones are all optional boss fights that don't really add that much other than a large amount of JP and some additional story stuff. You do get a new costume for Edea from a fight in the lab underneath Florem, so if you like dress-up you can do that, but it seems they're really just there for unlocking the Vampire Class genome abilities and for additional story bits pertaining to what happens at the end of chapter four.

From the sounds of it, if you have a decent battle set up you can just skip the optional stuff without much in the way of penalty and do chapters 5,6 and 7 in a few hours

Edit: Also my friend code is 0232-9359-4405 if anyone wants some little ladies and gentlemen for their village

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Aurain posted:

Skip optional fights in 5 and 6 if you want to rush through, do chapter 7's because of good gear you can steal.

If you skip stuff can you go back and do them later?

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I feel like we need to get a friend code spreadsheet going when this finally comes out in NA next week. Or do friend codes carry over from demo and/or work cross region? I'd assume so for the latter but have no idea about the former.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
So as an NA player I'm seeing a lot of mixed stuff on story and final chapters. Is story not good past that point or something? I really like my rpg's to have solid story.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
I think the complaint is that it loses excitement as it winds towards the end. I'm NA too, so I can't speak with certainty, but what I've gathered is that at a certain point people tire of the optional things available to do and just want to move towards the end.

Whether its because they're over leveled and there's not much challenge or because the story slows down, I cannot speak for, its kind of been unclear.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It's actually a bit worse than that. I almost lost the will to play through the game but keep trucking on, and don't let that keep you guys from buying it! It's a fantastic ride for the first 30 or so hours, and the gameplay keeps being good.

Boodge Bum
Apr 22, 2005

Deoderant plus ruptured bumgrapes does not equal freshness. Just burning agony.

Polite Tim posted:

Edit: Also my friend code is 0232-9359-4405 if anyone wants some little ladies and gentlemen for their village

Done. I hope you like me Sending heals.

Lufia
Nov 28, 2011

Draynar posted:

So as an NA player I'm seeing a lot of mixed stuff on story and final chapters. Is story not good past that point or something? I really like my rpg's to have solid story.
It's not that it get bad, it's more that it... stops. A couple chapters are pretty much just padding. I didn't lose the will to play, or anything, but that's because I really like the gameplay.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

White Mages seemed to do decent damage in the demo using poles. Does this keep up in the real game?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Compared to other P. Atk classes, absolutely not.

Boodge Bum
Apr 22, 2005

Harlock posted:

White Mages seemed to do decent damage in the demo using poles. Does this keep up in the real game?

If you're willing to use an ability spot for Knight's 2hander ability, they're not terrible. But given that their special is powered by performing heals and can restore MP, it's really not worth it. It's better to have them defaulting until they're needed to heal, I find.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Draynar posted:

The story part works pretty well all the way through (in fact a lot of the really important characterization happens in the final chapters), but the gameplay surrounding it takes a nosedive into pointless repetition.

This is less of an issue than it sounds like because you still have the option of turning off encounters and just running past those parts, but it does kill the pacing to some degree. I'd still very much recommend the game overall, it just can't keep up with the very strong first half all the way to the end.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I beat the first boss last night, and got my first jobs. :toot: Is there a particular strategy to it? I ended up just focusing on Holly, since she was mostly just casting Protect on Barras. I managed to get her killed, although she Cured herself a few times. Once she was gone, I could just chip away at Barras till he suicided. I had to use a few potions but overall it was ok.

I'm at the 2nd (I guess?) dungeon now, I feel like I'm a little under-levelled for it because some of the enemies on the 2nd and 3rd floors are really wrecking my poo poo.

I already have a few people on my friends list for the game, but if anyone else wants to add me, my FC is 3179-6055-6192

Boodge Bum
Apr 22, 2005

irlZaphod posted:

I already have a few people on my friends list for the game, but if anyone else wants to add me, my FC is 3179-6055-6192

Added. I'm on 0533-4673-5295.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Livingtrope posted:

If you skip stuff can you go back and do them later?

99% sure there's a NG+ so technically yes.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

I beat the first boss last night, and got my first jobs. :toot: Is there a particular strategy to it? I ended up just focusing on Holly, since she was mostly just casting Protect on Barras. I managed to get her killed, although she Cured herself a few times. Once she was gone, I could just chip away at Barras till he suicided. I had to use a few potions but overall it was ok.

I'm at the 2nd (I guess?) dungeon now, I feel like I'm a little under-levelled for it because some of the enemies on the 2nd and 3rd floors are really wrecking my poo poo.

In the first boss fight all you have are Freelancers so there isn't much strategy beyond wailing on the healer first.

Are you Braving in the random encounters? Generally the go-to tactic in most random encounters is just to Brave with your sweepers and other damage-dealers and keep the healers/buffers on Default when things go south.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I have two questions now that release is upon us unwashed NAers.

1) Is there any way to exceed Damage Limit? Put it in spoilers if its like a big deal or something

2) Is it feasible to run Hard + Only Boss EXP/JP? Not that that's going to happen when I first play the game but I'm just curious.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

1) Is there any way to exceed Damage Limit? Put it in spoilers if its like a big deal or something

2) Is it feasible to run Hard + Only Boss EXP/JP? Not that that's going to happen when I first play the game but I'm just curious.

1) Yes. By saving up Sleep Points by keeping the game in sleep mode (or you can just buy them directly if you don't sleep I guess?), you can use Bravely Second by pressing Start. You can do this even in the middle of all the attacks playing out, and it allows you to break the 9999 damage limit.

2) Uh, feel free to try, but I can't imagine it'd work. People have beaten full No Encounters runs on Easy, but I haven't heard of anyone doing it on Normal or Hard. Maybe someone's done it on Normal? Maybe.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Cat Machine posted:

Are you Braving in the random encounters? Generally the go-to tactic in most random encounters is just to Brave with your sweepers and other damage-dealers and keep the healers/buffers on Default when things go south.
I haven't really been doing that because the Orcs are really strong, and I didn't want to leave Tiz completely vulnerable. I guess if Agnes can heal him it's not a big deal.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Feasible? I'm going to go with yes.
Likely? No, not at all. I believe that to do this on Hard, you're going to have to be exploiting AI and doing speed-run style glitches and route planning to ensure you're not one shot by something because you're going to be short on levels for character and jobs, meaning you need perfect play.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Aurain posted:

Feasible? I'm going to go with yes.
Likely? No, not at all. I believe that to do this on Hard, you're going to have to be exploiting AI and doing speed-run style glitches and route planning to ensure you're not one shot by something because you're going to be short on levels for character and jobs, meaning you need perfect play.
You can turn encounters to 0

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Random encounters aren't really the issue due to that, it's the bosses that will be on a Hard Boss EXP only game.

You'll need to do sub-quests to get asterisks, but leaving them for later or doing them ASAP will make your task easier or harder depending on what they are. You might need the exp from the Thief to make the Merchant more realistically possible and other things. It's the end-game that would be the bastard too, not the early game.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

I haven't really been doing that because the Orcs are really strong, and I didn't want to leave Tiz completely vulnerable. I guess if Agnes can heal him it's not a big deal.
Yeah, having him do four Attacks or whatever in a row is making him no more vulnerable than he would be if you were doing a single Attack at the start of each turn. So long as your White Mage is using heals on a turn-by-turn basis, there's not much risk. Braving a ton at the start of each battle is generally a good idea as you've got a good chance of wiping the enemy before they can hit you.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Aurain posted:

99% sure there's a NG+ so technically yes.

Eh, that's better then nothing I guess but I really don't like having content be locked out like that. It's not gonna make me not buy the game or anything like that, just a minor pet peeve.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Terper posted:

2) Uh, feel free to try, but I can't imagine it'd work. People have beaten full No Encounters runs on Easy, but I haven't heard of anyone doing it on Normal or Hard. Maybe someone's done it on Normal? Maybe.

The Japanese site has a list of people who've beaten the game hard/no encounters/no importing from a previous save, so it's doable.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Anyone know what carries over ina new game+? It would be fun to run through the game with all classes to play with from the start

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
What's the job level cap in the full version?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

big mean giraffe posted:

What's the job level cap in the full version?

Level 14; http://segmentnext.com/2013/12/08/bravely-default-jobs-guide-stats-abilities-level-and-cost/

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

What, is this the new gamefaqs or something?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Really wish this was coming out on a Tuesday instead of Friday. Going on a long flight Thursday and it would've been nice to have :(

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I need to somehow get hired again, get money, so I can play this. Why's this gotta be the situation when this game comes out? ugh.
edit:
JP Up
Level. 10
Cost.1 slot
Increased Job XP.

Sounds like it's good to grind freelancer to level 10 at first.

Though these sound entirely useless:

Enemy Repellent
Level. 12
Cost.1 slot
Decreases field encounter rate by 50%.

Enemy Collect
Level. 13
Cost.1 slot
Increased field encounter rate by 50%.

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 31, 2014

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Forget grinding freelancer to 10 at the start. The JP needed jumps up a ton every few ranks. I think those skills are leftovers from the old version of the game.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

FrickenMoron posted:

Forget grinding freelancer to 10 at the start. The JP needed jumps up a ton every few ranks. I think those skills are leftovers from the old version of the game.

Yeah, they've been removed and replaced by poison immunity and, uh, something else I can't remember.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

FrickenMoron posted:

Yeah, I just started chapter 4 and I have one job at level 10 on one character, and that's a job I often use in boss fights. You won't get freelancer to 10 very early.

You can use abilink to get access to those higher level abilities though, assuming you have friends who are further into the game than you.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

+10% JP has no use really.
The +100% JP accessory is much better and by the time you need it, you can probably afford it.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I'm still plodding through the demo, playtime is limited. I'm at the adamantite shell fight. I kinda want to blow through the rest of the demo so I'm ready for the full version. Any suggestion on Job/classes to switch to? Right now I have Knight/Red Mage/Ninja/White Mage. The Ninja pretty much killls everything so I'm keeping that..how about the rest?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bennyfranks
Jun 23, 2005

IGNORE ME!

vulturesrow posted:

I'm still plodding through the demo, playtime is limited. I'm at the adamantite shell fight. I kinda want to blow through the rest of the demo so I'm ready for the full version. Any suggestion on Job/classes to switch to? Right now I have Knight/Red Mage/Ninja/White Mage. The Ninja pretty much killls everything so I'm keeping that..how about the rest?

Literally just Ninja for everyone. Utsusemi and Turn the Tables will break the demo in half.

Only 1 week, so excited!!!!

• Locked thread