Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Nebakenezzer posted:

You'll see! YOU'LL ALL SEE!!

Ohmygod, I've become the grover of airships :smith:

You're not thinking of getting into residential construction, are you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
There is still nothing for airship versus thunderstorm. Weather radar is great, but when your top speed is double digits, and you need dozens of people and a blimp-shed for ground handling, you have very limited divert options..there are just too many ways to fail.

Plus, as I have long contended, if your project ends up on the cover of Popular Mechanics, the SEC investigation for fraud is soon to follow.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 31, 2014

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Listen, I just want blimps to be a thing because they're cool :colbert:

Blimps are not cool, blimps were never cool.

Now, rigid frame airships are cool, but not blimps.

:colbert:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I still love zeppelins/rigid airships even with all their faults and I'd love for zeppelins to come back like they were in the early 20th century. I have Nebakenezzer's awesome posts to blame for my love of them :allears:

If I wasn't on my phone I'd repost my pictures of the huge zeppelin model they have in the WW1 exhibit at the Seattle Museum of Flight.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

SybilVimes posted:

Blimps are not cool, blimps were never cool.

Now, rigid frame airships are cool, but not blimps.

:colbert:

Blimp's day will come!

On Mars...

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Mike-o posted:

I still love zeppelins/rigid airships even with all their faults and I'd love for zeppelins to come back like they were in the early 20th century. I have Nebakenezzer's awesome posts to blame for my love of them :allears:

Once you accept the rules of not putting explosive gas everywhere, or painting them with thermite, they really don't have any faults that can't be spun as a benefit.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Nebakenezzer posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing :tipshat:

Pls don't ever stop posting about airships. tia!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Looks like they're still having fun, currently flying a "12" pattern over Washington.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/BOE12

I love that they flew that entire pattern at 12000 feet also.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I guess they can afford the fuel bill.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

YF19pilot posted:

Yeah, but my dad says he doesn't really try unless it's the playoffs.

The hell I don't! LISTEN, KID! I've been hearing that crap ever since I was at UCLA. I'm out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Mike-o posted:

If I wasn't on my phone I'd repost my pictures of the huge zeppelin model they have in the WW1 exhibit at the Seattle Museum of Flight.

this is mike-o's photo, from here:

no I'm not stalking you, I swearmaybe

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Nebakenezzer posted:

I don't recall you advocating for LAZORZ on airships.

You are still safe.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Mike-o posted:

Speaking of the Museum of Flight I highly recommend that anyone who goes to Seattle (or lives in Seattle and goes elsewhere) to become a member. It's not very expensive, from memory around US$60, but it gets you and a plus one into so many other places for free it's not funny.

Biggest coup we pulled off with that was not only getting into Intrepid for free, but skipping the huge lines for entry and proceeding directly to the ticket counter.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Am I the only one who noticed the Seahawks 747-8 is owned by Boeing and being used for 'flight testing'? Is it just me, or does that mean they may-or-may-not repaint it before flying to the boneyard next week?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Not the only one, and it was some interesting "flight testing"

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Psion posted:

this is mike-o's photo, from here:

The engines are wrong - it's a later era Zeppelin with early era off-set rear props. :spergin:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Speaking of aeronautical airship insanity, this guy built a 20' flying replica of USS Macon

Sadly, the first two prototypes were lost in accidents; the third... will likely be destroyed by his wife.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

mobby_6kl posted:

Not the only one, and it was some interesting "flight testing"

They should have done that over Denver. :hawksin:

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Psion posted:

Get out of my brain! :tinfoil:

Thanks for reposting my pic. I am a horrible, horrible photographer.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

grover posted:

Speaking of aeronautical airship insanity, this guy built a 20' flying replica of USS Macon

Sadly, the first two prototypes were lost in accidents; the third... will likely be destroyed by his wife.

That's pretty badass. That guy probably makes amazing pinewood derby cars for his grandkids.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Advent Horizon posted:

Am I the only one who noticed the Seahawks 747-8 is owned by Boeing and being used for 'flight testing'? Is it just me, or does that mean they may-or-may-not repaint it before flying to the boneyard next week?

Yeah, that three-month-old plane built on a design that saw its first test flight four years ago is clapped out and only good for spare parts.

(It'll be quietly repainted into Boeing corporate livery at some point. But the airframe itself will stick around for a good long time)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It might stay in that Seahawks livery for a long time, especially if they win.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Those are primarily in use for brown coal, which is wildly abundant in places that aren't the arctic.

I have some experience with mines and such and I can see how the drat thing is potentially useful. Doesn't mean it will be, but there's definitely a niche worth exploring. Is there a market for more than say, ten of these things? Highly doubtful.

Antonov Airlines seems to be viable with about 10 aircraft, so you wouldn't need many to fill some weird niche. I think you need to think outside the box as to what that niche might be though. Instead of lugging heavy mining equipment, how about lazily circling up to 50k or so feet and then launching space planes or rockets? Now that's some Popular Science cover poo poo right there..

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Space Gopher posted:

Yeah, that three-month-old plane built on a design that saw its first test flight four years ago is clapped out and only good for spare parts.

(It'll be quietly repainted into Boeing corporate livery at some point. But the airframe itself will stick around for a good long time)

Okay, fine. It looks like Boeing finally managed to clear out their excess 747-8 inventory from desert storage two weeks ago.

I own shares in BA and even I'm not exactly bullish on 747-8 sales.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
This is from a few pages ago but:

Ardeem posted:

Clearly an argument for putting rudder pedals back in aircraft.

They aren't there anymore?

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

What the hell is the language? This picture is giving me Tourette's.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Groda posted:

What the hell is the language? This picture is giving me Tourette's.

...Russian?

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Yeah, Russian doesn't have a Q or a D or a Z in it. The lettering is a mix of cyrillic and latin.

Edit: or an L or an R or a J or an S... etc.

E: Might be one of the Balkan languages? Doesn't look like Polish either.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 1, 2014

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Naturally Selected posted:

Yeah, Russian doesn't have a Q or a D or a Z in it. The lettering is a mix of cyrillic and latin.

Edit: or an L or an R or a J or an S... etc.

E: Might be one of the Balkan languages? Doesn't look like Polish either.

I'm assuming "DIRCABILDER" is "Dirigible". In which case, the Polish word is "Sterowiec" according to online sources. Otherwise, Balkan sounds right when running it through some of the online translators, but 'auto-detect' is useless; Bing thinks it's Italian, and Google thinks it's Azerbaijani.

edit:

Not to be completely useless, but what is a good repository on MiG 17 pictures and paint schemes? I'm looking to get possibly several MiG 17 models in the near future and want to paint them in a wide variety of themes.

CovfefeCatCafe fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 1, 2014

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
It's whatever the hell language is in this pdf, I think:
http://www.elbrusoid.org/upload/iblock/ccb/ccb6a05fa61895bd51ac427af1f7b439.pdf

e: Google successfully translated the title of that pdf is "Songs and Poems" and the word "Republican Library" in Russian, but is refusing to translate anything else; I don't think the characters are copy/pasting properly into google translate. Could be a weird font used in the early 20th century to replicate cyrillic with non-Russian typesets; google thinks D or Q could represent Д and Z could represent З, but that's about all I could puzzle out. I don't know anything about Russian.

What country is KGACCP?

grover fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 1, 2014

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

YF19pilot posted:

I'm assuming "DIRCABILDER" is "Dirigible". In which case, the Polish word is "Sterowiec" according to online sources. Otherwise, Balkan sounds right when running it through some of the online translators, but 'auto-detect' is useless; Bing thinks it's Italian, and Google thinks it's Azerbaijani.

edit:

Not to be completely useless, but what is a good repository on MiG 17 pictures and paint schemes? I'm looking to get possibly several MiG 17 models in the near future and want to paint them in a wide variety of themes.

There are a bunch of different versions with different text. Apparently I grabbed one that was jibberish generated by a teenager with a cyrillic font.

Here is a different one...with different backwards-rear end writing on it. Allegedly "Let us build a fleet of dirigibles in Lenin's Name!"

Also possible that there is good money in generating fake russian dirigible posters for Cafepress.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 1, 2014

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

YF19pilot posted:

I found some others that are most likely Ukrainian writing. As Slo-Tek said, the original one is gibberish.

grover posted:

It's whatever the hell language is in this pdf, I think:
http://www.elbrusoid.org/upload/iblock/ccb/ccb6a05fa61895bd51ac427af1f7b439.pdf

e: Google says the title of that pdf is "Songs and Poems" in Russian, but is refusing to translate anything else.

That book, as far as I figure, is in Karachai. Printed in Karachaevsk in 1936 (then Mikojan-§axar). Current Karachai language uses all cyrillic letters, but in '36 I could easily see them using a mix of latin and cyrillic. Comes from a library in Nalchik, which would support the language guess-unless it's a curio.

E: This is my friday night. Going linguist detective on some dead-lang gibberish. :suicide:

...........Anyone got more?

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 1, 2014

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back
Since we're talking about blimps airships, I'll share some design work I started on a helium lifted rc ship.

I designed this around some 3 foot balloons I found on amazon. Unfortunately, when testing the balloons I realized they were way too easy to pop, got discouraged and haven't picked it up since then. I did a bunch of planning on the weight budget, cost, etc. It's currently nothing but a spreadsheet. I also no longer have a place to fly it. It's over six feet long for scale. The fore and aft props provide both yaw and crabbing left or right. The main center prop can rotate up and down, so it provides both forward/reverse and up/down. I concluded that I would be able to do all the signal mixing with my RC transmitter, but if all else failed I would just end up putting a microcontroller in there. The trussing would be carbon fiber joined by thread and CA glue. Total cost was just under $1,000. Yes, that's a gopro, and yes the idea was to do FPV :). Should I build it? Y/N

I guessed how to do the trussing so it might be dumb. Final design:

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
You should put the cabin on top and elongate it a bit. Possibly get a bigger receiver on the front of it-though it might end up a little thicker than the rest.

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back

You should put the cabin on top and elongate it a bit. Possibly get a bigger receiver on the front of it-though it might end up a little thicker than the rest.

I decided that the main prop needed to be completely below the balloons to be the most effective, but yeah otherwise it can be at least a little bit higher. What do you mean bigger receiver?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

...........Anyone got more?

After searching around some I found this page which says it's Azeri for "We Are Building a Fleet of Airships in the Name of Lenin." I also posted in the Russian thread in the A/T science subforum and someone there thought it was Talysh, which is also spoken in Azerbaijan.

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 1, 2014

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Craptacular posted:

After searching around some I found this page which says its Azeri for "We Are Building a Fleet of Airships in the Name of Lenin." I also posted in the Russian thread in the A/T science subforum and someone there thought it was Talysh, which is also spoken in Azerbaijan.

Well poo poo, my sleuthing got me close, I guess. If it's azeri, makes even more sense to have it in a Nalchik library.

darknrgy posted:

I decided that the main prop needed to be completely below the balloons to be the most effective, but yeah otherwise it can be at least a little bit higher. What do you mean bigger receiver?

Did you seriously not get this?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

The engines are wrong - it's a later era Zeppelin with early era off-set rear props. :spergin:

It could be a Schutte-Lanz, which had the curvy hull shape before Zeppelin adopted it.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
If it helps that's a model of the L-30:
http://www.museumofflight.org/press/new-permanent-exhibit-world-war-i-airplanes-miniature-opens-may-21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Serious question: What's the chance of luxury airship cruises on blinged out Aeroscraft in the next ten years?