Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Do these idiots not get that you can enjoy something that isn't good? They constantly feel the need to justify what they like in the form of tropes. "Well, you might not think it's good, but my trope page on the subject shows that it's really sophisticated!"

Watching films analytically doesn't mean that you have to give up the entertainment factor. Dumbasses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I like how not only do they decide to compare themselves to writers, directors and academics, but they put themselves first. Also, "watching things critically".

quote:

Avatar film/book review by Aremnant 28th Jan 14
Had a Nice Plot Twist, Though.
Where to start! When the film began, the stench of old cliches and a poor plot device were already seeping through. Throughout the entire plot, the characters were flatter than a medieval portrait as jumped on by Mario, the character choices were an interesting blend of 'less intelligence than a week-dead cat in a room filled with carnivorous ants' and 'guided by their own brand of logic that holds about as much resemblance and usefulness to reality as a Fox News report.'

As I am writing this review, I am eager to move on to the other areas to tear to shreds to fill my daily 'author tears collected' quota, I just don't think I can move past this point. All the human's decisions could be easily shot down by a 6 year old child after taking a dosage of LSD. Why do we have a poorly defended base on the surface where a hostile environment confronts us? So that we can reach the underground mineral, obviously. So why don't you build your entire base underground, where you face neither hostiles, nor an unsafe atmosphere, and don't even need to dig down? Because we already payed for these mercenaries and were going to get our money's worth one way or another! Oh... Kay... Well, if you don't want to tunnel underground, why not use a space laser to kill things from space and solve the native problems (from space), or better yet, nuke them from orbit? Because then we would have no poorly conceived plot, and we already had these alien clone things that work for no adequate reason! Err... Are you, by any chance, a pillock with no justifiable reason to live other than 'makes a suitable grunt?' I can fit a sock on my head!

Despite the several hundred year difference in technology between the two species (another point: if the Na'Vi have planet-mind which would logically increase the progress of science, then why are they so much less advanced than humans?) Well, 300 or so words in, and I haven't even scratched the surface of the Marina Trench of pure BAD that is Avatar. So before I end this hate-rant leaving you thinking that I have nothing positive to say, I will focus on its only remarkable point. The good guys lose. Yep, that's the plot twist. The under gunned and primitive aliens beat the space marines and- Wait, the aliens were the good guys? Sh*t, this movie was worse at making me sympathize than I thought.

Visuals were OK though. Maybe.

Yes, let's not criticize the film for its cliched plot or the whole White Man's Burden undertone it had going on - the film was fundementally bad because it had awful worldbuilding! Instead developing a story by focusing on an attempt to peaceably remove the native americans off their gold unobtainium before the military forces a solution, the film should have focused on the money shots of nuking the brown people aliens from orbit! Duh!

(It only took me about a minute to find this review/analysis)

Arcsquad12 posted:

Do these idiots not get that you can enjoy something that isn't good? They constantly feel the need to justify what they like in the form of tropes. "Well, you might not think it's good, but my trope page on the subject shows that it's really sophisticated!"

Watching films analytically doesn't mean that you have to give up the entertainment factor. Dumbasses.

In nerd culture, any criticism is bullying. Stop being a bully.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Tropers enjoy lots of terrible things.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Leofish posted:

Yes, but they think it's good. And in fact build their whole identities around this.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Venusian Weasel posted:

In nerd culture, any criticism is bullying. Stop being a bully.

I think it actually does have a lot to do with another nerd thing. Namely video games and video game "journalism".

Video games have been trying to be art for a long time. And not just the odd game in the Smithsonian or study done in the name of sociology. Games want to be as artistic as film, literature, and music. The problem here, is that all of those mediums have critics. Video games for the most part only have fans. And while these other mediums aren't perfect in how they handle social changes or representation there are always debates going on about what the medium is saying or what a specific piece is saying. Video games only have to be fun and empowering to the players, who are mostly 18-30 year old white men.

When all your medium ever tells people is "blowing up stuff is fun" and "this loving bitch should shut up about video game sexism" you had better bring actual critique to talk about that. And you can't critique like that if your critics are all sucking dick for early access and promo copies.

Also this tickled me from the worldbuilding chat:

quote:

• L Frank Baum (if I remember right) developed the land of Oz more as he wrote more books

L Frank Baum would have made a phenomenal Troper. He wrote Oz because Alice and Wonderland didn't appeal to his dumb nerd logic. And outside of Oz he was mostly known for writing long diatribes about how the world would be better off if the US government had finished the job on the Native American genocide.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Arcsquad12 posted:

Most nerd culture is based on a foundation on enjoying things because reasons, usually centred around a concept of 'depth'. We've all been told we shouldn't enjoy comics or cartoons or games or whatever, as a kid or an adult because they're stupid. Only thing is, Tropers have never really gotten over that. So they hammer home the point that these things are better because there's more layers to them. It's also where the anti-intellectual hate towards classic lit and things that aren't genre fiction stems from

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Tropers seem to have infested the Rick and Morty thread.

kaleidolia
Apr 25, 2012

Anticheese posted:

Tropers seem to have infested the Rick and Morty thread.

Have they made a whole set of fake pages for a show within that show yet?

Inspector Zenigata
Jul 19, 2010

---

Inspector Zenigata fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 2, 2014

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Leofish posted:

Come on now, I'm sure a site built around examining the basis of storytelling loves good examples of its execution!

Analysis: Hamlet posted:

We don't have an article named Analysis/Hamlet

Okay, that's unfair, the site skews young and nobody wants to write extra essays on stuff they had to read in school. How about something more recent, one with a ton of things to examine that also is all about people interfacing with entertainment?

Analysis: Infinite Jest posted:

We don't have an article named Analysis/InfiniteJest

That one's a little inaccessible. But they like sci-fi, right?

Analysis: Isaac Asimov posted:

We don't have an article named Analysis/IsaacAsimov

Well, books are always less popular. How about a TV series, one where you could spend tons of time examining how it uses storytelling motifs to be entertaining as hell?

Analysis: Breaking Bad posted:

We don't have an article named Analysis/BreakingBad

Okay. Okay. The running gag is that all they care about is anime. There's anime series' that are famous for both ridiculous popularity among nerds and having ridiculous amounts of stuff to unpack. Maybe one of those...

Analysis: Evangelion posted:

We don't have an article named Analysis/NeonGenesisEvangelion

Oh. I guess they just don't use the Analysis pages, then. Nothing really has anything-

Analysis: Doctor Who posted:

The Doctor (not "Doctor Who"), a Human Alien who travels through time and space. He started off as an Anti-Hero (or even Anti-Villain) but...

gently caress tropers. Every single loving one.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Are we mining the Analysis/ pages again?

Analysis: Imperial Stormtrooper Marksmanship Academy posted:

So why were the Stormtroopers in Star Wars such bad shots?

First of all, the Stormtroopers' reputation for being bad shots is a bit exaggerated. They do quite well against the Rebels at the beginning of A New Hope and in the Hoth battle in The Empire Strikes Back. For example, they can hit rebel soldiers from at least ten meters away simply by hip-firing. It's mainly in the presence of Plot Armor-wearing main characters that their aim starts to degrade. And in A New Hope, the Stormtroopers were under orders from Tarkin to let Luke and his pals escape so that they could be tracked to the Rebel base — so the troopers (or at least the most fanatical ones) were trying to miss. And in the one scene where the troopers were trying to take prisoners, they were able to hit Princess Leia with a stun gun on their very first shot. However, that still does leave some unexplained scenes where the Stormtroopers were far worse shots than the protagonists.

According to some Expanded Universe sources, the standard-issue Imperial rifles were defective and all-but-impossible to aim with◊, and the Imperial administration was too cheap and lazy to fix this known defect. (Which doesn't explain why Han, Luke, and Leia were able to shoot quite accurately with Stormtrooper rifles in the Death Star and Cloud City...) Fanon also speculates that Stormtroopers' helmets restrict their vision (recall Luke's "I can't see a thing in this helmet!") or have shoddy targeting.

On the other hand, Cracked offers an interesting psychological explanation, pointing out that the Stormtroopers' on-screen accuracy is consistent with Real Life studies demonstrating that people (even trained soldiers) have inhibitions against firing at individuals with visible faces (like Luke and his pals), but fewer inhibitions against firing at others who can be dehumanized (like faceless Jawas or uniformed Rebel soldiers). The Stormtroopers' own face-concealing armor didn't do them any favors in this equation. (Then again they didn't have a problem burning two unarmed civilains to death.)

As for the Clone Troopers' superiority over the Stormtroopers, the Clones almost certainly didn't have to suffer from hardware as shoddy as their successors did, presumably due to better funding for the military during full-on-war than during a police action against a comparatively small insurgency. (Recall that Clone Troopers in the swamps of Kashyyyk got to wear camouflage armor, then 20 years later Stormtroopers in the forests of Endor had to wear the standard, blindingly white armor.) It also helped that the Clone Troopers were cloned from known badass Jango Fett, while the Stormtrooper ranks were diluted with soldiers from far-less-badass sources, like recruits and non-Jango clones.

And the battle droids? The canon explanation for their shoddy aim is that they really are that bad. The Trade Federation's battle strategy emphasized quantity over quality, seeking to overwhelm the opponent with huge numbers of disposable troops. The standard B1 Battle Droids were so disposable that, after Episode I, they were relegated to comic relief, rather than presented as a threat. Upgraded versions, like the Droidekas and Super Battle Droids, do pose a threat in later episodes, but even so, they tended to only succeed against Jedi in situations where the Inverse Ninja Law was working against the Jedi.

Now, for the really baffling part: When Stormtroopers or battle droids fire at a main character with a blaster, they tend to miss entirely. When Stormtroopers or battledroids fire at a main character who is a lightsaber-wielding Jedi, their shots are on-target or darn close—enabling the Jedi to deflect the shots (usually right back at their attacker) with said lightsaber. It is at this point that Watsonian analysis must either invoke the Force, or wash its hands of the matter and walk away.

:words: Well you see if you read the expanded universe novels then you'll understand that :words:

This is what tropers think literary analysis is.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jan 31, 2014

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Lottery of Babylon posted:

:words: Well you see if you read the expanded universe novels then you'll understand that :words:

The last paragraph really shows it. These people have no idea of dramatic tension or basic narrative technique. The reason the blaster shots hit Jedis is so they can deflect the shot and show that they are badass. Non-Jedis obviously don't get hit because they are heroes and can only get hit in dramatically appropriate moments. Its like saying "But why are you swordfighting on top of an active volcano?"

This is what they do to analyze, and they don't even get it. If they can't grasp such basics, then how can they ever even try to get to something like subtext or context?

Blastoise
Nov 9, 2010

Onward, Sancho!

I know most tropers are young and that excuses some of this nonsense, but I don't understand how they can miss out on the very obvious explanation for why main characters only get shot or killed in dramatic moments.

Lets take a movie I saw recently, Riddick. In it, the main character ends up with a dog. Established in the previous films is Riddick's ability to get everyone around him in massive trouble and tendency to be one of the few survivors in a situation. Still, he bonds with the dog. He spends a good thirty minutes of the film bonding with the dog. As an audience, we bond with the dog, too. Eventually the dog is killed by a mercenary as it tries to defend Riddick's life.]

Avenging the death of a friend is a pretty powerful motivator. It's a good way for the audience to firmly start rooting for Riddick despite him being established as not much better than the bad guys, if not worse. In fact, you can very easily tie this analogy in to Star Wars, and many other pieces of fiction out there.

I don't consider the movies literary masterpieces and I was able to do some very basic analysis.

Let's take a look at what TVTropes thinks!:
"Black Comedy Rape" "Scary Black Man"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
TVTropes Analysis Page: Subverted, tropers don't know how to critically analyze anything.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Why can't people just enjoy things at face value? Why do they have to criticise and analyse everything? Also, we're an academic resource."

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Genius Bonus posted:

For the literary player, in Skyrim, finding a copy of the book Palla will induce either grimaces of shock or squeals of delight when they recognize it as a corruption of Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita.

gently caress Tropers.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Metal Loaf posted:

"Why can't people just enjoy things at face value? Why do they have to criticise and analyse everything? Also, we're an academic resource."
"Criticism is mean!"

Apple Tree
Sep 8, 2013
I'm just sticking on the 'reviewer's infatuation with overworked analogies. Just in that one review we have:

quote:

- the characters were flatter than a medieval portrait as jumped on by Mario
- the character choices were an interesting blend of 'less intelligence than a week-dead cat in a room filled with carnivorous ants'
- logic that holds about as much resemblance and usefulness to reality as a Fox News report.'
- All the human's decisions could be easily shot down by a 6 year old child after taking a dosage of LSD.

One of those bloody things would have been too many, because they're all about as deft as a left-handed painter painting with his right hand after it got caught in a mangle and had to be bandaged with a bandage because it was injured and anyway it wasn't his good hand, and about as funny as a dead dog with no sense of humour who doesn't know when to shut up. But FOUR of them? Did he overdose on Blackadder Goes Forth, or is there some other culprit?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Gonna go out on a limb here and say they're a big fan of Zero Punctuation. Try reading any of those in Yahtzee's voice and you'll see what I mean.

Apple Tree
Sep 8, 2013

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Gonna go out on a limb here and say they're a big fan of Zero Punctuation. Try reading any of those in Yahtzee's voice and you'll see what I mean.

Yeah, you're probably right. Mind you, when I try to imagine them in his voice, it immediately adds, 'Oh bollocks, I can't say that. I need some aspirin.'

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

In fairness, they're probably trying to keep it more worksafe than his usual output. Try putting in the odd 'poo poo' every now and then, maybe an occasional allusion about how he's not gay because he hosed your mum.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
I thought Yahtzee was unpopular with them because he's a big mean critic who said Fast Eddie was a bad programmer, or something.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Every week the same handful of people would rush to his YMMV and Dethroning Moment of Suck pages to complain about how he offended America or ignored their pet issue, or something.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Sel Nar posted:

gently caress Tropers.

hahaha no it isn't! Here's the text if anyone else is curious. I guess "Palla. Pal La." is sort of close to "Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta" but not really? And Lolita is about a child molester and that Skyrim thing is about a heroic woman who fought a monster?? Jesus Christ.

That really is perfect troping though: recognize an extremely shallow similarity between two things and exclaim "deconstruction! corruption! I have read the first pages of Lolita and have clocked 400 hours in Skyrim, two things of similar quality. Behold my good taste."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Let's see what they have to say about the new show Rick and Morty.

quote:

The "Pregnant Jerry" scene will not in an episode nor will the Cthulhu one.
Compare the actual show to the scenes in the opening...They seem a little too...Dynamic.

quote:

Before "Rick Potion #9" I would have said the same thing about the scene of Jerry shooting his gun at the creatures.

quote:

TC: Well I've been wrong about alot of stuff...Like I thought I was gonna have my second girlfriend for a long time...That didn't even last a year.

:stonk:

What the gently caress, troper.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

The last paragraph really shows it. These people have no idea of dramatic tension or basic narrative technique. The reason the blaster shots hit Jedis is so they can deflect the shot and show that they are badass. Non-Jedis obviously don't get hit because they are heroes and can only get hit in dramatically appropriate moments. Its like saying "But why are you swordfighting on top of an active volcano?"

This is what they do to analyze, and they don't even get it. If they can't grasp such basics, then how can they ever even try to get to something like subtext or context?

It's been brought up in these threads before, and you can observe it in wild nerds, but people like this approach fiction from a fundamentally different angle than you or I.

A story, to them, isn't a writer weaving together ideas with head and heart to produce something that communicates those ideas. It's about the writer "discovering" something and then transcribing it, as if fiction exists in an alternate universe and the writer's chief function is that of a reporter.

That's why you get tropers focusing purely on tangible details of a story instead of what those details are being used to say, and if they want to criticize a story, they can only do it by nitpicking the "logic." That's probably why there's so much loving emphasis on worldbuilding over storytelling there.

They don't get that, if your scene needs a river, you just put a loving river in it. You don't say "Aw, shucks. The map I drew that nobody gives a gently caress about says there's no river here so I guess I'll just have to do without."

Apple Tree
Sep 8, 2013

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

It's been brought up in these threads before, and you can observe it in wild nerds, but people like this approach fiction from a fundamentally different angle than you or I.

A story, to them, isn't a writer weaving together ideas with head and heart to produce something that communicates those ideas. It's about the writer "discovering" something and then transcribing it, as if fiction exists in an alternate universe and the writer's chief function is that of a reporter.

They even have a sodding trope for it: the Literary Agent Hypothesis:

quote:

This is the hypothesis:
The work is Inspired By real events. The person listed as the author is really just the literary agent for the character who wrote it. For some undisclosed reason, all involved want the truth of the story to be kept a secret.

I first saw that page a while ago, and it seems to be in the middle of some edit wars. The old page was pretty straightfoward, but from the amount of clarifying and direction-pointing and quibbling, sounds to me like there's some trouble in paradise over it:

quote:

This is a thought experiment that occurs in many fandoms — that the series in question is a Dramatization (even if it's from another universe). The theory goes something like this: While the fan accepts that what he is watching is a television show (or book, etc.), he theorises that the events portrayed happened. Essentially, the fan surmises that the film, TV show, or book (etc.) is a covert re-enactment or re-telling of real events for our education and entertainment. Fans will sometimes claim to believe this wholeheartedly, though this is almost always an exaggeration.

NOTE: this trope only occurs in fandoms, an author cannot 'use' this trope. If a creator likes to pretend that their story is based on real-life events this is Direct Line to the Author. For in-universe examples see A True Story In My Universe. Please do not list works on this page if Direct Line to the Author is a better fit!

Following from this the theory normally takes one of two routes:

Dramatization: The writers of the series are demoted to the roles of literary agents or ghostwriters for the characters. They are charged to transcribe their adventures, often tasked to make only such changes to actual events as are required by the practicalities of the medium and to protect the confidentiality of those involved. Which is to say, "The story you are about to hear is true: only the names have been changed to protect the innocent.", but without any declaration that the work is a account of real events. In this version the characters whom the story is based on, essentially, want their story told but don't want anyone to know it actually happened or that they were involved.

Loose Retelling: For whatever reason the creator has taken someone else's story and retold it in a way that won't come back to them and won't be recognised as real. This point of view is a middle-ground between supposing what we see on-screen is absolutely real and admitting that it is just fiction. It may be claimed that several stories have been mashed together and certain people have been merged into single characters.

The former is generally seen as plainly nuts for any fictional work, even the ones that really are true stories; the latter makes interesting scholarly discourse impossible. Literary Agent Hypothesis opens up a huge range of fannish possibilities. Perhaps the most important of these is that we can easily dismiss small continuity errors: the literary agent just cocked up a bit. It also allows us to easily dismiss certain production elements, such as a Special Effect Failure or The Other Darrin, or, most especially, the Translation Convention: it didn't "really happen that way", but it's a convenience for the production crew and an Acceptable Break from Reality. Without this notion, it's difficult to talk about how it really happened as, strictly speaking, it didn't really happen at all. This is often invoked when a visual effect is changed by the production team: the phasers didn't really change colour, the filmmaker has just worked out a more accurate way to depict what they always looked like.

While this line of thought has advantages for speculation and is somewhat less silly than supposing that what we are watching is real, it walks a fine line: beyond excusing production mistakes, this hypothesis is occasionally extended to allow for Fanon Discontinuity, supposing that the parts we don't like are the bits that are outright fabrication, and therefore allowing us to discard them. Within fantasy gaming circles, this is also the distinction between "Lore" and "Canon": "lore" assumes certain facts are mostly historic interpretations and beliefs — much like Real Life — making them more easily subject to change, while "canon" is inarguable (read: uninteresting), constricting to creativity and vulnerable to Ret Cons.

This notion has probably always existed in some fashion, but as an explicitly stated thought experiment, it originated with and is still most closely associated with Sherlock Holmes fandom. Some Speculative Fiction series take this a step further, lifting a page from quantum mechanics and postulating that all works of fiction are reflections of various Alternate Universes somewhere in a multidimensional meta-space-time. Often, this will be revealed during a trip by the characters to (or from) the "real" world. In 18th centuries, novels were often disregarded, and some authors tried to pretend that the book was not only inspired by real events, but that it was a record they found rather than something they made up. Parodied in Dangerous Liaisons, because at this time it became too obvious. Robert A. Heinlein's novel The Number of the Beast revolves around this idea, and he coined the term "The World as Myth" to describe it. It is a kind of metafiction known as "transfictionality".
This trope is not to be confused with:

Direct Line to the Author, which is where it is official canon that a fictional story is true, instead of just fanon.

A True Story In My Universe or Recursive Canon, which is where a work acknowledges that there are fictionalised versions of the same story in its on universe

Framing Device, when the story is set within a fictional reality in which somebody is telling a story (true or otherwise).

Compare and contrast I Should Write a Book About This. Compare Unreliable Narrator or Fictional Document. See also Daydream Believer, which is what you get whenever a fan takes the hypothesis too seriously. Rashomon Style is when the characters in the story themselves are used to recount it.

Or, to sum up: the number of ways in which you can find an excuse to pretend that stories aren't written by actual people with more talent and work ethic than you is almost limitless.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I was going to talk about the hilarity of tropers missing the forest for the goddamn leaves while talking about Neuromancer or the REAL LIFE section of Steampunk (long story short, if it ran on steam it's obviously STEAMPUNK), but then I noticed this little gem at the bottom of the page.

quote:

Punk Punk
Punk Punk genres are a generalization of Cyberpunk into other periods or with other genres mixed in.

quote:

By period
Stone Punk: (Stone Age)
Sandal Punk: (Bronze and Iron Age)
Clock Punk: (Renaissance/Baroque)
Steam Punk: (Victorian Era)
Steam Punk Index
Diesel Punk: (1920s - 1940s)
Raygun Gothic, aka Atompunk : (1940s - 1960s)
Cyberpunk: (1980s - 1990s)
Post-Cyberpunk: (Twenty Minutes into the Future)
Bio Punk: (Twenty Minutes into the Future)

quote:

By Genre (because that's totally different than by period)
The Apunkalypse: Punk meets After the End, as disaster reduces civilization to tribes of marauding scavengers.
Cattle Punk: (The Western/Space Western) A typical John Ford film setting, only with things like robots, super-weapons, and wacky gadgets tossed in.
Desert Punk: Punk + survival in a super-harsh environment. The desert may be Desert Planet or Burned-out Earth. Not to be confused with Desert Punk, though it is one of the best examples.
Dungeon Punk: (Medieval European Fantasy) A heavily magical world where spells and enchanted artifacts take the place of modern technology.
Fantastic Noir: (Urban—usually) a mixture of the Film Noir detective story with the more colorful aspects of fantasy and Science Fiction.
Gothic Punk: (Urban Fantasy) The punks are also goths. The world is secretly controlled by various supernatural creatures to whom humans are merely pawns.
Ocean Punk: (Pirate) Punk in a mostly (or wholly) oceanic setting. See One Piece and Water World as your most famous examples.
Myth Punk: Fairy tales get hyperpoetic postmodern makeovers.
The Sky Is an Ocean (Sky Punk): Punk that mostly takes place in the sky, aerial view, via planes, blimps, floating island... anything involving being in above grounds. See Sky Pirate and Castle in the Sky for this example.

Because cyberpunk is cool, steampunk is cooler, so adding the word punk to whatever era you want will instantly make them awesome :pseudo:. And I thought the word punk couldn't be any more played out.

EDIT: Oh, and apparently the Flintstones are punk, remember when Fred was a burned out stonecutter trying to make his way in an uncaring world and reliving the plot of Neuromancer in the stone age? Same with Gilligan's Island.

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 31, 2014

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

They don't get that, if your scene needs a river, you just put a loving river in it. You don't say "Aw, shucks. The map I drew that nobody gives a gently caress about says there's no river here so I guess I'll just have to do without."

Which reminds me of one of the best TVTropes writing advice-seeking threads ever posted.

quote:

So, at the end of Issue One of my current story, the main character has been injured by various fights with Mooks and also a Giant Space Flea from Nowhere. He then gets into a fight with the Big Bad (of issue one). My problem is that the main character doesn't have enough health potions to recover enough health to win this last fight. Furthermore, it's absolutely vital for the plot of future Issues that he win this fight, because he gets his Yandere girlfriend as a Random Drop at the end of the fight, completing the Battle Couple. So how should I fix the discrepancy?

The solutions I've thought of so far are:

*Increase the main character's number of starting health potions (but I don't think his family could really afford more, he is impoverished, after all)
*Have him find a Deus ex Machina Infinity+1 Sword by random luck (but it'd have to be a one-time-use item or else it'd mess up the battles in future issues!)
*Maybe the main character can keep grinding on random Mooks longer and get more health potions first?

Any help is absolutely appreciated; this story is really close to my heart. :)

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013
That advice thread's a parody. It has to be a parody.

The way these dorks use "punk" makes me want to beat them to an inch of their life with a copy of Please Kill Me. I understand why cyberpunk exists and is viable, but every other "-punk" genre baffles me. How is a bunch of aristocrats and pirates having adventures in their airships punk rock in any way? Why not call it "Victorian fantasy"? Some of those genres have to be hypothetical because Sandal and Stonepunk sound like the product of a troper's worldbuilding wank sessions.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

ArchangeI posted:

If they can't grasp such basics, then how can they ever even try to get to something like subtext or context?

They don't use subtext unless they're trying to mine for "naughty" jokes or signs of a non-existent romance in kids' cartoons/TV shows. Context, much like soap and their brains, they don't use at all.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

A lot of them seem to have disappeared for some reason. I'm positive there was an Evangelion one a few years ago because I distinctly remember them going nuts over the implied masturbation scene.

On that note, the game Serious Sam has a generic pistol that never runs out of ammo (and iirc never needs reloading) as your base weapon. All the weapons in the game have little one-paragraph descriptions and since the game is really tongue-in-cheek the pistol's description rationalizes the infinite ammo as the forces of good teleporting bullets directly into your gun as needed. There was at one point at least a page of troper analysis trying to rationalize this by tying it haphazardly to the rest of the story (all of which is just filler since the game is very direct about being a mindless silly run-and-gun fps).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Steampunk as a literary genre at least had an idea behind it: technology outpacing human ideologies. Setting it in the Victorian era helped show just how bad society could get in real life, and how much worse it would get with advanced technology.

All Tropers see are gears and steam engines, none of the social commentary.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

"I must redesign the entire watershed of the south-eastern part of my continent to create a river! But that creates a desert where I've put the Magic Lake of Glub, oh no, what do I do now?"

Alpacalips Now posted:

That advice thread's a parody. It has to be a parody.

The way these dorks use "punk" makes me want to beat them to an inch of their life with a copy of Please Kill Me. I understand why cyberpunk exists and is viable, but every other "-punk" genre baffles me. How is a bunch of aristocrats and pirates having adventures in their airships punk rock in any way? Why not call it "Victorian fantasy"? Some of those genres have to be hypothetical because Sandal and Stonepunk sound like the product of a troper's worldbuilding wank sessions.
AFAIR the "punk" in cyberpunk was supposed to indicate a focus on the underbelly of the society; gritty lowlife stuff. So even steampunk's hosed that up, given that 90% of the stuff I've seen is wearing top hats with gears stuck on and calling themselves Lord Valvington-Smythe.

e:f,b like a tragic orphan in the steam-grommet factory.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Runcible Cat posted:

"I must redesign the entire watershed of the south-eastern part of my continent to create a river! But that creates a desert where I've put the Magic Lake of Glub, oh no, what do I do now?"

AFAIR the "punk" in cyberpunk was supposed to indicate a focus on the underbelly of the society; gritty lowlife stuff. So even steampunk's hosed that up, given that 90% of the stuff I've seen is wearing top hats with gears stuck on and calling themselves Lord Valvington-Smythe.

e:f,b like a tragic orphan in the steam-grommet factory.

There is a good rule for steampunk and dieselpunk. If you haven't read London Labour and the London Poor, you cannot write steampunk. If you haven't read The Jungle, you cannot write dieselpunk. The -punk suffix means it is a derivative of the cyberpunk genre, focusing on alienation, rebellion, exploitation, technology, and corruption. Steampunk and Dieselpunk can also be used to explore globalization, imperialism, and industrialization.

Tiberius Thyben fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 31, 2014

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

Steampunk as a literary genre at least had an idea behind it: technology outpacing human ideologies. Setting it in the Victorian era helped show just how bad society could get in real life, and how much worse it would get with advanced technology.

The only steampunk anything I've read was The Difference Engine, which read like a William Gibson novel set in alt-history Victorian England, which makes sense since it was a collaboration between Bruce Sterling and William Gibson, and that was plenty punk. I was actually surprised, it had almost nothing to do with the usual GEARS, STEAM AND LORSHIP fetishism that every other steampunk work I've seen has, and I sure as gently caress wouldn't want to live in that universe.

Speaking of which, their page on the Difference Engine was surprisingly sterile and stale. I didn't see anything, other than a bunch of tropes with no explanation of how the example fit the trope. I still have no idea what alternate history wank is supposed to be though, the examples just show how the world is different but not how England controls the world or whatever.

EDIT:vvvv Pretty sure that most early steampunk was like that, seeing as it was pretty much just cyberpunk in the victorian age. That's what Wikipedia tells me at least, so take that with a massive loving grain of salt.

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 31, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Did it originally, or was it originally a case of 'fantasy but with that cool Victorian aesthetic' and then people started taking it seriously? Genuine question, I'm not exactly au fait with the history of steampunk.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

A lot of steampunk in general suffers from not remembering the fact that the guys in top hats with monocles were the bad guys. Like, the modern nerd steampunk aesthetic ignores the fact that the Victorian upper class were basically awful.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Darth Walrus posted:

Did it originally, or was it originally a case of 'fantasy but with that cool Victorian aesthetic' and then people started taking it seriously? Genuine question, I'm not exactly au fait with the history of steampunk.

Well Steampunk was coined in the 80s as a riff on Cyberpunk, which dealt with similar themes, albeit in a futuristic setting. Steampunk as a genre was inspired by late 19th century, early 20th century novels such as stuff by H.G Wells, where fantastical machines far beyond what was possible at the time were a focus. See books like The Time Machine, or 20000 Leagues Under the Sea.

This stuff was all coming out while the Industrial Revolution was getting a second wind. With technological progress skyrocketing, works of speculative fiction showing the potential for new devices became popular. Fast forward to the 80s, where Steampunk as we know it today emerges. You take that same setting, and then change the intent. Rather than showing how these machines make the world better, you show how technology outpacing human social and moral progress can have disastrous consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well Steampunk was coined in the 80s as a riff on Cyberpunk, which dealt with similar themes, albeit in a futuristic setting. Steampunk as a genre was inspired by late 19th century, early 20th century novels such as stuff by H.G Wells, where fantastical machines far beyond what was possible at the time were a focus. See books like The Time Machine, or 20000 Leagues Under the Sea.

This stuff was all coming out while the Industrial Revolution was getting a second wind. With technological progress skyrocketing, works of speculative fiction showing the potential for new devices became popular. Fast forward to the 80s, where Steampunk as we know it today emerges. You take that same setting, and then change the intent. Rather than showing how these machines make the world better, you show how technology outpacing human social and moral progress can have disastrous consequences.

Since this discussion touches on cyberpunk, I encourage everyone to go out and read the Sprawl Trilogy and the short story collection Burning Chrome, both by William Gibson. They are the true cyberpunk poo poo, potent and uncut. Extra points if you purchase a copy from a used bookstore located down a dark alley that only accepts cash, as that is the second-most cyberpunk method of purchasing anything.(The first-most method is of course cracking into the publisher's network and stealing an electronic copy, but I don't want to get into :filez:)

• Locked thread