Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Whatever, my first MF camera was a holga, and I regularly use equipment prone to 'failures' which I find aesthetically pleasing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I bought a pretty lomo camera today

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

If it ain't light-leakin, it ain't lomo

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

McMadCow posted:

Yeah, that's my ultimate take on the matter. The faux "practice" of fetishizing the "happy mistakes" of crap gear is insufferable bullshit, however. Also here's something else in quotes because I feel the need to "do it in threes".

My camera ran out of batteries and closed the shutter early on a long exposure on Panatomic-X, so I processed it without fixing the scanner's crop or dust spotting, and it got into Flickr Explore and got more favorites than most of the stuff I actually try to make look good :(

when you learn not to rely on the wonders of man by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Mr. Despair posted:

I bought a pretty lomo camera today

:respek:

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 28, 2014

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

My camera ran out of batteries and closed the shutter early on a long exposure on Panatomic-X, so I processed it without fixing the scanner's crop or dust spotting, and it got into Flickr Explore and got more favorites than most of the stuff I actually try to make look good :(

:respek:

I was going to make an me super joke but it looks like I already did 6 months ago!

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

atomicthumbs posted:

You didn't have 100% control of the process from start to finish, you're no artist. :colbert:
Just kidding, that shot is bitchin.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Some guy is selling rolls of expired Provia 100F and Velvia 50, 1€ a roll.

Is it niche stuff for people who know what they do or am I likely to do something interesting with it ? Which one is less likely to be hosed up ?
For context I'm going to shoot it with my XA, and I'm fairly ignorant on the whole subject.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

unpacked robinhood posted:

Some guy is selling rolls of expired Provia 100F and Velvia 50, €1€ a roll.

:stare:

That's a bargain. Unless it's extremely out of date. If it's been decently stored, I say go for it. They're both incredible Fuji slide films.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I've always loved Velvia's colors, but be warned it tends to look wacky when trying to interpret skin tones.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
I paid $13 per roll for expired Provia 400X last week

better than the 26$ it costs when it's fresh :/

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There's one last thing I'm not sure about: slide film is supposed to be projected right ? Or can it be developped along regular negative film ? I googled some terms but I can't get a clear answer.
I'll probably want regular prints. If the guy answers I think I'll end up grabbing a few rolls, keep one and sell the rest in the sell thread if that is kosher.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

There's one last thing I'm not sure about : slide film is supposed to be projected right ? Or can it be developped along regular negative film ? I googled some terms but I can't get a clear answer.
I'll probably want regular prints. If the guy answers I think I'll end up grabbing a few rolls, keep one and sell the rest in the sell thread if that is kosher.

Slide film uses a different chemical process, E6, vs print film (C41). Cross-processing E6 film in C41 chemistry results in a negative, usually one with high contrast and color saturation. I understand that printing them gets a little weird because they lack the orange base that normal C41 film has, but it works out OK.

You should really try to get some slides developed "correctly", though. They're practically giving away Kodak Carousel projectors these days, or little manual ones, and seeing your pictures blown up large is a treat. Failing that, call up a blank document in Notepad or even a reply window on SA and put the slide right on your monitor, like a low-rent lightbox. They're like tiny jewels.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Yond Cassius posted:

Slide film uses a different chemical process, E6, vs print film (C41). Cross-processing E6 film in C41 chemistry results in a negative, usually one with high contrast and color saturation. I understand that printing them gets a little weird because they lack the orange base that normal C41 film has, but it works out OK.

So if my lab is able to give regular prints they will somehow look different than what they are supposed too ?
I actually have one or two projectors as well as hundreds of slides from my uncle, but I think the setup is too much of a hassle to use.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Develop slide film (such as Fuji Velvia 50) either by the E6 process (which is how it's intended to be done) or by C-41 (colour negative process). But get it done by somebody willing to do develop-only (or do it yourself, if you've done B&W developing, either flavour of colour is not a problem). Then you get your roll of film back to do with as you like. Then, scan it and enjoy it. If you want prints, now you've got a digital image to do that.

Some labs can make prints from slide film, by either processing it as E6, scanning it, and printing the digital images, or by doing exactly that but via C-41 (cross-processing), giving you interesting colours. It is very, very unusual for a lab to still use an entirely analogue process for film, including optical printing. Pretty much all of them have been doing develop -> scan -> print from computer for at least a decade.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

McMadCow posted:

You didn't have 100% control of the process from start to finish, you're no artist. :colbert:
Just kidding, that shot is bitchin.

ah, gently caress it, the two times I've accidentally significantly underexposed my B&W film have ended up amazing. I should probably play around with it some more. or adopt it as my style

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

atomicthumbs posted:

ah, gently caress it, the two times I've accidentally significantly underexposed my B&W film have ended up amazing. I should probably play around with it some more. or adopt it as my style

Sorry, way ahead of you there. :kimchi:
(Kodak MF Tri-X 400 @ 3200, Hot 1:100 Rodinal semi stand. Hot = 82F)

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I've been planning on doing something similar by under exposing shots with some 8x10 X-ray film and then contact printing to make some very dark/atmospheric prints. Probably been listening to too much black metal recently.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

VomitOnLino posted:

Sorry, way ahead of you there. :kimchi:
(Kodak MF Tri-X 400 @ 3200, Hot 1:100 Rodinal semi stand. Hot = 82F)

Mine was Panatomic-X 32 at ???, developed in ??? for ??? at ??? by my lab

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

atomicthumbs posted:

Mine was Panatomic-X 32 at ???, developed in ??? for ??? at ??? by my lab

and that is why you always develop your own B&W film. :owned:

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

atomicthumbs posted:

My instagram photos that I put on my tumblr get more 'likes' and rebloggerings than my photo photos.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

I just got my first roll of 120 back from the lab, and it's curly as hell.

I've read that the best way to solve this is to cut it into strips and flatten them between heavy books. I've also read that the curl can be alleviated by re-rolling it backwards into a tube overnight.

Are either of these safe or wise to do? I'm assuming the first is fine, but the latter strikes me as potentially damaging -- even though a bunch of people swear by it.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
Curled negatives are the worst.

I'd go out and get one of those binder sheet negative sleeves. Cut the film and then sleeve it. Put some books on top of the sleeve and let it sit for a day or two.

Next time you might see if your lab will cut and sleeve the negs for you. Thats how I get mine back.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Baron Dirigible posted:

I just got my first roll of 120 back from the lab, and it's curly as hell.

I've read that the best way to solve this is to cut it into strips and flatten them between heavy books. I've also read that the curl can be alleviated by re-rolling it backwards into a tube overnight.

Are either of these safe or wise to do? I'm assuming the first is fine, but the latter strikes me as potentially damaging -- even though a bunch of people swear by it.

Squish it between big art books. That way to art seeps down into them.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

8th-snype posted:

Squish it between big art books. That way to art seeps down into them.

And here I was thinking that art osmosis was an urban myth :(

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
It's very important! Choose big Art books full of Good Art, not degenerate bullshit art. Or your pictures will be ruined!

I used Biology textbooks and ended up with spooge all over my negs.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

I'm a big fan of Physical Review D. 1500 pages thick, about the size of a sheet of negs, and it's completely free!

Also it's loaded with sweet juicy physics.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

I'm about to do a bulk order on some film from B&H, because gently caress paying $70 locally for a 5-pack of Fuji Velvia 100 that's "on special".

Earlier in the thread, there was a post by an Aussie who had an excel spreadsheet and was planning to organise a group buy -- can anybody remember who or when that was? I've been going through the thread but haven't found it yet. (If it even was this thread.) I can't bring myself to place the order without making sure nobody else wants in on a group buy.

Aussie goons, even if you don't want in on a group buy, how do you normally handle getting more film? Is there anybody locally who charges competitively with shipping from overseas?

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Baron Dirigible posted:

Earlier in the thread, there was a post by an Aussie who had an excel spreadsheet

I've been too lazy to update it. Also, I ran over both my film cameras.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joelwright/10682504045/

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Baron Dirigible posted:

I'm about to do a bulk order on some film from B&H, because gently caress paying $70 locally for a 5-pack of Fuji Velvia 100 that's "on special".

Earlier in the thread, there was a post by an Aussie who had an excel spreadsheet and was planning to organise a group buy -- can anybody remember who or when that was? I've been going through the thread but haven't found it yet. (If it even was this thread.) I can't bring myself to place the order without making sure nobody else wants in on a group buy.

Aussie goons, even if you don't want in on a group buy, how do you normally handle getting more film? Is there anybody locally who charges competitively with shipping from overseas?

I get from a guy on ebay called CheapshotsAU, he has a good range and reasonable prices (I think?) although can sometimes be slow to deliver.

I'll throw down for a group buy...

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I'm up for getting some more Portra 400 in 120, and maybe some C41 chems.

If you want to be ripped off toddle down to Michaels in Melbourne and ask for some Ilford, you might get two rolls out of a $50 note.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Place is daylight robbery. But I do like their camera museum upstairs.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Alright, how do you guys want to handle this? Is there a general protocol for group buys?

I'm thinking if we can get some orders together by the end of the week, and then work out how to divide the shipping, that would work?

Also, does anybody have a particularly convenient way of getting stuff delivered? I'd order to my work but I think I'm testing the patience of my mailroom. Otherwise I'm happy to just get stuff delivered to my local Post Office and mail it out from there.

Broseph, is Maco this place? I had a quick look and they seem much more expensive than that spreadsheet suggests.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
im down in tassie so willing to pay extra freightage. Ill be after a cpl boxes 4x5. I have a heap of ilford 120 hp5 and fp4 film fresh if you want some of that, did a big buy and then a trip got cancelled so have surplus 120 film.

Shoot me an email or whatever (never done a group buy before) dragxela@gmail

Im happy to get it sent to me, too. I have plenty of time on my hands and no qualms about distributing it out to everyone. Its no more expensive getting stuff sent here than rest of oz

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Baron Dirigible posted:

Broseph, is Maco this place? I had a quick look and they seem much more expensive than that spreadsheet suggests.

That's the one. Keep in mind that the prices you are seeing include 19% VAT, which you won't pay if outside Europe. Once you set up an account with an overseas address, you get prices ex-VAT

Also, those were from October last year, so prices/fx rates may have changed.

I'll be in for a brick of portra. And some Ektar or e6 of whatever flavour if others are keen.

*edit* for comparison, 5 boxes of 5x120 portra works out to ~7.90/roll shipped, which is actually better than I expected. I'll check amazon and freestyle today and update prices.

BrosephofArimathea fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 3, 2014

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Also need to remember the Aussie dollar is at 3 year lows right now too, and probably heading further south in the not too distant future :australia:

So is consensus an order from Maco Direct? As I might order a kg of the liquid emulsion to play with.

John Dounce
Jan 17, 2012

Some guy is selling rolls of expired Provia 100F and Velvia 50, 1€ a roll.

Is it niche stuff for people who know what they do or am I likely to do something interesting with it ? Which one is less likely to be hosed up ?
For context I'm going to shoot it with my XA, and I'm fairly ignorant on the whole subject.

:eyepop: Where do you find deals like that? Anything I find on ebay is way more expensive. Let me know if you end up with more rolls than you need.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Spedman posted:

Also need to remember the Aussie dollar is at 3 year lows right now too, and probably heading further south in the not too distant future :australia:

So is consensus an order from Maco Direct? As I might order a kg of the liquid emulsion to play with.
I'm not convinced Maco is the cheapest. I set up an account and even excluding VAT, and including the bulk discount, 25 rolls of Ektar is AU$146 compared to AU$134 from B&H. I guess it's the Euro? I'm absolutely poo poo at finance, which is why I chose photography as a hobby to begin with.

I'd honestly be happy with wherever though, we're still talking much lower prices than domestic and if there's something you guys can only get at one place, it'll have to be there. I'm easy because I'm just after some Ektar, Velvia and Portra and pretty much everywhere has it at decent prices.

Sludge Tank, I'd be more than happy if you looked after postage / distribution. And I'd be happy to take some of the Ilford off your hands at, say, B&H prices, as I was considering some anyway and it'll cut down on int'l freight.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Sure thing mate. what's your email? (dragxela@gmail)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just loaded my first roll of 120 slide film :ohdear:

It's Provia 400x, anyone got an idea on the the latitude of that stuff, stop-wise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Just loaded my first roll of 120 slide film :ohdear:

It's Provia 400x, anyone got an idea on the the latitude of that stuff, stop-wise?

Slide film has lovely latitude, and while I haven't used 400X specifically I'd imagine the faster you go the worse the latitude. There's not a lot of dynamic range and when you blow the highlights they're just gone.

I'd say +0 to -0.5 for best results and +0.5 to -1 for something usable out of most exposures.