Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Was Pool of Radiance that game that used to delete vital system components from your hard drive if you tried to uninstall it or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

This has nothing to do with infinity engine games but I figured it was probably the most apt spot. In the gold box d&d games what is the pool of radiance? I guess I mean what is its namesake?

There's a dedicated thread for old school RPGs
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473537

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Was Pool of Radiance that game that used to delete vital system components from your hard drive if you tried to uninstall it or something?

That was the terrible 2001 reboot, not the original Gold Box Pool of Radiance.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

Good to know.

I asked earlier about time/chapter sensitive quests in baldur's gate 1, are there any in 2? I would assume if anything gets cut off its probably once chapter 4 starts.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Good to know.

I asked earlier about time/chapter sensitive quests in baldur's gate 1, are there any in 2? I would assume if anything gets cut off its probably once chapter 4 starts.

Chapter 2 and 3 are basically interchangeable, you can do whatever you want for as long as you want. Once you roll into chapter 4, you're not going to be free to explore until chapter 6. Most of your companion's personal quests are time sensitive from the moment they join you (at least the initial stage) so you do kind of want to try and do them in the order you recruit them so that they don't get pissy and quit your team. Other than the NPC personal quests, I don't think many of the in-game quests have time limits.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Good to know.

A few companion quests are. None of the larger quests are except I think Nalia will leave your party to meet you at her keep if you wait a super long time.

I think Chapter 4 pauses the quest real time timer so even if you have one open they won't leave your party or fail in the middle of the story portion of the game.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
Is there a way of changing your character's voice once you've started the game? I can't seem to find it in EEkeeper.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

homeless poster posted:

Chapter 2 and 3 are basically interchangeable, you can do whatever you want for as long as you want. Once you roll into chapter 4, you're not going to be free to explore until chapter 6. Most of your companion's personal quests are time sensitive from the moment they join you (at least the initial stage) so you do kind of want to try and do them in the order you recruit them so that they don't get pissy and quit your team. Other than the NPC personal quests, I don't think many of the in-game quests have time limits.

Though you can get burned on assuming all the quests are OK. Back when BG2 was just released everyone and their mother was coming onto the BW forums to ask how they'd hosed up the Paladin stronghold quests because they'd assumed all the PANIC and YOU MUST GET THERE NOW was descriptive instead of prescriptive.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

gender illusionist posted:

Is there a way of changing your character's voice once you've started the game? I can't seem to find it in EEkeeper.
While playing open Record, Customize, Sounds.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Though you can get burned on assuming all the quests are OK. Back when BG2 was just released everyone and their mother was coming onto the BW forums to ask how they'd hosed up the Paladin stronghold quests because they'd assumed all the PANIC and YOU MUST GET THERE NOW was descriptive instead of prescriptive.

Also don't forget once you're in the underdark a bunch of the quests are time sensitive, and if you gently caress off to go explore the side dungeons at the wrong time the drow will loving murder you.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

fralbjabar posted:

Also don't forget once you're in the underdark a bunch of the quests are time sensitive, and if you gently caress off to go explore the side dungeons at the wrong time the drow will loving murder you.
The simplest solution is to just go and clear out all the areas in the underdark other than the drow city before you even set foot there. Then you don't have to worry much about time limits.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Now that both enhanced editions are out do other party member's ending stats transfer over? Like Minsc's? I was watching some stream where the guy had just imported his dude and when he checked out Minsc's proficiencies he also had a point in axes which he won't if you play just start up a fresh game.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Now that both enhanced editions are out do other party member's ending stats transfer over? Like Minsc's? I was watching some stream where the guy had just imported his dude and when he checked out Minsc's proficiencies he also had a point in axes which he won't if you play just start up a fresh game.

No.

Way Strong Pimphand
Feb 19, 2010
So did they ever wind up fixing the Werewolf form for Druids in the EE releases? Can I actually use Cernd now?

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Way Strong Pimphand posted:

So did they ever wind up fixing the Werewolf form for Druids in the EE releases? Can I actually use Cernd now?

Still rear end like they were in vanilla, but someone did make a Shapeshifter rebalance mod for BGEE/2EE, here.

Way Strong Pimphand
Feb 19, 2010

Corvinus posted:

Still rear end like they were in vanilla, but someone did make a Shapeshifter rebalance mod for BGEE/2EE, here.

Thanks for the link! I can't believe they haven't fixed this from vanilla. Ah well. And good god Neera's dialogue is awful.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Still playing through IWD1 and I'm up to the bit in Dorn's Deep where you fight the lich. I gotta say, it's pretty satisfying to walk into a room with a dozen wights, ghasts and other undead waiting (and an infinitely respawning amount trickling in) and just laying waste to them while cutting my way through to the boss, especially considering how much trouble they gave me early on in the first two dungeons.

Also, my bard finally got that song that regenerates health, and suddenly the amount of time I spend juggling healing spells and resting was cut substantially. Thanks, bards :toot:

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
BG2EE Rasaad quest question: I've just helped to defend the heretic temple from the dark moon guys. Is that it until ToB?. So far I've enjoyed his story line and his interjections haven't been annoying but it just feels like he's not pulling his weight so I'm gonna ditch him so I can run with a smaller party.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

BG2EE Rasaad quest question: I've just helped to defend the heretic temple from the dark moon guys. Is that it until ToB?. So far I've enjoyed his story line and his interjections haven't been annoying but it just feels like he's not pulling his weight so I'm gonna ditch him so I can run with a smaller party.
Yup. You can safely ditch him until ToB.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm going to say it again... why the :ssh: EXPLETIVE DELETED :ssh: did they keep every EE1 NPC into the sequel except for Baeloth? There are no spontaneous casters in the game except for sorcerers and the only way to get one previously was to make one as your PC or make one and do the multiplayer trick. I am absolutely baffled by that. Plus, Baeloth was genuinely funny and could have had some proper good moments in BG2EE if they'd kept him and written him properly.

:sigh:

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

That's the end of his quest, but you're nearing the time when he turns into melee monster with a strength boosting item.

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm going to say it again... why the :ssh: EXPLETIVE DELETED :ssh: did they keep every EE1 NPC into the sequel except for Baeloth? There are no spontaneous casters in the game except for sorcerers and the only way to get one previously was to make one as your PC or make one and do the multiplayer trick. I am absolutely baffled by that. Plus, Baeloth was genuinely funny and could have had some proper good moments in BG2EE if they'd kept him and written him properly.

:sigh:

I liked him enough that I created a sorcerer PC for BG2, but it's nowhere near as awesome as having two drow in your mustache-twirling evil party.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
How does having your familiar pickpocket work? Do they steal the item and it falls on the ground?

EDIT: nvm I finally dug deep enough on the internet to find the answer.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 4, 2014

Way Strong Pimphand
Feb 19, 2010
Great, thanks to this thread I'm about to drop another 80+ hours running through the entire BG series with a Necromancer. What do people think of the new NPCs that come with the EEs? I tried getting past Neera's dialogue and voice actress, but it's still wearing one me. Do any of them fare better?

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Great, thanks to this thread I'm about to drop another 80+ hours running through the entire BG series with a Necromancer. What do people think of the new NPCs that come with the EEs? I tried getting past Neera's dialogue and voice actress, but it's still wearing one me. Do any of them fare better?

Dorn is pretty great, I think his voice acting is no worse than any of the other BG characters. He would fit with the tone of your necromancer (probably) and is a total powerhouse to boot.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

The new NPCs are all very strong but very stupidly written/voice acted. Dorn is like a dumber, more violent Korgan. Rasaad's BG2 quest has the worst "funny" lines I've ever seen and monks are terrible in BG1 to boot. Hexxat's (BG2 only) is probably the best of the bunch in terms of character/writing but she has an annoying requirement - she's a vampire, and you need to equip a cloak that greatly lowers her stats to have her outside in the daytime and constantly be equipping/unequipping it plus pure thieves aren't that great.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Rasaad got booted from my party so loving fast.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The Hexxat drawback really isn't much of one though, since you're very rarely going to be forced to fight anyone outside and during the day.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

DeathChicken posted:

The Hexxat drawback really isn't much of one though, since you're very rarely going to be forced to fight anyone outside and during the day.
It's only really a drawback if you forget to equip her with her cloak before leaving a dungeon and she decides to pull her "Nazi opening the Ark of the Covenant" impersonation.

By the way I had a minor bug with Hexxat where I used the portrait of her thrall as my MC, which caused the thrall to use another portrait. When I got Hexxat to join however she still used that other portrait also used by the thrall (which rather ironically was white). I was rather confused about people saying that Hexxat was black until my second playthrough.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Even then, just put the cloak back on. It's not like you won't notice with all the QUICKLY GET ME TO DRAGOMIR'S RESPITE.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
Are Rings/Cloaks of Protection +k worthwhile in BG2? It seems pretty easy to compensate for the AC and THAC0 bonuses and still be able to use other magical gear.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

OregonDonor posted:

Are Rings/Cloaks of Protection +k worthwhile in BG2? It seems pretty easy to compensate for the AC and THAC0 bonuses and still be able to use other magical gear.

I'd say yeah unless you get something really cool to stick in the slot. Full plate +ring of protection is still pretty great, cos you get the +1 save too.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

OregonDonor posted:

You can find a use for them. They stack with bracers of AC and you may not have something else to put in the slot.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Is friends bugged when it comes to adjusting prices in BG2EE? The price didn't change when I had all party members in the same zone, but when I had the person with friends on alone the prices did change. Is there a reason for this? Does rep change depending on who is actually on the screen with you? The other party members didn't even show up in the trade window.

EDIT: Apparently it still takes into account the party leader's score when doing trades.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Feb 6, 2014

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice
OK mazzy and valygar are awesome together.

Iggles
Nov 24, 2004

By Jove! Commoners!

OregonDonor posted:

It depends on your party and equipment of course. +1 start off useful but become less so when you get some Dragon armors and some useful rings. I think the Rings and Cloaks +2 (and especially the Ring +3) should definitely be used in a 6-person party. You can get an extra Ring +2 in Hell and I have toyed with the idea of forgoing the PC's elemental resistances to get it. Probably not worth it on the whole.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
Thanks for all of the responses. I've gotten a couple +2 Rings/Cloaks and held onto them, but for some reason I've mostly used magical armor instead. I was going for AC at the expense of saving throws and now I see how dumb that assumption was. I'm in the Underdark right now and I've got one party member wearing of those badass Drow armors until I leave, but the rest of my party I've re-outfitted accordingly.

Miss Hime
Jun 14, 2008

On that note, what happens with Hexxat if you go through with the romance?

This was a couple of pages ago but my understanding is that none of the new NPCs get kidnapped (I believe due to the legal stuff that they couldn't change existing content therefore the Bodhi boss fight could not be changed). Each character instead has an in character reason for not being kidnapped. The ones I know are that Neera wild surges away from her and Dorn who due to his brute strength just shrugs Bodhi off him. Presumably Rasaad does something monk-like and spin kicks off into the distance. Hexxat I guess is just 'lol already vamped'.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

So this is my first time really going through Throne of Bhaal. Am I missing anything special by not taking Dorn into the il-Khan barracks? For lack of anyone better to drop in order to fit Sarevok I ditched him, but it's not like I couldn't go back and swap out again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Ellesime's a bitch. I lived life like a Lawful Good boy scout, including making the ~*~"right"~*~ decisions in Hell, and she still tells the Elven court that I'm essentially evil but really came through for Suldanessellar despite myself. I guess because I had a Slayer relapse while fighting Irenicus.

Maybe the drow were right.