Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
So I recently read Kingyo Sou, this cute little 8 chapter long story about a hearing girl and a deaf boy becoming a couple after the girl hears the boy's drumming. As someone who's deaf myself, I give this manga about a 100% in its portrayal of deafness--it pretty much hits it right out of the park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Ignis posted:

Kuragehime 65 :woop:

:laffo: Shuu's jellyfish hunting is hilarious. I missed this dumb manga so much.

I love it, but now I'd rather read her autobiographical stuff (including the bonuses at the end of volumes) than Kuragehime itself. I'm curious to find out whether this arc actually goes anywhere though.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
http://www.ala.org/yalsa/great-graphic-novels-top-ten-2014
Strobe Edge made the Top 10 YA graphic novels of 2013 list by the YALSA subset of the American Library Association. I thought it was actually kind of mediocre, and enjoyed the side stories more than the main storyline. I guess it's better than just about any other recently licensed shojo? Kimi ni Todoke made the "Great Graphic Novels for Teens" list in 2010 only, so they may not allow repeats.

Meanwhile, Wandering Son's been on the Rainbow List for 3 years: http://glbtrt.ala.org/rainbowbooks/archives/1103

Silly Voodoo
Mar 31, 2011

There will be no clipping!

Kusaru posted:

http://www.ala.org/yalsa/great-graphic-novels-top-ten-2014
Strobe Edge made the Top 10 YA graphic novels of 2013 list by the YALSA subset of the American Library Association. I thought it was actually kind of mediocre, and enjoyed the side stories more than the main storyline. I guess it's better than just about any other recently licensed shojo? Kimi ni Todoke made the "Great Graphic Novels for Teens" list in 2010 only, so they may not allow repeats.

Meanwhile, Wandering Son's been on the Rainbow List for 3 years: http://glbtrt.ala.org/rainbowbooks/archives/1103

Ughhhhhh. I really hated Strobe Edge, so this irritates me way more than it should. It's cookie cutter shoujo in the worst ways and the leads are so boring! :mad:

e: Oops I already complained in this thread about it. My bad.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Whoops Wandering Son vol. 6 came out right at the end of January and I totally missed it. :doh:

e:
i want her to put out a huge book of just watercolors, I'd totally import it in a heartbeat.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So long, and thanks for all the fish; here is the final Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun chapter.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Nate RFB posted:

So long, and thanks for all the fish; here is the final Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun chapter.

Do you have any idea where in the manga the anime stops?

coathat
May 21, 2007

I think it was around chapter 14.

Great last chapter and I can't wait to read it again starting next month when the first volume comes out in English.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
That was a good ending, I'm glad it wrapped things up with the time skip and bonus at the end and didn't just stop with graduation. I loved seeing the grown-up versions of all the characters :3:

Now I want a spin-off with Sasayan and Natsume in college :allears:
(surely they get one of the bonus chapters at least)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I sort of felt the chapter was a bit by-the-numbers and predictable overall (is there anyone who didn't see Haru conveniently showing up in the batting cage coming?), but it still hit all of the right emotional notes and certainly was a satisfying conclusion. I also really liked what they did with Iyo in these past few chapters :kimchi:

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.
I tried to read it but the main dude is so loving horrible I had to stop right like what the gently caress how many times does he have to ~resort to violence~ for her then loving punch her in the head what a loving sociopath. This is a manga of severely broken people abusing each other.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah, that's kind of the point of the series, a lot of characters with a whole lot of flaws, and figuring out ways to make it work despite them. Haru's got some serious problems, and I'm not going to excuse them, he's also been through quite a bit.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Haru legitimately seems to have some sort of disorder. In contrast to a good number of "bad boy" shoujo love interests who are just awful people.

Not sure if it'd be better here or the anime thread, but there is also a new chapter of Inari Konkon Koi-iroha.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 17, 2014

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Nate RFB posted:

Haru legitimately seems to have some sort of disorder. In contrast to a good number of "bad boy" shoujo love interests who are just awful people.

Yeah, and one of the things I liked about this manga is how they all grew for the better and learned to deal with their own issues.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Lots of updates to some great series these past couple of days: Taiyou no Ie Chapter 39

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Shame the josei thread died, but on the recommendation of another blog, I just read Kyoko Okazaki's Helter Skelter. This is not an inspirational or romantic story, it is about terrible people tearing themselves apart in response to the pressures of modern western society.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Love so Life is pretty much weaponized cuteness. Between the kids and the relatable relationships, I ended up binging through all the chapters in one sitting.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Cynic Jester posted:

Love so Life is pretty much weaponized cuteness. Between the kids and the relatable relationships, I ended up binging through all the chapters in one sitting.

I really like Love So Life, but the last 2 (?) chapters really bummed me out. It felt a little bit too much like things got swept under the rug/victim-blamey? It could have been handled a lot worse, but the way it got handled still made me feel like that was just not at all the direction things should have gone. I still mostly like it, though.

Gakuen Babysitters is also a great manga about super cute kids and super cute high school boys and girls that take care of them.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

jellycat posted:

I really like Love So Life, but the last 2 (?) chapters really bummed me out. It felt a little bit too much like things got swept under the rug/victim-blamey? It could have been handled a lot worse, but the way it got handled still made me feel like that was just not at all the direction things should have gone. I still mostly like it, though.

Gakuen Babysitters is also a great manga about super cute kids and super cute high school boys and girls that take care of them.

I'm just glad it didn't go into full ntr mode like so many other mangas. Why it is so common in manga astounds me, it feels like a simple shock factor play instead of actually being used for storytelling. That the perpetrator always gets off scot-free just makes it worse. I'm okay with how it was handled in Love so Life though, as she was always the motherfigure and her seeing things from the other perspective makes sense for the character. That the guy instantly realized he hosed up bad was also refreshing, instead of being dragged out for ages.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Akiko Hageshimura (Jellyfish Princess, Kakukau Shikajika) is coming out with a new manga soon:

quote:

This year's April issue of Kodansha's Kiss magazine, which shipped on Monday, announced that Akiko Higashimura will launch a new series, titled Tokyo Tarareba-jou (Tokyo "What If" Girls), in the magazine's May issue, which ships on March 24. The ad also mentions that Higashimura's Princess Jellyfish (Kuragehime) will resume publication in the magazine's September issue, which ships July 25.

The new series will center on the love stories of three women who are around thirty during a Tokyo Olympics. The ad states that it is an "urban, sexy, fabulous, and bittersweet Tokyo story."

So that's something to look forward to.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile
So I'm reading through Natsume Yuujinchou and after 50 chapters, I'm getting a bit frustrated. Does Natsume ever actually start on self improvement? He gets hurt, kidnapped and worse pretty much every issue, but with his sacrifice complex, I get that it might not be motivation enough. But when his foster family and friends also get put into poo poo situations on a regular basis and all his ayakashi and onmyoji friends go "Hey, might want to become stronger buddy" and nothing happens. He often goes "Sure wish I was stronger so this didn't happen" but he never acts on it.

tldr loving doormat characters

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm kind of interested in the answer to that too, because that's been on my "to read and/or watch" list forever but I watched a couple episodes of the anime and it didn't really click with me like I expected because I was kind of hoping for more in the same vein as Mushishi and Mononoke (spirts/exorcist stuff, not visually). I just figured I wasn't in the right mood for it and was planning to revisit later but if Natsume is a total dud of a character the whole time then I'm not gonna bother. Big difference between it and those other two series is having a child protagonist vs adults and that's kind of a sticking point for me; teenage main characters usually have teenager problems and that gets really tiresome when I just want to watch somebody exorcise some spirits.

I've been reading this series that popped up on Batoto this week: Stretch. Seems to be slice of life interspersed with stretching instructions; the interaction between the two girls is pretty funny with some drama potential one-sided crush, family stuff. I hope the stretching instructions are legit and nobody has hurt themselves trying to do them :v:

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 3, 2014

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Natsume Yuujinchou is about people (loosely defined) being nice to each other and having everything work out nicely. Natsume himself absolutely develops as a character, but, much like with Mushishi or Mononoke, he's mostly the vehicle through which we're told the stories of those around him. I love it.

VVVVVV I love how polite Natsume is to Nyanko-sensei in the anime. He seems like half-pet in the manga, but anime Natsume sincerely treats him like a respected teacher (most of the time).

Yes_Cantaloupe fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 3, 2014

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
I recommend watching the anime of Natsume Yuujinchou first before reading the manga. It's a good adaptation that you can chill out to; if I remember correctly, the first season also adds some anime original content.

Nyanko-sensei is adorable in motion. :3:

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

a kitten posted:

Akiko Hageshimura (Jellyfish Princess, Kakukau Shikajika) is coming out with a new manga soon:

So that's something to look forward to.
Yaaas! Again, though, I wish she'd focus on Kakukaku. Guessing it doesn't pay the bills, though.

Can anyone recommend good 'odd couple' mangas? Doesn't have to be romantic, just a pairing of differing, strong personalities.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Did the Skip Beat manga ever get good again? The Spring anime thread reminded me that it existed in the first place. I dropped it during the arc where Kyoko has to pretend to be Ren's sister or something. It was focusing way more on Ren rather than Kyoko, which was a problem since Ren was easily the least interesting part of the whole thing.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 5, 2014

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
They're still doing that arc but it got even stupider. Kyoko and "Corn" are talking and Corn hand-waves the fact that he looks and sounds like Ren with fairy magic

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Still? I feel like I dropped it years ago when it was knee deep in that arc. That's pretty sad. There was such a good winning formula with Kyoko, her career, and her revenge schemes and the author should have just stuck to them.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I dropped Skip Beat! when it turned into a semi-love triangle with Ren, Kyoko and that asshat ex-boyfriend.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I dropped Skip Beat when Ren started treating Kyoko like a possession. Poor girl is never gonna get away from 8 foot tall walking stick assholes.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I have no idea how Skip Beat! is running at 200+ chapters on unresolved sexual tension. I used to really love it, but it feels extremely directionless because the author keeps dragging character relationships out instead of having actual development and progress like the earlier chapters.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Serious Frolicking posted:

I dropped Skip Beat when Ren started treating Kyoko like a possession. Poor girl is never gonna get away from 8 foot tall walking stick assholes.

You've described 70% of shoujo right there.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Compendium posted:

I have no idea how Skip Beat! is running at 200+ chapters on unresolved sexual tension. I used to really love it, but it feels extremely directionless because the author keeps dragging character relationships out instead of having actual development and progress like the earlier chapters.
It was really good when it was about Kyoko furthering her career and and having petty :regd07: fights with Sho. I guess I also kind of liked her bonding with the other girl in that weird group they were in. There basically wasn't a need for relationship drama in the first place within that dynamic.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

When the whole movie-remake arc started I was still pretty okay with it, it was doing pretty well. And then that poo poo just kept dragging on and dragging on with no end in sight and no one willing to admit they lust for each other despite being possessive about each other and then Sho showed up again and...

And then I stopped because this clearly is going nowhere fast.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well, let's talk about some good shoujo instead: Taiyou no Ie 40

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

I posted it in the surreal daily life manga thread but its probably better here. Shoujo about a girl vampire from Korea. It has bullying, racism, romance. All the usual stuff. Despite what kissmanga says its also done.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Orange-Marmalade

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nate RFB posted:

Well, let's talk about some good shoujo instead: Taiyou no Ie 40

Just finished reading it, you beat me to posting it.
I really liked seeing the two families together, they're starting to look like extended family/in-laws. Kinda interested in what drama the trip is gonna stir up.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Everything Burrito posted:

Just finished reading it, you beat me to posting it.
I really liked seeing the two families together, they're starting to look like extended family/in-laws. Kinda interested in what drama the trip is gonna stir up.
Daiki-related matters aside, things have almost been going too well. Definitely makes me anxious. Since the family issues are what I like the most I hope things don't turn south.

E: I mean "Going back to the house for good after the trip" is like this manga's equivalent of a cop showing off a picture of their kid on their last day before retirement.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 6, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Blhue posted:

You've described 70% of shoujo right there.

I know. She isn't going to get away from them because she is in a shoujo manga. Even if Skip Beat ditched the two current dickbags, there would always be more 8 foot tall walking stick assholes to take their place. Kyoko being the star of her own life is unthinkable because of the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That's why the anime is good because it stops right before it gets sucked up its own rear end.