Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

rvm posted:

CK2 isn't really paint a map your color game. And CK+ does make expansion harder (to form an empire, you need three kingdom titles, for example, and it tones down pagan CBs by a lot).

I have Sweden Norway and Denmark, working my way to Finland now for the 150 holdings requirement. It just seems odd because I see you guys having reformed the faith at 970 or somesuch and I was curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Serperoth posted:

I have Sweden Norway and Denmark, working my way to Finland now for the 150 holdings requirement. It just seems odd because I see you guys having reformed the faith at 970 or somesuch and I was curious.

A lot of people play the base game, which has easier expansion, which leads to an easier time reforming.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Seoinin posted:

Yeah I've notice vassals do conversion way better than me, but what gets me is the quick cultural flip Dumbass de Hauteville pulled somehow. I've held Sicily for over a century and only half of it is Norman, but this dude just turned a whole duchy Norman in a decade.

County culture changes are done by a character event, meaning that dividing an area that needs to be converted up among a bunch of counts goes way faster than just holding it all yourself. Also, Stewardship has a tremendous effect on the MTTH of the event. As a result, territory held by vassals tends to convert faster than stuff in your personal demense. How does that work? Well, with 13+ Stewardship you've got a MTTH of around 30 years to convert one province, so it'll probably take you ~150 years to convert five provinces. If you handed those five provinces out to five different 13+ Stewardship counts, each one would have a 30-year MTTH for triggering the culture change event on their one province, and even if you don't have a ready supply of awesome stewards to hand out counties to, a count with a mere 5 Stewardship will still only have a 100-year MTTH for county culture changes, so those five mediocre counts still have a pretty good shot of converting those five provinces faster than a megagenius who holds them all personally and probably won't even live long enough to convert three of them.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

DStecks posted:

That makes it even weirder, since personality traits like that are gained from events during childhood. That means that it only affects characters generated by "Summon a dude to your court" decisions. What exactly are they trying to do? :confused:

There are other randomly generated characters, such as new rulers you can generate in baronies, and courtiers who pop up to fill your court. I guess the implication is that chastity is not held as a virtue in Islam (as far as I know, it isn't. Same thing with celibacy, apparently) and as such, isn't common.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Talky posted:

Have you declared another Holy War recently? Last I checked, CK2+ gives holy wars a five year cool down before you can call one again.

I havent used one ever.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I've been out of the game for a while and I'm wanting to make a go at a long time fancy in this game: A Spanish Caliphate. However, I have very very limited experience with Muslims and how they work in this game so...

Any advice on how to accomplish this? General Muslim strategies and/or poo poo to watch out for?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
A while ago I vaguely seem to remember reading that Paradox made it easier to educate your grandchildren, or at least your grandchildren via your heir, even if their parents were landed. Is that the case, and if so can anyone tell me exactly what they changed?

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I'm looking to play a game where I reform the Roman Empire. I'm guessing a good place to begin is in the HRE. Any tips for going about this?

I've played before, though I have mostly had smaller empires (Spain, Ireland & Scotland, etc) so bigger ones are new to me. It is also a lot of land I need to get together.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

JerikTelorian posted:

I'm looking to play a game where I reform the Roman Empire. I'm guessing a good place to begin is in the HRE. Any tips for going about this?

I've played before, though I have mostly had smaller empires (Spain, Ireland & Scotland, etc) so bigger ones are new to me. It is also a lot of land I need to get together.
Well, the Byzantine empire has an actual big decision thing for it, so it would probably be better to start as or in them. Or you could swear fealty and try to work your way up.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

JerikTelorian posted:

As has just been said Byzantium is definitely the easiest place to start. Of course starting as a count or duke in Byzantium can be risky because if you get caught plotting you will be imprisoned and blinded or castrated. As well if you get too strong your duchies can be freely revoked. Granted on the Catholic side, I'm not sure if you can Holy War the Byzantines when you get over there.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Eimi posted:

Granted on the Catholic side, I'm not sure if you can Holy War the Byzantines when you get over there.
Orthodox and Catholicism are close enough to count as each others' religion for game checks.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Anyone remember NBRT before its modder had a complete meltdown and pulled all of his poo poo from the Paradox forums in a petulant snit? Well, he's baaaaaaack...

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?748086-MOD-NBRT-a-complete-map-upgrade-package

I have to say, it looks pretty good, but he decided to make it SWMH only so you have to pick up that piece of poo poo if you want to get all the benefits. There's no vanilla support for the mod, although he did cave and released a vanilla "lite" package that a third party managed to throw together.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

Orthodox and Catholicism are close enough to count as each others' religion for game checks.

Whelp shows what I know. (Bugger all)Maybe I'm thinking of EU4 where they are quite different. At least that's what I remember from my Byzantium playthrough.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
They're considered heretics in EU4 so you do remember right. It's mostly that in Crusader King's time span the split was still a bit...murky. There was definitely a divide going on between the two faiths but for the most part it was considered different rituals for the same faith.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

RagnarokAngel posted:

They're considered heretics in EU4 so you do remember right. It's mostly that in Crusader King's time span the split was still a bit...murky. There was definitely a divide going on between the two faiths but for the most part it was considered different rituals for the same faith.

Ah, well that clears up things. Though speaking of the Byzantines, playing as a vassal under the Basilius is quite...intimidating. He starts with high crown authority, and all the bonuses he gets...anyone have any tips for how I can wiggle my way onto his throne? Of course the idiot keeps ordering me to lead troops despite my astounding 10 martial.

vv The idea of a pictish count coming down from Hadrian's Wall to restore the Empire is pretty funny. I may do this because trying to play as a vassal in Byzantium is...irritating. I don't even have enough troops to siege my counts holdings down.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 31, 2014

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

JerikTelorian posted:

I'm going to try a ruler designer one as a Roman/Hellenic count in 867 Ireland. Probably game over before 900 hits though.

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome

CapnAndy posted:

Vassals have their own court chaplains, who they tend to send out to convert their provinces. Yours is probably buttering up your religious head or doing something else useful. The end result is that vassals get conversions done much quicker than you can. (I think they get a bonus to conversion chance, too)

I am the Fylkir so all my court seers have been trying to convert Middlesex since I took it, and it was the very first english province I took. I'm just going to bite the bullet and give the rest of my duchy provinces to randoms to convert since I can just revoke it back but i have a feeling Middlesex is going to be the last bastion of Anglo Saxon Christianity in England for a very long time. My court seer, with skill 20, converts provinces at 7 to 8% chance per year, is this normal for a reformed pagan faith?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

dPB posted:

I am the Fylkir so all my court seers have been trying to convert Middlesex since I took it, and it was the very first english province I took. I'm just going to bite the bullet and give the rest of my duchy provinces to randoms to convert since I can just revoke it back but i have a feeling Middlesex is going to be the last bastion of Anglo Saxon Christianity in England for a very long time. My court seer, with skill 20, converts provinces at 7 to 8% chance per year, is this normal for a reformed pagan faith?

I had the same experience as Norse France. It helps if the province is surrounded by your religions, but the best I've seen was like 15% conversion chance, and that was against a Christianity with 0 moral authority.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

We were discussing gavelkind succession before, and the general consensus seemed to be that gavelkind is supposed to suck. While I agree with this, I was wondering if you guys have any thoughts on the idea of throwing the player a bone by at least letting them pick their primary heir. Aside from that, it would still be completely gavelkind as usual, but you'd be able to unilaterally select anyone from your dynasty to be the heir to your primary title.

I ask because I'm trying to get a system like this working for a mod, and brainstorming ideas usually works better than just thinking about them on your own.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I just noticed the marshall's "suppress revolts" mission gives a bonus to arrest chance. I guess I can put him in a province before trying to arrest one of my dukes?

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Speaking of Gavelkind issues, I just had an inheritance where I had: 1 empire, 2 kingdoms, 2 duchies, and 9 counties (8 provinces in the 2 duchies and one random other one), and just two sons. I was all ready to switch inheritance to Ultimogeniture (my second kid was super sweet; strong, three stats at 15+, a variety of +opinion traits) as soon as my loving idiot vassals got done warring each other. Instead, I randomly died (at age ~35, no less). Of my 14 titles, can anyone guess how many I inherited?

Three. 1 empire, 1 kingdom, zero duchies, 1 county. Jesus christ. It could at least split up the actual land somewhat evenly; I'd be okay with 4 counties but 1 is just worthless. My previous capitol was in a county, duchy, and kingdom that my brother inherited; I didn't even get to keep that.

Needless to say, I spent the next three years throwing all of my effort at committing suicide and inheriting as the younger son - murdered my wife, wasted 3k gold on assassinations with the hope of retaliations (got about 6 failed retaliations), went on as many Grand Hunts as possible. Nothin'. gently caress this game. gently caress the "no vassals can be fighting when you change inheritance" rule. gently caress loving GAVELKIND.

dPB
Aug 2, 2006
Captain Awesome

DStecks posted:

We were discussing gavelkind succession before, and the general consensus seemed to be that gavelkind is supposed to suck. While I agree with this, I was wondering if you guys have any thoughts on the idea of throwing the player a bone by at least letting them pick their primary heir. Aside from that, it would still be completely gavelkind as usual, but you'd be able to unilaterally select anyone from your dynasty to be the heir to your primary title.

I ask because I'm trying to get a system like this working for a mod, and brainstorming ideas usually works better than just thinking about them on your own.

Picking your own heir won't fix the problem of pretenders getting more land and other random titles which for me is the big issue of gavelkind. Randomly losing my capital to my younger brother and getting stuck in the middle of nowhere with only 1 province got annoying fast.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

dPB posted:

Picking your own heir won't fix the problem of pretenders getting more land and other random titles which for me is the big issue of gavelkind. Randomly losing my capital to my younger brother and getting stuck in the middle of nowhere with only 1 province got annoying fast.

It's not supposed to fix anything, it's just supposed to be a bit of consolation. You're stuck with a weak ruler, but at least you'd get to pick who that weak ruler will be. Gavelkind still sucks, but it's no longer just "primogeniture but shittier".

Of course, I'm also planning to implement it so that the proper heir is none too pleased if you don't pick them.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Parallax Scroll posted:

I just noticed the marshall's "suppress revolts" mission gives a bonus to arrest chance. I guess I can put him in a province before trying to arrest one of my dukes?
Yup! Sorites used that to great effect in his North Korea Zoroastrian LP.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Parallax Scroll posted:

Yes, yes you can. I've done it a couple of times on accident (was already suppressing revolts when I got the chance to imprison it's count).

e,fb

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Eimi posted:

Ah, well that clears up things. Though speaking of the Byzantines, playing as a vassal under the Basilius is quite...intimidating. He starts with high crown authority, and all the bonuses he gets...anyone have any tips for how I can wiggle my way onto his throne? Of course the idiot keeps ordering me to lead troops despite my astounding 10 martial.

vv The idea of a pictish count coming down from Hadrian's Wall to restore the Empire is pretty funny. I may do this because trying to play as a vassal in Byzantium is...irritating. I don't even have enough troops to siege my counts holdings down.

Keep quiet, consolidate your power at the expense of everyone else using marriage and stabbing (and wars against outside states if you manage to find one weak enough), save up your money for mercenaries and holding upgrades, and wait for an opportunity when the Basilius looks vulnerable. The Byzantines are pretty intimidating, but they'll butt heads against the neighboring Muslims quite frequently, and eventually one of those wars will go badly and decimate the Empire's troop counts. The AI rarely revokes duchies, and its habit of instead mutilating and then releasing rebellious dukes tends to leave the Basilius with quite a few pissed-off vassals who'll side with you when you launch your revolt. My Byzantine vassal game began from the Old Gods start date, but the 1066 start date should be pretty similar, just with maybe a longer wait before your chance arrives. Don't ever rebel before you've got an heir, because the penalty for failure is a harsh one:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Yup! Sorites used that to great effect in his North Korea Zoroastrian LP.

I've never felt so sorry for an AI count as when that one guy in Gilan agreed to become Sorites' vassal. No, dude, no, dont. Run.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Seoinin posted:

I've never felt so sorry for an AI count as when that one guy in Gilan agreed to become Sorites' vassal. No, dude, no, dont. Run.

The alternative is to be swarmed by an unending army of 100,000 slave soldiers

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
E: nevermind

beefart fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jan 31, 2014

ThirstyTurtle
Oct 8, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

Keep quiet, consolidate your power at the expense of everyone else using marriage and stabbing (and wars against outside states if you manage to find one weak enough), save up your money for mercenaries and holding upgrades, and wait for an opportunity when the Basilius looks vulnerable. The Byzantines are pretty intimidating, but they'll butt heads against the neighboring Muslims quite frequently, and eventually one of those wars will go badly and decimate the Empire's troop counts. The AI rarely revokes duchies, and its habit of instead mutilating and then releasing rebellious dukes tends to leave the Basilius with quite a few pissed-off vassals who'll side with you when you launch your revolt. My Byzantine vassal game began from the Old Gods start date, but the 1066 start date should be pretty similar, just with maybe a longer wait before your chance arrives. Don't ever rebel before you've got an heir, because the penalty for failure is a harsh one:

Ouch town population you bro.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

DontMockMySmock posted:

Speaking of Gavelkind issues, I just had an inheritance where I had: 1 empire, 2 kingdoms, 2 duchies, and 9 counties (8 provinces in the 2 duchies and one random other one), and just two sons. I was all ready to switch inheritance to Ultimogeniture (my second kid was super sweet; strong, three stats at 15+, a variety of +opinion traits) as soon as my loving idiot vassals got done warring each other. Instead, I randomly died (at age ~35, no less). Of my 14 titles, can anyone guess how many I inherited?

Three. 1 empire, 1 kingdom, zero duchies, 1 county. Jesus christ. It could at least split up the actual land somewhat evenly; I'd be okay with 4 counties but 1 is just worthless. My previous capitol was in a county, duchy, and kingdom that my brother inherited; I didn't even get to keep that.

Needless to say, I spent the next three years throwing all of my effort at committing suicide and inheriting as the younger son - murdered my wife, wasted 3k gold on assassinations with the hope of retaliations (got about 6 failed retaliations), went on as many Grand Hunts as possible. Nothin'. gently caress this game. gently caress the "no vassals can be fighting when you change inheritance" rule. gently caress loving GAVELKIND.

Gavelkind owns. You should have checked if you were your brother's heir, cuz you could have reconsolidated all the holdings through mad stabbing.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Tulip posted:

Gavelkind owns. You should have checked if you were your brother's heir, cuz you could have reconsolidated all the holdings through mad stabbing.

Yeah but his stats were soooo goooood I just wanted to BE him.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
So does anyone know what defines an immoral bishop? I've conquered the entire world apart from Abyssinia (but its heir is of my dynasty) and want something to do while I wait for the Aztec to finally invade.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Jolan posted:

So does anyone know what defines an immoral bishop? I've conquered the entire world apart from Abyssinia (but its heir is of my dynasty) and want something to do while I wait for the Aztec to finally invade.

They need to have the wicked priest trait. It's a grey cross on a black background (for Christians, obviously. Changes symbol depending on which religion you have)

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
OK I'm quite confused on how this works so I figured I'd ask -

I'm Emperor of Britannia. I noticed a lady not in my court has a claim on the whole Kingdom of France. I can press it on her behalf.

I killed my queen, married this girl, pressed the claim. It's not in my empire now - she's a separate queen and counts as an ally and I can't vassalize her.

If I'd given her a country before the claim - making her my vassal - would this have worked to make France part of the britannian empire?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Finally I actually finished a game. This took forever, even from a 1066 start, and had so many insane long con plans that I actually wound up screwing myself in the end. I thought it went to 1455. :/

Realm that will infuriate the pretty borders people (in red):

Score:

Highlights:
* I never attacked Egypt until they were destroyed. I never attacked the Ilkhanate (green blob) until the 1300s. Everything was stabbing and bribing to get them to leave me alone. I payed so much protection money.
* There's two duchies to usurp and a shitload of kingdoms to create. I had no piety. :/
* End ruler had 100% opinion from all vassals
* The previous ruler recognized he had a superheir and lived until almost 81 despite me trying to kill him constantly.
* Britannia, Roman, Hispania and HR empires
* Bohemia should have been mine since he flipped catholic and I kept joining his wars. He just never was not warring so I couldn't invite the jerk.
* Almost my entire realm is the same dynasty.
* The lighter green blob is Persia, who is still ruled by the Liberator guy who rebelled against the now-defunct Timurids. We've got an agreement where he doesn't attack and I don't burn his country down.
* The goddamn Ilkhanate still has a regenerating doomstack somewhere in there.
* gently caress Genoa forever.

Finally I can quit playing this game, by which I mean patch up and play Norse.

Edit:

Lord Twisted posted:

If I'd given her a country before the claim - making her my vassal - would this have worked to make France part of the britannian empire?

Yes, although if you're married then your kid will inherit. If you have other kids, you know what to do.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jan 31, 2014

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Mailer posted:

:

Yes, although if you're married then your kid will inherit. If you have other kids, you know what to do.

She's 55... drat. Though I've identified the potential heir and have a daughter, and that heir would remain my vassal anyway. More about keeping it under the aegis of the empire.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

Lord Twisted posted:

She's 55... drat. Though I've identified the potential heir and have a daughter, and that heir would remain my vassal anyway. More about keeping it under the aegis of the empire.

If the heir to the throne is already a landed vassal of yours and the title isn't elective, you shouldn't need to do anything and you'll eventually get the kingdom. Just make sure to keep an eye on the kingdom and join any wars that would dethrone the current ruler, otherwise there will probably be a new heir.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Life with a vassalized Pope is awesome. I wanted to conquer Brittany but I've got a truce with them, so with five years to kill I'm conquering Spain instead. Like, all of Spain.

Look, it's their fault for staying so hilariously fractured. I'm bringing civilization.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Ugh, that's possibly the most uncomfortable block of text I've ever read in a game. I have never been on the receiving end of a castration event.

My gonads are shrieking.

• Locked thread