Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

ChickenArise posted:

Brining reminded me that there's this, which has surely been linked before http://www.homebrewchef.com/recipes.html

This is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Sirotan that bread onion magnificent creation looks amazing.

Hauki posted:

I've made a few beer ice creams that were pretty good, using a chocolate stout, milk stout and a smoked porter.

Also, poach brats or other sausage in beer with sliced onions, serve with kraut, mustard, more onions and more beer.

Yes! I hate to advocate veal, but veal brats are an occasional dirty pleasure of mine (thanks mom) and they are absolutely perfect when poached with a cheap import lager. Because I grew up in Chicago and Chicago has more Poles than anywhere in the world besides Warszawa, Tyskie Gronie is my preferred cheap pale lager based on its cheapness and abundance. If you were really going for authentic, a simple German lager would work well, but I have a hard time doing anything with Hofbräu that doesn't directly involve drinking it.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Is anyone familiar with Greenbush Brewing? They just started distributing here and I purchased & consumed their "Brother Benjamin" DIPA, and found it both delicious and unique. Dark red/brown color, really nice hop aroma, the malts were very sweet but the hops still strong enough that the bitterness (114 IBU or some poo poo) is still in full force along with the fruity hops. Really cool! They have a bunch of other stuff on the shelf here too. Not like I need any more beer, but I'm pretty intrigued.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
my girlfriend has made me the cake from the Founders website (with FBS, not KBS or FIS) for my past three birthdays; it's really loving good.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

ChickenArise posted:

Brining reminded me that there's this, which has surely been linked before http://www.homebrewchef.com/recipes.html

e: also I've made Stout Mousse; it's amazing

I made the garlic IPA mashed potatoes off that before and was underwhelmed. Not cause they were bad, they were perfectly nice potatoes. But I got no beer character whatsoever even after doubling what the recipe called for :shrug:. Wanna try it again though cause the concept sounds so drat good.

I also had a love-hate relationship with his short-lived Brewing Network show. Paxton obviously knows SO MUCH about beer and food but holy poo poo he just rambles on and on and on and ooooon and never gets to the point. He's better as a guest than a host. The Sunday Session episode a few months back where he ran them through food and beer pairing 101 was outstanding.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

Any recommendations for Seattle (or WA/PNW) beers? It seems like every time I go to the store I end up getting Deschutes or Ninkasi, and I want to mix it up a little bit. I love IPAs, porters, and amber ales.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Beer makes just about any sauce or stew better. I don't make jambalaya without it. And it's pretty awesome in meatloaf too.

My greatest cooking with beer achievement was getting a growler of BCBS Cherry Rye directly from the bright tank after spending a full 8 hours cleaning the fermenter (you would NOT believe how difficult it is to get several hundred pounds of cherries out of one of those fuckers), then marinating duck breast in it and pan-roasting it. Probably the best duck I've ever had. :D I used a bit more Cherry Rye to make some tasty brownies, too.

A few things to keep in mind: Use the beer to enhance and emphasize flavors, don't let it overpower the flavor of the food itself. Reducing beer down too far will make whatever it's in bitter and unpleasant. For this reason, you should generally avoid using beers like IPAs in cooking, since the bitterness will overwhelm whatever else you pair it with.

ChickenArise posted:

Beer turns to vinegar when acetobacter gets to it, glhf. OR http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-lactofermented-mixed-pickles-recipes-from-the-kitchn-194011 do it do it

Goose Island had a barrel of 2009 Juliet that got completely saturated with acetobacter, so one of the brewers put it in bottles and gave it out as malt vinegar. I managed to snag one, and I use it in salads all the time. :D

krustster, Greenbush is a great little brewery in Michigan that's been growing by leaps and bounds. They now have an actual 15BBL production brewhouse, but when I visited it two years ago the brewhouse was a tiny, ramshackle thing. If you like black IPAs, Anger is a legitimately tasty example of the style.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Anyone going to the release day of Drake's IIIPA?

http://drinkdrakes.com/hopocalypse2014/

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Ron Don Volante posted:

Any recommendations for Seattle (or WA/PNW) beers? It seems like every time I go to the store I end up getting Deschutes or Ninkasi, and I want to mix it up a little bit. I love IPAs, porters, and amber ales.

Fremont, dude

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

krustster posted:

Is anyone familiar with Greenbush Brewing? They just started distributing here and I purchased & consumed their "Brother Benjamin" DIPA, and found it both delicious and unique. Dark red/brown color, really nice hop aroma, the malts were very sweet but the hops still strong enough that the bitterness (114 IBU or some poo poo) is still in full force along with the fruity hops. Really cool! They have a bunch of other stuff on the shelf here too. Not like I need any more beer, but I'm pretty intrigued.

I loving hated Brother Benjamin when I had it. It had that syrupy hop profile that I absolutely despise. That said, Ubik recommended Anger, which is a solid black IPA and one I'd recommend to fans of the style.

You could hardly call the Jolly Pumpkin thing at Local Option an event. The brewer showed up, sat at their own table with their crew, and really didn't interact with anyone else, and they really didn't pull out anything but kegs of shelf JP. Kind of disappointing, but hey, when your consolation prize is BA Kentucky Common, it's hard to feel sad.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Manky posted:

Cooking bpa in the can does worry me though.

I'd be more concerned about the inks and dyes on the can label. That stuff doesn't have to be food-safe.

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

crazyfish posted:

HF doesn't sell their glassware online.

Ah right, I forgot I'm one of those that only buys glassware of the breweries I've visited. My bad.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

krustster posted:

I don't much care for Brother Benjamin, but Closure is one of the best pale ales on the market IMO, and Dunegras is an entirely enjoyable if not particularly memorable IPA. I guess I'll have to try Anger next.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

crazyfish posted:

I loving hated Brother Benjamin when I had it.

I concur. It tasted like hops-infused vodka. I'm not even sure if they used any malt...

I like Delusion, their rye BA'd cream stout. Probably not worth the price, but it's pretty unique: a sharper alcohol at the beginning that smooths into something softer. I also enjoy their coffee cream stout, Mr. Hyde, which they did as a "collab" with Chicago's Small Bar.

The best thing about Greenbush, though, is the brewpub's location. Going from Chicago to anywhere in Michigan, it's pretty much a must-stop since it is only 1/4 mile off of a highway exit. Food was quite good, too.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

My wife got me one of those Dogfish Head Randall Jr.s for my birthday, and I made a dark matter coffee infused Founders Imperial Stout that was pretty tasty last night. Excited to experiment with some vanilla bean infused stouts (BCBS) and some fruited stuff as well. Anyone made any beastly recipes with one of these?

Also, Chicago, looks like Sucaba is starting to hit the market this week.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

danbanana posted:

I concur. It tasted like hops-infused vodka. I'm not even sure if they used any malt...

I like Delusion, their rye BA'd cream stout. Probably not worth the price, but it's pretty unique: a sharper alcohol at the beginning that smooths into something softer. I also enjoy their coffee cream stout, Mr. Hyde, which they did as a "collab" with Chicago's Small Bar.

The best thing about Greenbush, though, is the brewpub's location. Going from Chicago to anywhere in Michigan, it's pretty much a must-stop since it is only 1/4 mile off of a highway exit. Food was quite good, too.

I want to like Greenbush, and I've had a couple great beers from them, but most seem to miss the mark. I appreciate the the fact that they bring an insane amount of beers to sample at the quarterly Michigan beer fests.

Here's their line-up for the Winter Beer Fest in Grand Rapids in a few weeks:

Pete’s Original Red Hot – Oatmeal & Cinnamon Winter Warmer
Mr. Hyde – Coffee Cream Stout
Indispensable – IPA w/Mandarina Hops
Ursus – Winter Olde Ale
Terminator X – American Strong Ale
drat Dirty Ape – Banana Bread Brown
PHD – Malt Liquor
There Are Owls in the Roadhouse – Raspberry Porter
The Birds Sing a Pretty Song – Blackberry Porter
Dystopia – Russian Imperial Stout
Remnant of Dragon – Imperial Red IPA
VanderBush – American Tripel w/VanderMill Cider
1825 – Belgian Strong Ale
Isole – Belgian Dubbel
Brother Benjamin – Imperial IPA w/Honey
LTD – “Old Fashioned” Ale
A Sheep in Tall Grass – Scottish Ale
Pain – Imperial Cream Stout
Cabra Perdida – Blueberry Imperial Cream Stout
Rage – Double Black IPA
BA Black Swan – Blackberry Ale
BA One and the Same – Raspberry Ale
BA Rye Porter
BA Insufficient Kitchen – Brown Ale w/Black Peppercorn
BA Unicorn Killer – Pumpkin Ale
BA Mincemeat Porter
BA Mr. Hyde – Coffee Cream Stout
BA Retribution – Belgian Hybrid Ale
BA Ursus – Winter Olde Ale
BA Terminator X – American Strong Ale
BA Doomslayer – Maple Brown Ale
BA There Are Owls in the Roadhouse – Raspberry Porter
BA The Birds Sing a Pretty Song – Blackberry Porter
BA Dystopia – Russian Imperial Stout
BA VanderBush – American Tripel w/VanderMill Cider
BA LTD – “Old Fashioned” Ale
BA Cabra Perdida – Blueberry Imperial Cream Stout
Delusion – BA Imperial Cream Stout
Mr. Nice Guy – Mary Jane Candy Ale
Trucker Tussle – IPA w/Warhead Candies
Hipster Ketchup (Don’t be a Menace in Irwindale While Making Your Beer with Sriracha) – Sriracha Stout
Riding in Cars with Aaron – Imperial Brown Ale
You Wouldn’t Like Me When I’m Hangry – Monster Cookie Ale
Zabelküchen – Gingersnap Ale
Red Stapler (Die MFer…) – Imperial Blonde Ale w/Lime
Porter?! drat Near Killer Her!
The Brew Abides – Imperial White Russian Stout
Steve’s Not Here, Man – IPA
Tail Gunner – Cinnamon Raisin Ale
Pryemustout – Russian Imperial Stout w/ Pretzels

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

Cervixalot posted:

My wife got me one of those Dogfish Head Randall Jr.s for my birthday, and I made a dark matter coffee infused Founders Imperial Stout that was pretty tasty last night. Excited to experiment with some vanilla bean infused stouts (BCBS) and some fruited stuff as well. Anyone made any beastly recipes with one of these?

Also, Chicago, looks like Sucaba is starting to hit the market this week.

I got one a while back and haven't actually used it yet. It's been sitting in a kitchen cabinet, I think I'm going to give it a whack this weekend and see what I can come up with.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Chicagoons: any of you have any hopslam lying around? I saw zero bottles of it anywhere and apparently that's all we're getting. I was out in the burbs last night and went to a place that beermenus claimed to have it on tap, but the keg was gone in a day. I'm so loving infuriated at craft beer anymore. I'm just going to retire and drink PBR and Blime.

I just one my one goddamn six pack of the poo poo. It's just loving hopslam. gently caress everyone and everything.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ShaneB posted:

Chicagoons: any of you have any hopslam lying around? I saw zero bottles of it anywhere and apparently that's all we're getting. I was out in the burbs last night and went to a place that beermenus claimed to have it on tap, but the keg was gone in a day. I'm so loving infuriated at craft beer anymore. I'm just going to retire and drink PBR and Blime.

I just one my one goddamn six pack of the poo poo. It's just loving hopslam. gently caress everyone and everything.

Was the place in the burbs Poor Phil's? I know they tapped it yesterday...

The only places I saw 6 packs were Famous in Forest Park (that was charging $20 a sixer, to which I told them to go gently caress themselves [in my head]) and Marion Street Cheese Market (conveniently across the street from me) which wasn't gouging. But that was a week ago and they are most assuredly sold out.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

ShaneB posted:

Not a 6 pack, but I have 3 or 4 bottles left in my fridge I'm happy to part with if you are interested. I lucked into two six packs at grocery stores this year (Whole Foods and Trader Joes of all places), and have been using single bottles as trade extras and to give to friends.

After being nuts about all things IPA for a few years, i'm finding myself not wanting to drink them as much as I used to - mostly enjoying them with spicy food or other good pairings.

Still obsessed with stouts, and finding myself loving sours more and more each day. Cliche, I know.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Cervixalot posted:

Not a 6 pack, but I have 3 or 4 bottles left in my fridge I'm happy to part with if you are interested. I lucked into two six packs at grocery stores this year (Whole Foods and Trader Joes of all places), and have been using single bottles as trade extras and to give to friends.

I can trade you something for sure. I'll shoot you a PM to arrange a pickup/dropoff. :)

danbanana posted:

Was the place in the burbs Poor Phil's? I know they tapped it yesterday...

I was out in Downer's Grove and went to Standard Market. I think they tapped it Wednesday.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
I'm surprised, given the popularity of Hosplam, that Bell's doesn't make it available year-round.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Furious Lobster posted:

I'm surprised, given the popularity of Hosplam, that Bell's doesn't make it available year-round.

But then it wouldn't be popular.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Furious Lobster posted:

Artificial scarcity means you can charge whatever you want for a six pack and people will pay it.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Ron Don Volante posted:

Pike, Fremont, Hales, Elysian, Schooner, and Big Als have bottles in all the shops and rule. Odin is another good one with a lot of bottles around. Wingman from Tacoma does a great porter, but its not as widely distributed. If you hit up 99 Bottles or the brewery itself you can get Epic Ales, which are real good beers. Try Iron Horse Irish Death if you haven't tried it already. If you see any bottles from Two Beers, they're another great Seattle brewery. Lately, I've been the most into Sound Brewing, but they do mostly belgian influenced beers with high %, which doesn't sound exactly like what you're looking for. I'm forgetting some good ones here too.

A lot of the breweries I really like around here don't bottle, but we have plenty of breweries who are doing IPA/Amber/Porter/Stout/so on as well as Deschutes and Ninkasi. Of the breweries I thought of, Big Al's is known for their IPA, Amber and Porter so that seems like a good thing for you to poke around for.

if you want a more specific list, certain breweries sort of have "signature" beers they're known for
Hale's Supergoose IPA
Schooner Exact 3-Grid IPA
Pike Kilt Lifter
Elysian Men's Room
Iron Horse's Irish Death
Silver City (who i forgot, doh) Fat Scotch
Georgetown Manny's... you have to go to a bar or the brewery for this one but its one of the most popular micro brews around. Its at like every bar I ever go to

Bundt Cake fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 31, 2014

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Tigren posted:

But then it wouldn't be popular.

Pliny begs to differ.

ShaneB posted:

Artificial scarcity means you can charge whatever you want for a six pack and people will pay it.

RR charges $6 per bottle not to mention stores' additional cost on top of that. You think Bell's is getting away with prices?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

And re: hopslam, don't know if you all saw this on BA, but this just hits home up how nuts people are about this beer: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/columbus-shop-selling-illegal-hopslam.148242/

Basically, some guy in Columbus went to a chain grocery store and bought them out of 76 cases of Hopslam at retail prices(~$1,800 bucks). A short time later, a small craft beer store known for being sketchy announces on social media that they miraculously have 80 cases of Hopslam that will be for sale (at $4 a bottle).

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ShaneB posted:

I was out in Downer's Grove and went to Standard Market. I think they tapped it Wednesday.

Phil's in Oak Park might still have it. It isn't the most widely known place.

http://www.beermenus.com/places/1164-poor-phil-s

I might try to walk over there tonight and try the Destihl berliner...

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Cervixalot posted:

And re: hopslam, don't know if you all saw this on BA, but this just hits home up how nuts people are about this beer: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/columbus-shop-selling-illegal-hopslam.148242/

Basically, some guy in Columbus went to a chain grocery store and bought them out of 76 cases of Hopslam at retail prices(~$1,800 bucks). A short time later, a small craft beer store known for being sketchy announces on social media that they miraculously have 80 cases of Hopslam that will be for sale (at $4 a bottle).

Wow this story is glorious.

"Savor released a statement trying to sidestep the issue stating that an employee might have purchased the $1,800 worth of Hopslam, but it was for personal consumption and not done under their name."

:lol:

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

ShaneB posted:

I can trade you something for sure. I'll shoot you a PM to arrange a pickup/dropoff. :)

I'll check some of the more overlooked spots on my route home and I'll let you know if I find anything, but I'm not super hopeful. I've got a sixer in my fridge that I plan on dipping into tonight.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Docjowles posted:

Wow this story is glorious.

"Savor released a statement trying to sidestep the issue stating that an employee might have purchased the $1,800 worth of Hopslam, but it was for personal consumption and not done under their name."

:lol:

"in other news, a local man is dead due to what puzzled doctors are referring to as acute hop poisoning"

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Docjowles posted:

So that's the guy who's aging all the Hopslam!

Furious Lobster posted:

Maybe it's not an easily scalable product?

http://www.bellsbeer.com/brands/19-Hopslam%20Ale

Sounds to me like it's something more complex than they usually do, plus the honey thing might make it harder. Or maybe they just don't make money on it?

danbanana fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jan 31, 2014

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Furious Lobster posted:

I suspect if it went year round, the sales of it would eventually peter out as it lost its whale status

edit: Ah i guess I missed some posts there, i'm not saying anything not already said

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

RiggenBlaque posted:

I suspect if it went year round, the sales of it would eventually peter out as it lost its whale status

As mentioned above, Pliny.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Furious Lobster posted:

As mentioned above, Pliny.

I know Pliny - and Hopslam, sir, is no Pliny.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

RiggenBlaque posted:

Well, I don't even think it is that. Pliny has a MUCH smaller distro area.
I'm in my beginning of the year 'who cares' mode so I didn't find any Hopslam, of course I've wandered into bars and had it on tap so I'm not too upset.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Comparing it to Pliny makes no sense as it's really drat easy to get and priced pretty fairly in the world of $10 bombers.

ChiTownEddie posted:

I'm in my beginning of the year 'who cares' mode so I didn't find any Hopslam, of course I've wandered into bars and had it on tap so I'm not too upset.

I care mostly because what it says about the evolving state of craft beer and I hate being that guy who is like "why can't it be 3 years ago" but that's where I find myself.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

RiggenBlaque posted:

I think that they're on the same levels as DIPAs go, honestly; I think if Bell's can do it with Two Hearted, they'll be fine with Hopslam as well.

Edit:

ShaneB posted:

Comparing it to Pliny makes no sense as it's really drat easy to get and priced pretty fairly in the world of $10 bombers.

I care mostly because what it says about the evolving state of craft beer and I hate being that guy who is like "why can't it be 3 years ago" but that's where I find myself.

You think that Pliny is easy to get and it's a bomber? :psyduck:

ChiTownEddie posted:

Yeah, the distro area is a lot smaller, which would help Bell's because it distributes to so many states that even if produced year round, demand would not falter.

Furious Lobster fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jan 31, 2014

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Furious Lobster posted:

I think if Bell's can do it with Two Hearted, they'll be fine with Hopslam as well.

I'm definitely not an expert but I have a feeling a single-hop IPA is much easier to produce in large quantities than a DIPA with 6 hop varieties and local honey added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

danbanana posted:

I'm definitely not an expert but I have a feeling a single-hop IPA is much easier to produce in large quantities than a DIPA with 6 hop varieties and local honey added.

I wasn't talking about the production difficulty but rather the fact that Two Hearted is produced regularly and sales do not drop, which would carry over to Hopslam.