Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
I saw a marinara recipe a while back that called for a lot of garlic, but had just a couple ingredients (something like 5 total things). Does anyone know what I'm looking for or have a good similar recipe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Here's a very simple recipe I've made a ton of times and added a lot of garlic to every time and it comes out wonderful. I've also made it vegan with olive oil instead of butter, as well as with no added fat at all and it's always delicious. You can blend it to your desired chunkiness if a true marinara is what you're after - I like mine completely smooth. I also blend the onion with the rest of it rather than discard it.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Nub question here.

If I find my food and fond burning quicker than it should on, say, medium heat, that's a problem of not adding enough fat to the pan, right?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
It's possible your stove is still too hot. Even with the same stove, different pans will react differently. Just ease back on the heat there, tiger.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Also thin, cheap pans conduct heat straight through rather than retaining and distributing it.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Revol posted:

I recently moved out on my own for the first time. For Christmas, I got a crock pot, mostly so I can cook the family spaghetti sauce on my own. (I'll be the third generation now, if not more.) but I want to do more with it, especially a dish I fell in love with when I worked in the dining room of a nursing home: beef burgundy.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an easy recipe for beef burgundy in a slow cooker? I've never cooked a big dish like this before, this is really gonna be my first foray into real cooking.

While I'm here, I'd also love a recipe for an easy chicken Parmesan that has a crispy breading. And is it a bad idea to serve it with meat sauce?

I do a sort of beef burgundy in the slow cooker all the time, It's pretty much made up as I go but I've never fed it to anyone who didn't really like it (professional actual cooks included!)

This is basically what I do, but it's very flexible like all stews.

quote:

Sort-of Beef Bourgignon

Vegetable oil
700g Rib Steak, trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
3 medium onions, diced finely
3-4 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped.
2 tblsp tomato puree
6-8 evenly sized shallots, peeled but left whole
125g smoked rashers, minced (belly is tastiest but back works too)
1 bottle decent quality red wine (2/3 for cookin' 1/3 for sippin')
2-3 tablespoons flour - I usually go by eyeball but this sounds about right
1 tblsp chopped thyme
1 bay leaf
4-5 Dried porcini or shiitake mushrooms, soaked and minced (optional)
Splash Mushroom ketchup (optional)
Splash Worcestershine Sauce (optional)
1 tsp Wholegrain mustard (yep, optional)
Freshly ground black pepper +Salt if needed.

Turn on your slow cooker on low.
Heat up your frying pan til nearly smoking and add about a tablespoon of oil.
Fry the meat in batches so that is nice and crusty brown all over.
As each batch is done, throw it into the slow cooker.
Once all the beef is done, add the minced rashers to the pan - you'll probably need more oil at this stage.
Once they are lightly browned, through them into the slow cooker.
Heat up the pan again and throw in the shallots. Toss them around so they brown lightly on all sides, then yep, into the slow cooker.
Add the onions to the pan and stir them around to get nice and meaty - add a dash more oil if it is needed.
Reduce the heat and saute the onions til they are softening and add the garlic.
Once they are nice and tender, stir in the flour and let it cook a little for a couple of minutes but be careful not to let it burn.
When it all looks good, slowly pour your wine into the pan while stirring everything around, around 2/3 of the bottle should be enough.
Pour the contents of the pan into your slow cooker, making sure to get every tasty bit of meatiness in.
Stir the puree, thyme, bayleaf, pepper, minced mushrooms, mustard, mushroom ketchup into the mixture and then let it cook on low for about 8 hours.

I peek a few times and check the meat for tenderness and gravy for balance even though that is apparently heresy for slow-cookers.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

pr0k posted:

Also thin, cheap pans conduct heat straight through rather than retaining and distributing it.

THIS. You don't have to buy obscenely expensive ones (as they are only marginally better then the middle-of-the-road stuff), but cheap pans suck.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Yes, that's probably the #1 killer for newbie cooks. Those cheapass poo poo pans they sell at WallyWorld. To paraphrase Tony Bourdain:

"IF you bring the pan down strongly on someone's head, and there is any doubt about which will be damaged - throw that cheap piece of poo poo in the trash."

I don't have the energy to do all kinds of pans, so here's just a basic 12" nonstick skillet.

This is what I use; professional quality, $50:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/12-.../936EZ4012.html

Here is top of the line fancypants quality, $180

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/3899549/?catalogId=8&sku=3899549

This is cheap poo poo. $20 for THREE PANS WOW! SUCH DEAL!:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Farberware-3-Piece-8-10-12-Open-Skillet-Set/22984344

They really screw you with this bundle of little pans you will never use along with the big one that is cheap, cheap, cheap, lovely, light, chinese made poo poo with plastic handles. Your pancakes will come out burnt in the middle and pasty on the edges because the pan will retain no heat. It will warp the first time you use it. If you hit someone with it you had better plan on them hitting you back. Do not use. Discard. If given as a present, hit the gift-giver with them as a joke.

In short, don't buy cheap, lovely pans. If you can't swing $50 for your main pan, go cast iron instead. That's the original nonstick pan.

I have one of these too. Good quaity, great price $20. Even at WallyWorld. And made in the good'ol USA.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lodge-Logic-12-Cast-Iron-Skillet/5969633

Plus it comes with this awesome care and usage guide:

CuddleChunks posted:

A cast iron pan is a huge lump of tough metal. You don't have to baby it like other pans, you can attack it with steel spatulas, use it for hand-to-hand combat, get a good wrist workout moving it around and generally not give two shits about the pan because it's cast IRON. It's not some sissified ultraslick polymer carefully bonded to a laser ground surface that's been vapor-deposited because if you do it any other way you end up with a sad, unattractive pan.

Cast iron is a burly lump of cooking metal! Heat it up with a blowtorch and then cook a steak on it! Throw it in a campfire for a half hour, brush off the cinders and cook another goddamn steak in it! Rust? RUST? gently caress YOU OXIDES! Take a goddamn steel scrubbie to the surface or a loving disc sander and grind off any loving oxides you see! Your nonstick pan has passed out in a nervous faint while you're busy throwing that huge lump of metal onto your grill!

Unless you've got a grill hotter than the fires of Mount Doom itself you're not going to hurt it any. Worried about flare ups? THOSE FLARE UPS BETTER WORRY ABOUT YOUR PAN COMING DOWN THERE AND KICKING THREE KINDS OF poo poo OUT OF THEM!

OUCH gently caress poo poo!~!! Yeah, grabbed the burning hot metal of your cast iron without sufficient safety wear because you're some kind of inbred who can't remember that metal is still hot even when it isn't glowing or otherwise emitting in the visible light spectrum! Good job, stupid, maybe next time you'll respect the pan but it's okay, a little pain is fine since you just brush off the seared flesh from your pan's surface with a steel brush and keep right on cooking.

Cast Iron - accept no substitutes.

pr0k fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 31, 2014

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

If I'm doing anything that involves double-frying, can I do the first fry ahead of time and then do the second fry just before serving? And if yes, about how far in advance can I do the first fry with out needing to freeze things.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
I have quality cookware. Cook mainly in sturdy stainless steel pans, one coated in enamel, and cast iron pans older than I am.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

pr0k posted:

Yes, that's probably the #1 killer for newbie cooks. Those cheapass poo poo pans they sell at WallyWorld. To paraphrase Tony Bourdain:

"IF you bring the pan down strongly on someone's head, and there is any doubt about which will be damaged - throw that cheap piece of poo poo in the trash."

I don't have the energy to do all kinds of pans, so here's just a basic 12" nonstick skillet.

This is what I use; professional quality, $50:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/12-.../936EZ4012.html

Here is top of the line fancypants quality, $180

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/3899549/?catalogId=8&sku=3899549

This is cheap poo poo. $20 for THREE PANS WOW! SUCH DEAL!:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Farberware-3-Piece-8-10-12-Open-Skillet-Set/22984344

They really screw you with this bundle of little pans you will never use along with the big one that is cheap, cheap, cheap, lovely, light, chinese made poo poo with plastic handles. Your pancakes will come out burnt in the middle and pasty on the edges because the pan will retain no heat. It will warp the first time you use it. If you hit someone with it you had better plan on them hitting you back. Do not use. Discard. If given as a present, hit the gift-giver with them as a joke.

In short, don't buy cheap, lovely pans. If you can't swing $50 for your main pan, go cast iron instead. That's the original nonstick pan.

I have one of these too. Good quaity, great price $20. Even at WallyWorld. And made in the good'ol USA.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lodge-Logic-12-Cast-Iron-Skillet/5969633

Plus it comes with this awesome care and usage guide:

I have to make do with cheaper pans, cause I don't have the money to pay $50 for a single pan, and $50 for each pot.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

As a fellow poor person I sympathize, but it is worth it to save up and get one eventually. A good quality heavy pot/pan will last for a very long time, and cast iron cookware will outlive you if you aren't a complete moron. For all the cheap pans I've replaced over the years I could've just gotten a couple good ones that I'd still be using, live and learn.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
I have a 10" non stick restaurant pan I got for 20 bux, most of the 10" ones seem to be around there on supply websites. I use it for eggs pretty much only.

My 12" cast iron sees the bulk of use around my house and was about 20 dollars.

I have a Calphalon 12" saute pan that I use every now and then I got on clearance for 20 dollars.

I would be perfectly happy using my cast iron pan for pretty much everything though. I use it so much the seasoning is pretty much always perfect on it.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

.Z. posted:

If I'm doing anything that involves double-frying, can I do the first fry ahead of time and then do the second fry just before serving? And if yes, about how far in advance can I do the first fry with out needing to freeze things.

Can you be more specific? In general the answer to your question is that you have four hours for your food to be between 40F and 135F, total, before it's unsafe. If you're talking raw chicken, I would advise two hours max in that temperature zone, but that's pretty conservative.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

As a fellow poor person I sympathize, but it is worth it to save up and get one eventually. A good quality heavy pot/pan will last for a very long time, and cast iron cookware will outlive you if you aren't a complete moron. For all the cheap pans I've replaced over the years I could've just gotten a couple good ones that I'd still be using, live and learn.

I guess I will see if I can get the $50 I need for a good one, I just need to find a good restaurant supply store that isn't designed for foodies (The foodie store has like $200 pans and I don't want to spend that much).

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Senior Scarybagels posted:

I have to make do with cheaper pans, cause I don't have the money to pay $50 for a single pan, and $50 for each pot.

Did you read the part about cast iron? Read that part again. You do not have to spend $50 per pan / pot. And you don't need 12 different sizes of pots and pans either. You really only need 2 total pans for most basic cooking tasks: one big fuckoff (preferably cast iron) skillet for searing and sauteeing and sauce-making, which will be cheap as free and if you don't have one you are just lazy; and one decent large heavy-bottomed pot (preferably one that can hold 8 quarts so you can make a whole lot of something and preferably one that is oven-safe so you can do braises and roasts in it--this can also be cast iron if you want to be super hardcore, but steel is also fine). Look at your local thrift store and buy the heavy poo poo. You also might want a little lovely teflon frying pan for eggs; mine is $2 and is from Ikea, but unless you plan to baby it and ONLY cook eggs in it, then it's probably not worth your time.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I've heard quite a few people on SA say that they picked up some very nice high quality used cookware in thrift shops, so maybe check out whatever is in you area?

Personally,I've never seen anything decent where I live but that is because it is Ireland and people do not give away nice pots to charity shops (possibly because up until around 1985 no one had anything better than a dented aluminium pan, so we're still pretty stoked about getting cast iron.)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Get a wok too when you can, that has a huge range of uses beyond stir frying and a decent wok is like thirty bucks max.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
If there's a TJ Maxx / Marshalls / Homegoods wherever you are, those are all great places to pick up quality cookware heavily discounted.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

rj54x posted:

If there's a TJ Maxx / Marshalls / Homegoods wherever you are, those are all great places to pick up quality cookware heavily discounted.

THIS! I bought my cast iron at full price at Walmart ($18 and $24 I think?), but everything else I've picked up one piece at a time at discount stores. So, nothing matches in my collection, but it's quality stuff that I didn't pay much for.

The problem with discount stores is that it's hit or miss; you never know what they have in stock. So instead of going there specifically to buy XYZ, you just have to see what they have. And sometimes they have nothing worth buying.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
If you live in the South and have a Grandmother then chances are you have a free cast iron something as well.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for all the advice I will look into all these options. I will check the local DAV first.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Wroughtirony posted:

Can you be more specific? In general the answer to your question is that you have four hours for your food to be between 40F and 135F, total, before it's unsafe. If you're talking raw chicken, I would advise two hours max in that temperature zone, but that's pretty conservative.

I'm just wanting to get some fries and chicken wings in for a first frying ahead of time before a party. And the chicken wings would have already been pre-cooked before the frying.

4 hours is plenty of time to work with.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Could I get some recommendations for food around the Himalayan region? To clarify, I'm not in the area, but going to a restaurant that specializes in food from Tibet, Bhutan and Nepal.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
It's a pretty basic yak-and-potato diet up there.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Could I get some recommendations for food around the Himalayan region? To clarify, I'm not in the area, but going to a restaurant that specializes in food from Tibet, Bhutan and Nepal.

Momos! Eat all the momos.

Also depending on region they specialize in you may be able to get some awesome Burmese influenced salads. If you see la phet (fermented tea leaf) salad get it.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013
I've been making some fresh pasta recently as its quick easy and rather tasty.

Anyone have some ideas for what to stick in pasta to give it some flavor?

I've done:
Salt and pepper in a chicken noodle soup
Siracha in a stuffed pepper
Spinach (and other leafy greens)with cheese and some oil

I was thinking maybe the siracha noodles as a lasagna with kale, beef, cottage cheese.

Looking forward to seeing some noodle recipes.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

rj54x posted:

Hell yes. Even the higher end stuff, I've started collecting all-clad because they're cheap compared to gun collecting and I use them more often. One piece I bought directly from the all clad factory seconds sale, a 12" stainless tri ply pan for like $80. Two I've gotten from TJ Maxx, an 8 qt copper core stock pot for $150, and a 10" copper core pan for $60.
They all work beautifully, even on an electric cooktop, to the point that my cast iron pan isn't in heavy rotation anymore.

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012
Is there a good vegetarian substitute for ground turkey? I am looking to replace it in a chili I make as I will be making it for vegetarian friends. Of course, just leaving it out is a possibilty, but I find just bean chilis to be a tad boring and would like to add a high-protein substitute in if possible.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

Is there a good vegetarian substitute for ground turkey? I am looking to replace it in a chili I make as I will be making it for vegetarian friends. Of course, just leaving it out is a possibilty, but I find just bean chilis to be a tad boring and would like to add a high-protein substitute in if possible.

TVP.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Does anyone have any particularly good recipes for Cornish pasties, or other hand meat pies? I want to make a couple dozen and freeze them for when I want a food but don't want to effort.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Found bacon in my fridge, still sealed with an expiration date of 9/13. Still useable?

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

GobiasIndustries posted:

Found bacon in my fridge, still sealed with an expiration date of 9/13. Still useable?

Does it look okay or is it going grey/green? If you open it how does it smell? Like bacon or like something else?

I'll push bacon past its expiry date a lot because it's a cured food but you may be close to its limits there.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

GobiasIndustries posted:

Unless it was frozen, it's probably off.

Open it up. If it smells weird (you know what bacon smells like, I assume) or it's slimy, it's bad. If it's turning gray (or god forbid, green) it's bad.

E:f;b by a whole two minutes.

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012

Thank you for the suggestion!

I've never cooked TVP or anything similar. I am not what I would call a "cook." Any recommendations on how to prepare it? I should have clarified that I cook the chili in a slow cooker for 6-7 hours after browning the seasoned turkey in oil in a pan.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

Thank you for the suggestion!

I've never cooked TVP or anything similar. I am not what I would call a "cook." Any recommendations on how to prepare it? I should have clarified that I cook the chili in a slow cooker for 6-7 hours after browning the seasoned turkey in oil in a pan.

Once it's reconstituted, you can cook it pretty much like you would for ground beef. However, for a chili, I wouldn't recommend rehydrating it separately, just dump it in the pot, and make sure you've got enough fluid in the chili. This way, you are rehydrating it with FLAVOR.

Flavor is the key thing here, it has a slight beany flavor, and that's it. It needs A LOT of seasoning.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for the replies. The coloring looks totally fine, which is why I asked since that seemed curious, but like you mentioned, it's a cured food so I figured I had some time. I'll open tomorrow and see what it smells/feels like.

Another expiration date question: vinegars. My roommate has a ton of various vinegars with use-by dates back in '10/11 that are stuffed in the back of the pantry. I don't want to toss his stuff out, but if it isn't edible I'd like to talk to him about it and make some space.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Vinegar can't go bad because it already went bad

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.
Just ate the first PB+J sandwich in my life.

I had heard wonderful things about those, however I ended up slightly underwhelmed. Maybe I just expected too much, but it didn't cause me to think more than "Ok, this is alright I guess."

I made the sandwich myself. I used organic strawberry marmalade and crunchy peanut butter. I drank coke (diet) with it.

Maybe I didn't use enough peanut butter? Is it better with more peanut butter? Are there any typical mistakes to be made when preparing a PB+J?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It's fuckin peanut butter and jelly/jam, dude. I'm not sure what you were expecting.