Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

ShaneB posted:

I care mostly because what it says about the evolving state of craft beer and I hate being that guy who is like "why can't it be 3 years ago" but that's where I find myself.

I probably phrased what I was trying to say incorrectly. I meant it more that even with the relatively minor amount of effort I put into getting good beers through out the year...I burn out by the end of the year. Jan is typically a lull for me while I recover (probably also financially haha). For example this is why Ive never gotten Sucaba, and basically only randomly/luckily get Hopslam.

Now that said, the 'state of craft beer' is definitely interesting and sometimes it is hard to not feel like you do. I mean hell, I just said that I burn out from dealing with it. I guess I just put it in perspective by thinking about how this fervor is why we have such a great market in Chicago and so many new interesting breweries opening up. Shrug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB_vpBD413s

I still find the guy funny.

For Hopslam chat: Kasey's Tavern in Printer's Row has it on tap.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Compusaurus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB_vpBD413s

I still find the guy funny.

1 mile walk from work... can grab Brown line to get home instead of Metra... must resist

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
MOOOORRREEEE, scream the beer nerds.

Cautiously optimistic. You really have to wonder at what point quantity starts to affect quality. I don't think it has yet but this is looking like a very big jump in production.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

danbanana posted:

MOOOORRREEEE, scream the beer nerds.

Cautiously optimistic. You really have to wonder at what point quantity starts to affect quality. I don't think it has yet but this is looking like a very big jump in production.

Good :colbert: CO finally got BCBS bottles for the first time this year but even so it seems to have been a tiny allotment. I couldn't find anyplace that was allowing more than 1 bottle per customer (for regular, let alone variants). Only came away with 3 bottles of regular and 1 coffee despite putting in moderate effort to hunt it down.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Docjowles posted:

Good :colbert: CO finally got BCBS bottles for the first time this year but even so it seems to have been a tiny allotment. I couldn't find anyplace that was allowing more than 1 bottle per customer (for regular, let alone variants). Only came away with 3 bottles of regular and 1 coffee despite putting in moderate effort to hunt it down.

Don't get me wrong: I think more is better. And I'm certainly a person to defend GI in the post-buyout era as being as good- if not better- than before.

I just wonder about the shear amount of barrels they're dealing with at a certain point. Having heard the process that Korder and Laffler did in their days in the barrel room (literally tasting every batch, ranking each barrel, and only using the "good" ones), I can't help but think that there's a certain point when that personal touch can't be done.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

Don't get me wrong: I think more is better. And I'm certainly a person to defend GI in the post-buyout era as being as good- if not better- than before.

I just wonder about the shear amount of barrels they're dealing with at a certain point. Having heard the process that Korder and Laffler did in their days in the barrel room (literally tasting every batch, ranking each barrel, and only using the "good" ones), I can't help but think that there's a certain point when that personal touch can't be done.

If they have money to spend on this new facility, they have money to spend on extra cellarmen to help keep the barrels in line, and InBev has the expertise to scale quality control operations, so I have no doubt that GI will continue to be able to maintain quality as long as the more insidious aspects of InBev don't creep in.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

crazyfish posted:

as long as the more insidious aspects of InBev don't creep in.

2014 Bourbon County Brand Adjunct Lager*

*Artificially flavored and colored. Contains no actual bourbon.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
I just hope they use all of the new barrels to produce more coffee.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

cryme posted:

I just hope they use all of the new barrels to produce more coffee.

HatfulOfHollow posted:

BCBS Select 55

Uuudar
Apr 18, 2003

HatfulOfHollow posted:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-27/millercoors-seeks-spirits-fans-with-bourbon-like-lager.html

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

[youtube-mcbain that's the joke]

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Overly hyped but still delicious CA IPA lottery: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/571900

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Furious Lobster posted:

Overly hyped but still delicious CA IPA lottery: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/571900

Citra was very good, but I'd drink Heady over it any day. And Heady is a lot easier to trade for.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

ShaneB posted:

Chicagoons: any of you have any hopslam lying around? I saw zero bottles of it anywhere and apparently that's all we're getting. I was out in the burbs last night and went to a place that beermenus claimed to have it on tap, but the keg was gone in a day. I'm so loving infuriated at craft beer anymore. I'm just going to retire and drink PBR and Blime.

I just one my one goddamn six pack of the poo poo. It's just loving hopslam. gently caress everyone and everything.

If you don't mind driving to Southern Wisconsin you can find some in Whitewater,WI. Stuff moves slow as molasses around here.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

Harminoff posted:

If you don't mind driving to Southern Wisconsin you can find some in Whitewater,WI. Stuff moves slow as molasses around here.

Really easy to find in Milwaukee, for the last bunch of years there's always been mountains of cases at stores and it lasts a few months.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Furious Lobster posted:

Once was enough. It was good, but not great. I think my homebrew version of the same thing was actually better, even (I know that sounds arrogant, but it just was better).

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah
Holy poo poo, got to try some stuff at the louisville beer store tonight.

1998 Drie Fonteinen Geuze
2001 Drie Fonteinen Geuze
2004 Cantillon Iris
2005 Cantillon Gueuze

and cantillon fou foune.

(and a few other things that were good, but not as good as those)

It was an amazingly good night with some friends, got to talk with the dauntless distributing guy about the sour night they had at against the grain last year and how they're gonna probably do another beer dinner that might not focus on sours, but on other interesting beers.

And I got out of there for $44 bucks.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Furious Lobster posted:

You think that Pliny is easy to get and it's a bomber? :psyduck:

It really depends. In Portland, I see it in bottles regularly and on tap almost always. Apex pretty much nonstop. Russian River doesn't have the production abilities to keep up with Bell's and thus distribute to many markets, though. Sad.

But yes, they're ~17oz bottles and sell for either $4.49 or $4.99 around here. I can't really remember. Definitely not $10.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Catastrophe posted:

It really depends. In Portland, I see it in bottles regularly and on tap almost always. Apex pretty much nonstop. Russian River doesn't have the production abilities to keep up with Bell's and thus distribute to many markets, though. Sad.

But yes, they're ~17oz bottles and sell for either $4.49 or $4.99 around here. I can't really remember. Definitely not $10.

I tend to think of bombers as those that contain 22 oz so I'm a little confused; aslo you're getting them at a nice discount of $4~ per if that's true since they cost around $6 at the brewery itself even though it's been a while since I last bought a couple of cases. Stores will usually sell them at $8 per but not $10; that being said, Alpine's IPAs are a lot tastier, they sell them in 22 oz and they cost a little under $6 per. Easy decision for my go-to IPA.

Edit: 650ml or 750ml are the sizes I think bombers come in - Pliny is this weird 500ml thing, which I wouldn't put in the same category.

Furious Lobster fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 1, 2014

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Furious Lobster posted:

I tend to think of bombers as those that contain 750ml so I'm a little confused; aslo you're getting them at a nice discount of $4~ per if that's true since they cost around $6 at the brewery itself even though it's been a while since I last bought a couple of cases. Stores will usually sell them at $8 per but not $10; that being said, Alpine's IPAs are a lot tastier, they sell them in 750ml and they cost a little under $6 per. Easy decision for my go-to IPA.

I'd rather drink Nelson than just about any other IPA I've ever had. Thanks for that one!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Bombers are usually 22oz. So somewhere in between the 500ml Pliny bottle and the 750ml wine bottle you're thinking of.

:goonsay:

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Furious Lobster posted:

I tend to think of bombers as those that contain 22 oz so I'm a little confused; aslo you're getting them at a nice discount of $4~ per if that's true since they cost around $6 at the brewery itself even though it's been a while since I last bought a couple of cases. Stores will usually sell them at $8 per but not $10; that being said, Alpine's IPAs are a lot tastier, they sell them in 22 oz and they cost a little under $6 per. Easy decision for my go-to IPA.

Edit: 650ml or 750ml are the sizes I think bombers come in - Pliny is this weird 500ml thing, which I wouldn't put in the same category.

I don't think ShaneB meant that Pliny was itself a bomber. He was referencing the standard price of $10 a bomber.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

LeafHouse posted:

I don't think ShaneB meant that Pliny was itself a bomber. He was referencing the standard price of $10 a bomber.

Yes, this. I don't know why more breweries don't use them more, because apparently people will pay far more for beer in them vs. 12oz bottles, even if it's not any better.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

crazyfish posted:

I loving hated Brother Benjamin when I had it. It had that syrupy hop profile that I absolutely despise.

Hmmmm interesting. It's definitely weird, it sure didn't remind me of vodka in any way, but I think I know what you mean. It almost reminded me of a less-bitter (but still pretty bitter) Devil Dancer. "Syrupy" is probably a good way to describe it. Beers and palates are weird and fun! Good to know that they're pretty "legit" overall though. I will have to check out some other other stuff soon.

krustster fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 1, 2014

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Something I didn't know existed (no, not the Duvel)

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

For the life of me I can't figure out the perspective in this picture. Everything is the wrong size.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

HatfulOfHollow posted:

For the life of me I can't figure out the perspective in this picture. Everything is the wrong size.

Ha ha ha ha. The bottles are on top of a high shelf, and if I recall correctly the man is in an area 3-4 steps down from the section I am at. They are not six-foot-tall bottles.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Looks like a 3L of Duvel and a 750 of something that looks like separated sewage.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Compusaurus posted:

Looks like a 3L of Duvel and a 750 of something that looks like separated sewage.

Take a closer look at the logo on the sewage bottle.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003

Furious Lobster posted:

Take a closer look at the logo on the sewage bottle.

How...odd. Victory at Sea Mai Tais anyone?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Furious Lobster posted:

RR charges $6 per bottle not to mention stores' additional cost on top of that. You think Bell's is getting away with prices?

Crooked Stave charges $7 per 350 mL of their flagship beers. 350 mL bottles of their limited releases run from $11-14. These are all sours which does certainly warrant some price increase vs other options due to time spent in the barrel or foeder, but honestly St Bretta ultimately tastes like something constructed for casual drinking and yup, still $7.

Not hatin', just sayin'.

Compusaurus posted:

Random post to say that I love Kasey's! I used to go there when I worked in the building next to the CBOE probably every other week with a coworker that was also fairly into craft beer. Nice laid back kinda place.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Compusaurus posted:

How...odd. Victory at Sea Mai Tais anyone?

They have a bloody Mary mix too...actually a habenero sculpin bloody Mary sounds pretty good.

Zam
Oct 27, 2006

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Ballast Point makes some excellent spirits. I haven't tried any of their mixers, but the spirits are great.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Woaaah.

Also crazyfish, yes, Straight Jacket is legit.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Zam posted:

Ballast Point makes some excellent spirits. I haven't tried any of their mixers, but the spirits are great.

I hope they make more because it seems like no one has anymore; however, the price that I saw ($99) is too much for a relatively new bourbon or single malt that barely has a reputation, despite it's American recognition.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
I don't know if there's anyone here in Eugene, OR, but anyone in Oregon should be thinking about attending Oakshire's Hellshire IV release fest. Not often that you'll see breweries like Cigar City, Lost Abbey, Pizza Port and Pipeworks sending special kegs out here.

Link to a BA post of the partial keg list.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Bought a 2014 Firestone Walker §ucaba today, for seventeen dollars. I'm putting it right next to my Abyss for aging purposes.

As usual, some jackass tried to buy out our entire stock of forty-two bottles that we had. I really do hate beer geeks sometime.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

LEGO Genetics posted:

As usual, some jackass tried to buy out our entire stock of forty-two bottles that we had. I really do hate beer geeks sometime.

beer geeks with money. are you in CA? that's probably more Sucaba than my entire metro area will receive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

LEGO Genetics posted:

Bought a 2014 Firestone Walker §ucaba today, for seventeen dollars. I'm putting it right next to my Abyss for aging purposes.

Sucaba is best fresh. Or at the very least, don't age it more than a year. The same applies to all Firestone BA beers, actually.

Edit: Cue GirlKisser coming in here to say you should drink everything fresh. I can't wait to try some Lacto Guava Grove in a year...