Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bybus Slago
Oct 31, 2005
Maybe I'm just not hip to the jive.
I'm surprised a recommendation for Dorohedoro hasn't come up. So I'll recommend it. Read Dorohedoro. I'd say it fits into a dark fantasty theme, while having a lot of modern touches. The art style takes a bit of getting used to at first, but drat if it isn't worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Bybus Slago posted:

I'm surprised a recommendation for Dorohedoro hasn't come up. So I'll recommend it. Read Dorohedoro. I'd say it fits into a dark fantasty theme, while having a lot of modern touches. The art style takes a bit of getting used to at first, but drat if it isn't worth it.

Gonna second this recommendation. I like to describe Dorohedoro as Alice in Wonderland as done by Clive Barker.

JuanGoat
Nov 6, 2009

UberJumper posted:

Yeah i figured that out last night, and.... :staredog: i didn't sleep at all, i burned through a hundred odd chapters in a single sitting. Honestly i read the summary of what it was about and was extremely skeptical (it sounded extremely stupid), and to top it off the chapter covers were pictures of pretty much almost completely naked girls. But its pretty drat interesting, the art is also top notch (i can actually see and understand clearly what is happening). There are some pretty :smith: moments though (i don't mind this at all though). Its dark and its grim, and i enjoy it.

Pretend the story ends after the Osaka arc. Nothing good will come of reading further.

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009

JuanGoat posted:

Pretend the story ends after the Osaka arc. Nothing good will come of reading further.

Nope. Pretend the story ends after Kei gets out of the Gantz game for the first time. Also stop reading after the vampires show up please!

Oh Snapalope fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jan 23, 2014

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bybus Slago posted:

Yeah, do this. I can't believe I forgot to mention Dorohedoro. Easily the best fantasy-ish manga I've ever read. It takes a completely new and unique approach to the concept of "magic" and avoids many of the tropes that show up in other fantasy/sci-fi settings. As I mentioned in another post, it somehow manages to have a large cast of characters that are simultaneously both funny/likable and abhorrent (I can count the number of characters who don't commit atrocities and/or have abhorrent views on one hand). Such a great comic.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

JuanGoat posted:

I am still enjoying it, i only have i think 40 odd chapters to go left. There are a bunch of plot holes that i don't really get.

The invasion was kind unexpected. :staredog:

One thing i don't get at all, is the sheer amount of hand waving that goes on:

- Kurono dies, and is revived and nobody seems to notice/care.
- Tae dies, and was dead for awhile and even her mother seems completely fine with the fact that she just randomly re-appeared.
- The vampires just kind of disappered? They hate Gantz, and no real explanation is given for that.
- If they can teleport people aboard the alien ship why not just teleport a nuke?
- Kurono's brother is mentioned a couple of times and shown to be a vampire, then he just kind of disappears?
- Okay, so Gantz machine can clone a bunch of people. So why not just take the strongest fighter and clone hundreds of him?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

UberJumper posted:

I am still enjoying it, i only have i think 40 odd chapters to go left. There are a bunch of plot holes that i don't really get.

The invasion was kind unexpected. :staredog:

One thing i don't get at all, is the sheer amount of hand waving that goes on:

- Kurono dies, and is revived and nobody seems to notice/care.
- Tae dies, and was dead for awhile and even her mother seems completely fine with the fact that she just randomly re-appeared.
- The vampires just kind of disappered? They hate Gantz, and no real explanation is given for that.
- If they can teleport people aboard the alien ship why not just teleport a nuke?
- Kurono's brother is mentioned a couple of times and shown to be a vampire, then he just kind of disappears?
- Okay, so Gantz machine can clone a bunch of people. So why not just take the strongest fighter and clone hundreds of him?

You've pretty much perfectly distilled the Gantz thread up to the point you're at.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Except I'm pretty sure we totally do see what happens to Kurono's brother, right? Unless he's just not there in the story yet? He's gotta be if he's at the invasion. Gantz is such a vague fading disappointing memory for me now.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Except I'm pretty sure we totally do see what happens to Kurono's brother, right? Unless he's just not there in the story yet? He's gotta be if he's at the invasion. Gantz is such a vague fading disappointing memory for me now.

Thought his brother got killed by the vampires?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah his brother was killed by the vsmpires when they found out he helped Kurono(I think). Then the two Vampires were stuck in the youkai mission, and they disappeared afterwards.

Gantz was really good(if a bit heavy on the fanservice) for the first half, but it started going downhill once the vampires showed up and hit rock-bottom(and stayed there) around Osaka.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

RatHat posted:

Yeah his brother was killed by the vsmpires when they found out he helped Kurono(I think). Then the two Vampires were stuck in the youkai mission, and they disappeared afterwards.

Gantz was really good(if a bit heavy on the fanservice) for the first half, but it started going downhill once the vampires showed up and hit rock-bottom(and stayed there) around Osaka.

I didn't realize he died, i knew he was a vampire and i kind of expected him to be used as some sort of method for explaining the vampires (who or what are they?)
Was he the head the vampires gave to the gantz people? I don't even really remember what his brother looked like.

Yeah i agree the fanservice stuff got kind of annoying. I am just glad at least it isn't school girls running around.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

UberJumper posted:

I didn't realize he died, i knew he was a vampire and i kind of expected him to be used as some sort of method for explaining the vampires (who or what are they?)
Was he the head the vampires gave to the gantz people? I don't even really remember what his brother looked like.

Yeah i agree the fanservice stuff got kind of annoying. I am just glad at least it isn't school girls running around.

Yeah, the head was Kurono's brother. The vampires are explained in like 1 page. Nanomachines basically. I think they're only attacking the Gantz crew because they were allied with some of the aliens that were killed.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
Yeah i finished Gantz, and :negative:

What a huge let down. THE SHIP IS GOING TO CRASH INTO EARTH! Oh it just randomly explodes. Super aliens show up, tell the humans they gave them the weapons/power/gantz. gently caress.

To me it felt that the author just got sick of the series, and just wanted to end it the fastest possible way.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

UberJumper posted:

To me it felt that the author just got sick of the series, and just wanted to end it the fastest possible way.

The author most in tune with his audience, ever.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

UberJumper posted:

Yeah i finished Gantz, and :negative:

What a huge let down. THE SHIP IS GOING TO CRASH INTO EARTH! Oh it just randomly explodes. Super aliens show up, tell the humans they gave them the weapons/power/gantz. gently caress.

Yeah, I remember there was a time I really enjoyed Gantz even though it was always a bit too cheeseball/fanservice-y for my typical taste, but at this point it's a shame to say it's definitely a series I wouldn't bother recommending to a single person just because the first good chunk of the series is at this point totally outweighed by everything in the second half.
It feels like a series that definitely peaked and climaxed and hit certain points that felt like natural endings, like when a movie feels like it should have ended already but keeps going for twenty more minutes and keep having those moments you think would have been perfect points to end. I remember that major boss battle in the city where they finally get seen by people or whatever (it's so vague and feels like a million years ago at this point) was one of those for me. Was that the "Oni mission"? I don't even know, but it felt like the series should've ended well before all the stupid invasions and foreign Gantz teams and THE TRUTH BEHIND GANTZ reveals.
Still, all things considered I kinda liked Cherry's arc through it all.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 24, 2014

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

You were warned! :colbert:

Now go read Planetes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The story of gantz was garbage, but there were some great fight scenes and a few of the minor characters were wonderful.

Oh Snapalope
Aug 17, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

The story of gantz was garbage, but there were some great fight scenes and a few of the minor characters were wonderful.

My favorite side character was the middle age man that Kei met after he realizes that he must train up a whole new squad by himself.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Oh Snapalope posted:

realizes that he must train up a whole new squad by himself.

Easily the best part of the entire thing. Dinosaurs motorcycles and a panda didn't hurt either.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Guess who just started a new series!

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/220110/kotonoba-drive_v01_ch01_by_roselia-scanlations

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Seems pretty great to me, though from that chapter I'm not really sure what it's going to be about. And that may be for the best.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Is that a manga-ka worth exploring? Which series? I'm afraid I don't think I've heard of them before.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Is that a manga-ka worth exploring? Which series? I'm afraid I don't think I've heard of them before.

just the best post-apocalyptic manga, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

it should belong on the first page really

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

TheFallenEvincar posted:

YKK as mentioned. Kabu no Isaki was good too but the ending confused me

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh yeah, I remember that mentioned. Series with the "slice of life" label tend to turn me off since it's not typically my thing but I'll have to give it a shot anyway just because of the constant appreciation it gets here.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I... guess it's slice of life? If that life took place in some strange postapocalypse like scenario.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
All other slow/chill series are pretenders compared to YKK. Some chapters have hardly any dialogue at all, and just let the beautiful and yet simple visuals do all the work. It's positively brilliant and one of my favorite manga series of all time. It is definitely SOL though, just with a much more interesting setting than most.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Breaky posted:

Ugh... Gantz...

I don't know that it's even worth the disappointment. Started good, had a few good moments buried here and there in the series and then ended stupidly. I guess if you were gonna just marathon it all at once it would be tolerable, but I'd put it to the bottom of the pile.

Is the Gantz manga better than the Gantz anime? I watched a few episodes of the anime and wasn't impressed.

I liked the premise but what ruined things for me was the terrible pacing (I swear characters spent half an episode at a time narrating things) and the fact that MC was a terrible pervert (not in a wacky anime misunderstandings way, but in a weird gropey molesty way). Plus I thought the fights in the anime were pretty bad, but it sounds like they're a strong point in the manga.

Also I don't know if I'm clairvoyant but even then I suspected there was roughly a 0% chance that it would come together for a satisfying conclusion.

Genocyber posted:

Gonna second this recommendation. I like to describe Dorohedoro as Alice in Wonderland as done by Clive Barker.

Clive Barker's Alice in Wonderland is a great description for Dorohedoro and it's a good read, but I think it declines a bit in the later chapters.

Dorohedoro's great at presenting a strange and interesting world, but as it goes on it kinda feels like stuff is just kinda happening arbitrarily.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Elite posted:

Is the Gantz manga better than the Gantz anime? I watched a few episodes of the anime and wasn't impressed.

I've never seen the anime so I can't give you a comparison, but I don't think Gantz is very good. I've never made it through the series. After the first arc it has this feeling like things are just being made up as they go along. Pretty much all manga are written this way, but it's important that you can't tell that just as a reader. New developments don't feel connected to old ones, everything seems random and more about style than substance.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Elite posted:

For the 1st 2 arcs or so. Then, not at all. Honestly it was one of the more disappointing mangas I've read mainly because I started on it when it was relatively new and followed it the entire way through.

Read it if you're bored and don't have anything else to read I guess, otherwise eh...

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I guess the thread's been archived, but it's finally time for Voynich Hotel 60.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Oh yeah, I remember that mentioned. Series with the "slice of life" label tend to turn me off since it's not typically my thing but I'll have to give it a shot anyway just because of the constant appreciation it gets here.

Just read these two chapters and you'll get an idea what it's like:

http://www.mangareader.net/112-3942-1/yokohama-kaidashi-kikou/chapter-61.html
http://www.mangareader.net/112-3929-1/yokohama-kaidashi-kikou/chapter-48.html

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Can anyone summarize Boys on the Run? So far it's not terribly interesting.

I like series with more direction then it has so far, I guess.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
So i read pretty much everything i could get my hands on for Dorohedoro. I have no idea how he is going to finish the entire story up in a single volume. It started out really good, and well it kind of lost something after awhile. But it still is fantastic.

I don't know why but i just felt the Manga lost something when Kaiman died/was removed/replaced (however apparently he is magically back again).

I also am still not 100% sure how the boss and co fit togther.

I know that:

Ai = The Boss (the boss) = Aikiwa
Risu = Curse (after the boss tried to kill him)

But i still do not fully understand how the boss got into Kaiman's mouth, etc. There is also some really weird tone in the manga. It seems to constantly switch between lighthearted and dark as hell.

I also do not understand exactly why Risu was alive as well as Kaiman.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

UberJumper posted:

So i read pretty much everything i could get my hands on for Dorohedoro. I have no idea how he is going to finish the entire story up in a single volume. It started out really good, and well it kind of lost something after awhile. But it still is fantastic.

I don't know why but i just felt the Manga lost something when Kaiman died/was removed/replaced (however apparently he is magically back again).

I also am still not 100% sure how the boss and co fit togther.

I know that:

Ai = The Boss (the boss) = Aikiwa
Risu = Curse (after the boss tried to kill him)

But i still do not fully understand how the boss got into Kaiman's mouth, etc. There is also some really weird tone in the manga. It seems to constantly switch between lighthearted and dark as hell.

I also do not understand exactly why Risu was alive as well as Kaiman.

The stuff with the cross-eyes boss is awkward in that it's hinted at for a long time so you can can make a pretty good guess but when it tries to explain stuff it doesn't clear things up at all. Here's my understanding but it's hard to explain it 100%.

Big Dorohedoro Spoilers.

Ai kinda merges with some evil entity in the Lake of Refuse then undergoes a transplant experiment to become a magic user and ends up with a bunch of split personalities. These include Ai / Kai (The Boss) / Aikiwa ... and later Kaiman too.

The Boss kills Risu to steal his magic but that triggers his curse as retaliation. Curse beheads The Boss then seemingly tries to steal The Boss' body by climbing inside it (this is what I infer from the repeated "Tries to steal everything" line)... but the process gets interrupted by Ebisu's Lizard magic trapping Curse Risu inside and creating Kaiman. Much later En's crew finds Risu's original head and they use that to resurrect him for questioning, resulting in there being 2 Risus (1 as a normal person, 1 trapped inside Kaiman).

Kaiman hunts down magic users trying to recover his identity but earns the ire of En's enforcers and suffers from a minor case of death when Shin decapitates him. However Kaiman doesn't stay dead for long and quickly regrows his head, but the preserved decapitated head is stolen (the most likely culprit for this is one of Kaiman's own split personalities, presumably the same one who cuts out Nikaido's contract with En). Later in the magic user world Kaiman starts recovering his memories and loses his cross-eyes.. but he gets attacked by En. During the fight Kaiman loses his lizard transformation and this time when he dies the curse magic seems to dissipate so internal Risu disappears. Shin and Noi go to retrieve Kaiman's body but the only piece they find is a head and they don't realize it's the head Shin decapitated a year earlier, meanwhile the actual body has been transported away by Asu/Kawajiri. But the body isn't Kaiman at all anymore it's Kai/Aikawa and Kai starts being schizophrenically evil and tries to become a super-being.

Later when Kaiman turns up again it's due to that decapitated head, not from regaining control over TheBoss/Kai/Aikawa. He has his cross-eyes back, he has his head-spikes trimmed and he's missing a year's worth of memories so it's definitely from that head. It's a similar situation to how Risu was resurrected but isn't exactly what happened - maybe the body regrew on its own or maybe Kikurage's magic did it (unclear when there was time to do this but then again Nikaido has time-travel abilities) or maybe a powerful devil could have done it.

Phew. Well, it takes a while to explain multiple deaths and resurrections of a guy with 4 or more separate personalities. So it wasn't TheBoss in Kaimans' mouth it was always Risu, but TheBoss could use the head switching to take control of Kaiman but only rarely. Also it seems like there's odd rules for information sharing between The Boss' split personalities. When Risu tells Aikawa his secret Kai learns about it too, but Aikawa doesn't seem to have any knowledge of Kai's activities at that time. Kaiman starts with no knowledge of the other personalities but he's able to inherit some of their memories by treading familiar ground. Basically it seems like Kai knows everything, but the other personalities only have limited knowledge... though by the end the other personalities seem to have figured things out and spend their time trying to commit suicide or otherwise sabotage Kai's plans.

I agree that the series loses something when Kaiman disappears. I guess I just missed the goofy adventures of a perpetually hungry lizard man.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

UberJumper posted:

Fairly minor correction: the creator is a woman (which might go a way toward explaining her fantastic female characters--Noa's easily my fave Dorohedoro character).

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Gigantomakhia 4 is out: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Gigantomakhia/Vol-001-Ch-004-Read-Online

Miura all will be forgiven if this ends with the colossus being suplexed.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Fairly minor correction: the creator is a woman (which might go a way toward explaining her fantastic female characters--Noa's easily my fave Dorohedoro character).

Wow. Didn't realize the author is a woman. Didn't really expect that with the amount of fan service in that manga. Don't get me wrong though, its definitely one of my favorite series.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh wow, I just finished a re-read of YKK and was wondering what else he had been up to. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Don't underestimate the creepiness of Japanese women. The authors of Rotte's Toy, Mitsudomoe and Kodomo no Jikan are all women.