Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Disenchanted by Robert Kroese was pretty good.

A fate worse than dragons was pretty decent as well. By John Moore.

I've been reading a lot of Tom Holt lately, and while it is sort of pratchett-esque it's not really fantasy per se. It's more of an urban fantasy.

A Lee Martinez has some great fantasy books. Some are fantasy settings, some are "fantasy but set nowadays". All are pretty great. I wasn't a fan of Chasing the Moon though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I've been reading a lot of Tom Holt lately, and while it is sort of pratchett-esque it's not really fantasy per se. It's more of an urban fantasy.

If by that you mean it's the same book written twenty times, yes. Who's Afraid of Beowulf? is still a pretty funny read, mind you, but it's dated horribly.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
He does tend to redo the same story a lot, but if I can handle Eddings and his rehashes, I can handle Holt and his :)

I've been reading the J.W. Wells series, and it's decent so far. Little weird, but mainly I've just been laughing at the fact the main character guy dies multiple times in every book it seems.

Doughtnut and When it's a jar were both fairly good.

Beowulf was pretty decent, but yea, pretty dated.

Ye Gods was kinda decent, but I thought the greek mythology hero quest fantasy/humor stuff was done better in Helen and Troy's Epic Road Quest.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Gonna recommend Robert Rankin again, urban fantasy full of injokes and silliness.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

systran posted:

Speaking of Blindsight, I can't wait until the new book in that universe comes out.

what what whaaaat

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

A Lee Martinez has some great fantasy books. Some are fantasy settings, some are "fantasy but set nowadays". All are pretty great. I wasn't a fan of Chasing the Moon though.

His three best books, in no particular order, are:

Gil's All-Fright Diner
Divine Misfortune
The Automatic Detective

I think my favorite of the three is Automatic Detective, but it's pretty close.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Forgall posted:

Recommend me some good lighthearted non-depressing fantasy. Something like earlier Pratchett.

I really enjoyed Lawrence Watt-Evans' earlier books, The Misenchanted Sword and a few others. It's been awhile since I've read them but I remember they were similar. Though may be hard to find.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I started reading Robin Hobb's Assassin trilogy and I'm getting to the end of the first one. I'm enjoying it a lot, the last book I read was Best Served Cold and this is definitely different but I still really like it even without real actiony sequences.

That being said, poor Fitz and his dogs, man, what the gently caress is up with that? I'm sure more bad poo poo will happen to him but I really hope I don't have to get attached to another dog character and then have it killed.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Forgall posted:

Recommend me some good lighthearted non-depressing fantasy. Something like earlier Pratchett.

The first five or so Myth books by Robert Asprin and almost anything by Lawrence Watt-Evans (start with Misenchanted Sword)are your go-tos. Pratchett dominates the field of comic fantasy but those two were just about the best available before he came along.

Also of course Bridge of Birds.

The Goblin Quest series by Jim C. Hines is pretty great as well, basically a straight-up AD&D parody.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Anybody read Terminal World by Reynolds? I picked it up on a whim at a bookstore recently, haven't cracked it open yet.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

andrew smash posted:

Anybody read Terminal World by Reynolds? I picked it up on a whim at a bookstore recently, haven't cracked it open yet.

Yes. It's probably his single worst book. :( I wouldn't discourage you from reading it now that you've got it, but man.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

General Battuta posted:

Yes. It's probably his single worst book. :( I wouldn't discourage you from reading it now that you've got it, but man.

Ugh great. I should have gotten the stats textbook I was looking at instead.

Echo Cian
Jun 16, 2011

Forgall posted:

Johannes Cabal the Necromancer by Jonathan L. Howard and its sequel made me laugh a lot. Juxtaposes the humor with the serious moments perfectly.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Echo Cian posted:

Johannes Cabal the Necromancer by Jonathan L. Howard and its sequel made me laugh a lot. Juxtaposes the humor with the serious moments perfectly.

Seconded, loved all three so far.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

ukrainius maximus posted:

I started reading Robin Hobb's Assassin trilogy and I'm getting to the end of the first one. I'm enjoying it a lot, the last book I read was Best Served Cold and this is definitely different but I still really like it even without real actiony sequences.

That being said, poor Fitz and his dogs, man, what the gently caress is up with that? I'm sure more bad poo poo will happen to him but I really hope I don't have to get attached to another dog character and then have it killed.
The emotional nadir of the author's life was watching Old Yeller.

ukrainius maximus
Mar 3, 2007
I think you may be on to something, hopefully she's worked through it fully by now and I won't have to deal with that again.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

taser rates posted:

Haven't read the other one, but Ancillary Justice I enjoyed a lot. Really interesting take on AI, transhumanism and imperialism.

See, i didn't find AJ's points on any of those topics terribly arresting, but i did still think it was an interesting examination of culture and language against a kinda generic sci-fi backdrop.

Tony Montana posted:

I had no idea, I've not read it. I'm interested now though, can you give a non-spoiler, brief description of this race?

About all you can say without spoilers is that they have nothing in common with spiders, and a fair bit physically with jellyfish because Watts has a degree in marine biology or something.

Blindsight is very interesting. Somewhat unfortunately, because of the nature of the questions it asks, it has something of a reputation for being existentially horrifying as put best by a SF critic; "Whenever I find my will to live becoming too strong, I read Peter Watts."

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
Last year there was an anthology showcasing the work of authors eligible for The John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer, an award given annually to the best new writer whose first professional work of science fiction or fantasy was published within the two previous calendar years.

This year there's another one, and it's huge: http://stupefyingstories.blogspot.com/2014/01/announcing-2014-campbellian-anthology.html
860,000 words of fiction from 111 newly published SFF authors, all free.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

General Battuta posted:

I would actually discourage you from reading it. It's that bad.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Crisco Kid posted:

Last year there was an anthology showcasing the work of authors eligible for The John W. Campbell Award for Best New Writer, an award given annually to the best new writer whose first professional work of science fiction or fantasy was published within the two previous calendar years.

This year there's another one, and it's huge: http://stupefyingstories.blogspot.com/2014/01/announcing-2014-campbellian-anthology.html

I'll plug them here too: if you're planning to vote, please consider Benjanun Sriduangkaew and Brooke Bolander! Neither of them are me.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

Crisco Kid posted:

Oh, excellent. Last year's anthology was a joy to read, great stories. I can't wait to check out this year's!

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004

vuk83 posted:

So i just read Abbadons gate from the caliban war series. I think i liked the first two better because of the focus on the solar system. Any thing to recommend if im looking for sometjing more in that vein.

I also just finished it, and I'm not sure why but I enjoyed the first two more than the third as well. The books strike a great balance (for me) between completely inane fluff and super-hard sci-fi.

Anyway.

If you want to remain on the solar system, but want to make it much more hard sci-fi, I'll have to say Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars series. They're heavy but do present a completely plausible vision of our solar system in the future. I read them a couple years back, but needed to take breaks between the books :).

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

KSR also did 2312 which is more about the solar system in its entirety than Mars.

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND

Forgall posted:

L. Sprague de Camp is the author you're looking for. The Fallible Fiend is as good a place to start as any.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

ManOfTheYear posted:

I wonder how I can put this in words: Can you guys recommend sci-fi books that have alien and/or robot characters who function like a sentient being that's not human? For example I liked in Mass Effect the alien races having their own cultures and worlds but in the end most of them are just re-skinned humans, with the exceptions of krogans going on and on about war and the asari talking about philosophical lifestyles because they live a thousand years. The Geth were the only actually different race. I'd like to read a book with intelligent life forms who are psychologically completely unlike humans. Bonus points if the life forms is based more or less on an real thing, like an ant colony or something like that.
Banks' The Algebraist, maybe?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

andrew smash posted:

Well I started reading this despite advice and it's like a fluff novel for a painted minis game.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

calandryll posted:

I really enjoyed Lawrence Watt-Evans' earlier books, The Misenchanted Sword and a few others. It's been awhile since I've read them but I remember they were similar. Though may be hard to find.

Read the first three Ethshar books, and the sixth, and then you might as well stop. They should be in print from one small press or another, but you'll probably have to get them online or at a used book store.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Tony Montana posted:

I had no idea, I've not read it. I'm interested now though, can you give a non-spoiler, brief description of this race?

I really can't without spoiling it. Everyone talks about the one big trait, but there is a bunch of other stuff that is almost completely alien (like, split away from our branch of life while we were still single celled, confirmed only through work on deep sea vents and the archaeological evidence of microbiological activities levels of alien) that is part of them and core plot points.

"invisible hive mind" is not part of it

The guy was a marine biologist with a focus on neurology and microorganisms who did most of his scientific work studying the impact of climate change on populations. It informs a lot of his work.

mdemone posted:

what what whaaaat

One border guard, one trial, one flesh eating disease, one marriage, and 3 editors later he finally finished Echopraxia. It is due out August 28th this year.

The trial and surgery kept him out of work, but the real hold up was the editing issue, he had 2 books come out since then while he was getting the run around on editing Echopraxia. There are some blog posts discussing it (and excerpts from Echopraxia, including a diagram of the space ship) on his blog

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 1, 2014

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

She writes some of the finest angstfic on the market, I think. Makes me feel like a teenager again.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Fried Chicken posted:

I really can't without spoiling it. Everyone talks about the one big trait, but there is a bunch of other stuff that is almost completely alien (like, split away from our branch of life while we were still single celled, confirmed only through work on deep sea vents and the archaeological evidence of microbiological activities levels of alien) that is part of them and core plot points.

"invisible hive mind" is not part of it

The guy was a marine biologist with a focus on neurology and microorganisms who did most of his scientific work studying the impact of climate change on populations. It informs a lot of his work.

One border guard, one trial, one flesh eating disease, one marriage, and 3 editors later he finally finished Echopraxia. It is due out August 28th this year.

The trial and surgery kept him out of work, but the real hold up was the editing issue, he had 2 books come out since then while he was getting the run around on editing Echopraxia. There are some blog posts discussing it (and excerpts from Echopraxia, including a diagram of the space ship) on his blog

From what he posted on the two editions he was quite unhappy with the original and has not expressed the same level of dissatisfaction with the second. He described the level of discomfort he felt with it as being comparable to what he felt with Blindsight. Hopefully that means the ending isn't quite as rushed (I actually didn't mind the ending and thought it was okay, but going by general sentiment).

The first editor he had sounded flakey and weird as hell.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Don't worry, soon you'll just start sighing and wanting to slap Fitz upside the head every time he does something stupid.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

andrew smash posted:

Well I started reading this despite advice and it's like a fluff novel for a painted minis game.
It's young adult fiction but someone hosed up and forgot to market it and sell it as that. That being said... I didn't hate it. It was definitely his weakest book but I found the premise interesting enough to slog through it.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Book bundles, like its computer game counterpart, seems to be gaining popularity, selling books from known and lesser known authors for a reasonable price.
Even the Humble Bundle have had a few runs, where they sell ebook bundles and currently have an audio book bundle for the next 3 days, though theirs is usually a mixed bag of genre and non-genre books.

The latest sci-fi/fantasy bundle, as far as I have seen, is the BookBale Bundle. It's run by Phoenix Pic/Arc Manor, and the Pay What You Want starts with a minimum of $2.99 for these 6 books:
  • Lights in the Deep by Brad Torgerson
  • Veiled Alliances by Kevin J. Anderson
  • Ocean by Brian Herbert and Jan Herbert
  • Iterations by Robert J. Sawyer (short story collection)
  • Their Majesties’ Bucketeers by L. Neil Smith
  • Alien Influences by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
Pay a minimum of $10 and you also get
  • Ivory by Mike Resnick
  • The Long Tomorrow by Leigh Brackett

Does anyone know any of these books and care to comment on them?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert are poo poo writers. The only book I've read by Robert J. Sawyer (Red Planet Blues) was a weak 3/5.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Every sequel to Feist's Magician is just so, so bad

Jimmy the Hand will save us while smirking like an rear end in a top hat!

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Now I've my exam out the way (hopefully for good) I've bit more time to read. I picked up what turns out to be the second Corum anthology Corum: The Prince with the Silver Hand and I am thoroughly enjoying it as I have all of the odds and ends of Moorcock I've read over the years. It feels a lot different to the Elric and Hawkmoon stories, possibly because the setting is almost as unfamiliar to Corum as it is to me. Must track down the first anthology when I've cleared some of my backlog.

I can't find any previous mention of Moorcock which is a shame as he's been a hugely influential writer in his time and has genuinely grown as a writer. Yes Elric has become a cliche but the The Dancers at the End of Time was a beautifully strange little series.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Fart of Presto posted:

Book bundles, like its computer game counterpart, seems to be gaining popularity, selling books from known and lesser known authors for a reasonable price.
Even the Humble Bundle have had a few runs, where they sell ebook bundles and currently have an audio book bundle for the next 3 days, though theirs is usually a mixed bag of genre and non-genre books.

The latest sci-fi/fantasy bundle, as far as I have seen, is the BookBale Bundle. It's run by Phoenix Pic/Arc Manor, and the Pay What You Want starts with a minimum of $2.99 for these 6 books:
  • Lights in the Deep by Brad Torgerson
  • Veiled Alliances by Kevin J. Anderson
  • Ocean by Brian Herbert and Jan Herbert
  • Iterations by Robert J. Sawyer (short story collection)
  • Their Majesties’ Bucketeers by L. Neil Smith
  • Alien Influences by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
Pay a minimum of $10 and you also get
  • Ivory by Mike Resnick
  • The Long Tomorrow by Leigh Brackett

Does anyone know any of these books and care to comment on them?

My thoughts about Alien Influences on Goodreads:

quote:

Kind of a weird, depressing novel about abused children who become abused adults, oh and there's some aliens in there somewhere. Actually, for a book called "Alien Influences" I wish there'd have been more aliens. The Dancers are the main exospecies of the book but, after the first 20% or so of the book, they only get talked about (rather than actually appearing). There are allusions to many other species but this book hardly explores alien biology, society, etc, at all.

Other science fiction elements are also very, very light. They take a backseat to the more fantasy/spiritual elements of the Dancers' powers. Also, the worldbuilding was incredibly light. I would've liked to know more about this universe, its history, exactly how far humans have gone into space, how many species they've encountered, and so on. None of this was really delved into. Far more, it's a book about psychology. That's fine I guess but it's not the kind of book I'm into.

The ending lacked any real revelations, and overall the plot was alright, but the book felt like just a series of underwhelming events strung together.

Yeah I wouldn't really recommend it, sorry.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Megazver posted:

Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert are poo poo writers. The only book I've read by Robert J. Sawyer (Red Planet Blues) was a weak 3/5.

And L. Neil Smith as far as I know is a crazy libertarian type (even for an SF author).

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Didn't L Neil Smith write The Probability Broach?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I haven't read Ivory, but I like Mike Resnick from reading his Starship series. It looks like it's settings is future Africa though instead of uh, space, so that pretty much squashes any interest I had.