Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Diet Poison posted:

Oh christ that led me to this amazing one which has, in my opinion, one of the best Ray lines, and we have to hear them as repeated by Teodor.
edit: And the strip right after has one of the best Nice Pete lines ever. God drat! Achewood was ON in 05.

Ray seems to focus on his childhood era a lot around this time.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08032005
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08042005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ray likes the old school.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Woops. This one isn't too far ahead of the Great Outdoor Fight. Better grab a snack and a beverage.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
I do not remember this one, but it both has Teodor making a similar face to the most recent strip, where he's gritting he teeth against the inevitable, and it has him wearing a jaunty hat, but not on the head that it is intended for.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12212005

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Can someone explain to me why the Great Outdoor Fight appeals to everyone? I've always thought it was incredibly boring, and signaled the decline of Achewood and the descent into the trend of long, terrible storylines that I do not care about.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Darth Windu posted:

Can someone explain to me why the Great Outdoor Fight appeals to everyone? I've always thought it was incredibly boring, and signaled the decline of Achewood and the descent into the trend of long, terrible storylines that I do not care about.

It appeals because it was a perfect comic. Scientists are still figuring it out.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Ya'll remember Darth Windu next time you think I am the most negative man saying Achewood hell of sucks and is all dilapidated.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
:siren: New strip is up :siren:

An unexpected visit from Pat :ohdear:

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
This seems pretty disjointed even for Pat, like he is high as all balls

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

mfcrocker posted:

I think it's a pretty pure distillation of the character. He invades a person's space, actively sabotages what they were doing while simultaneously flaunting his moral superiority under the guise of "helping," and with his work complete and his ego sated he takes off like a bolt to find another person's day to ruin.

Pat is an rear end in a top hat.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

JethroMcB posted:

I think it's a pretty pure distillation of the character. He invades a person's space, actively sabotages what they were doing while simultaneously flaunting his moral superiority under the guise of "helping," and with his work complete and his ego sated he takes off like a bolt to find another person's day to ruin.

Pat is an rear end in a top hat.

Agreed. They kind of did this with Philippe, but he is Philippe so it's hard to notice. I hope Vlad shows up next so he can do sexy stuff, and because he ain't been around for a few months.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

mfcrocker posted:

It reads more like Onstad tried to fit the platonic ideal of Pat into six panels. And he succeeded.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.
I still can't quite figure out what he was doing. He took their potato, stuck in a bag, stepped on it, and then ran off, leaving behind a bag of some sort of alt-potato fiber supplement? It's like he's a meddlesome gargoyle from a 90's adventure game.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Fillerbunny posted:

I still can't quite figure out what he was doing. He took their potato, stuck in a bag, stepped on it, and then ran off, leaving behind a bag of some sort of alt-potato fiber supplement?

I think it is a crowd-sourced promotion by the makers of Freekeh-Chia. They hand out a bunch of empty bags with the labels as shown. You are encouraged to take away bad food from other people, seal it in the bag, and give it back to them (Pat only squashed the potato after putting it in the bag because he is an rear end in a top hat, Freekeh-Chia probably doesn't encourage that kind of behavior). If they take the unopened bag of bad food to the nearest Freekeh-Chia distributor then they get a discount on their first purchase.

withak fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 31, 2014

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009

Darth Windu posted:

I agree. The Great Outdoor Fight was when Achewood started to become painfully self-aware. Take a look at the great stories preceding it: Ray's Toilet Party, The Banjo, and The Volvo of Despair. The humor was unpredictable and visceral. You liked them in a way you couldn't explain. And then take a look at the stories that came after: The Badass Games and Pat's Dad. The stories read like "alright now how should I use this character?" and it became like any long-running comic ever.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Vogler posted:

I agree. The Great Outdoor Fight was when Achewood started to become painfully self-aware. Take a look at the great stories preceding it: Ray's Toilet Party, The Banjo, and The Volvo of Despair. The humor was unpredictable and visceral. You liked them in a way you couldn't explain.

No, I'm pretty sure I can explain exactly why I like them - because they are funny, and good, much like the GOF.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Vogler posted:

I agree. The Great Outdoor Fight was when Achewood started to become painfully self-aware. Take a look at the great stories preceding it: Ray's Toilet Party, The Banjo, and The Volvo of Despair. The humor was unpredictable and visceral. You liked them in a way you couldn't explain. And then take a look at the stories that came after: The Badass Games and Pat's Dad. The stories read like "alright now how should I use this character?" and it became like any long-running comic ever.

Lets put the depressed one and the happy one in the sad car and see what happens is a perfect example of "how should I use these characters"

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Vogler posted:

I like them in a way i can explain but i understand if you find it difficult to form sentences

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Vogler posted:

Bravo. I agree completely, and i applaud your bravery in saying it in this hugbox of a thread. Achewood is still fine, but it is fine because there is a recognizable remnant of the thing you once loved, just as when one meets an old, fat high school friend. The Badass Games was also a laughably transparent attempt to recreate the Great Outdoor Fight, and it was utterly predictable who would win since Onstad worships the past and has turned Mr. Bear into an avatar of longing for a bygone era.

Darth Windu fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 31, 2014

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Darth Windu posted:

Bravo. I agree completely, and i applaud your bravery in saying it in this hugbox of a thread. Achewood is still fine, but it is fine because there is a recognizable remnant of the thing you once loved, just as when one meets an old, fat high school friend.

If you think this thread, in which the majority of posts are talking about how THIS IS A GOOD DAY FOR ACHEWOOD TO DIE or how sure everyone is that this or that joke is indicative of Onstad's psychosis or whatever, is a hugbox, then boy, I just don't know.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

A hugbox is any environment where the majority opinion is different from my own. :colbert: It is a sign of bravery and conviction when anyone is bold enough to share an opinion that multiple people may disagree with.

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

Darth Windu posted:

The Badass Games was also a laughably transparent attempt to recreate the Great Outdoor Fight

What? They baked bread. Please relate that to the Great Outdoor Fight for me.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Big Achewood Hug Fan Here

BitterAvatar
Jun 19, 2004

I do not miss the future

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Big Achewood Hug Fan Here

Hug the gently caress out of 'em WoodrowSkillson!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

BitterAvatar posted:

Surely they were at least Ultimate Fighting against wino?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

BitterAvatar posted:

It was an attempt to make a Big Cool Event!! that everyone would love and it petered out hilariously.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
When the Badass Games arc started I also thought "Oh, GOF retread," but aside from the framing device of "There's a contest" it's very different in tone and content, a weeklong jaunt instead of a 3 month epic. Reading it now leads me to think that Onstad simply missed writing in the secondary and tertiary characters' voices (GOF was followed immediately by Phllipe's search for the couch and shortly thereafter the Magic Underpants story, both of which were very Ray/Beef/Teodor heavy) and just needed an excuse to put them all in a situation where they had to respond to the same external stimuli.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I feel like it was largely done to make people like Cornelius a bit more.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I have no loving idea what T and Penny are saying in the last few panels. If I was completely honest, I am pretty drat lost whenever Onstad starts talking poo poo like that.
That and when characters drop esoteric foods into a conversation. It is funny how just about everyone is a giant foodie. Even Beef, who you wouldn't expect to have highfaluting cooking tastes, comes up with things I don't have the foggiest idea about.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I feel like it was largely done to make people like Cornelius a bit more.

I think you overestimate the extent Onstadt could possibly be bothered to cater to reader awareness.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

If he did the Badass Games today the last event would be everyone looking at the camera/frame and talking about how women are terrible and will ruin everything if not properly controlled.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Pretty much every Achewood strip has been retreading the same thing since they figured out where the drum machine manual was.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Darth Windu posted:

It was an attempt to make a Big Cool Event!! that everyone would love and it petered out hilariously.

It's deliberately small and low key and serves as an arch reversal on the grandiose celebration of masculinity in Outdoor Fight. Here the big event is a bunch of suburban dudes hanging out at someone's house doing stupid poo poo and it is ultimately determined that the biggest badass is a well-rounded, soft-spoken older gentleman who can make pasta. I think you're correct in that it is a conscious reply to his earlier work, but I don't think you got what he was trying to do.

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life
I like to imagine the Badass Games was Ray and Beef's response to "becoming the ruling body" at the GOF. Not one of my favorite arcs but then again the GOF, Transfer Station and Magic Underpants arcs were a phenomenal streak. The strips after Ray buys Airwolf and Keith Moon's head may be my favorites all-time.

On another note, one arc I liked more on reread was the Lonis Edison arc. The surreal arcs are hit or miss but that was a hit.

Uatu The Lurker
Sep 14, 2003

I can say no more!
Already I have over stayed my time in this ephemeral sphere!

Darth Windu posted:

Bravo. I agree completely, and i applaud your bravery in saying it in this hugbox of a thread.

> LOOK WEST

THERE IS A
CHILD.

> HUG
THAT CHILD

THAT CHILD IS
DARTH WINDU.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Johnny Aztec posted:

I have no loving idea what T and Penny are saying in the last few panels. If I was completely honest, I am pretty drat lost whenever Onstad starts talking poo poo like that.
That and when characters drop esoteric foods into a conversation. It is funny how just about everyone is a giant foodie. Even Beef, who you wouldn't expect to have highfaluting cooking tastes, comes up with things I don't have the foggiest idea about.

Same, the last row of panels seems like it should be phrases, but it's something else which almost makes sense.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Man, I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't know what in the gently caress is supposed to be being said in the last row of panels. I get that they're making GBS threads on U2 but there's about 8 million easier things you could say to poo poo on U2 than whatever those things are.

Basically,

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life
The best part of the strip was the first panel I think.

I agree its a lot of words for a joke effectively about how Pat's armpit-hair-and-a-'91-Jetta food has a lot of fibre in it.

I also enjoy the completely worthless coupon. How the hell are you supposed to return the bag unopened?

grading essays nude fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jan 31, 2014

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

projecthalaxy posted:

If he did the Badass Games today the last event would be everyone looking at the camera/frame and talking about how women are terrible and will ruin everything if not properly controlled.

Chris is so furious about his bad ex-wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Loving Life Partner posted:

Man, I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't know what in the gently caress is supposed to be being said in the last row of panels. I get that they're making GBS threads on U2 but there's about 8 million easier things you could say to poo poo on U2 than whatever those things are.

Basically,

"Almost completely solid, but with some soft stuff by the edge" is meant to both describe U2 albums and the consistency of their poop, should they choose to eat the Freekeh-Chia.