Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

Is there a hidden danger that could kill you in the cockpit of your new fighter plane? We'll tell you what it is after the game.

Coming up next: Which Stealth Fighter is the right one for your needs? The results of our test might surprise you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

ArchangeI posted:

Coming up next: Which Stealth Fighter is the right one for your needs? The results of our test might surprise you!

The joke here is that no matter what answers you put in, it always spits out the F-35, and then refuses to let you retest

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I'm more entertained than I ought to be that in AC, the F-22 carries its 2000 missiles internally. The F-35? All of it is external. Including the gun. :laugh:

Of course, we all need to be aware the game is fictional. After all, it has a functioning F-35B.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

benito posted:

Haven't read through this, but there seems to be a lot of AWACS experience around here:

http://steeljawscribe.com/2007/02/27/history-of-aew-project-cadillac-ii-part-one

SJS is a pretty cool dude and everyone here should go read his Flightdeck Friday series. Detailed knowledge filled posts about pretty much every corner of Naval Aviation, along with a bunch of other stuff.

Also in case you needed further convincing that you should go visit the museum at Pensacola, here's a write-up he did that says what we were all trying to say far more eloquently:

quote:

Here, you can walk right up to arguably the two most important aircraft in the Museum’s inventory – the NC-4 and an SBD-2 Dauntless that survived Pearl Harbor and Midway. You can run your hand along the hull of the NC-4, feel the polished smoothness of the wooden props, and admire, up close and personal, the assortment of guy wires and doped fabric that held and covered the first aircraft to cross the Atlantic. Here you can run your hand over the fuselage near the gunner’s mount and observe the seeming random squares of skin rivited in place – reminders of the desperate battles in the skies over the Pacific as BuNo 2106 as one of only 8 of VMSB-241′s strike launched from Midway against the Kido Butai. Originally assigned to VB-2 on Lexington after Pearl Harbor (it was being held at Ford Island for further transfer to the Marines on Midway) BuNo 2106 participated in the first coordinated strike against Japanese shipping when on 10 March 1942, flown by Lieutenant (junior grade) Mark T. Whittier with Aviation Radioman Second Class Forest G. Stanley as his gunner, the aircraft joined 103 other planes from Lexington and Yorktown (CV 5) in a raid against Japanese shipping at Lae and Salamaua in New Guinea. Credited with pressing home his attack against a Japanese ship, Whittier received the Navy Cross.

At Midway, with with 1st Lieutenant Daniel Iverson as pilot and Private First Class Wallace Reid manning the .30-caliber machine gun in the aft cockpit, BuNo 2106 was one of sixteen SBD-2s of VMSB-241 launched to attack Japanese aircraft carriers to the west of Midway. Approaching the enemy carrier Hiryu, the Marine planes came under fire from antiaircraft gunners and fighters of the enemy combat air patrol. Iverson, with two Japanese Zero fighters following him down in his dive, released his bomb at an altitude of 800 feet. While egressing the target area, the pair of Zeroes on Iverson’s tail were joined by two others, which pursued the Dauntless for miles, holing his plane 219 times, knocking out his hydraulic system and wounding Reid. One bullet came so close that it clipped Iverson’s throat microphone chord. Nevertheless, he managed to return to Midway, making a one-wheel landing on the atoll. His was one of only eight SBD-2s of VMSB-241 to return from the attack against the Japanese fleet. For their actions, Iverson received the Navy Cross and Reid was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross.

So yeah, not only was that aircraft present at both Pearl Harbor and Midway but two pilots were awarded the Navy Cross while flying her.

And make sure to click that link to go see the pictures, I forgot to mention that earlier...that thing is COVERED in patches.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

benito posted:

Happened to be reading about the B-17 for some odd reason tonight and thought this was an interesting sidenote.

Via Wikipedia:

Haven't read through this, but there seems to be a lot of AWACS experience around here:

http://steeljawscribe.com/2007/02/27/history-of-aew-project-cadillac-ii-part-one

I've read that the B-17 was also used very early in the US' involvement in Vietnam for dropping agents. Granted, this was from an older publication.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

StandardVC10 posted:

I've read that the B-17 was also used very early in the US' involvement in Vietnam for dropping agents. Granted, this was from an older publication.

Considering we were "involved" in Vietnam at least as early as 1946.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Yeah, I was gonna say, it depends on what your definition of the Vietnam War is. It's entirely possible like Outside Dawg said. Hell, 1946 isn't even that early, I'm sure there were American boots on the ground in WWII, even.

The relationship the US and Vietnam has now is amazing and should be recognized the world over as how you ideally move past nation-state conflicts when they arise. It's probably the only thing that gives me hope after the Iraq War, maybe one day, ya know?

Well, probably not.

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
According to this article, this photo is of an OSS "Deer Team" taken in what was then Indochina in 1945, you may spot one or two recognizable faces in the photo.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Col. Robin Olds :allears:

click for huge

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2014/01/29/the_littlest_boy_cold_war_backpack_nuke

Here's an article about cold war SADM teams.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

How do I get past their stupid paywall poo poo?

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Akion posted:

How do I get past their stupid paywall poo poo?

The paywall is just a div id overlaying the content, and it tracks your monthly views with a cookie.

(adblock and delete the cookie)

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Right, they really only gloss over the 'operational wisdom' of employing SADMs for anything else than shaping the battlefield but god drat those offensive delivery use cases sound loving stupid.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Koesj posted:

Right, they really only gloss over the 'operational wisdom' of employing SADMs for anything else than shaping the battlefield but god drat those offensive delivery use cases sound loving stupid.

Not really; the part they truly gloss over is that SADMs make the most sense as part of a first strike. If a national leader decides based on warnings that an overwhelming conventional and possibly nuclear attack is imminent, and decides to preempt that attack, SADMs allow for the selective destruction of high value targets with high accuracy virtually no warning. It's SLBMs before SLBMs achieved their present level of accuracy. Those A-Teams wouldn't be going in at the start of World War III, they'd be going in to start World War III.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

benito posted:

Happened to be reading about the B-17 for some odd reason tonight and thought this was an interesting sidenote.

Via Wikipedia:

I knew about the program but no real details...cool as gently caress, thanks. :)

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.

PhotoKirk posted:

This one weird trick helps reduce RADAR cross section.

FrozenVent posted:

SAM operators HATE him.

This made me laugh out loud.

Then I spent over an hour and a half ( :cripes: ) making this:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Crescendo posted:

Hah holy gently caress this is a thing of beauty

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Crescendo posted:

Someone should buy this as a banner ad that directs to this thread, it's pretty good.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Dead Reckoning posted:

Those A-Teams wouldn't be going in at the start of World War III, they'd be going in to start World War III.

Like I said...

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

Appropriate usage of comic sans :golfclap:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Crescendo posted:

hahaha jesus loving christ that's golden

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Crescendo posted:

That is a thing of beauty.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
If any of you read Niall Ferguson, I implore you not to do so because he doesn't know anything and I've gone and Cyrano'd all over the A/T Military History thread as to why.

Oh, and I purchased that banner but I had to resize it a bit.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jan 31, 2014

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Aw, shucks. Thanks guys :3:

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Mar 31, 2017

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I have tried to read the Pity of War about three times in the decade-plus I have owned it. Each time I stop caring and stop reading. I eat thousand page history books for breakfast but not this one. Stops me dead every time.

Good to know I don't ever need to bother with attempt #4.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Davy Crocketts were withdrawn from service in the early 70s.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/systems/w54.htm

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Psion posted:

I have tried to read the Pity of War about three times in the decade-plus I have owned it. Each time I stop caring and stop reading. I eat thousand page history books for breakfast but not this one. Stops me dead every time.

Good to know I don't ever need to bother with attempt #4.

Speaking of history books that you don't read I still haven't been able to read through the book about Blackwater/Xe/Whatever because the opening chapters made me so incredibly angry at the sheer and utter stupidity of what was going on with their infamous Iraqi shooting that I couldn't continue.

I also haven't gone through both Max Hastings books I've got as well but that is mostly because reading a brick while on the loo is really awkward.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

50 Foot Ant posted:

By the 1970's/early 1980's Madam had slimmed down quite a bit and only weighed about 150 lbs, where Sad Man only weighed about 75 lbs. The amount of atomic snake eaters had gone down though, and mostly they sat in the states. There was a Ranger unit out of Wildflecken that handled a lot of tasks that the article is claiming were handled by nuclear special-ed.

The Davey Crockett Suicide Machine was down to the point where there were two versions, one of which we figured probably worked right. One was a tripod mounted, implosion sphere weapon, the other looked like a smaller WW-II bazooka and probably wasn't worth a gently caress.

The NEW is also off in the article, talking about 1-15 kt.

The Army had a lot of artillery nuclear rounds to back that poo poo up with in case the USSR swept down to the south instead of trying to muscle through the chokepoint of the Fulda Gap so that they could get deadstopped on a nuclear wasteland.

An interesting article, but holy poo poo is it eye-roll worthy.
Can you tell us more about the surety inspections? Did they exist? From your anecdotes, I'm wondering how in the hell anyone passed them.

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Oh, and I purchased that banner but I had to resize it a bit.

Haha, I was browsing the forums unaware and I did a double-take when I saw your ad. A pleasant surprise. :)

I also tried my hand at an obnoxious GIF to suit the SA banner restrictions:

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 31, 2017

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Nostalgia4ColdWar fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 31, 2017

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Psion posted:

I'm more entertained than I ought to be that in AC, the F-22 carries its 2000 missiles internally. The F-35? All of it is external. Including the gun. :laugh:

Of course, we all need to be aware the game is fictional. After all, it has a functioning F-35B.

So can you actually 'stealth' external missiles to make them less of a drawback, and do existing designs make any attempt to do this?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Holy. poo poo. :stare:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Naramyth posted:

Holy. poo poo. :stare:

Go search around in GiP for more 50 Foot Ant posts, it gets better.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

50 Foot Ant posted:

EDIT: I could get into some of the weirder Cold War poo poo that went on at the end and following, but then I'll sound like that crazy guy who hangs around outside 7-11 with a tinfoil hat on his head waving a badly Xeroxed copy of his manifesto.

I thought that was what you did on Sundays?

Seriously though. Your stories about Cold War Bullshit are the best.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Deptfordx posted:

So can you actually 'stealth' external missiles to make them less of a drawback, and do existing designs make any attempt to do this?

Bearing in mind my armchair general status: Not really. It's also not just ordnance: If you have pylons, much less missiles on said pylons, you have noticeable radar return. This is one of the more frequent (and frankly, justified) jabs at the F-35: it can't carry much internally, meaning it almost has to use external stores to perform anything beyond the most basic of mission profiles, meaning hello RCS. There are some roles which the F-35 will be tasked for where, iirc, it will literally be unable to perform without external stores. Anything involving carrying a HARM or Maverick or whatever, for example - so SEAD/DEAD goes right out the window, etc etc.

You can have missiles which go for a low-RCS shape, e.g. Storm Shadow/SCALP EG but that's more for when they're in flight versus on your plane. Also there are performance tradeoffs so I'm not aware of any low-RCS AMRAAM projects or anything.

Psion fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 1, 2014

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Psion posted:

Anything involving carrying a HARM or Maverick or whatever, for example - so SEAD/DEAD goes right out the window, etc etc.

The F-35 has some issues, but you can totally do DEAD with SDB's instead of Harms or Mavericks. If sensors pick up ADA assets and you stealthily drop SDBs on them, the ADA is hosed.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Oh right, I forgot about SDB. Fair enough. On the other hand is the CEP for that thing small enough to ensure a good hit probability on your average radar trailer? I don't know much about SDBs other than they can apparently glide for a really long-rear end time.

(perhaps unfair, but also how many other F-35s will get tasked to do air-to-air coverage for the F-35 that's only carrying SDBs)

also the USAF should get ALARMs. I don't care if they do or don't work, the idea that they can pop a little chute and loiter around looking for radar to gently caress up is awesome.

Psion fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I may be wrong, but my understanding is that one pylon can carry 3 SDBs. Thus, an F-35 could carry 6x SDB and 2x AMRAAM. And our bombs are pretty loving accurate nowadays.